opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 13. Ænema
User Name
Password
Old 02-26-2005, 09:24 AM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Significance of Character: Æ

I've always wondered why they used this symbol "Æ". Is it because it looks like the 'a' and 'e' mushed together in a cool way? Thanks!

-Gina
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 09:50 AM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 288
Re: Significance of Character: Æ

It might be that they like to shop at American Eagle.
Althoughwbelieverseknow nofboundsetoatheirrfaith, theyowillustillrremain blindedosheep,wandntake societyptooit'swknees.e Norman should be the victim of religiously engineered beliefs. A man should find his own light, for we are not sheep, and have no shepard. We have ourselves, and no one can take that away from us.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:00 PM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

and the book aegypt might have something to do with it.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:52 AM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 32

Dude you have boobs in your avatar lol.

[/immaturity]

It's probably because it signifies the merging of the words Anima and Enema, both relating to the theme of the album.

...pwn3d
Old 02-27-2005, 09:49 AM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

It's an actual letter in danish, it pronounced much lige "ae", as a single letter, it's pretty hard to explain.

But I also think it's because the two words Anima/Enema has been pushed together...
Old 02-27-2005, 12:29 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Thanks for your help guys :)
Old 03-11-2005, 06:27 AM   #7
Banned.

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjalte
It's an actual letter in danish, it pronounced much lige "ae", as a single letter, it's pretty hard to explain.

But I also think it's because the two words Anima/Enema has been pushed together...
Æ is also a sacred character that came from Tibet. It is pronounced ahhh with a deep sound resonating from the middle chest (where your heart ckakra is located). This is used as a meditation to stimulate the awareness of the heart chakra and in turn, eventually open it. They began using this symbol in sacred words or names so they would be easilly recognized and also stimulate a sort of automatic association between the word and spirituality when spoken.

Last edited by Triangular_Vision; 03-11-2005 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-04-2005, 12:39 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangular_Vision
Æ is also a sacred character that came from Tibet. It is pronounced ahhh with a deep sound resonating from the middle chest (where your heart ckakra is located). This is used as a meditation to stimulate the awareness of the heart chakra and in turn, eventually open it. They began using this symbol in sacred words or names so they would be easilly recognized and also stimulate a sort of automatic association between the word and spirituality when spoken.
That's an anachronism, if true at all. Tibetans don't use a phonetic alphabet like we do. Further Tibetans don't even use the vowel "a" like we would imagine. It may be that a linguist, attempting to make Tibetan into a more recognizable language, used the æ to describe it... though tonal languages are a bit complex for that...

Check out: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/tibetan.htm

As for the æ itself, it's attributed to Latin which, now dead, attributed itself to much of the linguistic alphabet. If you wish to understand it on that level see:
http://www.utexas.edu/its/unix/refer...a96529/ch4.htm

Last edited by PseudoSX; 04-04-2005 at 12:44 PM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: