Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2007
User Name
Password
everlastingpmpkn's Avatar everlastingpmpkn
12-12-2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
What are some good bass parts? Towards the end of the show, I felt I wasn't paying enough attention to Justin, and wanted to look for a good bassy part. But I couldn't think of what part of what song I should look for.
breakdown in Rosetta Stoned is my favorite, visuals were awesome during this part as well
Old 12-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #41
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: Dec 11 San Francisco, CA Bill Graham Civic

Quote:
What are some good bass parts? Towards the end of the show, I felt I wasn't paying enough attention to Justin, and wanted to look for a good bassy part. But I couldn't think of what part of what song I should look for.
breakdown in Rosetta Stoned is my favorite, visuals were awesome during this part as well
OFFLINE |  
wix3l's Avatar wix3l
12-12-2007, 11:32 PM

12/11/07 San Francisco, CA

I have seen Sober, Flood, Stinkfist, H., Forty-six & 2, Ænema, The Grudge, Eon Blue Apocalypse, The Patient, Schism, Parabola, Lateralus, Disposition, Reflection, Triad, Vicarious, Jambi, Wings For Marie, 10,000 Days, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, and Holiday In Cambodia performed live.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:32 PM   #42
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 123

I have seen Sober, Flood, Stinkfist, H., Forty-six & 2, Ænema, The Grudge, Eon Blue Apocalypse, The Patient, Schism, Parabola, Lateralus, Disposition, Reflection, Triad, Vicarious, Jambi, Wings For Marie, 10,000 Days, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned, Right in Two, and Holiday In Cambodia performed live.
OFFLINE |  
nuraman00
12-12-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmansf View Post
Last time I saw 10,000 Days, some idiot got on stage and ruined it for Maynard, so hearing him do it with full passion was so powerful.
Yeah, I was afraid someone was going to do that yesterday, but luckily, everyone was cool. I'm glad we got to hear both parts, it was awesome.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:33 PM   #43
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Last time I saw 10,000 Days, some idiot got on stage and ruined it for Maynard, so hearing him do it with full passion was so powerful.
Yeah, I was afraid someone was going to do that yesterday, but luckily, everyone was cool. I'm glad we got to hear both parts, it was awesome.
OFFLINE |  
sprucemoose3311's Avatar sprucemoose3311
12-12-2007, 11:34 PM

oh i forgot:maynard called the stage hands reject ooompa loompas.

did anyone see the big fat guy jumping around and offering hits from his pot?
i told my friend not to take it, it may give him herpes.

and yes, i sang out of place during stinkfist too... and i even knew the extended version was coming.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:34 PM   #44
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 59

oh i forgot:maynard called the stage hands reject ooompa loompas.

did anyone see the big fat guy jumping around and offering hits from his pot?
i told my friend not to take it, it may give him herpes.

and yes, i sang out of place during stinkfist too... and i even knew the extended version was coming.
12-13-2007, 12:11 AM

So I saw at the snack bar, nachos were $6, but chips were only $2. Does that mean they charge $4 to pour nacho cheese sauce, and add some jalopenos? Lol.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:11 AM   #45
Level 4 - Thinker

So I saw at the snack bar, nachos were $6, but chips were only $2. Does that mean they charge $4 to pour nacho cheese sauce, and add some jalopenos? Lol.
OFFLINE |  
musicmansf
12-13-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Even closer than you think.
Les Claypool was there, and neither he nor Tim knew the other one was going to be there.

Can you imagine Les Claypool jamming to Lateralus??? haha, that'd be literally a mind fuck. I would never function right again (all though I feel that way now...)

BTW, has anyone noticed our reviews for this show are positive and just really "passionate" is I guess the word I'd use. Everyone from the LA show looks like a flame war is going on. It was really weird to be at a Tool show where it felt like a community almost. It wasn't a death and kill everyone mosh pit or seating that makes you feel disconnected from the band, it was literally a concert, and it made them seem like human musicians instead of godly for once :)

Oh, and I never wanted Vicarious to end. I was so busy trying to take it all in for one final time it seemed like it was 30 seconds long.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:19 AM   #46
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Les Claypool was there, and neither he nor Tim knew the other one was going to be there.

Can you imagine Les Claypool jamming to Lateralus??? haha, that'd be literally a mind fuck. I would never function right again (all though I feel that way now...)

BTW, has anyone noticed our reviews for this show are positive and just really "passionate" is I guess the word I'd use. Everyone from the LA show looks like a flame war is going on. It was really weird to be at a Tool show where it felt like a community almost. It wasn't a death and kill everyone mosh pit or seating that makes you feel disconnected from the band, it was literally a concert, and it made them seem like human musicians instead of godly for once :)

Oh, and I never wanted Vicarious to end. I was so busy trying to take it all in for one final time it seemed like it was 30 seconds long.
OFFLINE |  
godhenry
12-13-2007, 12:25 AM

Quote:

the applause and cheering at the end were definitely very powerful and touching.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:25 AM   #47
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

Quote:

the applause and cheering at the end were definitely very powerful and touching.
12-13-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wix3l View Post
if you would, please, that would be just dandy.

thanks!
Old 12-13-2007, 07:54 AM   #48
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wix3l View Post
if you would, please, that would be just dandy.

thanks!
OFFLINE |  
Illuminus's Avatar Illuminus
12-13-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellyson25 View Post
wouldn't that be something to see les claypool and justin doing their own little contest during lateralus
Mr. Claypool can get FUNKAY on a bass, I will never deny that, but Justin would eat him alive when it comes down to melody and beauty. I really believe no one in rock today can match Justin's ability to create pure heaven with a bass guitar. The tone he pulled out of his bass for Flood blew me the fuck away, it sounded just like a regular distorted guitar tone at first.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #49
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellyson25 View Post
wouldn't that be something to see les claypool and justin doing their own little contest during lateralus
Mr. Claypool can get FUNKAY on a bass, I will never deny that, but Justin would eat him alive when it comes down to melody and beauty. I really believe no one in rock today can match Justin's ability to create pure heaven with a bass guitar. The tone he pulled out of his bass for Flood blew me the fuck away, it sounded just like a regular distorted guitar tone at first.
OFFLINE |  
enklined
12-13-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry View Post
that's just so funny!

thank you, junior, for the tidbit. that totally put a smile on my face!!! =)

EDIT: and thank you, junior, for such a great light show. thank you the whole production crew. you guys rock!!!
Ah, I see. Is this THE Junior, which BMB mentions on the main page regarding light control (something like a caption of "Junior at the controls" for a picture)? If so, very cool to see you on this forum - I have MANY questions for you :p

Quote:
Yea, like someone said before, Rosetta has a nice bass part in it...love that part of that song, soooo good.

But my point was that I was able to focus on one instrument at a time, and groove, then step back, and take the band in as a whole. Just fucking incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminus View Post
I really believe no one in rock today can match Justin's ability to create pure heaven with a bass guitar. The tone he pulled out of his bass for Flood blew me the fuck away, it sounded just like a regular distorted guitar tone at first.
Yea man, Justin is the shit. I'm not sure any other bassist could hold a candle to him - the dude is awesome.

Tool is great. This concert was exactly what I needed after the Reno concert earlier this year (see Reno thread for more info).
Money can buy a lot of things...for everything else, there's Tool.

Last edited by enklined; 12-13-2007 at 12:30 PM..
Old 12-13-2007, 12:28 PM   #50
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Quote:
that's just so funny!

thank you, junior, for the tidbit. that totally put a smile on my face!!! =)

EDIT: and thank you, junior, for such a great light show. thank you the whole production crew. you guys rock!!!
Ah, I see. Is this THE Junior, which BMB mentions on the main page regarding light control (something like a caption of "Junior at the controls" for a picture)? If so, very cool to see you on this forum - I have MANY questions for you :p

Quote:
Yea, like someone said before, Rosetta has a nice bass part in it...love that part of that song, soooo good.

But my point was that I was able to focus on one instrument at a time, and groove, then step back, and take the band in as a whole. Just fucking incredible.

Quote:
I really believe no one in rock today can match Justin's ability to create pure heaven with a bass guitar. The tone he pulled out of his bass for Flood blew me the fuck away, it sounded just like a regular distorted guitar tone at first.
Yea man, Justin is the shit. I'm not sure any other bassist could hold a candle to him - the dude is awesome.

Tool is great. This concert was exactly what I needed after the Reno concert earlier this year (see Reno thread for more info).

Last edited by enklined; 12-13-2007 at 12:30 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Illuminus's Avatar Illuminus
12-13-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enklined View Post
That would be him I'm pretty sure... I was gonna go give him props at the Idaho Center show last weekend when I saw his chair labeled "Junior." I didnt though, cuz I assumed I would get security buggin me to get away from the control area. Props Junior! It's rad to have you here posting and giving us insight :]
Old 12-13-2007, 01:03 PM   #51

Quote:
That would be him I'm pretty sure... I was gonna go give him props at the Idaho Center show last weekend when I saw his chair labeled "Junior." I didnt though, cuz I assumed I would get security buggin me to get away from the control area. Props Junior! It's rad to have you here posting and giving us insight :]
OFFLINE |  
loventorture
12-13-2007, 02:25 PM

On the subject of Junior... those lights are freaking amazing. I loved the new hypnotizer lights during the intermission. I especially liked the red light with the spinning white circles. Whenever one of them swept by me I had an instant acid flashback. Let me know if you need to get rid of one of those after the tour is over!

BTW Junior, did Maynard really mean it when he said he would see us again soon? Is that with Tool or Puscifer?
Old 12-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #52
Level 1 - Lurker

On the subject of Junior... those lights are freaking amazing. I loved the new hypnotizer lights during the intermission. I especially liked the red light with the spinning white circles. Whenever one of them swept by me I had an instant acid flashback. Let me know if you need to get rid of one of those after the tour is over!

BTW Junior, did Maynard really mean it when he said he would see us again soon? Is that with Tool or Puscifer?
OFFLINE |  
honky
12-13-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Would anyone else agree that Justin had a Les-eqsue sound/feel goin for the initial part of the jam w/ Tim? I've seen Les around 15 times and TOOL about 8 so I do have a frame of reference in style and tones from these fellows. I didn't say he was ripping him off so save all that horseshit. I thought what he played was completely appropriate. Just wondering if anyone else noticed a little change to accommodate all parties involved.

Aside from all that, I must add myself to the heap of people who felt equally stoked to hear Flood as I was. So, FLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDD!!!!!! fucking killed it. YES. Fucking YES.

For having seen this similar show/set in Oakland twice, San Diego once, New York once, and SF...and despite them all being special in their own way, this one really satisfied me more than the others, I think due to it's unique energy. Energy that you can attempt to describe and fail by explaining how much Maynard spoke to the crowd, or mention the number of guests that came out which clearly proves that they were happy and in good moods, but could only truly be known if you were there contributing to and receiving it. The energy, that is.

Thank you gentlemen! Of course we'd love to see you again, but I couldn't ask for anything more. Peace!
Old 12-13-2007, 03:51 PM   #53

Quote:
Would anyone else agree that Justin had a Les-eqsue sound/feel goin for the initial part of the jam w/ Tim? I've seen Les around 15 times and TOOL about 8 so I do have a frame of reference in style and tones from these fellows. I didn't say he was ripping him off so save all that horseshit. I thought what he played was completely appropriate. Just wondering if anyone else noticed a little change to accommodate all parties involved.

Aside from all that, I must add myself to the heap of people who felt equally stoked to hear Flood as I was. So, FLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDD!!!!!! fucking killed it. YES. Fucking YES.

For having seen this similar show/set in Oakland twice, San Diego once, New York once, and SF...and despite them all being special in their own way, this one really satisfied me more than the others, I think due to it's unique energy. Energy that you can attempt to describe and fail by explaining how much Maynard spoke to the crowd, or mention the number of guests that came out which clearly proves that they were happy and in good moods, but could only truly be known if you were there contributing to and receiving it. The energy, that is.

Thank you gentlemen! Of course we'd love to see you again, but I couldn't ask for anything more. Peace!
OFFLINE |  
wix3l's Avatar wix3l
12-13-2007, 04:21 PM

Old 12-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #54
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 123

OFFLINE |  
Anaguma
12-13-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I don't think trying to compare Les's to Justin's playing is possible- they take pretty different approaches to both their playing style and feel...that's not to say that Justin can't play slap/funk, or that Les couldn't come up with a pretty melodic passage before slamming into some evil-sounding 11/8 line (just listen to "Eleven" off Sailing if you doubt that). They're each strong indivduals who have their own ways of expressing themselves on the bass.

But yeah, having them both on stage at once would be a damn fine sight to see.

As for Justin on Flood, i hadn't seen Flood live, i think, since Paul was in the band. And while Paul set the watermark, Justin frikkin' owned that song Tuesday. He played the bass on that song the way it needs to be....mean. As in "i just clobbered you on the side of your head with a brick and now i'm going to cut all your digits off with gardening shears" mean.

And yes, i'm a bass player too. Can you tell? ;)
Old 12-13-2007, 04:31 PM   #55
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
I don't think trying to compare Les's to Justin's playing is possible- they take pretty different approaches to both their playing style and feel...that's not to say that Justin can't play slap/funk, or that Les couldn't come up with a pretty melodic passage before slamming into some evil-sounding 11/8 line (just listen to "Eleven" off Sailing if you doubt that). They're each strong indivduals who have their own ways of expressing themselves on the bass.

As for Justin on Flood, i hadn't seen Flood live, i think, since Paul was in the band. And while Paul set the watermark, Justin frikkin' owned that song Tuesday. He played the bass on that song the way it needs to be....mean. As in "i just clobbered you on the side of your head with a brick and now i'm going to cut all your digits off with gardening shears" mean.

OFFLINE |  
kr580
12-13-2007, 04:58 PM

Does anyone know where I can find a show poster from this show? By the time I got to the souvenir booth they were all sold out and just had the signed copies left. I would love you forever if you have an extra one or know where I can find one. :D

Here's some pics from my junky camera phone. :) I was about 15 feet from dead center on the balcony, about 7 rows back.

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/9361/photo0137ko0.jpg
(The last 2 sections of the balcony on either side were taped off but they were filled before long)
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5122/photo0136un7.jpg
(Waiting for Tool.)

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1...oto0140jo2.jpg
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/2...oto0141cz2.jpg
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/8...oto0142re9.jpg
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/155/photo0143vz8.jpg
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/6...oto0144eo0.jpg
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2...oto0145mc5.jpg

Last edited by kr580; 12-13-2007 at 05:01 PM..
Old 12-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #56
Level 3 - Talker

Does anyone know where I can find a show poster from this show? By the time I got to the souvenir booth they were all sold out and just had the signed copies left. I would love you forever if you have an extra one or know where I can find one. :D

Here's some pics from my junky camera phone. :) I was about 15 feet from dead center on the balcony, about 7 rows back.

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/9361/photo0137ko0.jpg
(The last 2 sections of the balcony on either side were taped off but they were filled before long)
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5122/photo0136un7.jpg
(Waiting for Tool.)

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1...oto0140jo2.jpg
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/2...oto0141cz2.jpg
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/8...oto0142re9.jpg
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/155/photo0143vz8.jpg
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/6...oto0144eo0.jpg
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2...oto0145mc5.jpg

Last edited by kr580; 12-13-2007 at 05:01 PM..
OFFLINE |  
godhenry
12-13-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
printmafia.net
Old 12-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #57
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
printmafia.net
12-13-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Thank you. Do you know if these are the ones sold at the show or reprints? Sorry for being a noob. :(
Old 12-13-2007, 05:34 PM   #58
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Thank you. Do you know if these are the ones sold at the show or reprints? Sorry for being a noob. :(
OFFLINE |  
godhenry
12-13-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Thank you. Do you know if these are the ones sold at the show or reprints?
printmafia produced/designed the posters as they do with posters of most of the shows on this tour. So these are OEM and not aftermarket posters, if that's what you mean.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:42 PM   #59
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Thank you. Do you know if these are the ones sold at the show or reprints?
printmafia produced/designed the posters as they do with posters of most of the shows on this tour. So these are OEM and not aftermarket posters, if that's what you mean.
12-13-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Oh, sweet. I just read the 'About' page.

Thank you very much sir!
Old 12-13-2007, 05:47 PM   #60
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Oh, sweet. I just read the 'About' page.

Thank you very much sir!
OFFLINE |  
musicmansf
12-13-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaguma View Post

Indeed, Les and Justin both are fucking awesome bass players, and I try to incorporate both thier styles into mine, but Les I think would smoke Justin off the stage ;) While I like Justin's raw fucking ownage better, Les is so talented Metallica told him he was too good when he originally tried out( why not, Metallica is just open E's...) I find some of Primus too hard to listen to sometimes...And yes, everytime I play around with a distortion the first thing I play is Flood haha, it sounds fat as shit on that Wal too!

Anyone see anyone taping during the show? I'm dying to see what it looked like from above :)
Old 12-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #61
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

Indeed, Les and Justin both are fucking awesome bass players, and I try to incorporate both thier styles into mine, but Les I think would smoke Justin off the stage ;) While I like Justin's raw fucking ownage better, Les is so talented Metallica told him he was too good when he originally tried out( why not, Metallica is just open E's...) I find some of Primus too hard to listen to sometimes...And yes, everytime I play around with a distortion the first thing I play is Flood haha, it sounds fat as shit on that Wal too!

Anyone see anyone taping during the show? I'm dying to see what it looked like from above :)
OFFLINE |  
everlastingpmpkn's Avatar everlastingpmpkn
12-13-2007, 07:45 PM

i am not a big fan of comparing musicians in a way of "guy A is better than guy B". i don't see music as a competition, but as something abstract, something to be contributed to by artists, for everyone's added benefit and enjoyment. does that make sense? i guess in a way its like academia, i guess there's a certain amount of competition between scholars, but in the end, everyone feeds off another's work and the entire community at large is benefited by an individual's contribution.

not sure, why im getting into this so much but if i, as a bass player, DID have to compare les claypool to anyone it would be flea. both are amazing, and flea himself can write some pretty damn good melodies in addition to slapping like a mofo. i am having trouble thinking of anyone with a similar style as justin though..
Old 12-13-2007, 07:45 PM   #62
Level 4 - Thinker

i am not a big fan of comparing musicians in a way of "guy A is better than guy B". i don't see music as a competition, but as something abstract, something to be contributed to by artists, for everyone's added benefit and enjoyment. does that make sense? i guess in a way its like academia, i guess there's a certain amount of competition between scholars, but in the end, everyone feeds off another's work and the entire community at large is benefited by an individual's contribution.

not sure, why im getting into this so much but if i, as a bass player, DID have to compare les claypool to anyone it would be flea. both are amazing, and flea himself can write some pretty damn good melodies in addition to slapping like a mofo. i am having trouble thinking of anyone with a similar style as justin though..
OFFLINE |  
just1more
12-13-2007, 08:52 PM

Everything I could say about this show has been said already. My 3rd and they just keep getting better!
It's the non-fans I want to bitch about for a moment; At every show I've been plagued by some (usually drunk) idiot who has to run his mouth and pretend he's some kind of music critic. Such as the drunkard behind me who started yelling 'play some f*ckin music!' just as the band was getting into Wings For Marie. Gawd I hate people sometimes. Well, I guess there always has to be a neanderthal or two to reinforce my misanthropic tendencies.
In my heaven Tool will play for me alone. Ok, and maybe a few others who can pass a true-fan test or something.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:52 PM   #63
Level 1 - Lurker

Everything I could say about this show has been said already. My 3rd and they just keep getting better!
It's the non-fans I want to bitch about for a moment; At every show I've been plagued by some (usually drunk) idiot who has to run his mouth and pretend he's some kind of music critic. Such as the drunkard behind me who started yelling 'play some f*ckin music!' just as the band was getting into Wings For Marie. Gawd I hate people sometimes. Well, I guess there always has to be a neanderthal or two to reinforce my misanthropic tendencies.
In my heaven Tool will play for me alone. Ok, and maybe a few others who can pass a true-fan test or something.
OFFLINE |  
badisposition
12-13-2007, 11:32 PM

[ Gawd I hate people sometimes. Well, I guess there always has to be a neanderthal or two to reinforce my misanthropic tendencies.
In my heaven Tool will play for me alone. Ok, and maybe a few others who can pass a true-fan test or something.[/QUOTE]

I agree, im long time reader of these reviews but even longer time fan of TOOL (berkeley square ) '93 Some people would rather pay to hear themselves talk than to hear and connect with music in a deep meaningful way, like the idiots sitting above me , never shut up the whole show and im just " Tired of waiting............head"
Thanks Tool for alllllll the great music and poweful performances.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:32 PM   #64
Level 4 - Thinker

[ Gawd I hate people sometimes. Well, I guess there always has to be a neanderthal or two to reinforce my misanthropic tendencies.
In my heaven Tool will play for me alone. Ok, and maybe a few others who can pass a true-fan test or something.[/QUOTE]

I agree, im long time reader of these reviews but even longer time fan of TOOL (berkeley square ) '93 Some people would rather pay to hear themselves talk than to hear and connect with music in a deep meaningful way, like the idiots sitting above me , never shut up the whole show and im just " Tired of waiting............head"
Thanks Tool for alllllll the great music and poweful performances.
OFFLINE |  
EastBayJ1972's Avatar EastBayJ1972
12-14-2007, 12:12 AM

its seems like alot of people don't even realize how lucky we were to see Holiday in Cambodia performed,..let alone with Jello Biafra,..we were truly blessed
10,000 Days:4/30/06--5/4/06--9/3/06--12/11/07--7/13/10
Opiate Anniversary/ Pre-new album: 3/11/14--3/12/14
TOOL/Primus tour(minus Primus): 1/6/16
Old 12-14-2007, 12:12 AM   #65
Level 7 - Loquacious

its seems like alot of people don't even realize how lucky we were to see Holiday in Cambodia performed,..let alone with Jello Biafra,..we were truly blessed
10,000 Days:4/30/06--5/4/06--9/3/06--12/11/07--7/13/10
Opiate Anniversary/ Pre-new album: 3/11/14--3/12/14
TOOL/Primus tour(minus Primus): 1/6/16
OFFLINE |  
nuraman00
12-14-2007, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlastingpmpkn View Post
Good post, agree.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:20 AM   #66
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlastingpmpkn View Post
Good post, agree.
OFFLINE |  
nuraman00
12-14-2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honky View Post

Agree about Flood. I had sent an email to a friend, Monday night, saying I hoped to hear something special from Undertow, just to hear what a song from that album would sound like live. Yeah I had heard "Sober" in Oakland, 2006, but I was hoping for something in addition, or different, this time.

And then they actually did it, and played Flood! Wow.

Me personally, though, that was the only song that I was a little disappointed with Maynard's vocals, they didn't sound as good. I was pleased with the way they sounded on all the other songs.

But it didn't matter, I still enjoyed Flood.

And even though honky was comparing this Tool show with others on this tour, I agree with honky in the sense that this concert satisfied me more than other concerts, in general (comparing with other bands), because everything was done at such a high level, from start to finish. And how it had a special energy.

To me, I don't know if there was a highlight, but rather everything was "one long ride". Ok, maybe Wings/10,000 days was a highlight, if anything was. Lol.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:29 AM   #67
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by honky View Post

Agree about Flood. I had sent an email to a friend, Monday night, saying I hoped to hear something special from Undertow, just to hear what a song from that album would sound like live. Yeah I had heard "Sober" in Oakland, 2006, but I was hoping for something in addition, or different, this time.

And then they actually did it, and played Flood! Wow.

Me personally, though, that was the only song that I was a little disappointed with Maynard's vocals, they didn't sound as good. I was pleased with the way they sounded on all the other songs.

But it didn't matter, I still enjoyed Flood.

And even though honky was comparing this Tool show with others on this tour, I agree with honky in the sense that this concert satisfied me more than other concerts, in general (comparing with other bands), because everything was done at such a high level, from start to finish. And how it had a special energy.

To me, I don't know if there was a highlight, but rather everything was "one long ride". Ok, maybe Wings/10,000 days was a highlight, if anything was. Lol.
OFFLINE |  
Anaguma
12-14-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Good post, agree.
Aye. That was the point i was trying to make with my previous post. And i bet if we got Les and Justin in the same room, and asked them who they thought was the "better" bass player, they'd point at each other.

Then they'd prolly bonk us on the head for asking such a dumb question. ;)

The more i think about it, the more i'm curious as to why Tool is so locked in to one setlist night after night. It doesn't make sense to me- i read an article that the backing screens can be programmed for different sequences. And i know for a fact that it's easy as hell to change the sequence of lighting programs (you can even save settings for a sound board, dump them on to a USB drive, take it to a different country, and upload your settings there). So why is Tool sticking with the same songs over and over?

We know Tool isn't stupid, and that there's a point to everything (even when they're not serious). I wonder, then, if this setlist has been specifically constructed to get across a common theme, message, or emotional response. I'd have to sit down and really study the songs in-depth, but, with the intermission, didn't the show kinda feel like there was an Act I and Act II to the proceedings?

That's one theory. The other is that they're just a bunch of lazy bastards. ;)
Old 12-14-2007, 03:29 PM   #68
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Good post, agree.
Aye. That was the point i was trying to make with my previous post. And i bet if we got Les and Justin in the same room, and asked them who they thought was the "better" bass player, they'd point at each other.

Then they'd prolly bonk us on the head for asking such a dumb question. ;)

The more i think about it, the more i'm curious as to why Tool is so locked in to one setlist night after night. It doesn't make sense to me- i read an article that the backing screens can be programmed for different sequences. And i know for a fact that it's easy as hell to change the sequence of lighting programs (you can even save settings for a sound board, dump them on to a USB drive, take it to a different country, and upload your settings there). So why is Tool sticking with the same songs over and over?

We know Tool isn't stupid, and that there's a point to everything (even when they're not serious). I wonder, then, if this setlist has been specifically constructed to get across a common theme, message, or emotional response. I'd have to sit down and really study the songs in-depth, but, with the intermission, didn't the show kinda feel like there was an Act I and Act II to the proceedings?

That's one theory. The other is that they're just a bunch of lazy bastards. ;)
OFFLINE |  
UselessPeace
12-14-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
And i bet if we got Les and Justin in the same room, and asked them who they thought was the "better" bass player, they'd point at each other.
As would most self-respecting musician. You'd have to be a pretty big dick to point to yourself.

Minus the low levels of the vocals on some songs, the show was phenomenal. Energy was peaked, there were tight as I've seen them on this tour and it was just fantastic to see them again.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:10 PM   #69
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
And i bet if we got Les and Justin in the same room, and asked them who they thought was the "better" bass player, they'd point at each other.
As would most self-respecting musician. You'd have to be a pretty big dick to point to yourself.

Minus the low levels of the vocals on some songs, the show was phenomenal. Energy was peaked, there were tight as I've seen them on this tour and it was just fantastic to see them again.
OFFLINE |  
temporary sanity
12-14-2007, 11:05 PM

Wow still reeling from the show.It was my 3rd this tour and was the best.TooL was great and the venue was really cool,but what really made the show was just the great vibe of the crowd.It seemed like everyone was pretty considerate of others and in a great mood.Even the mini party in the parking garage after the show in the 3rd level down was fun even though I didn't bother starting my ride till well over an hour after the show.We weren't going anywhere for a while!
Getting in and out of S.F. was kinda a pain in the ass,but soo worth it!
I brought a Tool virgin with me and he just can't shutup about the band and the show :-) Its good to see a new true fan! Dude even bought me a tee shirt.Got home around 3 am and had to be at work at 7.I was late but fuck it it was worth it.
Heres some pics of the night from my phone cam. S.F. city hall was a trip cool building with all the lights and the xmas tree.It was kinda surreal.
http://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?i...071901ali5.jpg
http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?i...072006ali2.jpg
http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?i...072208aeu1.jpg
http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?i...072208bug6.jpg
http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?im...072209adu0.jpg
http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?im...072209bnr0.jpg
http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?i...072210abm9.jpg
http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?i...072221agw1.jpg
http://img170.imageshack.us/my.php?i...072226awu8.jpg
http://img166.imageshack.us/my.php?i...072226baz1.jpg
http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?i...072227bhn5.jpg
http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?i...072308azh2.jpg
http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?i...072323aym7.jpg
If pic links are broke let me know and I'll up them elsewhere.
Cheers all it was a Blast! Spiral Out!

Last edited by temporary sanity; 12-15-2007 at 01:37 PM..
Old 12-14-2007, 11:05 PM   #70
Level 4 - Thinker

Wow still reeling from the show.It was my 3rd this tour and was the best.TooL was great and the venue was really cool,but what really made the show was just the great vibe of the crowd.It seemed like everyone was pretty considerate of others and in a great mood.Even the mini party in the parking garage after the show in the 3rd level down was fun even though I didn't bother starting my ride till well over an hour after the show.We weren't going anywhere for a while!
Getting in and out of S.F. was kinda a pain in the ass,but soo worth it!
I brought a Tool virgin with me and he just can't shutup about the band and the show :-) Its good to see a new true fan! Dude even bought me a tee shirt.Got home around 3 am and had to be at work at 7.I was late but fuck it it was worth it.
Heres some pics of the night from my phone cam. S.F. city hall was a trip cool building with all the lights and the xmas tree.It was kinda surreal.
http://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?i...071901ali5.jpg
http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?i...072006ali2.jpg
http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?i...072208aeu1.jpg
http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?i...072208bug6.jpg
http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?im...072209adu0.jpg
http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?im...072209bnr0.jpg
http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?i...072210abm9.jpg
http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?i...072221agw1.jpg
http://img170.imageshack.us/my.php?i...072226awu8.jpg
http://img166.imageshack.us/my.php?i...072226baz1.jpg
http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?i...072227bhn5.jpg
http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?i...072308azh2.jpg
http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?i...072323aym7.jpg
If pic links are broke let me know and I'll up them elsewhere.
Cheers all it was a Blast! Spiral Out!

Last edited by temporary sanity; 12-15-2007 at 01:37 PM..
OFFLINE |  
banned's Avatar banned
12-15-2007, 12:23 PM

This pic captures those green sheets of laser with the smoke through them. Loved that effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiconoclast View Post
It appears I sat to the right of KR580, in the second row. This guy in between us in the front row of that section kept getting pissed at people walking by and stopping to view the show.
Great visuals during Vicarious when we got the giant web of green lasers and you couldn't see the stage anymore.
This pic is pretty close to that...
Quote:
except those lasers above probably come down to fully block view of stage and floor. That was really cool to see the vast space covered. Awesome effects.

Great view of Danny. Really got to see how hard he hits. I got two words for you though....Baron Davis ;)
And Maynard was more relaxed than I've ever seen.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #71

Bincount™: 2

This pic captures those green sheets of laser with the smoke through them. Loved that effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiconoclast View Post
It appears I sat to the right of KR580, in the second row. This guy in between us in the front row of that section kept getting pissed at people walking by and stopping to view the show.
Great visuals during Vicarious when we got the giant web of green lasers and you couldn't see the stage anymore.
This pic is pretty close to that...
Quote:
except those lasers above probably come down to fully block view of stage and floor. That was really cool to see the vast space covered. Awesome effects.

Great view of Danny. Really got to see how hard he hits. I got two words for you though....Baron Davis ;)
And Maynard was more relaxed than I've ever seen.
OFFLINE |  
gnjasmkr's Avatar gnjasmkr
12-16-2007, 05:59 PM

JELLO FUCKING BIAFRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now head back home and get ready for VEGAS!!!
8/13-14/01... 11/01/01 11/24/02... 4/30/06 5/5/06/ 9/7-8/06 4/27/07 4/28/07 5/02-03/07 12/10/07 12/11/07 12/13/07 12/14/07... 7/21/09 8/08/09 8/22/09... 6/28/10 6/29/10 7/12/10 7/15/10 7/16/10 7/18/10 07/19/10... 1/14/11... 1/14/12 1/15/12 1/17/12 1/18/12 1/20-21/12 2/8/12...
Old 12-16-2007, 05:59 PM   #72
Level 4 - Thinker

JELLO FUCKING BIAFRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now head back home and get ready for VEGAS!!!
8/13-14/01... 11/01/01 11/24/02... 4/30/06 5/5/06/ 9/7-8/06 4/27/07 4/28/07 5/02-03/07 12/10/07 12/11/07 12/13/07 12/14/07... 7/21/09 8/08/09 8/22/09... 6/28/10 6/29/10 7/12/10 7/15/10 7/16/10 7/18/10 07/19/10... 1/14/11... 1/14/12 1/15/12 1/17/12 1/18/12 1/20-21/12 2/8/12...
OFFLINE |  
enklined
12-17-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Just bought a poster from this site - $80.

How much were these at the venue? I didn't get a chance to look... Hopefully not much less, if at all.

Quote:
Does anyone know where I can find a show poster from this show? By the time I got to the souvenir booth they were all sold out and just had the signed copies left.
How much were the autographed copies? If they were anywhere close to $80 that i just paid for a non-autographed poster, I'm not going to be happy :p

Wish I had gotten to the venue a bit earlier to grab a signed copy, if it wasn't too expensive. Would have been cool to get one that had additional work done by Adam, too.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:31 PM   #73
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

How much were these at the venue? I didn't get a chance to look... Hopefully not much less, if at all.

Quote:
Does anyone know where I can find a show poster from this show? By the time I got to the souvenir booth they were all sold out and just had the signed copies left.
How much were the autographed copies? If they were anywhere close to $80 that i just paid for a non-autographed poster, I'm not going to be happy :p

Wish I had gotten to the venue a bit earlier to grab a signed copy, if it wasn't too expensive. Would have been cool to get one that had additional work done by Adam, too.
OFFLINE |  
gnjasmkr's Avatar gnjasmkr
12-17-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:

I know the unsigned posters were $20 and the autographed ones were $100 i've also been seeing that some were $500 but not too sure if these were the ones with A D A M s artwork on them.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:07 PM   #74
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

I know the unsigned posters were $20 and the autographed ones were $100 i've also been seeing that some were $500 but not too sure if these were the ones with A D A M s artwork on them.
OFFLINE |  
jdowney
12-17-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:

Unsiged = $20
signed = $100
Adam Art work = $1000

Getting there earlier worked against you for the signed ones or the custom art work because they did not have them for awhile. I heard the $20 posters sold out fast, i went down during the intermission and they had the signed ones and custom artwork ones. i was debating spending the $400 for the sutom artwork then i saw they had them for $1000.

the one thing about the printmafia.net one says they are limited and signed which the $20 ones are not. so i dont know if they are signed by the band or the poster artist.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:38 PM   #75
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

Unsiged = $20
signed = $100
Adam Art work = $1000

Getting there earlier worked against you for the signed ones or the custom art work because they did not have them for awhile. I heard the $20 posters sold out fast, i went down during the intermission and they had the signed ones and custom artwork ones. i was debating spending the $400 for the sutom artwork then i saw they had them for $1000.

the one thing about the printmafia.net one says they are limited and signed which the $20 ones are not. so i dont know if they are signed by the band or the poster artist.
OFFLINE |  
banned's Avatar banned
12-17-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdowney View Post
Unsiged = $20
signed = $100
Adam Art work = $1000

The SF posters purchased from Print Mafia site are signed and numbered by the poster artist, not the band.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdowney View Post
Unsiged = $20
signed = $100
Adam Art work = $1000

The SF posters purchased from Print Mafia site are signed and numbered by the poster artist, not the band.
OFFLINE |  
godhenry
12-18-2007, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banned View Post
so wait... they are asking for $80 because the artist signed it? i don't mean any disrespect to the artist, and i'm sure his/her art is worth it on some level, but if i wouldn't buy the poster for $100 when it was signed by the band, why would i spend $80 to buy a poster that was signed by an artist whose work i'm not entirely familiar with? i want to buy the poster strictly for its sentimental value, but the $80 asking price is kinda steep especially in light of the fact that the vegas posters only cost you $35 each. what's going on here?
Old 12-18-2007, 03:02 AM   #77
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by banned View Post
so wait... they are asking for $80 because the artist signed it? i don't mean any disrespect to the artist, and i'm sure his/her art is worth it on some level, but if i wouldn't buy the poster for $100 when it was signed by the band, why would i spend $80 to buy a poster that was signed by an artist whose work i'm not entirely familiar with? i want to buy the poster strictly for its sentimental value, but the $80 asking price is kinda steep especially in light of the fact that the vegas posters only cost you $35 each. what's going on here?
12-18-2007, 07:48 AM

nt

Last edited by MFF0RD6; 12-18-2007 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: wasn't at the show
Old 12-18-2007, 07:48 AM   #78
Level 7 - Loquacious

nt

nt

Last edited by MFF0RD6; 12-18-2007 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: wasn't at the show
OFFLINE |  
enklined
12-18-2007, 08:21 AM

$100 for band autographed posters? Wow did I ever fuck myself...

Well, printmafia can have my $80 I guess - The concert was awesome...
Old 12-18-2007, 08:21 AM   #79
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

OFFLINE |  
banned's Avatar banned
12-18-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:

You can email them and ask for a refund.
The worst they can do is say no.
Just be honest and tell them what you thought 'signed' meant. Especially in light of the fact that there were different 'signed' copies at the show.

In hindsight I wish I had thrown down on the $100 band signed SF poster.
Why is the artist signed SF posters more expensive than the Vegas shows.....Jello appearance, different set list? Any excuse to shake ya down...
Old 12-18-2007, 08:28 AM   #80

Quote:

You can email them and ask for a refund.
The worst they can do is say no.
Just be honest and tell them what you thought 'signed' meant. Especially in light of the fact that there were different 'signed' copies at the show.

In hindsight I wish I had thrown down on the $100 band signed SF poster.
Why is the artist signed SF posters more expensive than the Vegas shows.....Jello appearance, different set list? Any excuse to shake ya down...
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply