Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Fear Inoculum
User Name
Password
Croma
06-18-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3hird EyE View Post
Sweat was in Escape from L.A., Forty Six and 2 was in an Iron Man 2 trailer that they released at Comic Con one year and It's Forty Six and 2 that is going to be in the new Captain America trailer that's not out yet.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Say it ain't so!
Old 06-18-2011, 12:39 AM   #361
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: New Tool Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3hird EyE View Post
Sweat was in Escape from L.A., Forty Six and 2 was in an Iron Man 2 trailer that they released at Comic Con one year and It's Forty Six and 2 that is going to be in the new Captain America trailer that's not out yet.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Say it ain't so!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Croma
06-18-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
Okay, I'll bite: what the hell does this have to do with anything?
Well there are definitely several alien abduction themes in a few Tool songs. They've been to Area 51 a lot (or at least Blair has been there a few times). Rosetta stoned hints at some sort of extra terrestrial encounter during a pyschedelic experience. If you watch the X-files, there was a theory of a mass alien abduction possibly happening in 2012. Adam just did the art for the X-files/30 days of night comics. December 21, 2012 is the day the mayan calendar ends and when many rumor the world will end (though it will not). I just think it would make sense for them to release an awesome album and tour through 2012. If they have a show on Dec. 21st, I'd like to be there. If the world were to end, what a way to go out :)
Old 06-18-2011, 12:46 AM   #362
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Okay, I'll bite: what the hell does this have to do with anything?
Well there are definitely several alien abduction themes in a few Tool songs. They've been to Area 51 a lot (or at least Blair has been there a few times). Rosetta stoned hints at some sort of extra terrestrial encounter during a pyschedelic experience. If you watch the X-files, there was a theory of a mass alien abduction possibly happening in 2012. Adam just did the art for the X-files/30 days of night comics. December 21, 2012 is the day the mayan calendar ends and when many rumor the world will end (though it will not). I just think it would make sense for them to release an awesome album and tour through 2012. If they have a show on Dec. 21st, I'd like to be there. If the world were to end, what a way to go out :)
Croma
06-18-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post
Also, btw

Guitar Hero.
Is that a commercial or a movie? And they designed special levels just for Tool. And that is one of the only third party merchandiser that Tool has ever licensed their image/logo/music to. Unless somebody corrects me and it turns out they sell Tool wrench keychains at Walmart....god, don't even tell me....

Last edited by Croma; 06-18-2011 at 12:51 AM..
Old 06-18-2011, 12:48 AM   #363
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Also, btw

Guitar Hero.
Is that a commercial or a movie? And they designed special levels just for Tool. And that is one of the only third party merchandiser that Tool has ever licensed their image/logo/music to. Unless somebody corrects me and it turns out they sell Tool wrench keychains at Walmart....god, don't even tell me....

Last edited by Croma; 06-18-2011 at 12:51 AM..
elusivEuphoria's Avatar elusivEuphoria
06-18-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
yeah, Guitar Hero was a great commercial and/or movie, man
Christ... to you and Croma...

It was an example that Tools music has been "sold"... licensed before.

Gotta be so picky.

GH was at least somewhat tasteful.

I think any Tool song, old or new, seems pretty cheesy to be stuck in a trailer for the latest in the parade of comic book movies.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:47 AM   #364
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860

Quote:
yeah, Guitar Hero was a great commercial and/or movie, man

Gotta be so picky.

I think any Tool song, old or new, seems pretty cheesy to be stuck in a trailer for the latest in the parade of comic book movies.
elusivEuphoria's Avatar elusivEuphoria
06-18-2011, 02:27 AM

I wonder if there is any hope or chance that Tool may have one, or perhaps a couple songs that won't make on to the coming album but could theoretically pop up in a live performance.

It's part wishful thinking on my part, but it's stemming from Maynard's supposed intent to be more involved in the writing process for this next album. It certainly seems that its just been Danny, Justin and Adam working hard for the past several months. That will obviously continue while APC does their tour and Maynard finalizes what appears to be an upcoming Puscifer EP/LP.

So if Maynard really does what to be involved, I'd see that as more that just showing up when the composition is roughly 80% done and he just starting throwing down vocal and lyrical treatments with a few adjustments here and there. So perhaps this will mean even more time in the rehearsal space. With so much time spent, perhaps a couple compositions might get put aside that are purely unrefined instrumental pieces.... that could perhaps make an appearance live as some Merkaba-esque type performance.

I said it already of course. Wishful thinking. But I have nothing better to do right now.

Last edited by elusivEuphoria; 06-18-2011 at 02:28 AM..
Old 06-18-2011, 02:27 AM   #365
Level 10 - Vehement

I wonder if there is any hope or chance that Tool may have one, or perhaps a couple songs that won't make on to the coming album but could theoretically pop up in a live performance.

It's part wishful thinking on my part, but it's stemming from Maynard's supposed intent to be more involved in the writing process for this next album. It certainly seems that its just been Danny, Justin and Adam working hard for the past several months. That will obviously continue while APC does their tour and Maynard finalizes what appears to be an upcoming Puscifer EP/LP.

So if Maynard really does what to be involved, I'd see that as more that just showing up when the composition is roughly 80% done and he just starting throwing down vocal and lyrical treatments with a few adjustments here and there. So perhaps this will mean even more time in the rehearsal space. With so much time spent, perhaps a couple compositions might get put aside that are purely unrefined instrumental pieces.... that could perhaps make an appearance live as some Merkaba-esque type performance.

I said it already of course. Wishful thinking. But I have nothing better to do right now.

Last edited by elusivEuphoria; 06-18-2011 at 02:28 AM..
Starfish's Avatar Starfish
06-18-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croma View Post
4 degrees is about his experiences in military prep school. THe new cadets are called 4 degrees. What does that song have to do with butt sex? Stinkfist is not about butt sex either, its about the desensitization of society. So actually, there aren't any Tool songs about butt sex, unless you count the song about pedophiles, you sick bastard.....
good fucking god, please get the fuck away from here.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:58 AM   #366
On Probation

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
4 degrees is about his experiences in military prep school. THe new cadets are called 4 degrees. What does that song have to do with butt sex? Stinkfist is not about butt sex either, its about the desensitization of society. So actually, there aren't any Tool songs about butt sex, unless you count the song about pedophiles, you sick bastard.....
good fucking god, please get the fuck away from here.
Underalus's Avatar Underalus
06-18-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
nnnnnnnnope. Intolerance is about his time at West Point (their oath being "I will not lie, cheat, and steal and I will not tolerate those who do. beware my power, green lantern's light") and 4 degrees is thus named because of the temperature difference between the asshole and the cunt. This is age-old FAQ stuff that everyone knows.

who the fuck is this Croma kid?

edit: oh god, he's maynard and he's trolling all of us to see how butthurt we get about unimportant Tool minutia, isn't he? Well played may-may.

Last edited by Underalus; 06-18-2011 at 07:35 AM..
Old 06-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #367
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 67

Quote:
nnnnnnnnope. Intolerance is about his time at West Point (their oath being "I will not lie, cheat, and steal and I will not tolerate those who do. beware my power, green lantern's light") and 4 degrees is thus named because of the temperature difference between the asshole and the cunt. This is age-old FAQ stuff that everyone knows.

edit: oh god, he's maynard and he's trolling all of us to see how butthurt we get about unimportant Tool minutia, isn't he? Well played may-may.

Last edited by Underalus; 06-18-2011 at 07:35 AM..
Kruppo's Avatar Kruppo
06-18-2011, 09:01 AM

My money's still on a new album coming out in 2012. I just don't see one coming sometime this year. Call me a pessimist if you want
Old 06-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #368
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 2840

My money's still on a new album coming out in 2012. I just don't see one coming sometime this year. Call me a pessimist if you want
06-18-2011, 10:58 AM

ok

kruppo, you're such a pessimist
Old 06-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #369
On Probation

Bincount™: 7922

ok

kruppo, you're such a pessimist
Croma
06-18-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underalus View Post

It is also age old FAQ information that 4 Degrees are the first year cadets at the West Point Prep school. Maynard never actually went to the real West Point - he was offered a scholarship but turned it down to be a musician. Yes, I know about the 4 degree temperature difference, but 4 Degrees is again a song that uses the metaphor for Rape to illustrate someone forcing ideas onto others against their will, such as military brainwashing (or religion). The song mentions being locked away underneath a castle - the prep academy resembles a castle or fortress. I'm not a noob and I'm not a troll, I've been posting since 2001, this is just a new account. I just get a little ticked when I see people make comments that Tool writes songs about 'butt secks'. Its an oversimplification and many people actually believe that is all these three songs are about. Also many think its about the joys of anal sex, I used to know girls who would fuck to Prison Sex cause they thought it was hot, not realizing what the song was actually about. It is no wonder Maynard doesn't make songs that talk about Rape or use Rape as a metaphor anymore - some people like them for the wrong reasons, they are extremely personal, and they are easily misinterpreted. That said, you were probably just making a joke, it just touched a nerve. I'll let it go, happy trails.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #370
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underalus View Post

It is also age old FAQ information that 4 Degrees are the first year cadets at the West Point Prep school. Maynard never actually went to the real West Point - he was offered a scholarship but turned it down to be a musician. Yes, I know about the 4 degree temperature difference, but 4 Degrees is again a song that uses the metaphor for Rape to illustrate someone forcing ideas onto others against their will, such as military brainwashing (or religion). The song mentions being locked away underneath a castle - the prep academy resembles a castle or fortress. I'm not a noob and I'm not a troll, I've been posting since 2001, this is just a new account. I just get a little ticked when I see people make comments that Tool writes songs about 'butt secks'. Its an oversimplification and many people actually believe that is all these three songs are about. Also many think its about the joys of anal sex, I used to know girls who would fuck to Prison Sex cause they thought it was hot, not realizing what the song was actually about. It is no wonder Maynard doesn't make songs that talk about Rape or use Rape as a metaphor anymore - some people like them for the wrong reasons, they are extremely personal, and they are easily misinterpreted. That said, you were probably just making a joke, it just touched a nerve. I'll let it go, happy trails.
Croma
06-18-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:

Gotta be so picky.

Agreed. Captain America? Were they trying to be Ironic? Or maybe Adam's a fan of that comic book?
Old 06-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #371
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Gotta be so picky.

Agreed. Captain America? Were they trying to be Ironic? Or maybe Adam's a fan of that comic book?
Croma
06-18-2011, 04:42 PM

On the topic of the new album, does anyone remember a post a few years ago about Danny Carey studying Indian Gamelan percussion? The post is still on the website, it shows a picture of him touching one of the Gamelan xylophone thingies. I haven't seen anyone mention this, but maybe it will influence a new direction in his drumming on the album. I did see a post in this thread that someone mentioned he was recording samples in the rain forest for the mandala, which would also be cool.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #372
Level 4 - Thinker

On the topic of the new album, does anyone remember a post a few years ago about Danny Carey studying Indian Gamelan percussion? The post is still on the website, it shows a picture of him touching one of the Gamelan xylophone thingies. I haven't seen anyone mention this, but maybe it will influence a new direction in his drumming on the album. I did see a post in this thread that someone mentioned he was recording samples in the rain forest for the mandala, which would also be cool.
Vein's Avatar Vein
06-18-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Actually, Maynard disagrees:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXU4F31D_oo
Old 06-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #373
gaufre

Bincount™: 234

Quote:
06-18-2011, 07:18 PM

/checkmate
Old 06-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #374
Level 10 - Vehement

/checkmate
Croma
06-19-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vein View Post
Well damn! Of course there is no chance Maynard would ever be sarcastic :) I love how people only respond to the argument, noone responds to the post I made about the new album.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:36 AM   #375
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vein View Post
Well damn! Of course there is no chance Maynard would ever be sarcastic :) I love how people only respond to the argument, noone responds to the post I made about the new album.
Underalus's Avatar Underalus
06-19-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Which post? You've made about 35 already, most of which were consecutive because you can't fathom using the edit button. Also, just to entertain your argument I re-read the Undertow part of the FAQ and there is no mention of 4 degrees being the moniker of cadets at West Point. Like I said though, there was the validation of the temperature idea I brought up.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #376
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Which post? You've made about 35 already, most of which were consecutive because you can't fathom using the edit button. Also, just to entertain your argument I re-read the Undertow part of the FAQ and there is no mention of 4 degrees being the moniker of cadets at West Point. Like I said though, there was the validation of the temperature idea I brought up.
06-19-2011, 08:57 AM

Croma the point is many of the songs have multiple interpretations, some of which are tongue in cheeck innuendo. 4 degrees could be many things, but it certainly is written so that it COULD be butt secks.

So people want more butt secks songs. Get over it.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #377
Level 10 - Vehement

Croma the point is many of the songs have multiple interpretations, some of which are tongue in cheeck innuendo. 4 degrees could be many things, but it certainly is written so that it COULD be butt secks.

slamminsalmon's Avatar slamminsalmon
06-19-2011, 09:58 AM

tool songs are like ogres, and onions. they have layers.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #378
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

tool songs are like ogres, and onions. they have layers.
Bogart's Avatar Bogart
06-19-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:

This
Old 06-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #379
Watch the Weather Change

Bincount™: 4444

Quote:

This
Croma
06-19-2011, 06:02 PM

I'd like to point out that I have only made 8 (this is 9) posts on this thread...not 35..jesus. Toolfans like taking dick up their asses, Great! I already let this go - Lets try this again: does anyone remember a post a few years ago about Danny Carey studying Indonesian Gamelan percussion? The post is still on the website, it shows a picture of him touching one of the Gamelan xylophone thingies. I haven't seen anyone mention this, but maybe it will influence a new direction in his drumming on the new album. I did see a post in this thread that someone mentioned he was recording samples in the rain forest for the mandala, which would also be cool.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #380
Level 4 - Thinker

I'd like to point out that I have only made 8 (this is 9) posts on this thread...not 35..jesus. Toolfans like taking dick up their asses, Great! I already let this go - Lets try this again: does anyone remember a post a few years ago about Danny Carey studying Indonesian Gamelan percussion? The post is still on the website, it shows a picture of him touching one of the Gamelan xylophone thingies. I haven't seen anyone mention this, but maybe it will influence a new direction in his drumming on the new album. I did see a post in this thread that someone mentioned he was recording samples in the rain forest for the mandala, which would also be cool.
WookieeBlaylock's Avatar WookieeBlaylock
06-19-2011, 10:31 PM

I don't think you did let it go though, 'cause you brought it up again.

I'm not really sure what sort of response you're looking for. I mean, I get it. You're excited about whatever wonderful sounds and thumps and bumps [not in an anal sense, to be absolutely clear, har har] he'll throw down on the next album. I don't think an instrument itself would necessarily facilitate the conjuring of ideas. But still, it is exciting to think of what newfangled toys he may bust out on this new record.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #381
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

I'm not really sure what sort of response you're looking for. I mean, I get it. You're excited about whatever wonderful sounds and thumps and bumps [not in an anal sense, to be absolutely clear, har har] he'll throw down on the next album. I don't think an instrument itself would necessarily facilitate the conjuring of ideas. But still, it is exciting to think of what newfangled toys he may bust out on this new record.
06-19-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WookieeBlaylock View Post
Old 06-19-2011, 10:39 PM   #382
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by WookieeBlaylock View Post
asymptotic's Avatar asymptotic
06-20-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
does anyone remember a post a few years ago about Danny Carey studying Indonesian Gamelan percussion? The post is still on the website, it shows a picture of him touching one of the Gamelan xylophone thingies. I haven't seen anyone mention this, but maybe it will influence a new direction in his drumming on the new album. I did see a post in this thread that someone mentioned he was recording samples in the rain forest for the mandala, which would also be cool.
Yes, everyone knows that Danny studies some tabla-bongo-hippie-;adjksf;kljad;sflkjadsf-drumming shit.

Last edited by asymptotic; 06-20-2011 at 01:20 AM..
Old 06-20-2011, 01:19 AM   #383
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
does anyone remember a post a few years ago about Danny Carey studying Indonesian Gamelan percussion? The post is still on the website, it shows a picture of him touching one of the Gamelan xylophone thingies. I haven't seen anyone mention this, but maybe it will influence a new direction in his drumming on the new album. I did see a post in this thread that someone mentioned he was recording samples in the rain forest for the mandala, which would also be cool.
Yes, everyone knows that Danny studies some tabla-bongo-hippie-;adjksf;kljad;sflkjadsf-drumming shit.

Last edited by asymptotic; 06-20-2011 at 01:20 AM..
Croma
06-20-2011, 10:12 AM

No. Not tabla. Indonesian Gamelan. Look it up on wiki. It's pretty cool. After the 10,000 days tour wrapped, he went to indonesia. Its a completely different form of percussion. Almost every gamelan set is tuned differently. I can't believe I'm on toolnavy and noone thinks Danny carey's drumming is worth talking about. Isn't this the new tool album thread?

Last edited by Croma; 06-20-2011 at 10:14 AM..
Old 06-20-2011, 10:12 AM   #384
Level 4 - Thinker

No. Not tabla. Indonesian Gamelan. Look it up on wiki. It's pretty cool. After the 10,000 days tour wrapped, he went to indonesia. Its a completely different form of percussion. Almost every gamelan set is tuned differently. I can't believe I'm on toolnavy and noone thinks Danny carey's drumming is worth talking about. Isn't this the new tool album thread?

Last edited by Croma; 06-20-2011 at 10:14 AM..
rsh's Avatar rsh
06-20-2011, 10:32 AM

not drumming, gamelanning.

get it right!
Old 06-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #385
rsh
be happy with what
you have to be happy with
Suicide Booth ID: 2

Bincount™: 18992

not drumming, gamelanning.

get it right!
06-20-2011, 10:48 AM

Both the idea of rainforest samples and gamelan influence sound very cool. Gamelan is very different from western music, though, so I wonder how he would incorporate it. I would imagine that he would most likely just use some cool samples.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #386
Just chillin

Bincount™: 16

Both the idea of rainforest samples and gamelan influence sound very cool. Gamelan is very different from western music, though, so I wonder how he would incorporate it. I would imagine that he would most likely just use some cool samples.
asymptotic's Avatar asymptotic
06-20-2011, 04:28 PM

The gamelan videos I just watched on youtube sounded pretty clangy and basically just annoying sounding. Anyone have a good video of this gamelan nonsense?
Old 06-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #387
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 3

The gamelan videos I just watched on youtube sounded pretty clangy and basically just annoying sounding. Anyone have a good video of this gamelan nonsense?
Neel's Avatar Neel
06-20-2011, 04:36 PM

Did you watch this one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldPMifPbngc ? I like that one quite a bit, and have not watched many others.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #388
Just chillin

Bincount™: 16

Did you watch this one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldPMifPbngc ? I like that one quite a bit, and have not watched many others.
06-20-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Derp-a-durp?
Old 06-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #389
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Derp-a-durp?
06-20-2011, 06:09 PM

Kulintang are pretty sweet too.

Instruments like these have a very rich and complex texture, though. It's hard to reproduce, and the shitty quality of Youtube sound isn't helping. In person or on a good recording, they are intriguing instruments. Definitely different than what western ears are used to hearing, which tends to lead to a lot of confused reactions.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #390
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Kulintang are pretty sweet too.

Instruments like these have a very rich and complex texture, though. It's hard to reproduce, and the shitty quality of Youtube sound isn't helping. In person or on a good recording, they are intriguing instruments. Definitely different than what western ears are used to hearing, which tends to lead to a lot of confused reactions.
06-20-2011, 06:39 PM

I think that all sounds pretty intriguing. I'd both appreciate and almost expect danny to want to tap into that style and infuse it into his playing. It's that experimental/creative aspect of him and the rest of Tool that keep my interested after all this time.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #391
Level 10 - Vehement

I think that all sounds pretty intriguing. I'd both appreciate and almost expect danny to want to tap into that style and infuse it into his playing. It's that experimental/creative aspect of him and the rest of Tool that keep my interested after all this time.
06-20-2011, 06:43 PM

Totally. While they're all fucking awesome, I'm tempted to say: Tool = Danny.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #392
Level 7 - Loquacious

Totally. While they're all fucking awesome, I'm tempted to say: Tool = Danny.
06-21-2011, 12:23 AM

I think its awesome he may take his style in a completely new direction. He's still growing and challenging himself as an artist. I think the Gamelan influence will result in some new sounds on the mandala, but more importantly I think that it may open him up to some new rhythmical ideas that could be very cool.

@Neel - thats a good video of gamelan, very cool
Old 06-21-2011, 12:23 AM   #393
Level 4 - Thinker

I think its awesome he may take his style in a completely new direction. He's still growing and challenging himself as an artist. I think the Gamelan influence will result in some new sounds on the mandala, but more importantly I think that it may open him up to some new rhythmical ideas that could be very cool.

@Neel - thats a good video of gamelan, very cool
jazo
06-21-2011, 06:32 AM

http://jazo.tv/newbassline.mov

This is from a recording at the July 10, 2010 show in Seattle. Before Vicarious starts they played this little jam during the 2010 tour (and at a few others in the 10,000 Days tour).

To me it sounds like a definite start to a bass line. I love the peaceful vibe it gives off and cannot even imagine how awesome the addition of Adam and Danny would make it.

It almost reminds me of the sound a grandfather clock makes at the top-of-the-hour chime.
7/30/09 - Fairfax
7/10/10 - Seattle
1/24/12 - Toledo
6/23/12 - River's Edge
10/31/15 - Tempe
10/22/16 - Aftershock
6/17/17 - The Gorge
Old 06-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #394
Level 3 - Talker

http://jazo.tv/newbassline.mov

This is from a recording at the July 10, 2010 show in Seattle. Before Vicarious starts they played this little jam during the 2010 tour (and at a few others in the 10,000 Days tour).

To me it sounds like a definite start to a bass line. I love the peaceful vibe it gives off and cannot even imagine how awesome the addition of Adam and Danny would make it.

It almost reminds me of the sound a grandfather clock makes at the top-of-the-hour chime.
7/30/09 - Fairfax
7/10/10 - Seattle
1/24/12 - Toledo
6/23/12 - River's Edge
10/31/15 - Tempe
10/22/16 - Aftershock
6/17/17 - The Gorge
fraterps's Avatar fraterps
06-22-2011, 07:52 PM

Alright, there's been a bunch of twaddle spilled about the meaning of 4 degrees and it's time to clear the air some. I hope those in the back row are particularly paying attention.

There are, as in most artistic expressions, a myriad of interpretations to be given to 4 degrees. Such is the nature of the aesthetic. (As an aside for the more philosophically minded: this characteristic of aesthetic experience, and its relation to the perceptual and ultimately logical characteristics of our non-inferential observational rapport with the world, is something that runs throughout a whole domain that is properly thought of as 'aesthetic.' Truths of god, self-awareness, our socio-ethical constitution, and even the pink cubes and red pyramids of the phenomenologist, are to be understood along categories that have their home in aesthetics.)

Now with the interpetation of Tool's art there is more at work than just arbitary subjective experience. Such an approach to their work is only going to end in solipsistic nonsense, navel gazing of the most insipid variety. But the task is even worse than the need to get beyond one's own subjective perspective (or, perhaps better, to OWN one's perspective wholly as one's own).

In the first place there is the intentional obsfucation of the band and their compatriots. This is, as Blair has often remarked, in part to ensure that the foolish who would put this art to ill use would be blocked by their own incompetence--it takes a peculiar cast of mind, and a dedication of will, to effect the understanding necessary to truly utilize what lies hid beneath the surface of their work (echoes of undertow's euphoria ring in the background). In some ways it is the more apt students who are likely to suffer for their effort. That someone who understands the nature of the game should lose everything that is of any value is a heartache that only the gifted can experience, and because of this they are cursed by their gift.

But once the aspirant has breathed the air of god long enough, she begins to be able to appreciate the deeper truths enshrined in that hallow symphony. ("Mark well" the value of that word!)

And in this regard 4 degrees is fairly easy to understand.

In short, the song is about the 7th degree on Crowley's expansion of the Golden Dawn tree of life, where the ritualist takes part in a ceremony that represents the passage from Yetzirah to Binah, from the world of creation to that of form, and the crossing of the abyss of the sphere of knowledge (daath). The whole album (Undertow) is devoted to this idea. Intolerance is the banishment of the self with the dagger of yetzirah, that tool one uses when the sphere of the sun is the locus of action (the sun of course the seat of psychic sacrifice, self-immolation). Undertow (the song) is itself an expression of that experience of total self-annihilation and what lies beyond (or beneath). To cross the abyss that separates the lower 7 spheres of the tree of life from the supernal spheres (cf Isaac Luria's story of the shattering of the vessels) was, for Crowley, to completely lose oneself in the fire of the divine. To be reborn on the other side of that abyss one must be willing to give up oneself as one knows it, so as to be reborn as a babe on the other side, a new star shining in the heavens. (Nightwish's "Nemo" is about this same experience, 'nemo' being the title Crowley gave himself on that stage of his experience, 'nemo' meaning 'no name'.)

4 degrees is a song that references one of the rituals Crowley created to encapsulate this idea on the Golden Dawn's tree of life, the system that had been developed by that fraternity as a method of synthesizing the western esoteric tradition. It is a sexual ritual, one that calls for the two partners to create by their intermingling a substance that is imbued with the virility of both, a manna to be then ingested at the consummation of the act ("take what's left and eat it"). In doing so the practitioners are taking part in a ritual that is as old as western civilization itself (cf. the ancient practice of ingesting the god, found in the communion of Christians; also consider Osiris' mating with Isis after his death and dismemberment to beget Horus).

The practice itself is difficult to achieve, as far too seldom do we find partners who line up with the requirements necessary to accomplish the work in any manner other than the dim glow of a drug-addled candlelit porno, and for the ritual to work one needs a truly consummate union. Again, it is the simple-minded who have the least to fear. The inept are often saved from the ravages of the work by their own ineptitude--it is the right-minded who, should they squander their ability, find themselves lost in the tidal forces of this practice.

Last edited by fraterps; 06-22-2011 at 07:53 PM..
Old 06-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #395
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 528

Alright, there's been a bunch of twaddle spilled about the meaning of 4 degrees and it's time to clear the air some. I hope those in the back row are particularly paying attention.

There are, as in most artistic expressions, a myriad of interpretations to be given to 4 degrees. Such is the nature of the aesthetic. (As an aside for the more philosophically minded: this characteristic of aesthetic experience, and its relation to the perceptual and ultimately logical characteristics of our non-inferential observational rapport with the world, is something that runs throughout a whole domain that is properly thought of as 'aesthetic.' Truths of god, self-awareness, our socio-ethical constitution, and even the pink cubes and red pyramids of the phenomenologist, are to be understood along categories that have their home in aesthetics.)

Now with the interpetation of Tool's art there is more at work than just arbitary subjective experience. Such an approach to their work is only going to end in solipsistic nonsense, navel gazing of the most insipid variety. But the task is even worse than the need to get beyond one's own subjective perspective (or, perhaps better, to OWN one's perspective wholly as one's own).

In the first place there is the intentional obsfucation of the band and their compatriots. This is, as Blair has often remarked, in part to ensure that the foolish who would put this art to ill use would be blocked by their own incompetence--it takes a peculiar cast of mind, and a dedication of will, to effect the understanding necessary to truly utilize what lies hid beneath the surface of their work (echoes of undertow's euphoria ring in the background). In some ways it is the more apt students who are likely to suffer for their effort. That someone who understands the nature of the game should lose everything that is of any value is a heartache that only the gifted can experience, and because of this they are cursed by their gift.

But once the aspirant has breathed the air of god long enough, she begins to be able to appreciate the deeper truths enshrined in that hallow symphony. ("Mark well" the value of that word!)

And in this regard 4 degrees is fairly easy to understand.

In short, the song is about the 7th degree on Crowley's expansion of the Golden Dawn tree of life, where the ritualist takes part in a ceremony that represents the passage from Yetzirah to Binah, from the world of creation to that of form, and the crossing of the abyss of the sphere of knowledge (daath). The whole album (Undertow) is devoted to this idea. Intolerance is the banishment of the self with the dagger of yetzirah, that tool one uses when the sphere of the sun is the locus of action (the sun of course the seat of psychic sacrifice, self-immolation). Undertow (the song) is itself an expression of that experience of total self-annihilation and what lies beyond (or beneath). To cross the abyss that separates the lower 7 spheres of the tree of life from the supernal spheres (cf Isaac Luria's story of the shattering of the vessels) was, for Crowley, to completely lose oneself in the fire of the divine. To be reborn on the other side of that abyss one must be willing to give up oneself as one knows it, so as to be reborn as a babe on the other side, a new star shining in the heavens. (Nightwish's "Nemo" is about this same experience, 'nemo' being the title Crowley gave himself on that stage of his experience, 'nemo' meaning 'no name'.)

4 degrees is a song that references one of the rituals Crowley created to encapsulate this idea on the Golden Dawn's tree of life, the system that had been developed by that fraternity as a method of synthesizing the western esoteric tradition. It is a sexual ritual, one that calls for the two partners to create by their intermingling a substance that is imbued with the virility of both, a manna to be then ingested at the consummation of the act ("take what's left and eat it"). In doing so the practitioners are taking part in a ritual that is as old as western civilization itself (cf. the ancient practice of ingesting the god, found in the communion of Christians; also consider Osiris' mating with Isis after his death and dismemberment to beget Horus).

The practice itself is difficult to achieve, as far too seldom do we find partners who line up with the requirements necessary to accomplish the work in any manner other than the dim glow of a drug-addled candlelit porno, and for the ritual to work one needs a truly consummate union. Again, it is the simple-minded who have the least to fear. The inept are often saved from the ravages of the work by their own ineptitude--it is the right-minded who, should they squander their ability, find themselves lost in the tidal forces of this practice.

Last edited by fraterps; 06-22-2011 at 07:53 PM..
hellboy1975's Avatar hellboy1975
06-22-2011, 07:57 PM

/me fires spitball at fraterps from the back row
Old 06-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #396
crows before hoes

Bincount™: 8619

/me fires spitball at fraterps from the back row
06-23-2011, 12:22 AM

what a turgid, self-indulgent post. "the aspirant" made me lol.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:22 AM   #397
Level 9 - Obstreperous

what a turgid, self-indulgent post. "the aspirant" made me lol.
06-23-2011, 05:11 AM

Ah, pearls before swine.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:11 AM   #398
Level 10 - Vehement

Ah, pearls before swine.
futant55's Avatar futant55
06-23-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraterps View Post
Ah, pearls before swine.
Good comic strip
Old 06-23-2011, 05:51 AM   #399
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraterps View Post
Ah, pearls before swine.
Good comic strip
06-23-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegean_okra View Post
4 degrees is about convincing your partner to let you fuck them in the ass, dude
Only if you're willing to eat shit, dude. Otherwise the song is better read as an ode to Crowley's ritual for heterosexual apotheosis. The aim of that act of union is to create a substance the partners then ingest, so if you want to read it as a song about butsecks then you're going to have to put on your shit-eating grin and go to work.

Look at the lyrics.

Quote:
and this isn't the 4 degrees forum
But this is a forum where the interpretation of 4 degrees has been discussed. Thus the relevance of the post.

You are right that it does properly fit in 4 degrees, and maybe it will be more receptive of discussion in that venue, so I guess I'll post it there as well.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #400
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegean_okra View Post
4 degrees is about convincing your partner to let you fuck them in the ass, dude
Only if you're willing to eat shit, dude. Otherwise the song is better read as an ode to Crowley's ritual for heterosexual apotheosis. The aim of that act of union is to create a substance the partners then ingest, so if you want to read it as a song about butsecks then you're going to have to put on your shit-eating grin and go to work.

Look at the lyrics.

Quote:
and this isn't the 4 degrees forum
But this is a forum where the interpretation of 4 degrees has been discussed. Thus the relevance of the post.

You are right that it does properly fit in 4 degrees, and maybe it will be more receptive of discussion in that venue, so I guess I'll post it there as well.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply