Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 04. 10,000 Days (Wings pt. 2)
User Name
Password
troutp's Avatar troutp
05-07-2006, 06:08 PM

A Lyrical Analysis of Maynard's Experience with His Mother / God

Eulogy

This songs suggests that Maynard is mocking Christ, telling him to "get off his fucking cross," since "not all martyrs see divinity." It proposes the idea that MJK denies the sacrifice of Christ as a payment for the sins of man, and more for his own sin of teaching lies.

Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
What was it like to see
The face of your own stability
Suddenly look away
Leaving you with the dead and hopeless?

Eleven and she was gone.
Eleven is when we waved good-bye.
Eleven is standing still,
Waiting for me to free him
By coming home.

Moving me with a sound.
Opening me within a gesture.
Drawing me down and in,
Showing me where it all began,
Eleven.
Maynard is remembering his mother,his experiences with her and when she had her stroke. The mother, for most children, is God; the mother is their protector, their stability.

Judith

Maynard is angry at his mother's continued devotion to "her God, her Christ," because he let her have a stroke even though she believed, trusted, and devoted her life to him.

The Grudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grudge
Clutch it like a cornerstone. Otherwise it all comes down.
Justify denials and grip 'em to the lonesome end.
Terrified of being wrong. Ultimatum prison cell.
"Clutch it like a cornerstone. Otherwise it all comes down. Justify denials and grip 'em to the lonesome end." I believe this means that Maynard is telling himself to not lose hold of his former beliefs, otherwise everything he has convinced himself about God not existing would fall apart, making him start anew. He wants to be right about the lack of existance of a God, but he is also terrified of the possibility of him being wrong.

Quote:
Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity.
Calculate what we will or will not tolerate.
Desperate to control all and everything.
Unable to forgive your scarlet lettermen.
MJK wears his grudge against God on him every day of his life, as if it was his life. He is "desperate to control" everything that happens, because he wants to believe that he is the only one in control of his life. He is "unable to forgive" God for what he did to his mother, so he continues to be stubborn and devoted to his beliefs at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'The Grudge"
Saturn comes back around. Lifts you up like a child or
Drags you down like a stone
To consume you till you choose to let this go.

Give away the stone.
Let the oceans take and transmutate this cold and fated anchor.
Give away the stone.
Let the waters kiss and transmutate these leaden grudges into gold.
Let go.
In this verse, I believe that MJK is finally beginning to let his anger and hatred towards God be dissolved, and to start letting it go.

Coincidentally, the orbit of Saturn is roughly 10,000 days(1). Now on to TOOL's most recent album.

In Wings (1/2), Maynard is past being angry at God, and is letting his mother go without giving her trouble for believing something he thinks is a lie. He is surrounded by people (ignorant fibbers) that claim to be of faith, who fake trials and tribulations to seem more faithful, and is angered because they are nothing compared to his mother. He wants his mother, should she see God after her death, to finally recieve what he thinks she should be given for being such a devout Christian; her wings.

He lets his anger towards God and his grieving for his mother come to a rest with 10,000 days.

(1) 10,000 Days applies to many things. First, and foremost, it applies to the twenty-seven years that Judith Marie Keenan (MJK's mother, and actually MJK is James Maynard Keenan, so they have the same initials.) endured while being paralyzed and broken from her stroke whe Maynard was eleven. Second, it applies, roughly, to the length of Saturn's orbit around the sun. I think that when MJK was eleven, he first started hating God for what he did to his mother, and when he mentions Saturn in The Grudge (written 27 years after his mother's stroke?), he is letting his anger towards God come to a rest.

Any thoughts, speculations, or corrections?

Last edited by troutp; 05-07-2006 at 09:17 PM..
Old 05-07-2006, 06:08 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Analysis of Maynard's Experience with His Mother / God

Eulogy

This songs suggests that Maynard is mocking Christ, telling him to "get off his fucking cross," since "not all martyrs see divinity." It proposes the idea that MJK denies the sacrifice of Christ as a payment for the sins of man, and more for his own sin of teaching lies.

Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
What was it like to see
The face of your own stability
Suddenly look away
Leaving you with the dead and hopeless?

Eleven and she was gone.
Eleven is when we waved good-bye.
Eleven is standing still,
Waiting for me to free him
By coming home.

Moving me with a sound.
Opening me within a gesture.
Drawing me down and in,
Showing me where it all began,
Eleven.
Maynard is remembering his mother,his experiences with her and when she had her stroke. The mother, for most children, is God; the mother is their protector, their stability.

Judith

Maynard is angry at his mother's continued devotion to "her God, her Christ," because he let her have a stroke even though she believed, trusted, and devoted her life to him.

The Grudge

Quote:
Terrified of being wrong. Ultimatum prison cell.
"Clutch it like a cornerstone. Otherwise it all comes down. Justify denials and grip 'em to the lonesome end." I believe this means that Maynard is telling himself to not lose hold of his former beliefs, otherwise everything he has convinced himself about God not existing would fall apart, making him start anew. He wants to be right about the lack of existance of a God, but he is also terrified of the possibility of him being wrong.

Quote:
Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity.
Calculate what we will or will not tolerate.
Desperate to control all and everything.
Unable to forgive your scarlet lettermen.
MJK wears his grudge against God on him every day of his life, as if it was his life. He is "desperate to control" everything that happens, because he wants to believe that he is the only one in control of his life. He is "unable to forgive" God for what he did to his mother, so he continues to be stubborn and devoted to his beliefs at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'The Grudge"
Saturn comes back around. Lifts you up like a child or
Drags you down like a stone
To consume you till you choose to let this go.

Give away the stone.
Let the oceans take and transmutate this cold and fated anchor.
Give away the stone.
Let the waters kiss and transmutate these leaden grudges into gold.
Let go.
In this verse, I believe that MJK is finally beginning to let his anger and hatred towards God be dissolved, and to start letting it go.

Coincidentally, the orbit of Saturn is roughly 10,000 days(1). Now on to TOOL's most recent album.

In Wings (1/2), Maynard is past being angry at God, and is letting his mother go without giving her trouble for believing something he thinks is a lie. He is surrounded by people (ignorant fibbers) that claim to be of faith, who fake trials and tribulations to seem more faithful, and is angered because they are nothing compared to his mother. He wants his mother, should she see God after her death, to finally recieve what he thinks she should be given for being such a devout Christian; her wings.

He lets his anger towards God and his grieving for his mother come to a rest with 10,000 days.

(1) 10,000 Days applies to many things. First, and foremost, it applies to the twenty-seven years that Judith Marie Keenan (MJK's mother, and actually MJK is James Maynard Keenan, so they have the same initials.) endured while being paralyzed and broken from her stroke whe Maynard was eleven. Second, it applies, roughly, to the length of Saturn's orbit around the sun. I think that when MJK was eleven, he first started hating God for what he did to his mother, and when he mentions Saturn in The Grudge (written 27 years after his mother's stroke?), he is letting his anger towards God come to a rest.

Last edited by troutp; 05-07-2006 at 09:17 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
djp4516
05-07-2006, 07:46 PM

I never ever thought about The Grudge like that. Wow. Great post.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: A Lyrical Analysis of Maynard's Experience with His Mother / God

I never ever thought about The Grudge like that. Wow. Great post.
prohibitedart's Avatar prohibitedart
05-07-2006, 09:11 PM

I always thought "Eulogy" was about Bill Hicks. But your other observations are very interesting.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:11 PM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

I always thought "Eulogy" was about Bill Hicks. But your other observations are very interesting.
05-08-2006, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prohibitedart
i find eulogy to be a negative song, based on the lyrics. as tool, especially maynard, were big fans of bill hicks, i doubt he's the subject. i think it's about L. Ron Hubbard, as adam or danny said in an interview, IIRC.

as for the first post, well done, troutp. i think your analysis of the lyrics was pretty spot-on. even if maynard didn't intend it that way, it's a valid interpretation. solid.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:49 AM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by prohibitedart
i find eulogy to be a negative song, based on the lyrics. as tool, especially maynard, were big fans of bill hicks, i doubt he's the subject. i think it's about L. Ron Hubbard, as adam or danny said in an interview, IIRC.

as for the first post, well done, troutp. i think your analysis of the lyrics was pretty spot-on. even if maynard didn't intend it that way, it's a valid interpretation. solid.
Hooker with a Third Eye
05-08-2006, 03:39 AM

i like it...
Old 05-08-2006, 03:39 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

i like it...
third_eye77's Avatar third_eye77
05-08-2006, 06:48 AM

Interesting take on "The Grudge" and "Eulogy". Never linked them like that.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:48 AM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Interesting take on "The Grudge" and "Eulogy". Never linked them like that.
davelisowski's Avatar davelisowski
05-08-2006, 07:39 AM

Great post. I enjoyed the new interpretation to "The Grudge."

Quote:
This, using your interpretation, sounds like MJK is holding on to his denials even though they have left him alone once his mother passed.

Kudos.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:39 AM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Great post. I enjoyed the new interpretation to "The Grudge."

Quote:
This, using your interpretation, sounds like MJK is holding on to his denials even though they have left him alone once his mother passed.

Kudos.
troutp's Avatar troutp
05-08-2006, 12:11 PM

Well, since the final verses of the song are Let Go, Let Go, i'd assume he's letting his denials fade away, but that's just my take on it =P
Old 05-08-2006, 12:11 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Well, since the final verses of the song are Let Go, Let Go, i'd assume he's letting his denials fade away, but that's just my take on it =P
Cynical/Sarcastic
05-08-2006, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutp

Eulogy

Jimmy

Judith

The Grudge

Just to let you know, Maynard's real name is James Herbert Keenan. This is a good analysis, by the way.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 66
Re: Analysis of Maynard's Experience with His Mother / God

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutp

Eulogy

Jimmy

Judith

The Grudge

Just to let you know, Maynard's real name is James Herbert Keenan. This is a good analysis, by the way.
Muladhara's Avatar Muladhara
05-08-2006, 03:20 PM

H has a place in this lineup too, as does I think Jambi.

H is about his past warning him off ever trusting anyone again, but his childlike mind, his 'innocence', 'jimmy' is telling him that if he is open, then good things may come.

Jambi I think is like the sequel to jimmy in that he's saying "I'm so glad I found you (jimmy) and if there were ever a chance I could lose you then I would get rid of everything if it meant I could keep hold of you."

Or something.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

H has a place in this lineup too, as does I think Jambi.

H is about his past warning him off ever trusting anyone again, but his childlike mind, his 'innocence', 'jimmy' is telling him that if he is open, then good things may come.

Jambi I think is like the sequel to jimmy in that he's saying "I'm so glad I found you (jimmy) and if there were ever a chance I could lose you then I would get rid of everything if it meant I could keep hold of you."

Or something.
05-08-2006, 03:26 PM

Wow. Good job. I'm listening to Jimmy right now with a whole new outlook on it.

Maybe Maynard changed his name to match his mothers initials out of respect?

Great post man.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Wow. Good job. I'm listening to Jimmy right now with a whole new outlook on it.

Maybe Maynard changed his name to match his mothers initials out of respect?

Great post man.
clarity.'s Avatar clarity.
05-08-2006, 04:12 PM

troutp, great post. so what is the conclusion? where is he now?
Old 05-08-2006, 04:12 PM   #12
a moon full of stars
Suicide Booth ID: 23

Bincount™: 6220

troutp, great post. so what is the conclusion? where is he now?
05-08-2006, 04:30 PM

I actually have no clue, I'll have to listen to 10,000 days more and see what I can decipher =P
Old 05-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

I actually have no clue, I'll have to listen to 10,000 days more and see what I can decipher =P
clarity.'s Avatar clarity.
05-08-2006, 04:41 PM

Awesome. Keep us updated.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:41 PM   #14
a moon full of stars
Suicide Booth ID: 23

Bincount™: 6220

Awesome. Keep us updated.
05-08-2006, 04:56 PM

excellent post, dude. I think Maynard's totally letting his anger to go rest as well. Wings/10000 days is just such a passionate song, I think it shows how much he's been through and how he has finally reconciled with that particular part of his life.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:56 PM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

excellent post, dude. I think Maynard's totally letting his anger to go rest as well. Wings/10000 days is just such a passionate song, I think it shows how much he's been through and how he has finally reconciled with that particular part of his life.
tabula.rassa's Avatar tabula.rassa
05-08-2006, 09:46 PM

fantastic post... i'm gonna listen to all of these songs with this in mind and respond...

PeAcE...
Old 05-08-2006, 09:46 PM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

fantastic post... i'm gonna listen to all of these songs with this in mind and respond...

PeAcE...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply