Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive
User Name
Password
dracomordag's Avatar dracomordag
04-22-2006, 10:10 PM

good analysis of each track, but i doubt it's all about maynard's mom
Old 04-22-2006, 10:10 PM   #41
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Location: UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE IMO
Bincount™: 8627
Re: 10,000 Days is an opera with a very cohesive story

good analysis of each track, but i doubt it's all about maynard's mom
04-22-2006, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry
EDIT: also mind you that i'm in my 30's and my mom is getting up there in age. so this is how i hear and feel the album PERSONALLY (minus the guilt issues i described above) it's definitely not the ultimate and definitive cliff notes or anything.
are you 31?

says in your profile you are 54.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:31 PM   #42
On Probation

Bincount™: 30

Quote:
EDIT: also mind you that i'm in my 30's and my mom is getting up there in age. so this is how i hear and feel the album PERSONALLY (minus the guilt issues i described above) it's definitely not the ultimate and definitive cliff notes or anything.
are you 31?

says in your profile you are 54.
OFFLINE |  
eoolat
04-22-2006, 10:44 PM

Thank you for taking the time to write out your interpretation; it makes me smile when I encounter people who can formulate entire sentences without tripping over spelling and grammar. [Not to mention all of your thoughts and ideas, which are at least as interesting as anything I've seen about this album so far!] I'm going to have to come back to this after some sleep, as right now my vision is blurring too much to read it through a second time. Thank you again.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:44 PM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Thank you for taking the time to write out your interpretation; it makes me smile when I encounter people who can formulate entire sentences without tripping over spelling and grammar. [Not to mention all of your thoughts and ideas, which are at least as interesting as anything I've seen about this album so far!] I'm going to have to come back to this after some sleep, as right now my vision is blurring too much to read it through a second time. Thank you again.
OFFLINE |  
Jackoff for Jesus
04-22-2006, 10:58 PM

Though i don't agree with you, awsome fucking post =)
Old 04-22-2006, 10:58 PM   #44
Level 1 - Lurker

Though i don't agree with you, awsome fucking post =)
OFFLINE |  
Keyser_OGT
04-22-2006, 11:11 PM

I love your interpretation. I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but I love it.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:11 PM   #45
Level 4 - Thinker

I love your interpretation. I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but I love it.
mike09's Avatar mike09
04-23-2006, 02:56 AM

interesting idea, threadstarter. I don't believe much of it, but it's still interesting.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:56 AM   #46
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

interesting idea, threadstarter. I don't believe much of it, but it's still interesting.
OFFLINE |  
exaviour02
04-23-2006, 05:20 AM

Great interpriation....

proof that even with a "straight forward" album, there is still room for people to take something else, apart from the general consensis, from this.....
Old 04-23-2006, 05:20 AM   #47
Level 3 - Talker

Great interpriation....

proof that even with a "straight forward" album, there is still room for people to take something else, apart from the general consensis, from this.....
OFFLINE |  
THEFEZ
04-23-2006, 05:34 AM

Very interesting! Maybe not 100% accurate but I am sure it is on the right track! Remember when Maynard's Mom passed it was on tool's site! I am sure it affected the band. How could it not? Great post!
Old 04-23-2006, 05:34 AM   #48
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Very interesting! Maybe not 100% accurate but I am sure it is on the right track! Remember when Maynard's Mom passed it was on tool's site! I am sure it affected the band. How could it not? Great post!
OFFLINE |  
Untamed
04-23-2006, 06:03 AM

Quote:

The Pot --- Maynard's mom is signing here, hence the womanly voice in a very southern baptist bitchy annoying kinda way. She's pointing out that for all these years Maynard has been a hypocrite. All these years with all his talk about the ugliness of people (Undertow), about his passion for change (Aenima), and his desire to transcend (Lateralus), he couldn't even show compassion and empathy toward his own mother. And with the lack of courage to deal with the real personal issues, he's been "high" (metaphorically, metaphysically, physically, chemically, you get my drift) and pretend that it's not there, just like how his mother was afraid and pretending that the abuse wasn't happening. so it's kinda like "How can you point your finger at me about being a coward and not saving you, while you're just as much of a coward yourself and avoid dealing with the issues by coming to me? Instead you found solace in Stinkfist and Parabola just like I found solace in jesus, the bible and whatever" maynard's mom slaps him in face, more than once. (maynard are not discrediting his previous work here. he's just pointing the hypocrisy of it, while they can still remain magnificent in its own right just like marie's conviction in her god). This is poetically like Judith reverse from the mom's perspectives (I'm not saying TOOL sounds like APC. don't flame me because you can't read)

Awesome.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:03 AM   #49
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:

The Pot --- Maynard's mom is signing here, hence the womanly voice in a very southern baptist bitchy annoying kinda way. She's pointing out that for all these years Maynard has been a hypocrite. All these years with all his talk about the ugliness of people (Undertow), about his passion for change (Aenima), and his desire to transcend (Lateralus), he couldn't even show compassion and empathy toward his own mother. And with the lack of courage to deal with the real personal issues, he's been "high" (metaphorically, metaphysically, physically, chemically, you get my drift) and pretend that it's not there, just like how his mother was afraid and pretending that the abuse wasn't happening. so it's kinda like "How can you point your finger at me about being a coward and not saving you, while you're just as much of a coward yourself and avoid dealing with the issues by coming to me? Instead you found solace in Stinkfist and Parabola just like I found solace in jesus, the bible and whatever" maynard's mom slaps him in face, more than once. (maynard are not discrediting his previous work here. he's just pointing the hypocrisy of it, while they can still remain magnificent in its own right just like marie's conviction in her god). This is poetically like Judith reverse from the mom's perspectives (I'm not saying TOOL sounds like APC. don't flame me because you can't read)

Awesome.
OFFLINE |  
Athanatizein
04-23-2006, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha
I like this, but it's a little too much. Remember Adam saying how this was his band? Why let someone just take it for themselves then? Remember how, [whoever said this before me] he speaks of the band first, and of the whole artistic input from each and everyone, and not him being the sole contributor as you so imply.

No doubt, it could be a piece of the album. However, we all intake art differently and as you said that you might be going through the same things on a lesser note, then if it pleases you why not. I enjoyed reading it. I didn't accept it, I don't want to because I think there is much more to this band than one [band] member's input controlling the majority of such a product.
Dare I remind you of the fact that in that same interview Adam claimed that the new album was more of a linear story than their earlier work?

Even if this interpretation is fallacious, this would indicate that there is a story here, wouldn't it? A coherent framework?
Vigniti tres gradus ad summam potestatem.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:49 AM   #50
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha
I like this, but it's a little too much. Remember Adam saying how this was his band? Why let someone just take it for themselves then? Remember how, [whoever said this before me] he speaks of the band first, and of the whole artistic input from each and everyone, and not him being the sole contributor as you so imply.

No doubt, it could be a piece of the album. However, we all intake art differently and as you said that you might be going through the same things on a lesser note, then if it pleases you why not. I enjoyed reading it. I didn't accept it, I don't want to because I think there is much more to this band than one [band] member's input controlling the majority of such a product.
Dare I remind you of the fact that in that same interview Adam claimed that the new album was more of a linear story than their earlier work?

Even if this interpretation is fallacious, this would indicate that there is a story here, wouldn't it? A coherent framework?
Vigniti tres gradus ad summam potestatem.
OFFLINE |  
Aggroculture's Avatar Aggroculture
04-25-2006, 07:18 AM

Interesting analysis, but there's a lot more to 10,000 Days than a tribute to his mom. I mean, to me, Vicarious is about people watching the War against Iraq on TV...
Old 04-25-2006, 07:18 AM   #51
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

Interesting analysis, but there's a lot more to 10,000 Days than a tribute to his mom. I mean, to me, Vicarious is about people watching the War against Iraq on TV...
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply