opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2009, 10:05 AM   #5161
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Maynard is on Indie 103.1 Wino Wednesdays show with Joe Escalante!!!

Go now!!! Right now!!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 10:05 AM   #5162
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

gotta love april 1... i cant wait to see the email responses to this years joke.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #5163
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by winste View Post
I think kabir needs to get more creative. Going to the station to pick them up wouldn't deter scalping. Do it like NIN is. Force presales to go to venue day of show to pick up tickets.

(Call me a fool. I did get all excited, expecially after seeing Indy. Got me, kinda)

i thought it was creative to the extent that it put the joke on other poeple, not just us. the KROQ lady was holding her tongue when i called. im sure other radio stations got some calls they thought were weird

Last edited by AddRokk; 04-01-2009 at 10:21 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #5164
Level 4 - Thinker

Haven't posted in awhile. I've been checking the website every day since I saw that they were playing the Mile High festival this year waiting to see what the Summer tour dates are. My heart damn near sunk when I read that the tickets were almost sold out...Great April Fool's joke though. Way to go, I'm hoping to get some real news on summer dates here soon.

Peace
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #5165
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

brilliant way to get people thinking tool
Old 04-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #5166
Level 3 - Talker

whoever said tool has us by the balls. its so true. and i love that they have my balls (except i get too excited hearing stuff like that even though I know its April fools)
Old 04-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #5167
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by winste View Post
Is there some deeper meaning to COZENED? Excuse my ignorance if I'm missing something. Just a dumb pollock.
Cozen = 'Trick' or 'Deceive'
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #5168
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Cozen = 'Trick' or 'Deceive'
Dammit Junior, when is this January 17 nonesense coming to fruition? I've been asking since January 17 of '08 and still...nothing. What's the deal?
Old 04-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #5169
Level 8 - Vociferous

Oh and also, that bit over at Toolband about "JESUS LOVES YOU", is that a tongue-in-cheek reference to the April fools joke some years back about Maynard finding God?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #5170
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz46&2 View Post
Oh and also, that bit over at Toolband about "JESUS LOVES YOU", is that a tongue-in-cheek reference to the April fools joke some years back about Maynard finding God?
good observation.. maybe those words are an anagram.. im too lazy to do it
Old 04-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #5171
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadedX View Post
good observation.. maybe those words are an anagram.. im too lazy to do it
I'm lazy too, and that's what computers are for: http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=jesus+loves+you&t=1000

Doesn't look promising, although I feel like I've seen that random list of meaninglessly combined words somewhere before...
Old 04-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #5172
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by tali View Post
I'm lazy too, and that's what computers are for: http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=jesus+loves+you&t=1000

Doesn't look promising, although I feel like I've seen that random list of meaninglessly combined words somewhere before...
The whole phrase is: "jesus loves you then again he loves everybody". I get "seventeen days" out of that but then I get tired of caring. Maybe something happening in seventeen days? Who knows. Blair will eventually explain himself in a meaningless 8 page newsletter.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #5173
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
The whole phrase is: "jesus loves you then again he loves everybody". I get "seventeen days" out of that but then I get tired of caring. Maybe something happening in seventeen days? Who knows. Blair will eventually explain himself in a meaningless 8 page newsletter.
Maynards birthday is 17 April, but I doubt that's what it's about.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #5174
Level 7 - Loquacious

It can be anything. We just have to be patient...its really sad how they have us wrapped around their fingers...we're at the mercy of their fury!!!!
Old 04-02-2009, 09:12 AM   #5175
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Maynards birthday is 17 April, but I doubt that's what it's about.
Dammit Junior...you know what it's about, something to do with January 17? Is that the seventeen? Ugh, please tell me that that 'thing' is going to happen soon.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #5176
Level 7 - Loquacious

Spam spelled backwards is maps. We need to find those maps. They're probably located somewhere in that vending machine. The maps will have the tour dates plotted on them.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #5177
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunga View Post
Spam spelled backwards is maps. We need to find those maps. They're probably located somewhere in that vending machine. The maps will have the tour dates plotted on them.
Lol! I hate Blair.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #5178
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
Lol! I hate Blair.
I've read that before.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #5179
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

K so Blair says "JESUS LOVES YOU. THEN AGAIN (like the tee-shirt says), HE LOVES EVERYBODY."
The important part is in parentheses. So when he says "like the tee-shirt says" he means it. Go into the tool store and click on t-shirts and it's what the first one says on the back of it: "10,000 Days". So yeah, the new tour (or the second coming) starts in 10,000 days! You heard it here first.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #5180
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Dammit Junior...you know what it's about, something to do with January 17? Is that the seventeen? Ugh, please tell me that that 'thing' is going to happen soon.
Spinal Tap is starting their unplugged tour on April 17, but I don't think that's it, either.
I really thought the January 17 thing was going to finally be revealed yesterday, but they must have run into another hitch.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #5181
Level 7 - Loquacious

A couple days/pages ago on here, people were talking about indoor and outdoor venues. Reminds me of when Tool were at Bonnaroo in '07. I met some people who said they left the show (I'm assuming during 10,000 Days) to ride the ferris wheel, just to see the lasers from up there. While I'm sure it looked mighty neat (as did the whole "town" last year at night when it was a bit cloudy/foggy... to reference musicmansf's Golden Gate Park remark), I just can't imagine LEAVING a Tool show to gain a better view of the lasers. I've said this before to countless folk, but I'll continue to say it... FUCK was that show TIGHT.

Obviously junior would have a more enlightened take on this than the rest of this bunch, but I personally don't see how much of the OVERALL experience could be lost playing at an outdoor venue... at night no less. I suppose considerable chunks of the show would take place during light hours/minutes, mind you. But for what you lose in light, you would absolutely gain in sound. I agree that Red Rocks would be killer, and am jealous of anyone who's seen them there. I've seen other bands at The Gorge, and imagine it would be pretty amazing as well. (On a side note, The Gorge's speakers are slightly shoddy compared to other venues' systems.) I was fortunate enough to see Radiohead at the White River Amphiteatre in Auburn, WA last August, and while I had amazing seats, my other friends who were there weren't so lucky, and said it sounded just fine. Whereas in an arena, in many areas, the sound is pretty ballstatic.

I LOVE the work that's put into the visuals at their shows. Adam does such a good job. And lest we forget, Alex Grey's contributions are more than welcome. And junior, of the countless shows I've experienced, I'd say the lighting work done at a Tool show is unbeatable. Truly. Nevertheless, beyond everything else, it's their MUSIC I want to hear, as loud and clear as possible. It's cool and all that they're making lots of dough (and I am kinda glad they play large venues, thereby increasing the odds of me actually being able to see them, in a sense), but fuck, hockey rinks can be such a shitty place to see a music performance. Here's my vote for them to play more smaller venues, or outdoor venues. Ok, I'm done.

Last edited by WookieeBlaylock; 04-02-2009 at 04:08 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #5182
Level 7 - Loquacious

What the fuck is the thing on the left anyways, a chocolate bird or some shit?
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #5183
Level 7 - Loquacious

Chocolate praying hands. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The idea of a bunch of Tool addicts staring at their monitors to no end, trying to decipher that image, is pretty hilarious.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #5184
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by WookieeBlaylock View Post

The idea of a bunch of Tool addicts staring at their monitors to no end, trying to decipher that image, is pretty hilarious.
Nothing like candyland churches. TM has such a vivid imagination... Like someone said, they have us by the balllllssssssss.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #5185
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860

Do I even want to ask what Tool is doing with my balls?
Old 04-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #5186
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by WookieeBlaylock View Post
...but I personally don't see how much of the OVERALL experience could be lost playing at an outdoor venue... at night no less. I suppose considerable chunks of the show would take place during light hours/minutes, mind you. But for what you lose in light, you would absolutely gain in sound. I agree that Red Rocks would be killer, and am jealous of anyone who's seen them there. I've seen other bands at The Gorge, and imagine it would be pretty amazing as well. (On a side note, The Gorge's speakers are slightly shoddy compared to other venues' systems.) I was fortunate enough to see Radiohead at the White River Amphiteatre in Auburn, WA last August, and while I had amazing seats, my other friends who were there weren't so lucky, and said it sounded just fine. Whereas in an arena, in many areas, the sound is pretty ballstatic.

...but fuck, hockey rinks can be such a shitty place to see a music performance. Here's my vote for them to play more smaller venues, or outdoor venues. Ok, I'm done.
Another outdoor spoiler to consider is weather.
Wind can mess with the sound as much as it messes with video screens and backdrops and smoke. The high frequencies that come out of the sound system can get blown all over the place and make the sound seem intermittent and inconsistent. It'll sound like the highs are coming and going or even whooshing around.
For sound, I think theatres are pretty ideal. I've heard bands sound good in hockey arenas. I know it seems rare, but it can be done. A lot of sound engineers try to make up for the cavernous sound of an arena by simply making it louder. I don't agree with that approach, but what the hell do I know? Outdoor shows have the advantage of less sound pressure on the listener since there is practically infinite space for the sound to travel, but that wind issue can be a real factor.
Temperature can be a factor. Not only can temperature changes make guitars go out of tune, they can also make musicians grouchy. I know that one seems petty, and in reality some musicians couldn't care less about it. I've heard that humidity can affect sound, but that could be said inside or out (maybe even more inside?).

Rain can do a lot to dampen the mood (a pun!). At a show in Hawaii in 2001 a faulty roof caused Adam and his pedalboard to get doused. The wind was also causing havoc with the video screens and there were a number of weather (mostly rain) related issues. I think it was no coincidence that the 2002 shows were almost all indoors.
That said, there was a show (Birmingham, AL - Oak Mountain Amphitheatre) in the fall of 2001 where it rained all day, spirits were down, and the show ended up being amazing. I remember the lights out over the crowd through the rain looked incredible.

As for the Gorge's speakers, are you referring to the main PA by the stage, or the ones out deep in the crowd for the lawn?
In an amphitheatre (Gorge included) the main speakers are almost always brought in by the band playing that night and the lawn speaker system belongs to the venue. There are some rare tours that carry their own lawn speakers, but it is extremely uncommon.
The main speakers at an indoor arena show are also almost always brought in by the band, and usually there are no others in use, unless the band brings in a "delay system" to hang out in the crowd (also rare).
In a theatre it can go either way. Most theatres have their own PA system, but not every band will use it. Usually the in-house "center cluster" (speakers in the middle way up high for the balcony) will be used and the small "under balcony" speakers will be used.
In a club it is almost always the in-house system. Bands on that level rarely carry their own PA, but it does happen.

Last edited by junior; 04-02-2009 at 08:50 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #5187
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post
Do I even want to ask what Tool is doing with my balls?

Quote:

Originally Posted by WookieeBlaylock

Nothing like candyland churches. TM has such a vivid imagination... Like someone said, they have us by the balllllssssssss.

I've been saying it...they are gently grasping our balls and twirling them around like those health metal balls...picture Maynard doing it with a glass of vino in his other hand sitting quietly in his study in Arizona, contemplating what he's gonna do with his future earnings....just picture it
Old 04-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #5188
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Spinal Tap is starting their unplugged tour on April 17, but I don't think that's it, either.
I really thought the January 17 thing was going to finally be revealed yesterday, but they must have run into another hitch.
I'm interpreting here that you know something that we don't!
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #5189
Level 8 - Vociferous

There is a movie called "17 Again" coming out on the 17th. One of the stars is Thomas Lennon from "Reno 911". Kabir was an executive producer of "Reel Comedy: Reno 911! Miami" on Comedy Central. Kabir's Birthday is January 11. Blair's big news was to be on January 17.
Six days of separation!
I'm bored.
This definitely has nothing to do with it. Or anything.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-03-2009, 05:28 AM   #5190
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
I've heard bands sound good in hockey arenas.
Like the one in Croatia that Tool played in 2007?
That place usually sucks soundwise, but after the show you told me it wasn't booming too much.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #5191
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 377

so anybody get there mile high festival tickets today? also i was just wondering to those who have been to that festival how fast tickets sell out or if they even have sold out. i dont get payed tell the 13th so i wont get my tickets till around then.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #5192
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Spinal Tap is starting their unplugged tour on April 17...
Unplugged! Oh no, that's gonna free up those damn amps that go to E-leven.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #5193
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
I'm bored.
Listen to "10,000 Days" again.

Last edited by Maz46&2; 04-03-2009 at 01:45 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #5194
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

^ is it? If i listen to it for a third time, that means i've re-listened to it once already (the 2nd time overall) so the third time I'll be re-listening again. No? Maybe.

Mile Hi tickets went on sale today - I'm tempted to wait on ponying up $90 for the release of the rest of the tour dates to see if I can avoid the festival but still see TOOL somewhere else. WHEN ARE THEY GONNA COME OUT!!!!#%$%@$%$@
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #5195
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

bought tix for mile high music fest today,was going to hold out for the remaining dates,but just couldn't pass up the "confirmed" show.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #5196
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesiod View Post
^ That's redundant.
Indeed. Error corrected.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:56 PM   #5197
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Listen to "10,000 Days" again.
It's been so long since it came out.
I think I made it all the way though once, but I can't remember.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #5198
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Give it another run-through.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #5199
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20

Quote:
Damn, I must've listened to that thing at least a couple hundred times. You need me to quote ya some lyrics? :P
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #5200
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
Damn, I must've listened to that thing at least a couple hundred times. You need me to quote ya some lyrics? :P
I think I've heard (most of) the songs enough times; just not the album versions.
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: