Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 04. 10,000 Days (Wings pt. 2)
User Name
Password
bellamadia's Avatar bellamadia
05-22-2006, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedLion727
Not true, my friend. If you play NIN's semi-new CD (With Teeth) backwards, there are parts in which Reznor says "Our savior is coming again soon...I wonder when." Also, he has admitted in public that "Hand that Feeds" is about god, (I intentionally use a small "g,") in particular, that the judeo-christian god is said "hand that feeds."
He said publicly that "hand that feeds" is about politics my friend. Bush. AND I've been to 3 of his concerts in the last year and when this song is played there is ALWAYS a picture of Bush on the screen.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:35 AM   #41
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1
Re: Has MJK pulled a Reznor?

Quote:
Not true, my friend. If you play NIN's semi-new CD (With Teeth) backwards, there are parts in which Reznor says "Our savior is coming again soon...I wonder when." Also, he has admitted in public that "Hand that Feeds" is about god, (I intentionally use a small "g,") in particular, that the judeo-christian god is said "hand that feeds."
He said publicly that "hand that feeds" is about politics my friend. Bush. AND I've been to 3 of his concerts in the last year and when this song is played there is ALWAYS a picture of Bush on the screen.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
05-22-2006, 05:53 AM

Quote:
However, if he has, I can't support Tool or APC from this point on. I will always love his work up until now, and listen to all the previous APC and Tool albums as fervently as I always have--but I can't support his future efforts. I can't support someone who supports the cause of more deaths than anything else in human history--religion.
First, let me state that I don't agree that the recent music of NIN is about Trent finding and preaching religion, nor TOOL's. That said, I'd like to respond the the above comment.

I find your statement appalling and incredibly hypocritical.

I have an issue accepting organized religion as you seem to. In addition to all of the reasons one might think I am against it (such as a way to make money, etc) the most prominent reason I against it is because it is basically the same as being a racist, or a nazi, or a supremacist, or whatever. Every major religion believes that if you do not conform to their rules, ideals, etc., then you will be punished. It's pretty much black and white for most, especially Christianity.

If there is a god, or a force, a power, whatever... well it seems to me that IT would be more accepting of all people. IT would be forgiving, fair and NOT vengeful. We are ALL people, and IT would see us as ONE. Religion separates, discriminates and takes us away from the true way of the universe. I could go on, but I won't.

My point is, when you say you won't support TOOL, Trent, whomever, because of their religious beliefs, then you, my friend, are NO BETTER than the organized religions you seem to be against.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:53 AM   #42
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
However, if he has, I can't support Tool or APC from this point on. I will always love his work up until now, and listen to all the previous APC and Tool albums as fervently as I always have--but I can't support his future efforts. I can't support someone who supports the cause of more deaths than anything else in human history--religion.
First, let me state that I don't agree that the recent music of NIN is about Trent finding and preaching religion, nor TOOL's. That said, I'd like to respond the the above comment.

I find your statement appalling and incredibly hypocritical.

I have an issue accepting organized religion as you seem to. In addition to all of the reasons one might think I am against it (such as a way to make money, etc) the most prominent reason I against it is because it is basically the same as being a racist, or a nazi, or a supremacist, or whatever. Every major religion believes that if you do not conform to their rules, ideals, etc., then you will be punished. It's pretty much black and white for most, especially Christianity.

If there is a god, or a force, a power, whatever... well it seems to me that IT would be more accepting of all people. IT would be forgiving, fair and NOT vengeful. We are ALL people, and IT would see us as ONE. Religion separates, discriminates and takes us away from the true way of the universe. I could go on, but I won't.

My point is, when you say you won't support TOOL, Trent, whomever, because of their religious beliefs, then you, my friend, are NO BETTER than the organized religions you seem to be against.
adaptive.systems
05-22-2006, 07:17 PM

This album is actually more atheistic than any he's produced, but he's masking it in allegory that religious people can swallow.

Maynard realized he could sell more albums and spread his memes more effectively if he coated them in non-threatening language.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:17 PM   #43
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

This album is actually more atheistic than any he's produced, but he's masking it in allegory that religious people can swallow.

Maynard realized he could sell more albums and spread his memes more effectively if he coated them in non-threatening language.
futant55's Avatar futant55
05-24-2006, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Now hold on. Don't flame me just yet. MJK is infinitely more gifted musically. What i'm talking about it a religious "conversion," a la Trent Reznor. This seems to be particularly on display in 10,000 days. I know that Tool songs are always open to interpretation and their meaning are never simply spelled out in the lyrics..but if this happens to be the case, then I'm sincerely dissapointed.

It never ceases to amaze me how people so gifted in some areas can so mispercieve reality and the meaning of life.

Perhaps Keenan hasn't changed his stance and is simply using it as imagery. However, if he has, I can't support Tool or APC from this point on. I will always love his work up until now, and listen to all the previous APC and Tool albums as fervently as I always have--but I can't support his future efforts. I can't support someone who supports the cause of more deaths than anything else in human history--religion.
This doesnt make since to me because the are so many older songs that deal with organized religion, 46 & 2 , Lateralus, Reflection, They may not be very well known but they are still "organized" religions, and I personally think Maynard had a revelation that this whole time he was turning away from organized religion and getting into more occult and metaphysical teachings he was just walking into the new age of religion. There is a man named Drunvalo Melchizedek that wrote the books The Ancient Secrets of the Flower of Life. Its all about Sacred geometry, including the Golden spiral, Fibonnaci sequence, 46 & 2, and alot of other Tool references from their past few albums can be found in there. It has become an organized religion where you can train and become a Facilitator. I believe this also is part of his more acception to Christianity, he still does not believe in it himself but it's hipocritical of him to bash on Christians when he has his own beliefs that could be bashed on by others. So pretty much if you still agree with your statement, you better go ahead and throw out all of your albums with Maynard singing on them, because your just feeding into a new religion. P.S. Melchizedeks books are very good and insightful, I'm not trying to rip on these teachings I'm just saying stay open minded and take everything with a spoonful of sugar.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:18 AM   #44
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 567

Quote:
Now hold on. Don't flame me just yet. MJK is infinitely more gifted musically. What i'm talking about it a religious "conversion," a la Trent Reznor. This seems to be particularly on display in 10,000 days. I know that Tool songs are always open to interpretation and their meaning are never simply spelled out in the lyrics..but if this happens to be the case, then I'm sincerely dissapointed.

It never ceases to amaze me how people so gifted in some areas can so mispercieve reality and the meaning of life.

Perhaps Keenan hasn't changed his stance and is simply using it as imagery. However, if he has, I can't support Tool or APC from this point on. I will always love his work up until now, and listen to all the previous APC and Tool albums as fervently as I always have--but I can't support his future efforts. I can't support someone who supports the cause of more deaths than anything else in human history--religion.
This doesnt make since to me because the are so many older songs that deal with organized religion, 46 & 2 , Lateralus, Reflection, They may not be very well known but they are still "organized" religions, and I personally think Maynard had a revelation that this whole time he was turning away from organized religion and getting into more occult and metaphysical teachings he was just walking into the new age of religion. There is a man named Drunvalo Melchizedek that wrote the books The Ancient Secrets of the Flower of Life. Its all about Sacred geometry, including the Golden spiral, Fibonnaci sequence, 46 & 2, and alot of other Tool references from their past few albums can be found in there. It has become an organized religion where you can train and become a Facilitator. I believe this also is part of his more acception to Christianity, he still does not believe in it himself but it's hipocritical of him to bash on Christians when he has his own beliefs that could be bashed on by others. So pretty much if you still agree with your statement, you better go ahead and throw out all of your albums with Maynard singing on them, because your just feeding into a new religion. P.S. Melchizedeks books are very good and insightful, I'm not trying to rip on these teachings I'm just saying stay open minded and take everything with a spoonful of sugar.
05-26-2006, 07:45 AM

I'm sorry, I like Tool as much as the next guy, but "MJK is ifinitely more gifted musically than Reznor"?????

umm... ok. here's a guy that recorded a masterpiece album BY HIMSELF, and is an incredibly good composer. And then a guy who has a good voice + a knack for writing great lyrics.

get real.

substitute lyrically for musically in your first post, and I agree.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:45 AM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

I'm sorry, I like Tool as much as the next guy, but "MJK is ifinitely more gifted musically than Reznor"?????

umm... ok. here's a guy that recorded a masterpiece album BY HIMSELF, and is an incredibly good composer. And then a guy who has a good voice + a knack for writing great lyrics.

get real.

substitute lyrically for musically in your first post, and I agree.
Omar Rodriguez-Mopez's Avatar Omar Rodriguez-Mopez
05-29-2006, 05:13 PM

I believe in God. Got a problem with that?

"JESUS CHRIST, this suit is hot!" -- Maynard
Old 05-29-2006, 05:13 PM   #46
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 5127

"JESUS CHRIST, this suit is hot!" -- Maynard
Max T.'s Avatar Max T.
05-29-2006, 06:01 PM

I don't think Maynard has had a religious conversion....nor do I remember hearing this about Reznor.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:01 PM   #47
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

I don't think Maynard has had a religious conversion....nor do I remember hearing this about Reznor.
dude3390
05-29-2006, 08:40 PM

Quote:

I agree with most repliers in this thread, Maynard has never been anti-God or against any of the teachings of any of the prophets. How could someone be so devoted to denouncing organized religion and the way it skews the original lessons of prophets, and yet not give a shit about the teachings themselves? I have always perceived Maynard to be a SPIRITUAL person. Just not RELIGIOUS. His art has reflected that forever. Does anyone understand what I'm trying to say? Just a thought.

www.teamfuzzy.com
Old 05-29-2006, 08:40 PM   #48
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

I agree with most repliers in this thread, Maynard has never been anti-God or against any of the teachings of any of the prophets. How could someone be so devoted to denouncing organized religion and the way it skews the original lessons of prophets, and yet not give a shit about the teachings themselves? I have always perceived Maynard to be a SPIRITUAL person. Just not RELIGIOUS. His art has reflected that forever. Does anyone understand what I'm trying to say? Just a thought.

www.teamfuzzy.com
EulogyCallinMe's Avatar EulogyCallinMe
05-30-2006, 12:08 PM

um...i think i just fell in love with bellamadia
"Am I a pretty girl?"
Old 05-30-2006, 12:08 PM   #49
Super Goof or Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen? You decide

Bincount™: 1563

"Am I a pretty girl?"
AsylumVT's Avatar AsylumVT
05-30-2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justfar1086
Maybe maynard is trying to tell us he is the G-O-Dizzle
can i hit you now?
Old 05-30-2006, 12:20 PM   #50
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by justfar1086
Maybe maynard is trying to tell us he is the G-O-Dizzle
can i hit you now?
AsylumVT's Avatar AsylumVT
05-30-2006, 12:25 PM

Ok first of I think most reposters are correct. This is not some anti god crap or anything. Maynards not like that in his music. He never criticizes God. only the religions and their corruption. He isnt a satanist or what ever. You dont need some religion to believe in God. So i dont get why people think that Maynard is anti-God or has found a religion or whatever. I believe in God but I dont have a religion I just think there is something out there.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:25 PM   #51
Level 4 - Thinker

Ok first of I think most reposters are correct. This is not some anti god crap or anything. Maynards not like that in his music. He never criticizes God. only the religions and their corruption. He isnt a satanist or what ever. You dont need some religion to believe in God. So i dont get why people think that Maynard is anti-God or has found a religion or whatever. I believe in God but I dont have a religion I just think there is something out there.
Randall's Avatar Randall
05-30-2006, 01:03 PM

The day maynard believes in god will be the day he reaches the "pearly gates"
Old 05-30-2006, 01:03 PM   #52
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Loveboat Captain's Avatar Loveboat Captain
05-30-2006, 03:13 PM

"It never ceases to amaze me how people so gifted in some areas can so mispercieve reality and the meaning of life"

You condescending motherfucker.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:13 PM   #53
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200

"It never ceases to amaze me how people so gifted in some areas can so mispercieve reality and the meaning of life"

You condescending motherfucker.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
comfortably_numb
05-31-2006, 01:53 PM

"The universe is hostile, so impersonal,
devour to survive , so it has, so it's always been"

oh and another thing... in 10,000 days he urges his mother to look God in the eye and demand her place in heaven....

it's interesting how people cling to a few words and just forget to think about the context...
Old 05-31-2006, 01:53 PM   #54
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

"The universe is hostile, so impersonal,
devour to survive , so it has, so it's always been"

oh and another thing... in 10,000 days he urges his mother to look God in the eye and demand her place in heaven....

it's interesting how people cling to a few words and just forget to think about the context...
PriceisRight's Avatar PriceisRight
06-01-2006, 07:20 AM

Quote:

Yes...cause I mean lets face it everyone.

YOU CAN'T MAKE AMAZING MUSIC IF YOU SUPPORT RELIGION!

Our local genius here has pointed that out.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:20 AM   #55
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:

Yes...cause I mean lets face it everyone.

YOU CAN'T MAKE AMAZING MUSIC IF YOU SUPPORT RELIGION!

Our local genius here has pointed that out.
06-01-2006, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota
No, no. Religion is another matter entirely. It relies on faith, which is nice and interesting in some aspects. My affinity with Tool has nothing to do with faith. It's more to do with a deep rooted feeling I have and that grows and transforms every time I listen to their music. And this is even less conscious.
Does faith have to be blind?
Isn't your "trust" in Tool to give you that "deep rooted feeling" simply a form of faith?
Isn't faith in God supposed to "transform" every time you experience the Holy One?

maybe they're more closely-related than you think...
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 06-01-2006, 11:42 PM   #56
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota
No, no. Religion is another matter entirely. It relies on faith, which is nice and interesting in some aspects. My affinity with Tool has nothing to do with faith. It's more to do with a deep rooted feeling I have and that grows and transforms every time I listen to their music. And this is even less conscious.
Isn't your "trust" in Tool to give you that "deep rooted feeling" simply a form of faith?
Isn't faith in God supposed to "transform" every time you experience the Holy One?

Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
06-06-2006, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EulogyCallinMe

Ha ha, I just saw this now. Aww, I take it you agree with my views. :)
Old 06-06-2006, 05:14 AM   #57
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by EulogyCallinMe

Ha ha, I just saw this now. Aww, I take it you agree with my views. :)
vecima's Avatar vecima
06-06-2006, 11:41 AM

bellamadia, i think EulogyCallinMe may agree more with viewing you than your views!

anyhow, someone mentioned tapeworm above, just to clarify, tapeworm is dead

Hydrophobe -bassist / guitarist
Old 06-06-2006, 11:41 AM   #58
Level 4 - Thinker

bellamadia, i think EulogyCallinMe may agree more with viewing you than your views!

Hydrophobe -bassist / guitarist
06-06-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecima

lol Well i suppose I will take that as a compliment so thank you. I'd like to think it was because he thought I had something good to say and maybe if he thought I was attractive it was an added bonus. :)
Old 06-06-2006, 04:51 PM   #59
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

lol Well i suppose I will take that as a compliment so thank you. I'd like to think it was because he thought I had something good to say and maybe if he thought I was attractive it was an added bonus. :)
Bloody's Avatar Bloody
06-06-2006, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicariously I Live
No, it's your life. Worship goats for all I care.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:56 PM   #60
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 76

Quote:
No, it's your life. Worship goats for all I care.
EulogyCallinMe's Avatar EulogyCallinMe
06-23-2006, 09:11 AM

Quote:
No its most definitely both.
ha sorry it took so long to respond i was on vacation for a very long time and then i proceeded to forget about me even posting on this site.

Last edited by EulogyCallinMe; 06-23-2006 at 09:15 AM..
Old 06-23-2006, 09:11 AM   #61
Super Goof or Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen? You decide

Bincount™: 1563

Quote:
No its most definitely both.
ha sorry it took so long to respond i was on vacation for a very long time and then i proceeded to forget about me even posting on this site.

Last edited by EulogyCallinMe; 06-23-2006 at 09:15 AM..
phylleb
06-23-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futant55

just because a song is about looking inward and growing as a person doesn't mean it is about religion. mjk uses religion as a tool to convey his perspective. hence the name TOOL
Old 06-23-2006, 09:24 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by futant55

just because a song is about looking inward and growing as a person doesn't mean it is about religion. mjk uses religion as a tool to convey his perspective. hence the name TOOL
PriceisRight's Avatar PriceisRight
06-23-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethestories

well put
Old 06-23-2006, 09:25 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethestories

well put
06-23-2006, 09:56 AM

The fact that Tool makes me feel good is not faith; it's fact. I'm not like, "I hope Tool's music will make me feel good...". If it does, great. If not, I know that I'm not in the appropriate mood to feel good, but not because of lack of faith.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:56 AM   #64
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310
faith in Tool

The fact that Tool makes me feel good is not faith; it's fact. I'm not like, "I hope Tool's music will make me feel good...". If it does, great. If not, I know that I'm not in the appropriate mood to feel good, but not because of lack of faith.
futant55's Avatar futant55
06-23-2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00LHEAD
I believe in god and jesus , the whole nine yards.I love Tool , they make great music and Maynards voice is the best I ever heard. I also watch cartoons and dont believe that I can fly or live under the sea after I'm done.
I learned that lesson the hard way. Damn those cartoons make it look so easy.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:42 AM   #65
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00LHEAD
I believe in god and jesus , the whole nine yards.I love Tool , they make great music and Maynards voice is the best I ever heard. I also watch cartoons and dont believe that I can fly or live under the sea after I'm done.
I learned that lesson the hard way. Damn those cartoons make it look so easy.
06-23-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslupminoyler
You've lumped religion into one category; notwithstanding the essence of the source of all religion is peaceful. It is the people that are so-called followers of these religions that choose to kill, destroy, and display monstrosities in God's name. Supporting the people that enact these horrors doesn't entail a support of their beliefs.
Really, have you ever read the Bible? Tell me that the god of the Bible is a peaceful one that doesn't murder and encourage the murder of millions. Tell me what the first Passover was, will you? While Noah was floating on the ark, what were all of the rest of god's children doing?

Religion in general is based on control, most often the means of that control is fear. What is peaceful about telling someone, 'be good or you will burn in hell'?
Old 06-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #66
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslupminoyler
You've lumped religion into one category; notwithstanding the essence of the source of all religion is peaceful. It is the people that are so-called followers of these religions that choose to kill, destroy, and display monstrosities in God's name. Supporting the people that enact these horrors doesn't entail a support of their beliefs.
Really, have you ever read the Bible? Tell me that the god of the Bible is a peaceful one that doesn't murder and encourage the murder of millions. Tell me what the first Passover was, will you? While Noah was floating on the ark, what were all of the rest of god's children doing?

Religion in general is based on control, most often the means of that control is fear. What is peaceful about telling someone, 'be good or you will burn in hell'?
jstar0492
06-23-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
yes - which one, and why don't you believe in the others?
Old 06-23-2006, 12:07 PM   #67
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
wearethestories's Avatar wearethestories
06-23-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiad
do us all a favor and quit posting.
think he listened to that...

bye!

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 06-23-2006, 12:11 PM   #68
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiad
do us all a favor and quit posting.
think he listened to that...

bye!

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
wearethestories's Avatar wearethestories
06-23-2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar0492
is there a PROBLEM, though --- why do you even care?

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 06-23-2006, 12:13 PM   #69
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar0492
is there a PROBLEM, though --- why do you even care?

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Artistic Sickness's Avatar Artistic Sickness
06-26-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall
naw. i can see him standing there, looking god in the face and say" Pfft. you dont exist."
Old 06-26-2006, 01:12 PM   #70
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall
naw. i can see him standing there, looking god in the face and say" Pfft. you dont exist."
06-26-2006, 02:16 PM

best thread title evar!
Old 06-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #71

Bincount™: 144

best thread title evar!
06-26-2006, 07:15 PM

As a huge fan of both Tool and NIN (Trent Reznor), I can honestly say that MJK is PROBABLY not more musically talented than Trent. In terms of writing it definitely goes to Maynard- You can only use the ''I am the _________'' line for so long until it becomes stale. But musically, as in playing instruments, Trent has the upper hand. It is widely known that he does almost all of the work on NIN records, who else could Jeordie White?
Old 06-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #72
Level 3 - Talker

As a huge fan of both Tool and NIN (Trent Reznor), I can honestly say that MJK is PROBABLY not more musically talented than Trent. In terms of writing it definitely goes to Maynard- You can only use the ''I am the _________'' line for so long until it becomes stale. But musically, as in playing instruments, Trent has the upper hand. It is widely known that he does almost all of the work on NIN records, who else could Jeordie White?
dook43
06-27-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Drunvalo Melchizedek that wrote the books The Ancient Secrets of the Flower of Life. Its all about Sacred geometry, including the Golden spiral, Fibonnaci sequence, 46 & 2, and alot of other Tool references from their past few albums can be found in there. It has become an organized religion where you can train and become a Facilitato
That's a very, very interesting last name.

Quote:
Melchizedek is a character in the Old Testament who appeared in Genesis to the patriarch Abraham. He is called "king of Salem" (believed to be ancient Jerusalem) and "priest of the most high God" in Genesis 14:18.

In the Tanakh, Melchizedek brought bread and wine to Abraham (then called Abram) after Abraham's victory over the four kings who had besieged Sodom and Gomorrah and had taken his nephew Lot prisoner (described in Genesis 14). (Gen. 14:18.) Melchizedek blessed Abraham in the name of ³God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth.² (Gen. 14:19.) In return, Abraham gave Melchizedek a tenth, a tithe, of the spoils gained from the battle. (Gen. 14:20.)

In some translations, Psalm 110:4 names Melchizedek as representative of the priestly line through which a future king of Israel's Davidic line was ordained. Alternatively, the term in Psalm 110:4 can be read ³rightful king.² (E.g., New JPS Tanakh.)
Old 06-27-2006, 12:45 PM   #73
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Drunvalo Melchizedek that wrote the books The Ancient Secrets of the Flower of Life. Its all about Sacred geometry, including the Golden spiral, Fibonnaci sequence, 46 & 2, and alot of other Tool references from their past few albums can be found in there. It has become an organized religion where you can train and become a Facilitato
That's a very, very interesting last name.

Quote:
Melchizedek is a character in the Old Testament who appeared in Genesis to the patriarch Abraham. He is called "king of Salem" (believed to be ancient Jerusalem) and "priest of the most high God" in Genesis 14:18.

In the Tanakh, Melchizedek brought bread and wine to Abraham (then called Abram) after Abraham's victory over the four kings who had besieged Sodom and Gomorrah and had taken his nephew Lot prisoner (described in Genesis 14). (Gen. 14:18.) Melchizedek blessed Abraham in the name of ³God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth.² (Gen. 14:19.) In return, Abraham gave Melchizedek a tenth, a tithe, of the spoils gained from the battle. (Gen. 14:20.)

In some translations, Psalm 110:4 names Melchizedek as representative of the priestly line through which a future king of Israel's Davidic line was ordained. Alternatively, the term in Psalm 110:4 can be read ³rightful king.² (E.g., New JPS Tanakh.)
nighthawk's Avatar nighthawk
06-27-2006, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Your God is dead and no one cares
if there is a hell i will see you there.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:20 PM   #74
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

Quote:
Your God is dead and no one cares
if there is a hell i will see you there.
06-28-2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:

Some people exert more energy despising religious sentiment(s) than the "religious people" spend practicing and preaching their beliefs. I read this message you posted again and again, and everytime I get to the phrase "but I can't support his future efforts," it strikes me as even more pompous and foolish than the previous time I read it.

I don't mean this as a personal attack, but to strike out on a crusade against Maynard and anything he or his bandmates might create in the future simply because you have convinced yourself (without having spoken to him yourself, I might add) that he harbors love for one religion or another.

That sounds a little...dogmatic now, doesn't it? You've constructed a tiny little religion of your own, and the basis of that religion is to abhor and scorn anyone and anything that aligns itself with traditional religious bodies. It's like when the emo kids paint their faces and cut themselves and talk about how they'll never be another sheep in the flock. They do and say all of this together, in a nice, safe group of like-minded individuals to which you can't belong unless you're doing everything within your power to be different from those outside of the group. Sound like a familiar construct?

So I'm going on a tangent now. My point is don't throw stones at your own glass soapbox, or something. If Maynard believes in Christianity, or Buddhism, or if he thinks Chocolate Bunny Rabbits are going to save the human race, whatever. Keep an open mind. If you do nothing else with yourself in this life, at least reflect and be aware.

Last edited by Siruka; 06-28-2006 at 04:45 PM..
Old 06-28-2006, 04:42 PM   #75
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:

Some people exert more energy despising religious sentiment(s) than the "religious people" spend practicing and preaching their beliefs. I read this message you posted again and again, and everytime I get to the phrase "but I can't support his future efforts," it strikes me as even more pompous and foolish than the previous time I read it.

I don't mean this as a personal attack, but to strike out on a crusade against Maynard and anything he or his bandmates might create in the future simply because you have convinced yourself (without having spoken to him yourself, I might add) that he harbors love for one religion or another.

That sounds a little...dogmatic now, doesn't it? You've constructed a tiny little religion of your own, and the basis of that religion is to abhor and scorn anyone and anything that aligns itself with traditional religious bodies. It's like when the emo kids paint their faces and cut themselves and talk about how they'll never be another sheep in the flock. They do and say all of this together, in a nice, safe group of like-minded individuals to which you can't belong unless you're doing everything within your power to be different from those outside of the group. Sound like a familiar construct?

So I'm going on a tangent now. My point is don't throw stones at your own glass soapbox, or something. If Maynard believes in Christianity, or Buddhism, or if he thinks Chocolate Bunny Rabbits are going to save the human race, whatever. Keep an open mind. If you do nothing else with yourself in this life, at least reflect and be aware.

Last edited by Siruka; 06-28-2006 at 04:45 PM..
Carnivoyeur's Avatar Carnivoyeur
06-28-2006, 08:17 PM

So much for "don't flame me".

MJK, like many people, doesn't hate religion. Just the orginizations. Just the "Give us your money and God will love you more."

In this album, he's saying "Mom, if your God is anything like what you thought he was, if he really exists, he better open those fucking gates for you."

It's not my business to get into. (or yours, for that matter.) Enjoy his work. But for God's sake [=p], you're not doing yourself any favors by not listening to such amazing music because YOU THINK he MIGHT be in the school of jesus fish. You're a pompous, self-righteous idiot and I hope you choke on a biscuit.

Last edited by Carnivoyeur; 06-28-2006 at 08:20 PM..
Old 06-28-2006, 08:17 PM   #76
Level 1 - Lurker

So much for "don't flame me".

MJK, like many people, doesn't hate religion. Just the orginizations. Just the "Give us your money and God will love you more."

In this album, he's saying "Mom, if your God is anything like what you thought he was, if he really exists, he better open those fucking gates for you."

It's not my business to get into. (or yours, for that matter.) Enjoy his work. But for God's sake [=p], you're not doing yourself any favors by not listening to such amazing music because YOU THINK he MIGHT be in the school of jesus fish. You're a pompous, self-righteous idiot and I hope you choke on a biscuit.

Last edited by Carnivoyeur; 06-28-2006 at 08:20 PM..
Where_Is_Mother
06-30-2006, 08:30 AM

Can't read all this shit but what's the fuckin' problem with believing in something? Like some fuckin' teen gossip magazine in here. "OH NOES IF MAYNARD HAS FAITH I'M TRASHING ALL MY TOOL ALBUMSSSSSS!!@!@"

Fuck.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:30 AM   #77
Level 2 - Poster

Can't read all this shit but what's the fuckin' problem with believing in something? Like some fuckin' teen gossip magazine in here. "OH NOES IF MAYNARD HAS FAITH I'M TRASHING ALL MY TOOL ALBUMSSSSSS!!@!@"

Fuck.
SnakeShadow
06-30-2006, 11:54 AM

Am I the only person who sees 10,000 Days as an ironic description of how many follow religion. I get the image of someone storming the pearl gates demanding to be let in, assuming that they deserve it. To me, it brings to mind all those that follow religion out of fear of the unknown rather than faith. People who are religious in name but not in practice. Perhaps this song isn't so much about whether to be religious or not, but rather to remind people to be humble in their actions. If you want to follow the teachings of a religion, do so because you believe in the teachings, not so you can get to heaven, etc.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:54 AM   #78
Level 1 - Lurker

Am I the only person who sees 10,000 Days as an ironic description of how many follow religion. I get the image of someone storming the pearl gates demanding to be let in, assuming that they deserve it. To me, it brings to mind all those that follow religion out of fear of the unknown rather than faith. People who are religious in name but not in practice. Perhaps this song isn't so much about whether to be religious or not, but rather to remind people to be humble in their actions. If you want to follow the teachings of a religion, do so because you believe in the teachings, not so you can get to heaven, etc.
Æsahættr's Avatar Æsahættr
06-30-2006, 11:58 AM

Quote:

HAhahahahaha.
MJK...greater gifted muscially...gahahahah! That was fucking hilarious.

MJK is not good enough to do anything even close to Reznor's skill. Ever.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:58 AM   #79
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

HAhahahahaha.
MJK...greater gifted muscially...gahahahah! That was fucking hilarious.

MJK is not good enough to do anything even close to Reznor's skill. Ever.
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
06-30-2006, 02:04 PM

I see where you come from...

MUAHAHA!
Old 06-30-2006, 02:04 PM   #80
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310
I see where you come from...

MUAHAHA!

Rate This Thread