Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Apr-July 2007
User Name
Password
ClarinetsRuleTheWorld's Avatar ClarinetsRuleTheWorld
06-24-2007, 07:51 PM

I've been a Tool fan for one year now....this was the fourth show I've seen of this tour: KC last September, Council Bluffs in May, Cedar Rapids on Tuesday and St. Louis on Friday of this week. It's Sunday and I'm just now collecting my thoughts....

All the shows were great, but I have to say this show in St. Louis was the best. The guys were absolutely on fire. The sound was best here...I don't know why, but the big arenas have better sound for this kind of music. Of course, the smaller venues are nice for the better views of the stage. I'm just so glad I went to the four shows I saw. Each one was special in its own way. But the band seemed especially inspired in St. Louis. And I'm really glad to see a more sophisticated crowd-very little stuff thrown on the stage, no booing the opening band.

Speaking of the opening band: Melt Banana was amazing, even though they were painful to listen to for very long. They played together extremely well. They obviously have nerve to stay on a stage and play when the crowd is actively booing them, like in Cedar Rapids. That takes some guts. I will assume they have a message, but sadly, I could not tell what it was because of the extreme volume and distortion of the guitar. I only have one other thing to say about that: I am now inspired to hook up my clarinet to an amp and a distortion pedal. Surely it can be done. And then, by God, I'm going to play just like Melt Banana. I can make those sounds too, trust me. In fact, I think I'll start touring with my amped distorted clarinet. So Maynard, look out. Here I come.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:51 PM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/06/22 - St. Louis, MO - Scottrade Arena

I've been a Tool fan for one year now....this was the fourth show I've seen of this tour: KC last September, Council Bluffs in May, Cedar Rapids on Tuesday and St. Louis on Friday of this week. It's Sunday and I'm just now collecting my thoughts....

All the shows were great, but I have to say this show in St. Louis was the best. The guys were absolutely on fire. The sound was best here...I don't know why, but the big arenas have better sound for this kind of music. Of course, the smaller venues are nice for the better views of the stage. I'm just so glad I went to the four shows I saw. Each one was special in its own way. But the band seemed especially inspired in St. Louis. And I'm really glad to see a more sophisticated crowd-very little stuff thrown on the stage, no booing the opening band.

Speaking of the opening band: Melt Banana was amazing, even though they were painful to listen to for very long. They played together extremely well. They obviously have nerve to stay on a stage and play when the crowd is actively booing them, like in Cedar Rapids. That takes some guts. I will assume they have a message, but sadly, I could not tell what it was because of the extreme volume and distortion of the guitar. I only have one other thing to say about that: I am now inspired to hook up my clarinet to an amp and a distortion pedal. Surely it can be done. And then, by God, I'm going to play just like Melt Banana. I can make those sounds too, trust me. In fact, I think I'll start touring with my amped distorted clarinet. So Maynard, look out. Here I come.
OFFLINE |  
Jesus Knievel's Avatar Jesus Knievel
06-24-2007, 11:46 PM

pretty badass show, i wanted maynard to listen to my demo
Old 06-24-2007, 11:46 PM   #42
On Probation

Bincount™: 1733

OFFLINE |  
2Day's Avatar 2Day
06-25-2007, 06:35 AM

Justin...Thank you for a great show
Adam....For a job well done
Danny...Keep the beat going
Maynard..Very much appreciated

Tool...With much respect..Thank you for allowing me to experience things in my own way....
Old 06-25-2007, 06:35 AM   #43
Level 3 - Talker

Justin...Thank you for a great show
Adam....For a job well done
Danny...Keep the beat going
Maynard..Very much appreciated

Tool...With much respect..Thank you for allowing me to experience things in my own way....
OFFLINE |  
TOOL_Rules
06-25-2007, 07:07 AM

The show was perfect. The band was as on as ever. There was lots of energy in Scott Trade Center. The band was definitely feeding off of it and it's a cool thing to see and feel. I am so very proud of my home town crowd. It was obvious that The Boys appreciated a sold-out 20K venue of screaming, standing fans that were as into it as the band was for two solid hours. What more could anyone ask for? It was my 8th show in eight cities on this tour alone (16th overall) and it was the best of them all, with KC last fall being #2. I'm still in awe and sure, we would have loved to have heard Flood or Pushit, but we got the whole 10K Days CD played live for us. That hasn't happened very often and it was a real treat. After thousands of dollars spent on seven road trips in 14 months it has to come to an end. Bummer. But what a way to go out!! Thank you, TOOL! Thank you to the St. Louis crowd for being one of the best they have played for on this tour. I'm pretty sure they'll play here again someday. Plenty of unforgettable memories until next time.

Last edited by TOOL_Rules; 06-25-2007 at 07:11 AM..
Old 06-25-2007, 07:07 AM   #44
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

The show was perfect. The band was as on as ever. There was lots of energy in Scott Trade Center. The band was definitely feeding off of it and it's a cool thing to see and feel. I am so very proud of my home town crowd. It was obvious that The Boys appreciated a sold-out 20K venue of screaming, standing fans that were as into it as the band was for two solid hours. What more could anyone ask for? It was my 8th show in eight cities on this tour alone (16th overall) and it was the best of them all, with KC last fall being #2. I'm still in awe and sure, we would have loved to have heard Flood or Pushit, but we got the whole 10K Days CD played live for us. That hasn't happened very often and it was a real treat. After thousands of dollars spent on seven road trips in 14 months it has to come to an end. Bummer. But what a way to go out!! Thank you, TOOL! Thank you to the St. Louis crowd for being one of the best they have played for on this tour. I'm pretty sure they'll play here again someday. Plenty of unforgettable memories until next time.

Last edited by TOOL_Rules; 06-25-2007 at 07:11 AM..
OFFLINE |  
dont_go_on_me
06-25-2007, 09:40 AM

one more thing....they played an instrumental interlude type thing between Rosetta and Intension/Right in Two....Adam and Maynard both on Keyboards, it was pretty trippy....adam removed his guitar and the tech went to tune it or something. i thought maybe we were going to get Pushit when he handed his guitar to the tech but to no avail.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:40 AM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

one more thing....they played an instrumental interlude type thing between Rosetta and Intension/Right in Two....Adam and Maynard both on Keyboards, it was pretty trippy....adam removed his guitar and the tech went to tune it or something. i thought maybe we were going to get Pushit when he handed his guitar to the tech but to no avail.
OFFLINE |  
Toolfan#1's Avatar Toolfan#1
06-26-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Knievel View Post
I was also at that show but did you really think that trowing your demo on stage during their performance was the going to make them listen to it. First of all the chances of them listening to it in a way is very slim but doing it as disrespectful as you did definitley not.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:53 PM   #46
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Knievel View Post
I was also at that show but did you really think that trowing your demo on stage during their performance was the going to make them listen to it. First of all the chances of them listening to it in a way is very slim but doing it as disrespectful as you did definitley not.
06-26-2007, 04:50 PM

oh and another thing....Maynard didnt say anything about Flash Photography during Wings and yet i clearly saw more flashes going off than in Peoria when he commented about 6 or 7 times on it.....
Old 06-26-2007, 04:50 PM   #47
Level 1 - Lurker

oh and another thing....Maynard didnt say anything about Flash Photography during Wings and yet i clearly saw more flashes going off than in Peoria when he commented about 6 or 7 times on it.....
OFFLINE |  
julacious-p
06-28-2007, 08:42 AM

wow, this was just a great show for everyone it would seem
Old 06-28-2007, 08:42 AM   #48
Level 2 - Poster

wow, this was just a great show for everyone it would seem
OFFLINE |  
Permanent Eden
06-29-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont_go_on_me View Post
I might be wrong but those flashes were coming off the stage set-up. I thought people were taking pictures too until I realized the flashes were coming from above the stage.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:39 AM   #49
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont_go_on_me View Post
I might be wrong but those flashes were coming off the stage set-up. I thought people were taking pictures too until I realized the flashes were coming from above the stage.
OFFLINE |  
stltool
06-29-2007, 02:17 PM

since this is an opinion page, everyone has they're own right, and well,..opinion, so here's mine. i have a few complaints, but only about the people attending and posting. quit bitching about the setlists! please. it's like someone complaing their wallet is too small for therir 50s! i would've liked to hear many songs they didnt play either, but this is a tour for 10,000 days, not lateralus, not aenima, and certainly not undertow. that was years ago. do you have any idea how lucky you guys are to just see these guys? they are above and beyond ANY band still recording today and they're live show is unbelievable. 10,000 days is a phenominal album and we are lucky to hear all the songs on it live. enough with that, onto the show....WOW and GODDAMN! ive been to 3 shows now, all on this tour and every one was great in its own right. i went to kansas city at the kemper (amazing-1st show, i thought id never come down) in sept last year, cape girardeau, (front row seats!!!! right in front of adam) and now stl (section 103 row D). the front row is great in its own right, but being further back getting to experience the lights and everything is better, believe me. (plus, having security that close in the front row is no picnic if you really want to enjoy yourself)!!

now, to the stl show. thanks to the crowd for being so nice, they deserve it. and a note to the a-hole who threw the demo: next time dont even bother coming. did you really think he'd listen to it? it was disrespectful to the band and the crowd and the world would be a better place without you in it!

where to begin: jambi is the coolest opener ever! its heavy as balls and really got the crowd going. rosetta stoned, schism, 46&2, and a little song called THE POT! i was really shocked to hear that one too, since it hasnt been a staple for them lately. it came on at the perfect time if you know what i mean!! (im sure most of you do) three songs in, security relaxing...oh yeah!

the lasers, lights, and artwork were fantastic. this is the only tour i've seen so i dunno what they've done in the past, other than what i've seen online, but this is hard to beat. the lasers into the clouds for "wings" was trippy as hell and made MY night much better. my favorite part i think though has got to be the screen shots, video, and artwork on the back-drop during schism. there was the rolling fireball, (like the video) and countless creepy images only seen in the world of "TOOL". overall i think the light show and the videos and artwork make the show that much better.

overall opinion of the show, badass! never been to anything more exciting in my entire life. they make me look at things in a whole new light, on a new level. concerts are my favorite thing in this world to do and ive been to 74 now. the best are tool, tool, tool, and tom waits!. all hail the best band of our era. THANK YOU TOOL (adam, maynard, danny, and justin, and the rest of the crew, including the light guys) for finally coming back around to saint louis. we love you guys and hope to see you again really soon.

SPECIAL NOTE: the couple in section 103 row D seats 3 and 4. you guys kick ass! its always great having cool people to sit by during such a great event. may your lives be filled with with joy, things from the earth :), and goddamn TOOL!!! later y'all.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

since this is an opinion page, everyone has they're own right, and well,..opinion, so here's mine. i have a few complaints, but only about the people attending and posting. quit bitching about the setlists! please. it's like someone complaing their wallet is too small for therir 50s! i would've liked to hear many songs they didnt play either, but this is a tour for 10,000 days, not lateralus, not aenima, and certainly not undertow. that was years ago. do you have any idea how lucky you guys are to just see these guys? they are above and beyond ANY band still recording today and they're live show is unbelievable. 10,000 days is a phenominal album and we are lucky to hear all the songs on it live. enough with that, onto the show....WOW and GODDAMN! ive been to 3 shows now, all on this tour and every one was great in its own right. i went to kansas city at the kemper (amazing-1st show, i thought id never come down) in sept last year, cape girardeau, (front row seats!!!! right in front of adam) and now stl (section 103 row D). the front row is great in its own right, but being further back getting to experience the lights and everything is better, believe me. (plus, having security that close in the front row is no picnic if you really want to enjoy yourself)!!

now, to the stl show. thanks to the crowd for being so nice, they deserve it. and a note to the a-hole who threw the demo: next time dont even bother coming. did you really think he'd listen to it? it was disrespectful to the band and the crowd and the world would be a better place without you in it!

where to begin: jambi is the coolest opener ever! its heavy as balls and really got the crowd going. rosetta stoned, schism, 46&2, and a little song called THE POT! i was really shocked to hear that one too, since it hasnt been a staple for them lately. it came on at the perfect time if you know what i mean!! (im sure most of you do) three songs in, security relaxing...oh yeah!

the lasers, lights, and artwork were fantastic. this is the only tour i've seen so i dunno what they've done in the past, other than what i've seen online, but this is hard to beat. the lasers into the clouds for "wings" was trippy as hell and made MY night much better. my favorite part i think though has got to be the screen shots, video, and artwork on the back-drop during schism. there was the rolling fireball, (like the video) and countless creepy images only seen in the world of "TOOL". overall i think the light show and the videos and artwork make the show that much better.

overall opinion of the show, badass! never been to anything more exciting in my entire life. they make me look at things in a whole new light, on a new level. concerts are my favorite thing in this world to do and ive been to 74 now. the best are tool, tool, tool, and tom waits!. all hail the best band of our era. THANK YOU TOOL (adam, maynard, danny, and justin, and the rest of the crew, including the light guys) for finally coming back around to saint louis. we love you guys and hope to see you again really soon.

SPECIAL NOTE: the couple in section 103 row D seats 3 and 4. you guys kick ass! its always great having cool people to sit by during such a great event. may your lives be filled with with joy, things from the earth :), and goddamn TOOL!!! later y'all.
OFFLINE |  
miketh74's Avatar miketh74
07-03-2007, 08:41 AM

THANK YOU TOOL for an amazing show!!! I just have to get one thing off my chest. Scotrade Center was built for screaming hockey fans and such. So please feel free to bitch me out if you don't agree, but I don't think that arena is very Tool friendly as far as sound. It could be that I was sitting in section 319, but I couldn't hear Maynard for shit. My wife went to the bathroom half way through the show and said she could hear him just fine in the bathroom. Again, I believe the sound was not the best up where I was. So if anyone wants to let me know how it was on the floor, I'd love to hear about it. With the exception of the laser show, I wonder what an outdoor concert at say...Verizon Amphitheatre would have been like?? I guess we'll just have to wait another 5 years to find out. It sounds like I'm whining about this awesome concert, but I'm really not. This is by no means a complaint towards Tool. In fact, the setlist couldn't have been any better. They played every song I wanted them to (except Ticks & Leeches)...and St. Louis couldn't have sounded any better...YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!! It made me proud to be there watching the band react to their disciples!! So to Maynard, Danny, Justin and Adam....PUT OUT ANOTHER ALBUM AND GET YOUR ASSES BACK HERE SOON!! L8R!!!

Wherever you go........there you are.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #51
caveman

Bincount™: 193

THANK YOU TOOL for an amazing show!!! I just have to get one thing off my chest. Scotrade Center was built for screaming hockey fans and such. So please feel free to bitch me out if you don't agree, but I don't think that arena is very Tool friendly as far as sound. It could be that I was sitting in section 319, but I couldn't hear Maynard for shit. My wife went to the bathroom half way through the show and said she could hear him just fine in the bathroom. Again, I believe the sound was not the best up where I was. So if anyone wants to let me know how it was on the floor, I'd love to hear about it. With the exception of the laser show, I wonder what an outdoor concert at say...Verizon Amphitheatre would have been like?? I guess we'll just have to wait another 5 years to find out. It sounds like I'm whining about this awesome concert, but I'm really not. This is by no means a complaint towards Tool. In fact, the setlist couldn't have been any better. They played every song I wanted them to (except Ticks & Leeches)...and St. Louis couldn't have sounded any better...YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!! It made me proud to be there watching the band react to their disciples!! So to Maynard, Danny, Justin and Adam....PUT OUT ANOTHER ALBUM AND GET YOUR ASSES BACK HERE SOON!! L8R!!!

OFFLINE |  
07-05-2007, 07:37 PM

I forgot to mention this in my last post but was it just me or did anyone else notice or hear Tool practising at around 5:00 they practised without Maynard but played bits of Jambi, Stinkfist and Rosetta Stoned I think.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:37 PM   #52
Level 4 - Thinker

I forgot to mention this in my last post but was it just me or did anyone else notice or hear Tool practising at around 5:00 they practised without Maynard but played bits of Jambi, Stinkfist and Rosetta Stoned I think.
07-09-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolfan#1 View Post
Wish I would have been there that early. I would have except for the fact I had car problems making it hard for me to get there that early. Nice rip on the dumbshit that threw the demo on stage. I don't think they got too upset about it. Actually I think STL impressed 'em pretty good.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:30 PM   #53
caveman

Bincount™: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolfan#1 View Post
Wish I would have been there that early. I would have except for the fact I had car problems making it hard for me to get there that early. Nice rip on the dumbshit that threw the demo on stage. I don't think they got too upset about it. Actually I think STL impressed 'em pretty good.

OFFLINE |  
07-15-2007, 06:59 PM

Yeah man it was incredable hearing the practise I was waiting inside at the box office from 1:20 to 7:00pm and after the scottrade management set up the barrier I hear adam start to rip Jambi then came Danny and Justin so of course I had to sing the words but who the hell wouldn't also I got a setlist from the show to it was the best one out of all four TOOL concerts that I have been to
Old 07-15-2007, 06:59 PM   #54
Level 4 - Thinker

Yeah man it was incredable hearing the practise I was waiting inside at the box office from 1:20 to 7:00pm and after the scottrade management set up the barrier I hear adam start to rip Jambi then came Danny and Justin so of course I had to sing the words but who the hell wouldn't also I got a setlist from the show to it was the best one out of all four TOOL concerts that I have been to

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply