opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Undertow
User Name
Password
Old 12-05-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1
Weird for Justin?

You'd think that Justin would feel strange playing Sober and Swamp Song or anything else from Opiate and Undertow.
I mean, it would be like...give your girlfriend a massage using the technique of her ex boyfriend...

That is if Tool was a girlfriend, and Paul was Tool's Ex boyfriend.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:18 AM   #2
Flying in the wind (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 1282
Re: Weird for Justin?

I don't think so.
It is pretty much his job.

TDN is for entertainment purposes ONLY.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:05 PM   #3
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

I doubt that Paul taught it to him exactly how he plays it, and I really really doubt that he even plays it that way. I'm sure he adds his own touch or plays it his own way.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:08 PM   #4
On Probation

Bincount™: 191

"if its not paul. its not right...." ;) lol
Old 03-28-2007, 08:09 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

I hope your seriously laughing at that quote because you cannot compare justin to paul. Justin is awesome and paul is so-so.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:18 AM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13

yea, i think he'd probably feel alil weird playing those songs BUT, it was Paul's choice to leave.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
Banned.

Bincount™: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomisatool View Post
You'd think that Justin would feel strange playing Sober and Swamp Song or anything else from Opiate and Undertow.
I mean, it would be like...give your girlfriend a massage using the technique of her ex boyfriend...

shit.. you know how many drummers Pearl Jam has had?
Old 08-21-2007, 05:09 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

I highly doubt that Justin plays it the same as Paul did. They each play with different styles. Even if they did play it with the same notes, it would still sound different from Justin to Paul.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:38 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Guys, to be honest there is no point discussing this subject. Firstly it aint right for Paul, for a simple reason that he was a part of Tool (and everything that it might mean and express) even up to almost the whole Aenima album, even though the bass on aenima is played by Justin. i met Tool 10 years ago with the Stinkfist and eventually the rest of this masterpiece, cos aenima is generally one big piece and I, just like everybody fell in love with them like most of Tools fans. i didnt even know that Justin was a "freshman" (with Tool) from 96. No doubt, Justin is an awesome bass player, perfectly suited for Tool. and to my disappointment THE MOST ACTIVE and EAGER MEMBER OF TOOL NOWDAYS!!! ive been on a few recent Tool shows and seen dozens of Tools shows on DVD, i think everybody will agree that Justin is the only one today who enjoys playing Live E V E R Y T I M E!!! Carey is amazing but for the reason that he HAS TO BE amazing, the whole structure of Tool's music depends on his playing. Adam is steady, at least tries to be. Maynard has to be "turned on" in order to be his old self on stage, on the other hand i dont blame him cos i dnt think anybody on earth could stand performing Sober, Eulogy and other really difficult and complex songs almost everyday or day by day on their world tours. WE ALL LOVE JUSTIN!!!! BUTTTTTTT, he wouldnt play like that if it hadnt been for Paul. Justin was influnced very deeply by Pauls playing and his dark bass feel, and eventually developed it into his own thing, even though he has a totally different style and techniques. And it is no secret that Justin admits that himself in his interviews. i didnt understand what he meant untill i saw a few Tool's Live performances from 92, 93, 94, 95. WOWWWW!!! i never expected Paul to play such amazing stuff, especially on Undertow. im a bass player myself and i was in shock when i saw him playing live with Tool in 93' (Reading Festival). i was like, wooooooooow!!! so please, please, dont compare pork chops to pork beef, i hope u know what i mean....
Old 09-19-2007, 10:56 AM   #10
meh.

Bincount™: 1074

Quote:
Or half of Aenima, for that matter. Paul has writing credits on Stinkfist, Eulogy, Pushit, Aenema, and Third Eye.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:29 AM   #11
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Brightwell View Post
Or half of Aenima, for that matter. Paul has writing credits on Stinkfist, Eulogy, Pushit, Aenema, and Third Eye.
I thought Justin wrote Third Eye, not Paul.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:05 AM   #12
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

puhleez

justin must feel psyched to play undertow. he's just sad he didn't get to record it...
Old 07-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeiranVaun View Post
shit.. you know how many drummers Pearl Jam has had?
yea but thats peral jam, not tool
Old 02-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

its not weird for him at all.. because he does probably play it completely different because the rest of the band plays their old songs differently.. maynard cant sing like he used too adam adds little guitar tricks he has learned and danny gets bored and starts improving.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
Banned.

Bincount™: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelectron View Post
Guys, to be honest there is no point discussing this subject. Firstly it aint right for Paul, for a simple reason that he was a part of Tool (and everything that it might mean and express) even up to almost the whole Aenima album, even though the bass on aenima is played by Justin. i met Tool 10 years ago with the Stinkfist and eventually the rest of this masterpiece, cos aenima is generally one big piece and I, just like everybody fell in love with them like most of Tools fans. i didnt even know that Justin was a "freshman" (with Tool) from 96. No doubt, Justin is an awesome bass player, perfectly suited for Tool. and to my disappointment THE MOST ACTIVE and EAGER MEMBER OF TOOL NOWDAYS!!! ive been on a few recent Tool shows and seen dozens of Tools shows on DVD, i think everybody will agree that Justin is the only one today who enjoys playing Live E V E R Y T I M E!!! Carey is amazing but for the reason that he HAS TO BE amazing, the whole structure of Tool's music depends on his playing. Adam is steady, at least tries to be. Maynard has to be "turned on" in order to be his old self on stage, on the other hand i dont blame him cos i dnt think anybody on earth could stand performing Sober, Eulogy and other really difficult and complex songs almost everyday or day by day on their world tours. WE ALL LOVE JUSTIN!!!! BUTTTTTTT, he wouldnt play like that if it hadnt been for Paul. Justin was influnced very deeply by Pauls playing and his dark bass feel, and eventually developed it into his own thing, even though he has a totally different style and techniques. And it is no secret that Justin admits that himself in his interviews. i didnt understand what he meant untill i saw a few Tool's Live performances from 92, 93, 94, 95. WOWWWW!!! i never expected Paul to play such amazing stuff, especially on Undertow. im a bass player myself and i was in shock when i saw him playing live with Tool in 93' (Reading Festival). i was like, wooooooooow!!! so please, please, dont compare pork chops to pork beef, i hope u know what i mean....

no point in discussing? sheesh! <wipes forehead>
Old 04-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #16

Bincount™: 2

actually I read in an old article that Justin already knew how to play all of Tools songs before he even joined the band! He also cited Tool as his biggest influence when he was with Peach. Talk about dedication.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #17
On Probation

Bincount™: 232

Quote:

You don't get out much, do you?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #18
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

responding to a post from 5 years ago, you dont forum much do you?

i bet justin thanks paul for moving on, and sober is better live with justin.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #19
The Lube

Bincount™: 5355

They kicked paul out guys. This has already been confirmed...
Old 12-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62827 View Post
actually I read in an old article that Justin already knew how to play all of Tools songs before he even joined the band! He also cited Tool as his biggest influence when he was with Peach. Talk about dedication.
Theres a video on youtube of Peach's version of You Lied where Justin, before joining Tool, was wearing a Tool shirt in the picture of the band that was showing during the song. I bet when he joined Tool he was the happiest man alive.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #21

Bincount™: 2

Yeah I saw him wearing that Tool shirt, he admitted in early videos that Tool was all what he listened to at one point, along with classical music. No wonder he can take the raw energy of early Tool and infuse his melodic capabilities from classic orchestrated masterpieces to create the ultimatum of sound that is Tool.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: