Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive
User Name
Password
Antares
04-21-2006, 09:42 PM

I suppose I fall in the camp of those who actually like the new record, so if you don't then this probably won't apply to you.

I work at UPS and I listen to a lot of music while I'm working. So I'm at work. After listening to 10,000 Days (in its entirety) I get this overwhelming feeling that anything else I listen to after it just isn't going to be worth listening to. It's like the album is such an experience that once it's over I can't possibly hope to enjoy anything else. And I can't really. If I listen to something else it just seems boring, but after a while that feeling fades and everything is fine again. It's a weird kind of feeling, and I've never felt it before. But what makes it weirder is that while I like the album, I'm not yet convinced that it's completely fantastic. Anyone else experience something similar?
Old 04-21-2006, 09:42 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Has this happened to anyone else?

I suppose I fall in the camp of those who actually like the new record, so if you don't then this probably won't apply to you.

I work at UPS and I listen to a lot of music while I'm working. So I'm at work. After listening to 10,000 Days (in its entirety) I get this overwhelming feeling that anything else I listen to after it just isn't going to be worth listening to. It's like the album is such an experience that once it's over I can't possibly hope to enjoy anything else. And I can't really. If I listen to something else it just seems boring, but after a while that feeling fades and everything is fine again. It's a weird kind of feeling, and I've never felt it before. But what makes it weirder is that while I like the album, I'm not yet convinced that it's completely fantastic. Anyone else experience something similar?
OFFLINE |  
heavensblade23
04-21-2006, 09:43 PM

After I listen to 10,000 Days even Creed sounds good.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:43 PM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Re: Has this happened to anyone else?

After I listen to 10,000 Days even Creed sounds good.
OFFLINE |  
Madrid's Avatar Madrid
04-21-2006, 09:53 PM

Dude, we're over-run with spoiled ex-tool fans right now. Hide under a rock... hide until they go away.
http://galleryofpeanuts.blogspot.com
Old 04-21-2006, 09:53 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 20

Dude, we're over-run with spoiled ex-tool fans right now. Hide under a rock... hide until they go away.
OFFLINE |  
oui
04-21-2006, 09:57 PM

All I'm going to say is that I love the new album. It's the real deal...don't be afraid. Listen to it and grow with it. Back on topic: Yes, it has happened to me before. I can't stop listening to this album.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:57 PM   #4
oui
Level 3 - Talker

All I'm going to say is that I love the new album. It's the real deal...don't be afraid. Listen to it and grow with it. Back on topic: Yes, it has happened to me before. I can't stop listening to this album.
OFFLINE |  
Dolophane's Avatar Dolophane
04-21-2006, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
I don't mind the naysayers to the album.

But the wondering is this. In all polls it is clear people like Tool by a major difference. But it are the naysayers who make the most posts around here.

frustatred I call that.
The extremely, irritatingly vocal minority. They feel wronged for 'their' band making an album they don't like. They demand satisfaction. And the only way to achieve this, apparently, is letting everyone else know just how much they don't like the album.
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
Old 04-21-2006, 10:06 PM   #5
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
I don't mind the naysayers to the album.

But the wondering is this. In all polls it is clear people like Tool by a major difference. But it are the naysayers who make the most posts around here.

frustatred I call that.
The extremely, irritatingly vocal minority. They feel wronged for 'their' band making an album they don't like. They demand satisfaction. And the only way to achieve this, apparently, is letting everyone else know just how much they don't like the album.
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
OFFLINE |  
praefector's Avatar praefector
04-21-2006, 10:07 PM

i find myself humming the melodies on 10,000 days (especially "the pot" and "right in two") while im listening to other music
Old 04-21-2006, 10:07 PM   #6
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

i find myself humming the melodies on 10,000 days (especially "the pot" and "right in two") while im listening to other music
erazorhead's Avatar erazorhead
04-21-2006, 10:13 PM

it happened to me with aenema and also lateralus, its happened with other stuff too, but tool seems to have this effect on people. i have been unable to listen to anything else since starting to spin this on repeat constantly yesterday
Old 04-21-2006, 10:13 PM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 35

it happened to me with aenema and also lateralus, its happened with other stuff too, but tool seems to have this effect on people. i have been unable to listen to anything else since starting to spin this on repeat constantly yesterday
04-21-2006, 11:04 PM

i agree. I really had that feeling after listening to this album and thats why I cant stop listening to it, not that I want to anyways. But yeah I felt that everything else just cant live up to this album. But even that in the long run isnt true. But what is true is that this album will stay in my top 10 albums of all time for a really long long time, maybe never coming down.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:04 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

i agree. I really had that feeling after listening to this album and thats why I cant stop listening to it, not that I want to anyways. But yeah I felt that everything else just cant live up to this album. But even that in the long run isnt true. But what is true is that this album will stay in my top 10 albums of all time for a really long long time, maybe never coming down.
OFFLINE |  
Briznitch's Avatar Briznitch
04-21-2006, 11:11 PM

I find myself listening to pretty much only this album too. Went to LA yesterday for David Gilmour concert which fuckin RULED and took a bunch of video in my car on the drive. While watching it again last night I noticed this album is on in the background of every clip I took in my car hehe. Made me realize, yeah, I been jamming the FUCK out of this thing. But every now and then I will have to pry myself away, as to not wear it out. But hell, a little Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, maybe some Mars Volta, then I'm ready again.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:11 PM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 36

I find myself listening to pretty much only this album too. Went to LA yesterday for David Gilmour concert which fuckin RULED and took a bunch of video in my car on the drive. While watching it again last night I noticed this album is on in the background of every clip I took in my car hehe. Made me realize, yeah, I been jamming the FUCK out of this thing. But every now and then I will have to pry myself away, as to not wear it out. But hell, a little Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, maybe some Mars Volta, then I'm ready again.
OFFLINE |  
intoaneye's Avatar intoaneye
04-21-2006, 11:33 PM

I work at ups too... and the hicks usually just play country.... then they will act all cool and play rap :( I brought in aenima one day and everyone was like, what the hell is this. People are just worthless to good music i guess.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:33 PM   #10
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 50

I work at ups too... and the hicks usually just play country.... then they will act all cool and play rap :( I brought in aenima one day and everyone was like, what the hell is this. People are just worthless to good music i guess.
04-21-2006, 11:52 PM

After i listen to 10,000 days i get sad and have to listen to glassjaw

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:52 PM   #11
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 155

After i listen to 10,000 days i get sad and have to listen to glassjaw

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
OFFLINE |  
wix3l's Avatar wix3l
04-21-2006, 11:57 PM

If you listen to it too much you will not be able to listen to it at all in the future. Your ears can only fill with so much shit at a time.
12/11/07 San Francisco, CA

I have seen Sober, Flood, Stinkfist, H., Forty-six & 2, Ænema, The Grudge, Eon Blue Apocalypse, The Patient, Schism, Parabola, Lateralus, Disposition, Reflection, Triad, Vicarious, Jambi, Wings For Marie, 10,000 Days, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, and Holiday In Cambodia performed live.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:57 PM   #12
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 123

If you listen to it too much you will not be able to listen to it at all in the future. Your ears can only fill with so much shit at a time.
12/11/07 San Francisco, CA

I have seen Sober, Flood, Stinkfist, H., Forty-six & 2, Ænema, The Grudge, Eon Blue Apocalypse, The Patient, Schism, Parabola, Lateralus, Disposition, Reflection, Triad, Vicarious, Jambi, Wings For Marie, 10,000 Days, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, and Holiday In Cambodia performed live.
OFFLINE |  
Madrid's Avatar Madrid
04-22-2006, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briznitch
...Made me realize, yeah, I been jamming the FUCK out of this thing. But every now and then I will have to pry myself away, as to not wear it out. But hell, a little Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, maybe some Mars Volta, then I'm ready again.

Heh, I know what that is like.
It's a good thing I can appreciate some G-Funk too.
I have to say, I confuse my Tooly friends...

"What do you mean you're observing Dre Day as a Holiday?"
Old 04-22-2006, 12:05 AM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briznitch
...Made me realize, yeah, I been jamming the FUCK out of this thing. But every now and then I will have to pry myself away, as to not wear it out. But hell, a little Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, maybe some Mars Volta, then I'm ready again.

Heh, I know what that is like.
It's a good thing I can appreciate some G-Funk too.
I have to say, I confuse my Tooly friends...

"What do you mean you're observing Dre Day as a Holiday?"
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply