opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #4241
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
The simplest answer would be "smoking bus / non-smoking bus".

The longer answer:
There used to be 1 "band bus" some time ago.
Buses on most major tours are rented or leased, rather than owned by band members.
It then became 2 buses; one non-smoking and one smoking.
Some time after that Maynard chose to purchase his own bus (during the last APC tour, I think).
This left Adam to either ride on the smoking bus or rent his own.
The final decision was to have Danny and Justin together with 4 crew members on a smoking bus , and Adam on a non-smoking bus with 4 crew members.
This eliminated the need for an additional crew bus for those 8 people (there are already 3 of those with approximately 10 people on each).

ahhh makes sense :) we noticed coming off the crew bus a 40ish woman wearing teenage girl clothing with a backstage pass on her shorts.....hmmmmm LOL

Last edited by sinfall; 04-07-2008 at 04:04 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-07-2008, 04:04 PM   #4242
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
The simplest answer would be "smoking bus / non-smoking bus".

The longer answer:
There used to be 1 "band bus" some time ago.
Buses on most major tours are rented or leased, rather than owned by band members.
It then became 2 buses; one non-smoking and one smoking.
Some time after that Maynard chose to purchase his own bus (during the last APC tour, I think)
Plus Maynard has that "sweet" paint job on his.

Junior, you know the deal with that?
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #4243
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post

Paul Frank design
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-08-2008, 12:43 AM   #4244
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 0

Quote:

Actually wasn't a paint job.
It was a decal (or "wrap", as they like to call it) and was only on there during the first half of 2007.
He has a good friend that works for Paul Frank.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-08-2008, 12:47 AM   #4245
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfall View Post
ahhh makes sense :) we noticed coming off the crew bus a 40ish woman wearing teenage girl clothing with a backstage pass on her shorts.....hmmmmm LOL
That sounds like a description of the tour riggers wife (I know, boring answer).
They are from the D.C. area.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-08-2008, 04:27 AM   #4246
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

So who did you roll with, and how were the living conditions?
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-08-2008, 04:45 AM   #4247
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Is anybody planning on going to the MJK wine bottle signing thingy tomorrow?
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-08-2008, 04:48 AM   #4248
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
That sounds like a description of the tour riggers wife (I know, boring answer).
They are from the D.C. area.
ahh i see. not a "boring" answer. :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #4249
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
So who did you roll with, and how were the living conditions?
The conditions are quite nice on any of them.
I probably shouldn't discuss who else was on the bus I was on.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #4250
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Fair enough.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-08-2008, 04:20 PM   #4251
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Hey guys check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOGCDc34m-4... Tmax found this it is pretty cool don't know if any of you guys have seen it... Give it a look
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #4252
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
understandable! so why is it you dedicate so much time to answering our questions?
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #4253
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
understandable! so why is it you dedicate so much time to answering our questions?
With Tool not touring at the moment, I'm bored.
For all the things that are kept secretive, I think there are also a lot of things that might as well (and can) be discussed, so what the hell.

Also, I think that just the nature of how close Tool tends to keep their cards leads to a lot of false rumors and conjecture, so a little openness helps diffuse some of that.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-08-2008, 10:55 PM   #4254
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Hey guys check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOGCDc34m-4... Tmax found this it is pretty cool don't know if any of you guys have seen it... Give it a look
that is pretty cool
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-08-2008, 11:22 PM   #4255
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

i'll bet this has been asked before many times junior so feel free to tell me to fuck off. why the little variation in setlists?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:16 AM   #4256
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinDieselFiesta View Post
i'll bet this has been asked before many times junior so feel free to tell me to fuck off. why the little variation in setlists?
I don't think there was ever any sort of official word on that, but my take is that they felt they had put together a good set of songs and were satisfied with it.
I know that in the past there have been wild variations now and again, and the history of their setlists has been debated to death in these forums, but there has almost always been at least some form of structure to the setlist for at least as long as I've witnessed (which goes back to 1996).
The "10,000 Days" tour did seem to be less flexible than previous tours, and the exact reasoning for this can only be answered inside of a circle that doesn't reach out as far as me.
I would have liked more variety myself (I saw the show around 200 times!), but if that's the show they wanted to present, then I guess that's their prerogative.
I think on past tours that were more varied they were constantly searching for the right formula, and this time around I think they felt they figured it out and stuck with it.
For the arena tour there was a definite conscious effort to have a very specific build to the show as a whole and that included certain ebbs and flows throughout the course. That was decided on as far back as the warm-up tour, so I reckon that's when they started figuring out the correct song order.

As far as repeat customers go, you can't expect it to be like a Grateful Dead tour. If it bothers people that much, don't read reviews ahead of time and don't go to multiple shows. I can guarantee you that the overwhelming majority of attendees that didn't have any prior knowledge enjoyed it much more because of that. I've been on tours with other acts that might as well have had a printed script, but the audience didn't know that because they hadn't read up on it before they went, and they enjoyed the shit out of it.

I know this doesn't necessarily translate directly to a live band, but if someone goes to see a movie or a play twice they don't expect different stuff to happen. I only bring this up because I think Tool are going more for a Pink Floyd style of concert experience where the band themselves are just a part of the show as a whole rather than being a "traditional" rock band on a stage. There's nothing wrong with the traditional setup and it works just fine for a lot of bands, but I think Tool desire to make something more of it.
Sure, this can come off sounding like they are pretty full of themselves, and I'm not saying they think they are Pink Floyd, but Tool has long had the banner of "Art Rock" swirling around them so I wouldn't expect them to follow the accepted rules of band/crowd relationships.

And again in closing, I would have liked to hear some different songs, too.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-09-2008, 08:37 AM   #4257

Bincount™: 2

Have you guys seen a Pink Floyd Animals tour set list? It didn't change either...all of Animals, all of Wish You Were Here, Money & Brain Damage for an encore. When Zep toured Physical Graffiti they didn't change the set list much either, played ~4 songs off their new double album. And for the Presence tour they only played two songs off the album while touring initially. I can't imagine the shit that would fly around here if Tool had just completed the 10,000 Days tour having only played Vicarious and Jambi off the new album.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-09-2008, 09:12 AM   #4258
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by banned View Post
Have you guys seen a Pink Floyd Animals tour set list? It didn't change either...all of Animals, all of Wish You Were Here, Money & Brain Damage for an encore. When Zep toured Physical Graffiti they didn't change the set list much either, played ~4 songs off their new double album. And for the Presence tour they only played two songs off the album while touring initially. I can't imagine the shit that would fly around here if Tool had just completed the 10,000 Days tour having only played Vicarious and Jambi off the new album.
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't complain if they played all of Aenima, all of Lateralus, and Right in Two & The Pot as an encore...
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #4259
blp
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't complain if they played all of Aenima, all of Lateralus, and Right in Two & The Pot as an encore...
This is probably been said 1m times over in the other forums regarding setlists, not exactly what you said, but the general idea about setlists...

I just have one opinion to add to this illustrious thread that I can't live a day without checking in on--even though the setlist isn't what maybe I myself had in mind as being "the ideal" or whatever... this is what Tool thought it should be. Since they wrote the music and present the stage show, I kinda trust them.

It's kind of like a good GM, the fans might think his trade sucked, but he knows deep down it makes the overall product better.

And jwb you post quality posts on here, I'm not bagging on your post one bit, because a setlist as you described above WOULD be a great show, but it wouldn't be much different that just listening to an album with visuals mixed in. What you got during the 10k days tour was a refined, well oiled machine that was in prime operating condition. They put it down, every night. Period. I think we ought to just say thanks.

I played in a band for 5+ years, probably played somewhere in the neighborhood of *shrug* i dunno, like I'm guessing 200-300 shows... and to put out the quality of live performance Tool puts out is very very hard to do. Not only to get up for each night (just ask MJK) but to keep the enthusiasm and to play those songs HARD as the first time they came together.

I was at 3 shows during the 10k days tour and each one was subsequently better than the previous. All were A+ shows btw. Especially the last one in SF--seeing Tool do a cover of a great song like Holiday in Cambodia was freaking awesome. They are still the most powerful sounding band in the world imo, even when covering a punk song. Their sound is so huge...

Anyways... digressing... You get the point I think of what I'm trying to say. I don't post often... but maybe I will start posting more. I dig following these conversations and dig the insight Jr. has been providing us...

So while we're at it... I sure wish they would have found the time to play disposition/reflection/triad after they do Lateralus. I love the way those songs move together... And for my money, Lateralus has got to be the best live song I've ever witnessed... and is probably my favorite song (If I had to pick) ever. It's just a damn perfect song... and the message in the lyrics is beyond words amazing.

Just hope they keep going and we get more shows and more music in the future... I will be drooling in anticipation ever since reading Jr's post about how they want to take the show to the next level... what could that possibly be!?!?!

Last edited by blp; 04-09-2008 at 12:10 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #4260
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

All good, my friend.
Was being more facetious than anything else. Basically, just remarking out of boredom about the Pink Floyd setlists posted previously. I went to a bunch a shows on the last tour and they were all great. The only real complaint I had was the last 2 shows at the Pearl, when I dropped a lot a cash to go out there for their final shows of the tour, and they didn't switch it up a bit. It was still cool, had a great time, met some nice folks.
Just wanted to hear something... different, for once.
Still, would do it all again in a minute. ;)
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #4261
blp
Level 4 - Thinker

For me at the last SF show it was when they played Flood... Had been a while since I'd seen that live. SO great. Man some good times those shows... Wish it was something that could be seen more often, but then I guess it wouldn't be as special.

Hopefully, in about .. 2-3 years we'll get to see it all again.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #4262
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Thanks for that. Very cool. Sent it to a bunch of friends.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-09-2008, 10:33 PM   #4263
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by banned View Post

To be fair about the Zep tour for Presence, they played the two absolutely most badass songs off that album- Achilles Last Stand, which is a 10 minute+ tour de force, and Nobody's Fault But Mine. Now, I am a fan of Presence. It's vastly underrated. And not doing Hots On For Nowhere and Candy Store Rock would have bothered me had I attended that tour. But the latter two songs are a closer comparison to what it would have been like if Tool only played Vicarious and Jambi (actually those are better songs than the either Hots On.. or Candy Store Rock). Achilles Last Stand and Nobody's Fault are more closely compared to Wings 1&2 and Right In Two, if we really have to pull out a Zep comparison.

Just my .02!
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #4264
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

junior, once again you are the man. thanks for sharing the info i really do appreciate it.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:43 AM   #4265
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

So did anyone make it out to MJK's wine bottle signing?
Just wondering if he was in his usual "good" mood around a bunch of tool fans.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-12-2008, 04:06 PM   #4266
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
So did anyone make it out to MJK's wine bottle signing?
Just wondering if he was in his usual "good" mood around a bunch of tool fans.
if we didn't live on the east coast, im sure my wife would had been there.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #4267
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: in the quaalude induced semi-lucid dreams of the mexican staring frog of sri lanka
Bincount™: 80

Probably sucks for Maynard when he tries to go out for a wine promotion and he gets swamped with wacked out 'tardoes aggrivating him about Tool and shit like that, or maybe he went out there knowing full well what he was getting into, which he probably already knew that
Old 04-13-2008, 07:41 AM   #4268
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude420 View Post
Probably sucks for Maynard when he tries to go out for a wine promotion and he gets swamped with wacked out 'tardoes aggrivating him about Tool and shit like that, or maybe he went out there knowing full well what he was getting into, which he probably already knew that
knowing Tool fans would come out and have to buy a $50 bottle of wine in order to meet him and have him sign it. sounds like a pretty profitable experience.

seriously..a wine bottle signing? I like wine, but I don't seek out the owners autograph..
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-13-2008, 07:43 AM   #4269
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Just saw over at AMT.

"...So yeah, Maynard came to the Whole Foods next door to my house to
sign bottles with his business partner. I took one look at the line and
headed home. Rumor has it, and I have no idea if this is true or not,
that he was getting a bit testy with anyone who mentioned Tool or tried
to get him to sign anything besides a bottle."

God bless him...
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #4270
Level 7 - Loquacious

what did he really expect. how many wine makers do bottle signings at grocery stores? on the flip side, you would probably have better luck meeting maynard at a tool concert if you bring one of his bottles to sign
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-13-2008, 09:58 AM   #4271
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
what did he really expect. how many wine makers do bottle signings at grocery stores? on the flip side, you would probably have better luck meeting maynard at a tool concert if you bring one of his bottles to sign
He had know it would be a clusterfuck of tool fans. Why not just embrace it? Personally, I own a couple bottles and it aint because some guy named Eric Glomski helped make it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #4272
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
He had know it would be a clusterfuck of tool fans. Why not just embrace it? Personally, I own a couple bottles and it aint because some guy named Eric Glomski helped make it.
my wife wants some, but they don't ship to Maryland.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #4273
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
my wife wants some, but they don't ship to Maryland.
Same deal with North Carolina.
I ended up trading an extra Vegas ticket last year for a couple bottles with someone. Still haven't tried it yet, but the guy I traded with said it was pretty strong.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-13-2008, 04:17 PM   #4274

just returned from a weekend in the beautiful city of san fran...had lunch at tommy's joint (our preshow hangout) and damn if the memories of december 11th didn't come roarin back to me...i even had the wife walk with me down to the B.G. civic auditorium...what a show it was...what a show it was....may the greatest live band in the world make a quick return with a new cd and another monster tour....see ya there
Old 04-14-2008, 10:54 AM   #4275
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

it looks like maynard will perform at the 5/1 chicago nightwatchman show

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainmen...040808.article
3.1.97 - 7.11.97 - 7.3.98 - 8.15.01 - 11.24.02 - 4.30.06 - 9.7.06 - 9.8.06 - 7.14.07 - 12.10.07 - 12.14.07 - 8.22.09 - 7.18.10 - 7.19.10 - 3.12.14 - 3.16.14 - 10.31.15 - 1.9.16 - 6.17.17 - 10.20.19 - 10.21.19
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-14-2008, 09:45 PM   #4276
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOLEYE View Post
just returned from a weekend in the beautiful city of san fran...had lunch at tommy's joint (our preshow hangout) and damn if the memories of december 11th didn't come roarin back to me...i even had the wife walk with me down to the B.G. civic auditorium...what a show it was...what a show it was....may the greatest live band in the world make a quick return with a new cd and another monster tour....see ya there
Well.. at least there's always Tommy's Joint! You guys do the sausage and peppers, corn beef and cabbage, or turkey dinner specials by any chance? Oh, and of course they have Boddington's on tap... yum!

Edit- dang just re-read and saw you had 'lunch' there. No matter- whaddya have?

/Love me some Tommy's!
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-14-2008, 11:12 PM   #4277
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOLEYE View Post
Your tellin me man! I live here! Everytime I'm around civic center I get the memories! i guess listening to the bootleg from the show constantly doesn't help either :)
(or anytime I think of the last girl I dated; SHE TOLD ME ON THAT DAY that she had too much crap going on in her life to be dating, fucked up eh?)
I still haven't heard a fuck up in any of the songs except a snipet in vicarious. I really wish he'd do the damn ending scream...I know, I know it's ironic, but it definetly takes power away from the song to an extent! The again, I can't imagine what that long of a tour does to the vocals...especially with a bunch of a-holes smoking cigs
Actaully, I just realized I'll be strolling by tomorrow as I have to goto a board of supervisors meeting for my reporting class (Oh joy!)

To crack, and more Grudge next time.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-14-2008, 11:29 PM   #4278
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmansf View Post
Your tellin me man! I live here! Everytime I'm around civic center I get the memories! i guess listening to the bootleg from the show constantly doesn't help either :)
(or anytime I think of the last girl I dated; SHE TOLD ME ON THAT DAY that she had too much crap going on in her life to be dating, fucked up eh?)
I still haven't heard a fuck up in any of the songs except a snipet in vicarious. I really wish he'd do the damn ending scream...I know, I know it's ironic, but it definetly takes power away from the song to an extent! The again, I can't imagine what that long of a tour does to the vocals...especially with a bunch of a-holes smoking cigs
Actaully, I just realized I'll be strolling by tomorrow as I have to goto a board of supervisors meeting for my reporting class (Oh joy!)

To crack, and more Grudge next time.
Hm, well at least you had Tool on the same day she left- I'd take that to soften the blow any day!

We got the closing to Vicarious here at the Nokia show in LA a day before you guys. Not trying to rub it in. In fact, I agree with you. Out of the 12 times I saw this tour, one of the things I usually hoped for during a given show was for him to sing the outro. Getting it the last time I saw them was sweet.
OFFLINE |  
Old 04-15-2008, 12:15 AM   #4279
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

Quote:
Keenan told The Pulse of Radio that he would rather spend time with wine enthusiasts than rock fans. "Generally speaking, the people that are into wine are generally adults and respect people's space, and it's not about the person really who made it, it's about the wine," he said. "So there's definitely a calmer admiration that goes on in those circles."
to be perfectly honest, that's quite naive of mjk.... and as some previous posters have said, only rock stars autograph bottles of wine they make.

maybe mjk's comment was quoted out of context, but the more i think about it, i more i think mjk's comment is just down right immature and unsophisticated. definitely not something a real wine maker would say. grow up!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #4280
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry View Post
to be perfectly honest, that's quite naive of mjk.... and as some previous posters have said, only rock stars autograph bottles of wine they make.

maybe mjk's comment was quoted out of context, but the more i think about it, i more i think mjk's comment is just down right immature and unsophisticated. definitely not something a real wine maker would say. grow up!
I agree. I have endless respect for Maynard as an artist, but I wouldn't be suprised if he was a huge prick if I had the chance to meet him. He has always had a "go f**k yourself" attitude toward the fans, and we love him for it. He's not a "smiley glad hand," he's an artist and what matters most is what he creates.
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: