Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 05. The Pot
User Name
Password
plymoynihan
11-08-2006, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tad Bit Catatonic View Post
Pretty much sums it up. It's such a damn simple title, and yet it has so much damn meaning.

I think the marijuana reference is the most obvious, it's humorous as many a stupid hypocritical redneck has no doubt referred to marijuana as "The Pot". Then you have "The Pot calling the kettle black"; "The Melting Pot"; and "The Pot of gold at the end of the rainbow" (oil). Would not be surprised if all were intended, or at least most. I mean what is this - the damn guy has gone from double entendre to possibly quadruple entendre lol. What 's the fuck next?
I agree- there are many levels where we are hypocritical. This song touches on several. Someone also mentioned some of the bible reference- good pt.
Teaching that we are this melting pot of cultures but acting in an entirely different way (at one time eliminating the culture altogether (native American extermination, segregation/slavery)
Telling our people and the world that we want to help others when we can't help ourselves. Pointing our fingers at the "evildoers" when we perpetuate fear, violence and intolerance.
The list goes on- great song
Old 11-08-2006, 08:59 PM   #201
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: This song has nothing to do with Marijuana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tad Bit Catatonic View Post
Pretty much sums it up. It's such a damn simple title, and yet it has so much damn meaning.

I think the marijuana reference is the most obvious, it's humorous as many a stupid hypocritical redneck has no doubt referred to marijuana as "The Pot". Then you have "The Pot calling the kettle black"; "The Melting Pot"; and "The Pot of gold at the end of the rainbow" (oil). Would not be surprised if all were intended, or at least most. I mean what is this - the damn guy has gone from double entendre to possibly quadruple entendre lol. What 's the fuck next?
I agree- there are many levels where we are hypocritical. This song touches on several. Someone also mentioned some of the bible reference- good pt.
Teaching that we are this melting pot of cultures but acting in an entirely different way (at one time eliminating the culture altogether (native American extermination, segregation/slavery)
Telling our people and the world that we want to help others when we can't help ourselves. Pointing our fingers at the "evildoers" when we perpetuate fear, violence and intolerance.
The list goes on- great song
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
plymoynihan
11-09-2006, 09:23 PM

The "chosen indigo/lemon juice" line has got me, though. I think henna is made with the two, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, so I won't even try to speculate, but if someone has an idea, I'll hear it.[/QUOTE]

not sure, but "weeping shades of chosen indigo/lemon juice up in your eye" might refer in some way to our choice to be in Iraq: maybe that we say we had to go there to protect the world, US safety etc... but really we're there for other reasons. I think the line says more about us deceiving the public in our direction in Iraq- Does anyone remember why we originally said we had to invade this sovereign nation???
Old 11-09-2006, 09:23 PM   #202
Level 2 - Poster

The "chosen indigo/lemon juice" line has got me, though. I think henna is made with the two, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, so I won't even try to speculate, but if someone has an idea, I'll hear it.[/QUOTE]

not sure, but "weeping shades of chosen indigo/lemon juice up in your eye" might refer in some way to our choice to be in Iraq: maybe that we say we had to go there to protect the world, US safety etc... but really we're there for other reasons. I think the line says more about us deceiving the public in our direction in Iraq- Does anyone remember why we originally said we had to invade this sovereign nation???
plymoynihan
11-09-2006, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembrandt_q_einstein View Post
how can you not hear ganga police... although he could possibly be saying gotta believe but i think its ganga police... which makes me think about the war on drugs... and the ridiculousness of it
not just the war on drugs, but also the fact that we are fighting one "war" when we have so many other "wars" to fight that are much more important, i.e. hunger, AIDS, illiteracy
Old 11-09-2006, 09:36 PM   #203
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembrandt_q_einstein View Post
how can you not hear ganga police... although he could possibly be saying gotta believe but i think its ganga police... which makes me think about the war on drugs... and the ridiculousness of it
not just the war on drugs, but also the fact that we are fighting one "war" when we have so many other "wars" to fight that are much more important, i.e. hunger, AIDS, illiteracy
morethanmusic
11-11-2006, 12:32 AM

are u kidding me? check the official transcript sucka: Ganja? Please. You must have been out of your mind.

In other words. Weed? Nope. Wrong again chuckles.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:32 AM   #204
On Probation

are u kidding me? check the official transcript sucka: Ganja? Please. You must have been out of your mind.

magicbus's Avatar magicbus
11-26-2006, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanmusic View Post

Exactly. That's one of my favorite lines in the song because MJK's basically saying "please, the song is not about pot". And the scream he does on "please" is awesome.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:03 PM   #205
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanmusic View Post

Exactly. That's one of my favorite lines in the song because MJK's basically saying "please, the song is not about pot". And the scream he does on "please" is awesome.
PShepherd11's Avatar PShepherd11
11-26-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiralman View Post
Oh really? Wonder why the last line in the song references "Ganga Police"
I always thought he was saying "Ganja, puh-lease! You must have been out your mind" as in don't blame it on the weed, you had these intentions already. "Weed" being something to blame; I don't think it has anything to do with it either.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:10 PM   #206
Level 11 - Moogle (tdn $upporter)

Location: Chocobo's Forest Job: Save games & sell goods Description: Fuzzy little winged creature
Bincount™: 694

Quote:
I always thought he was saying "Ganja, puh-lease! You must have been out your mind" as in don't blame it on the weed, you had these intentions already. "Weed" being something to blame; I don't think it has anything to do with it either.
latifbp
02-22-2007, 03:54 PM

When he says "High" I think he is not referring to high on weed, but th High and Mighty position of the hypocrite. as another said on here, cozened is to influence through deception... maybe propaganda? as the Pot did call the Kettle black. It is not just on't blame it on the weed, but we're all fucking hypocites in some way, judging others considering ourselves better, or our way better. We cannot be influenced wrongly by a drug, we show our true cards, and this song is not about ganja, it's about breaking out of our shitty human tendencies and opening up our minds, beckoning this shitty human race to wake the fuck up and live to our potential instead of wasting it away.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:54 PM   #207
Level 2 - Poster

When he says "High" I think he is not referring to high on weed, but th High and Mighty position of the hypocrite. as another said on here, cozened is to influence through deception... maybe propaganda? as the Pot did call the Kettle black. It is not just on't blame it on the weed, but we're all fucking hypocites in some way, judging others considering ourselves better, or our way better. We cannot be influenced wrongly by a drug, we show our true cards, and this song is not about ganja, it's about breaking out of our shitty human tendencies and opening up our minds, beckoning this shitty human race to wake the fuck up and live to our potential instead of wasting it away.
redjenova
03-04-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latifbp View Post
I agree, but I think he's using references to pot like "ganja" and "you musta been high" to represent that hypocrisy... kind of like, say, the person he wrote the song about told him not to do something. Then that same person did something hypocritical (but not necessarily the same thing he told Maynard not to do). "You musta been high", "Who are you to wave your fatty fingers at me / You must have been out your mind": He's saying "What are you, crazy, you've got to be nuts, you musta been high to do something so hypocritical". Of course, I'm not saying that some jerk was bossing MJK around and then did something hypocritical, as I have no idea what the inspiration of the song was--that was just an example to get the point across.

That's what I always thought anyway.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:56 PM   #208
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by latifbp View Post
I agree, but I think he's using references to pot like "ganja" and "you musta been high" to represent that hypocrisy... kind of like, say, the person he wrote the song about told him not to do something. Then that same person did something hypocritical (but not necessarily the same thing he told Maynard not to do). "You musta been high", "Who are you to wave your fatty fingers at me / You must have been out your mind": He's saying "What are you, crazy, you've got to be nuts, you musta been high to do something so hypocritical". Of course, I'm not saying that some jerk was bossing MJK around and then did something hypocritical, as I have no idea what the inspiration of the song was--that was just an example to get the point across.

That's what I always thought anyway.
redjenova
03-04-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Lawlerson.

Actually I like to pretend he's screaming "KETCHUP n' LAAACE!!!"

It's a lot funnier that way.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #209
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Lawlerson.

Actually I like to pretend he's screaming "KETCHUP n' LAAACE!!!"

It's a lot funnier that way.
jevons
03-04-2007, 04:27 PM

When do you get lemon juice in your eye? When you are cutting a lemon. When you get something that is below standards, you call it a lemon. Think aboot Meatloaf. The juice symbolises the repercussions of crudely cutting into something: countries, dimensions, whatthefuckever.

Indigo is close to violet, on the kelvin scale. Purple is a healing colour ah. fuck, the cozened indigo makes no fucking sense.

But i'm right aboot the other one, so clap and make a graven image.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:27 PM   #210
Banned.

Bincount™: 779

When do you get lemon juice in your eye? When you are cutting a lemon. When you get something that is below standards, you call it a lemon. Think aboot Meatloaf. The juice symbolises the repercussions of crudely cutting into something: countries, dimensions, whatthefuckever.

Indigo is close to violet, on the kelvin scale. Purple is a healing colour ah. fuck, the cozened indigo makes no fucking sense.

But i'm right aboot the other one, so clap and make a graven image.
jevons
03-04-2007, 04:29 PM

This quadruple entendre shit: hilarious.

They came in with deep lyrics in the beginning so they wouldn't have to explain shit over and over again. Now we do the hard work, they move on to harder topics.

We draw the parralels, connect the dots. They smile and take our money, fuck our women.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #211
Banned.

This quadruple entendre shit: hilarious.

They came in with deep lyrics in the beginning so they wouldn't have to explain shit over and over again. Now we do the hard work, they move on to harder topics.

We draw the parralels, connect the dots. They smile and take our money, fuck our women.
jevons
03-04-2007, 04:30 PM

This album was an experiment. The next one comes with a thought-powered CD case. It's powered by thoughts and eggless hash brownies.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:30 PM   #212
Banned.

This album was an experiment. The next one comes with a thought-powered CD case. It's powered by thoughts and eggless hash brownies.
sicbanana's Avatar sicbanana
03-29-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevons View Post
a little annotation: indigo is also the color of your third eye in hinduism
Old 03-29-2007, 12:36 PM   #213
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevons View Post
a little annotation: indigo is also the color of your third eye in hinduism
03-30-2007, 09:38 AM

I've noticed quite a few people making references to the chakras and third eye stuff with this song. You people are still stuck on Aenima and Lateralus it seems. You DO realize this is a NEW album, right? And hopefully, you DO realize that "The Pot" has absolutely NOTHING to do with your third eye or chakra points. Of course it's a layered song somewhat but, that's just reading way too much into an intention that was never there to begin with. We may not know exactly what or whom is being referenced in this song but, it only takes a smidget of common sense to know that this song isn't mystical and about higher consciousness. Aenima was Aenima and Lateralus was Lateralus......THIS IS 10,000 DAYS, a NEW record with NEW thoughts and ideas. Get over it.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:38 AM   #214
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

I've noticed quite a few people making references to the chakras and third eye stuff with this song. You people are still stuck on Aenima and Lateralus it seems. You DO realize this is a NEW album, right? And hopefully, you DO realize that "The Pot" has absolutely NOTHING to do with your third eye or chakra points. Of course it's a layered song somewhat but, that's just reading way too much into an intention that was never there to begin with. We may not know exactly what or whom is being referenced in this song but, it only takes a smidget of common sense to know that this song isn't mystical and about higher consciousness. Aenima was Aenima and Lateralus was Lateralus......THIS IS 10,000 DAYS, a NEW record with NEW thoughts and ideas. Get over it.
03-30-2007, 02:40 PM

lemon juice in third eye..
third eyes in muddy waters...

third eye gets sore and turns indigo...
makes sense doesnt it??
....lol
Old 03-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #215

Bincount™: 43

lemon juice in third eye..
third eyes in muddy waters...

third eye gets sore and turns indigo...
makes sense doesnt it??
....lol
03-30-2007, 02:46 PM

MORALE.
take care of your third eye.dont swim in mud puddles.keep lemons away from it...

im sure maynard cant think of pulling this many meanings out of some nonsense clearly written under drug influence
Old 03-30-2007, 02:46 PM   #216

Bincount™: 43

MORALE.
take care of your third eye.dont swim in mud puddles.keep lemons away from it...

im sure maynard cant think of pulling this many meanings out of some nonsense clearly written under drug influence
04-02-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by author of bible View Post
MORALE.

Come again?
Old 04-02-2007, 11:26 AM   #217
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by author of bible View Post
MORALE.

Come again?
05-24-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
ganga police would prolly be about usa's war on drugs
Old 05-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #218
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
ganga police would prolly be about usa's war on drugs
Apachana's Avatar Apachana
05-24-2007, 06:29 PM

Lemon juice = acid ?
"In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? - like some hand of god hovering above... At least it is true, that man has no control even over his own will."
Old 05-24-2007, 06:29 PM   #219
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1759

Lemon juice = acid ?
"In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? - like some hand of god hovering above... At least it is true, that man has no control even over his own will."
broughtskin's Avatar broughtskin
05-25-2007, 04:55 PM

yeah that could work...
Old 05-25-2007, 04:55 PM   #220
Level 2 - Poster

yeah that could work...
07-28-2007, 05:53 AM

As new lurker i must get 2 know the functions of the forum first then post my own opinion.If ud like though u could check the Spli(ff)t Decision post of Usurper, if it's not 2 dull. It's propably 2 the point, by my standards of course...Otherwise i must agree with the theory of vague lyrics 4 endorsing free and expanded indivindual thinking. Anyway as Piradelo quotes: Truth is what we perceive as truth (e.g. One say 2 the other while on a ship: Hey man the harbour is departing!")

Last edited by Usurper; 07-28-2007 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: not 2 say big words
Old 07-28-2007, 05:53 AM   #221
Level 1 - Lurker

As new lurker i must get 2 know the functions of the forum first then post my own opinion.If ud like though u could check the Spli(ff)t Decision post of Usurper, if it's not 2 dull. It's propably 2 the point, by my standards of course...Otherwise i must agree with the theory of vague lyrics 4 endorsing free and expanded indivindual thinking. Anyway as Piradelo quotes: Truth is what we perceive as truth (e.g. One say 2 the other while on a ship: Hey man the harbour is departing!")

Last edited by Usurper; 07-28-2007 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: not 2 say big words
miketh74's Avatar miketh74
07-29-2007, 04:22 PM

The play on words in the lyrics is a dead giveaway that it's about the melting pot of America, not weed. I like how he pronounces refer as "reefer" in the song. That's just genius. Only Maynard!!

Wherever you go........there you are.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #222
caveman

Bincount™: 193

The play on words in the lyrics is a dead giveaway that it's about the melting pot of America, not weed. I like how he pronounces refer as "reefer" in the song. That's just genius. Only Maynard!!

magiclessmarker
08-09-2007, 09:47 AM

This song is all about hypocrisy.

"Who are you to wave your finger? / You must have been out 'your head" = He's calling the person a hypocrite, saying that he must have been mad to think that he was any better than anyone else.

"Eye hole deep in muddy waters / You practically raise the dead" = The hypocrite is up to his eyes in trouble, so to speak, with his act of greatness. You can't see clearly in muddy waters. Yet he continues to act high-and-mighty as if he's better than everyone else. "You practically raise the dead" is a metaphor for the hypocrite acting as if he's on par with God.

"Rob the grave to snow the cradle / Then burn the evidence down" = The hypocrite performs immoral acts and profits from them. "Snow the cradle" could be considered a metaphor for "showering one's home in riches." This shows that the hypocrite has gained his self-proclaimed "greatness" (i.e. wealth) through improper means. The hypocrite then proceeds to attempt to cover up his doings.

"Soapbox house of cards and glass" = The hypocrite preaches as if he knows better than they, yet the base on which his points rest is as sturdy as a house of cards. It's easily shattered, like glass.

"So don't go tossin' your stones around" = This is another common statement about hypocrites altered into Keenan's own words: "Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones."

"You must've been high" = The hypocrite must've been really high on himself to actually think he was better than anyone else.

"Foot in mouth and head up ass / So what’chu talkin' 'bout?" = Again calling the person a hypocrite, this time two times in succession, and in different words each time.

"Difficult to dance ‘round this one / ‘Til you pull it out, boy" = A bit hard to show someone how hypocritical he is unless he pulls his foot out of his mouth or his head from his ass, isn't it?

"Steal, borrow, reaper, savior / Shady inference" = The difference between right and wrong is presented here; opposite sides of the spectrum, if you will. Sealing is to reaper as borrow is to savior. The hypocrite has been stealing, as evidenced in the earlier lyric, "Rob the grave to snow the cradle".

"Kangaroo done hung the juror with the innocent" = This applies to the term "kangaroo court," in reference to shady and improper trial proceedings. Here, it's telling the hypocrite that his ways are like that of a kangaroo court: shady and improper (i.e. stealing).

"Now you're weepin' shades of cozened indigo / Got lemon juice up in your eye / When you pissed all over my black kettle" = The metaphor of the hypocrite urinating on the other's kettle is used to describe the hypocrite disregarding what the others say against him as unimportant garbage. Similar to peeling/squeezing a lemon and it squirting its stinging juice into his eye, his urine (i.e. his down talking of what the others warned him of: the warnings they gave him of the consequences for becoming too prideful) has splashed back up off the kettle into his eye, stinging. He now realizes what he's been doing was wrong and breaks into tears, regretting his immoral deeds. This is metaphorically explained with the line, "Now you're weepin' cozened shades of indigo" in that he chose this path, yet is now crying in regret over it. He chose his own fate, his own tears, if you will.

"So full of it" = Referring to when he was being prideful and holier-than-thou: his statements proved he was full of shit with his almost Godlike claims of being so great.

"Fuckin' hypocrite" = Check and mate. This line fully proves my theory.

"Liar, lawyer" = This further ties into the earlier line referencing the term "kangaroo court".

"Mirror, show me what's the difference?" = Reference to Snow White and the queen's magic mirror. The queen would request the mirror to show her who the greatest one of all was. Here, the person is saying that all are equal: no one is better than any other.

"Weeping shades of indigo / Shed without a reason" = The people still don't know how he became so wealthy and prideful; they know not of his wrongdoings or what he's crying over. He is crying over those wrongdoings, yet they do not know that. They cannot figure out the reason for his tears.

"Mirror, for you what's the difference?" = A mirror has no sense of preference or bias; it simply shows what's put in front of it. It knows not what ego, stature, position, or power are; it shows anyone, no matter what part they play in society. This can be seen as the basic idea of all being equal. All are simply human.

"Kangaroo be stoned / He's guilty as the government" = The hypocrite has been sentenced to death by stoning by the government, which is hypocritical in and of itself. The government is just as guilty as the "kangaroo courts" themselves for allowing them to happen, for not having a way of stopping them from happening.

Last edited by magiclessmarker; 08-09-2007 at 09:50 AM..
Old 08-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #223
Level 4 - Thinker

"Who are you to wave your finger? / You must have been out 'your head" = He's calling the person a hypocrite, saying that he must have been mad to think that he was any better than anyone else.

"Eye hole deep in muddy waters / You practically raise the dead" = The hypocrite is up to his eyes in trouble, so to speak, with his act of greatness. You can't see clearly in muddy waters. Yet he continues to act high-and-mighty as if he's better than everyone else. "You practically raise the dead" is a metaphor for the hypocrite acting as if he's on par with God.

"Rob the grave to snow the cradle / Then burn the evidence down" = The hypocrite performs immoral acts and profits from them. "Snow the cradle" could be considered a metaphor for "showering one's home in riches." This shows that the hypocrite has gained his self-proclaimed "greatness" (i.e. wealth) through improper means. The hypocrite then proceeds to attempt to cover up his doings.

"Soapbox house of cards and glass" = The hypocrite preaches as if he knows better than they, yet the base on which his points rest is as sturdy as a house of cards. It's easily shattered, like glass.

"So don't go tossin' your stones around" = This is another common statement about hypocrites altered into Keenan's own words: "Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones."

"You must've been high" = The hypocrite must've been really high on himself to actually think he was better than anyone else.

"Foot in mouth and head up ass / So what’chu talkin' 'bout?" = Again calling the person a hypocrite, this time two times in succession, and in different words each time.

"Difficult to dance ‘round this one / ‘Til you pull it out, boy" = A bit hard to show someone how hypocritical he is unless he pulls his foot out of his mouth or his head from his ass, isn't it?

"Steal, borrow, reaper, savior / Shady inference" = The difference between right and wrong is presented here; opposite sides of the spectrum, if you will. Sealing is to reaper as borrow is to savior. The hypocrite has been stealing, as evidenced in the earlier lyric, "Rob the grave to snow the cradle".

"Kangaroo done hung the juror with the innocent" = This applies to the term "kangaroo court," in reference to shady and improper trial proceedings. Here, it's telling the hypocrite that his ways are like that of a kangaroo court: shady and improper (i.e. stealing).

"Now you're weepin' shades of cozened indigo / Got lemon juice up in your eye / When you pissed all over my black kettle" = The metaphor of the hypocrite urinating on the other's kettle is used to describe the hypocrite disregarding what the others say against him as unimportant garbage. Similar to peeling/squeezing a lemon and it squirting its stinging juice into his eye, his urine (i.e. his down talking of what the others warned him of: the warnings they gave him of the consequences for becoming too prideful) has splashed back up off the kettle into his eye, stinging. He now realizes what he's been doing was wrong and breaks into tears, regretting his immoral deeds. This is metaphorically explained with the line, "Now you're weepin' cozened shades of indigo" in that he chose this path, yet is now crying in regret over it. He chose his own fate, his own tears, if you will.

"So full of it" = Referring to when he was being prideful and holier-than-thou: his statements proved he was full of shit with his almost Godlike claims of being so great.

"Liar, lawyer" = This further ties into the earlier line referencing the term "kangaroo court".

"Mirror, show me what's the difference?" = Reference to Snow White and the queen's magic mirror. The queen would request the mirror to show her who the greatest one of all was. Here, the person is saying that all are equal: no one is better than any other.

"Weeping shades of indigo / Shed without a reason" = The people still don't know how he became so wealthy and prideful; they know not of his wrongdoings or what he's crying over. He is crying over those wrongdoings, yet they do not know that. They cannot figure out the reason for his tears.

"Mirror, for you what's the difference?" = A mirror has no sense of preference or bias; it simply shows what's put in front of it. It knows not what ego, stature, position, or power are; it shows anyone, no matter what part they play in society. This can be seen as the basic idea of all being equal. All are simply human.

"Kangaroo be stoned / He's guilty as the government" = The hypocrite has been sentenced to death by stoning by the government, which is hypocritical in and of itself. The government is just as guilty as the "kangaroo courts" themselves for allowing them to happen, for not having a way of stopping them from happening.

Last edited by magiclessmarker; 08-09-2007 at 09:50 AM..
miketh74's Avatar miketh74
08-16-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiclessmarker View Post

I think we can lock this one up....great summarization magiclessmarker. Can't get any more detailed and analytical than that. I agree 100%.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:05 PM   #224
caveman

Bincount™: 193

Quote:

I think we can lock this one up....great summarization magiclessmarker. Can't get any more detailed and analytical than that. I agree 100%.

Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
08-21-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Very well put, I agree with this, except I can see the lemon juice in your eye line as also just saying he's faking his tears, not necessarily that's he's now crying over it. He's pretending he actually cares by shedding fake tears hence "you musta' got lemon juice up in your eye".

KUDOS for not making this into a third eye or chakra rant. I'm so tired of seeing people try to connect the two, it's just not there. Somebody previously made a statement that because he says "in your eye" singular that it just HAD to be the third eye....whatever
Old 08-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #225
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

Very well put, I agree with this, except I can see the lemon juice in your eye line as also just saying he's faking his tears, not necessarily that's he's now crying over it. He's pretending he actually cares by shedding fake tears hence "you musta' got lemon juice up in your eye".

KUDOS for not making this into a third eye or chakra rant. I'm so tired of seeing people try to connect the two, it's just not there. Somebody previously made a statement that because he says "in your eye" singular that it just HAD to be the third eye....whatever
09-21-2007, 05:23 PM

Ticks & Leeches's "suck me dry" has nothing to do with a blowjob, either. This is just the way Maynard does it -- he makes it ambiguous with the easy answer being something easy to perceive (prison sex, a blowjob, smoking pot, "stinkfist"), and the true meaning being a lot harder to figure out. The two meanings separate the nimble-minded and the thinkers. It's beauteous.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #226
Level 4 - Thinker

Ticks & Leeches's "suck me dry" has nothing to do with a blowjob, either. This is just the way Maynard does it -- he makes it ambiguous with the easy answer being something easy to perceive (prison sex, a blowjob, smoking pot, "stinkfist"), and the true meaning being a lot harder to figure out. The two meanings separate the nimble-minded and the thinkers. It's beauteous.
parables in the world's Avatar parables in the world
09-21-2007, 10:22 PM

What if its about the u.s and all its hypocrisy....hence the line

"Soap box house of cards and glass." ----The U.N bulding....

The marijuana laws...lying about NAtive's...just plain out hypocrites.

Not believing in things won't make it happen because you don't believe it will.

Peace is a physical and spiritual balance.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:22 PM   #227
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 14

What if its about the u.s and all its hypocrisy....hence the line

"Soap box house of cards and glass." ----The U.N bulding....

The marijuana laws...lying about NAtive's...just plain out hypocrites.

Not believing in things won't make it happen because you don't believe it will.

Peace is a physical and spiritual balance.
dj_philharmonic's Avatar dj_philharmonic
12-03-2007, 09:15 AM

I think that 's very true... Sometimes we look at the surface of things and stereotype what we think we know or rather what we don't know.. The song "the Pot is a cryptic message but then again most Tool songs are.. " "You must've been High" like sayin are high man>....although it does refer to "reefer" hmmm...
Old 12-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #228

Location: Montucky, where men are men, sheep are nervous, women are scarce.
Bincount™: 57

I think that 's very true... Sometimes we look at the surface of things and stereotype what we think we know or rather what we don't know.. The song "the Pot is a cryptic message but then again most Tool songs are.. " "You must've been High" like sayin are high man>....although it does refer to "reefer" hmmm...
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
12-03-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_philharmonic View Post
If you are refering to the lyric "Ganja puh-lease" I think he's poking fun at the potheads who all immediately think the song's about weed. Kind of like saying "bitch please", and your dumbass thought I was writing a song about weed. Although I wouldn't necessarily rule out the possibility that it may be in part about hypocrisy in the war on drugs as well.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:23 AM   #229
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_philharmonic View Post
If you are refering to the lyric "Ganja puh-lease" I think he's poking fun at the potheads who all immediately think the song's about weed. Kind of like saying "bitch please", and your dumbass thought I was writing a song about weed. Although I wouldn't necessarily rule out the possibility that it may be in part about hypocrisy in the war on drugs as well.
12-13-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:

I really like your interpretation of this song, but I would like to take it one step further. This song is an indictment of George W. Bush (or puppet master Cheney for that matter).

George W. Bush has been telling the American citizens that we have been in a war to end terrorism and the tyranny of "evil" men in the world when in fact that is exactly what he has become. He tells the American people that we are trying create freedom and democracy in Iraq when he is pissing all over our own constitution and ignoring the principles that he is so ready to impose on others. The quote "you practically raise the dead" could be interpreted as a metaphor for the fact that Bush has kept us in this war for reasons which we have already resolved and he is reviving the past fears of 9/11 and other tragedies to scare American citizens into supporting his war. He is the liar and the hypocrite.

The line "Rob the grave to snow the cradle, and the burn the evidence" could reference the fact that this administration has continually covered it's tracks by destroying evidence that would work against it. They fed us lies and then destroyed any evidence of the truth in an attempt to keep us from knowing (Attorney General Gonzalez...cough cough).

The metaphors abound, and the point is that it is olw "Dubya" who is the hypocrite. Fighting for justice and democracy by pissing all over our constitution. If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:30 PM   #230
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Quote:

I really like your interpretation of this song, but I would like to take it one step further. This song is an indictment of George W. Bush (or puppet master Cheney for that matter).

George W. Bush has been telling the American citizens that we have been in a war to end terrorism and the tyranny of "evil" men in the world when in fact that is exactly what he has become. He tells the American people that we are trying create freedom and democracy in Iraq when he is pissing all over our own constitution and ignoring the principles that he is so ready to impose on others. The quote "you practically raise the dead" could be interpreted as a metaphor for the fact that Bush has kept us in this war for reasons which we have already resolved and he is reviving the past fears of 9/11 and other tragedies to scare American citizens into supporting his war. He is the liar and the hypocrite.

The line "Rob the grave to snow the cradle, and the burn the evidence" could reference the fact that this administration has continually covered it's tracks by destroying evidence that would work against it. They fed us lies and then destroyed any evidence of the truth in an attempt to keep us from knowing (Attorney General Gonzalez...cough cough).

The metaphors abound, and the point is that it is olw "Dubya" who is the hypocrite. Fighting for justice and democracy by pissing all over our constitution. If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is.
12-13-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post

i totally disagree. i think he is saying ganja please like "just ganja? nah man you must have been on some serious shit, out of your mind."
Old 12-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #231
On Probation

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post

i totally disagree. i think he is saying ganja please like "just ganja? nah man you must have been on some serious shit, out of your mind."
๖ۣۜThe Stove๖ۣۜ
01-14-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaner View Post
Yeah, man! THat's what I think too!

WATCH OUT: You're dead.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:33 PM   #232
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaner View Post
Yeah, man! THat's what I think too!

ButIForgotMyPen
01-17-2008, 11:37 AM

why does it say Steal borrow REFER save your shady infrence then. Doesnt refer refur to some one who smokes weed or is another name for weed? And then it says Ganja Poliece it has something to do with WEED for fuck sake
Old 01-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #233
Level 3 - Talker

why does it say Steal borrow REFER save your shady infrence then. Doesnt refer refur to some one who smokes weed or is another name for weed? And then it says Ganja Poliece it has something to do with WEED for fuck sake
๖ۣۜThe Stove๖ۣۜ
01-20-2008, 03:43 AM

wow. You started spelling the word "refer" wrong to try and back up your argument?

REEFER is a term people use to REFER to marijuana. I believe Maynard says "Steal, borrow, refer"

I think Maynard is saying that referring is just a nice word for borrowing, that is just a nice word for stealing (in the corporate world).

I don't really know what refer means in a corporate sense, but for some reason I could see it having to do with some top-dog of a company that has all his food, entertainment, etc. paid for by the MAN, even though he still makes $250K a year. Like, whenever he goes out of town and needs a hotel he "sends a referral" back to the company, and it takes care of his bills.

That's how it works with the foremen & superintendents when I go out of town and work.

But I don't know if the correct term for that is "sending out a referral" so I might be totally off.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:43 AM   #234
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

wow. You started spelling the word "refer" wrong to try and back up your argument?

REEFER is a term people use to REFER to marijuana. I believe Maynard says "Steal, borrow, refer"

I think Maynard is saying that referring is just a nice word for borrowing, that is just a nice word for stealing (in the corporate world).

I don't really know what refer means in a corporate sense, but for some reason I could see it having to do with some top-dog of a company that has all his food, entertainment, etc. paid for by the MAN, even though he still makes $250K a year. Like, whenever he goes out of town and needs a hotel he "sends a referral" back to the company, and it takes care of his bills.

That's how it works with the foremen & superintendents when I go out of town and work.

But I don't know if the correct term for that is "sending out a referral" so I might be totally off.

TheodoreHill
01-28-2021, 10:13 AM

i had health problems, migraines and a disgusting mood. And all this was passed on to my family. I really did not like it all. When I was advised wayofleaf.com. Thanks so much for them, a huge selections, you will find everything you nee
Old 01-28-2021, 10:13 AM   #235
Level 1 - Lurker

i had health problems, migraines and a disgusting mood. And all this was passed on to my family. I really did not like it all. When I was advised wayofleaf.com. Thanks so much for them, a huge selections, you will find everything you nee

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply