opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-27-2006, 11:36 AM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/26 - Pittsburgh, PA - Petersen Events Center

All i have to say is AMAZING...I love TOOl ..and however i can see them live is always awesome to me. I do have to say..it was a tad bit loud...but, it didnt take away from the experience. The security..were assholes..but, i was in section 103...and i did manage to get some pics and some video..until my camera died! i was pissed! The setlist was amazing, maynard sounded amazing..everyone just blew my mind. wings for marie..the lighters..emotional. and i was giddy like a little school girl when they finished with aenima...perfect!...i do agree..thought they would throw some undertow stuff in but, its all good. Thank God for those tee-shirt vendors walkin around outside..10 bucks man! come on now 45 dollars for a tee-shirt...crazy. I'm still so musically high...i dont wanna come down! I cant wait to see them again.
Touching me, changing me,
And considerately killing me.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 11:48 AM   #42
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrats51 View Post
I agree that the fans weren't as vigilant as they should have been. My sister and I kept screaming to get the fuck up! What is wrong with you??? When the band sat down together in the middle of the stage, I was sure they were mocking Pittsburgh fans and I was terrified that they would walk off and never come back. Fortunately, once I realized that they weren't encoring but playing out until the end, I assumed that was a much needed break. But will they come back? Maybe I need to start travelling to find others who simply CAN'T sit down!!!!
I took the whole sitting down bit as a respectfull thing to be honest. The real people being disrespectful were the people going out for bathroom breaks and snacks.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:22 PM   #43
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

this was the first time i have seen tool been a fan for about 10 years so it was an amazing experience for me.....2nd row center stage floor seats 14 and 15......fucking amazing i have never seen a better show by anyone live or recorded and i have never had the bass actually make my shirt pulse it was crazy........the only thing i feel they could have added was "third eye" i figured they would close with that just seems like it would fit as the closer...but im not complaining it was great....hell i might try to go to willkes barre to see them on the 2nd if i can find tickets!!!!!! cna't wait to see them again......yeah and the security were all complete and total assholes
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 12:40 PM   #44
Level 4 - Thinker

Great show. My 1st TOOL show ever. 2nd Concert overall.

I'm late to posting because I had school today, and didn't feel like skipping... :-/

Anyway, setlist was great. It was the same setlist as the past few nights in Toronto and Cleveland. The atmosphere was unbelievable. It was utterly amazing. I was thrilled that it was just one opener for TOOL, instead of a few.

Isis was decent. I would not go see them as a headliner though, to my opinion. They need more vocals, less interlude instrumental stages to their songs, and fewer climax points to EVERY SINGLE song.

Once the "ISIS" banner was ripped down, the crowd cheered like unbelievable. I wasn't sure if this was for the poor performance by ISIS, or just because they were psyched that TOOL were actually in the building.

After the lights dimmed, the purple light show on the stage began, and Danny, Adam, Justin and Maynard made their way to a roaring audience. I was so psyched for this show it was unthinkable.

To the songs we go:

Opener: Stinkfist- The best opener for TOOL's setlist up to date. I loved the extended play at the beginning by Adam and Justin. Very cool.

2) The Pot- My favorite song off the new album. Very cool to hear live. I loved the smoke effects for the whole show.

3) 46 & 2- Great song. Very good display of TOOL's progressive side of their music. One of the best buildups and climax points to the song at the end. Very nice.

4) Jambi- Great talk box solo by Adam live. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him working the talk box in my binoculars. It looks very hard to play.

5) Schism- Like I said before, this is my FAVORITE TOOL song of all their albums. I loved the extended thrash/speed metal section they added into the middle of it.
6)Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned- A lot of speed vocals by Maynard at the beginnning. I loved hearing this song. Very good climax ending, just as it is on the new album.
7)Wings Parts 1 & 2 (10K days)- Mildest song[s] played all night. Part of the audience was sitting for this song, which I didn't care for. I thought TOOL did great on the song[s].

ENCORE

8) Lateralus- Heaviest and most crowd-driven song all night! I loved it. "Spiral OUT!!"
9) Vicarious- Nice interlude before the song, and the crowd was into this as well, but not as well as Lateralus.
10)Aenima- Greatest ending of the night. Peace Out!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 12:52 PM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkfyst View Post
I took the whole sitting down bit as a respectfull thing to be honest. The real people being disrespectful were the people going out for bathroom breaks and snacks.
yes i was one of those people who sat down for respect while he was doing wfm/10k. i sat down for respect PLUS a [nice] guy behind me told me to sit for a bit but when they started 'vicarious' i stood back up.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 01:08 PM   #46
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
I completely agree. There were 2 people in particular in my row, that must've wanted in and out atleast 6 times. I was about to say something to them because I was so pissed that our whole row kept being interrupted because of them.

I sat down for a portion of 10,000 days in respect to the song. I loved that everyone had their lighters in the air, and those who didn't, had their cellphones opened in the air.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:43 PM   #47
Level 4 - Thinker

Does anyone know what the first thing Maynard said was when they just came on? I think it was like "we need a drum" or something
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 02:00 PM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralus15 View Post
Does anyone know what the first thing Maynard said was when they just came on? I think it was like "we need a drum" or something
He said, "Hello Drunk People". There was a little bit of cannibis, but not much. Security was tight. A few people were passing around loose joints, but all I smelled was SCHWAG. Gross. the people we were sitting next to were wasted drunk.

More to come in show review.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 02:05 PM   #49
Level 1 - Lurker

Wow...

Last night was my first Tool show ever, and I seriously doubt if I'll ever regain 100% functioning of my senses.

What an intense and emtional night.

I think my favorite number of the evening was AEnima, because it's my favorite of all Tool songs, and has special meaning with me. When Maynard reached the "praying for rain" part, I was moved to the point of tears.

Schism also brought the house down with that bionic man super-fast part.

From an emotional standpoint, Wings/10,000 Days was amazingly powerful and blew me away.

I think the reason the security was such a pain in the ass was because of all the stuff that just happened at Duquesne, but you guys are right, I got hassled more than once for fairly innocent things.

Other than the security though, it was a spectacularly enjoyable night, and I just hope to God that it wasn't my last Tool show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #50
Level 4 - Thinker

Actually, I think security was also tight because someone had died earlier at a Tool concert on this tour. That's probably why the floor had chairs to prevent moshing...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 04:14 PM   #51
Level 1 - Lurker

Now that I have had some time to think about why security was as tight as it was, one thing came to my mind. A few weeks ago 5 Duquesne University basketball players were shot. The schools are not that far apart from each other.

I did buy a tool shirt on the street for $10.00 There were several guys selling them as you got off of forbes ave exit.

Just hope that next time tool comes around, it's not at the PEC.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 05:30 PM   #52
Level 2 - Poster

Wow.

5th TOOL show, 1st in Pittsburgh.

Drove from southern Ohio to see the show, traffic was unbelievable downtown.....Had Floor Section 5 seats, got tickets scanned and was informed that our seats were gone. We were speaking with customer service when Stinkfist started. They said Tool expanded their mixing station and got rid of Secton 5 altogether.

They offered us Section 119 in the stands, front row. Amazing show, we were right next to the stage with Maynard looking at us the entire time. All of the songs were great, it was fun to really be in the moment with the band.

My girlfriend caught the first of Danny's drumsticks, he threw his hands up and smiled when he saw her catch it! Fucking awesome to have a piece of show to take home....It's beat to hell and chipped in several places.

Anyway, see everyone next year!

Last edited by brtrandk; 09-27-2006 at 05:51 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 06:12 PM   #53
Level 2 - Poster

I'm still speechless about the show. I honestly have no words that have not been said already. I think we all, as Tool fans, generally feel the same about what went on last night, despite any little differences we may feel.

I do have a real general question though. The big $25 posters that they we're selling. I'm looking to find a frame for it and I really don't want to unravel it. If there is anyone who bought it and already took it out, could you possibly give me the measurements of it?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 06:13 PM   #54
Level 1 - Lurker

It was absolutely amazing. They played my fave song. We had crappy seats but the couple next to us were really nice, even let me use their binoculars. I mean what could be better than manyard taking his shirt off? Nothing thats what. It was my first TOOL concert but i'd definetly go again in a heartbeat. Not to mention their stage was awsome, very trippy indeed. I can't wait to go to another one of their shows. BEST BAND EVER!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 06:51 PM   #55
ry.
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtrandk View Post

traffic was unbelievable downtown.....
lol @ people in traffic on the parkway, blvd of the allies ftw!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 06:58 PM   #56
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry. View Post
lol @ people in traffic on the parkway, blvd of the allies ftw!
yeah...damn mapquest.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 08:32 PM   #57
Level 1 - Lurker

few things..

sombody said something like "nothing to complain about" if your looking for shit to complain about dont go to the fuckin show to me thats a waste of time.

somebody also said something about standing and making noise and such...i personally would rather not stand. i did however stand for most fo the concert and at times would sit on my folded up seat just for a break...its my natural disposition to be reserved and quiet...to each their own. i sand along to everything though i noticed pretty much everybody in the crowd doing the same and kept with the beat...

it was fuckin awesome. not too loud at all it was perfect. isis sucked my ball sack by the way, im glad they were quieter. what a fuckin waste of a half hour i would have rather watched a white stage gather dust waiting for tool to appear. i swear they played the same song like 4 times and it just went on with the same redundant beat and the same pathetic guitar riffs and i did not hear ONE single fuckin word their singer sung/screamed like a moron.

but to the important stuff.....show was awesome. i loved the little change-up in stinkfist and that really is the perfect song to bring a corwd into it. schism was fucking brilliant, taking the studio version a notch higher. rosetta stoned was definately a highlight...and the pot was pure energy....i was really excited to hear that and it exceeded expectations. adam definately showed that he is a premier guitarist in todays music scene...somebody to be admired for sure. seeing them live really solidified something i believe....that they, MUCH like Led Zeppelin, are the pinnacle of music today because each and every one fo them is the best at what they do right now. maynards voice was awesome...i think it was better live on the pot than it was in studio. i loved how they gave adam the spotlight on Jambi...if theres one other place i wish i could have been sitting other than where i was it would have been right in front of him. i was up to the right of the stage...section 121, down low. great seats.

well i coudl go on and on, but for a first timer, they surely did not dissapoint. only one thing could have made that show better.

- vicarious, + Pushit.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 08:55 PM   #58
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mets1fan View Post
My first Tool show...Absolutely amazing.

The set list is right (the same as past shows), although they did some interlude between Lateralus and Vicarious.

Sound was perfect in Section 205, Row D, Seat 3 (that's upper deck). The only problems were Rosetta Stoned, where I barely heard the beginning lyrics, and Lateralus, which Maynard started and paused....It's possible the crowd filled it in, but I couldn't hear enough to tell.

Maynard barely spoke, other than "Good Evening, Drunk People" at the beginning, and "How about them Steelers? I'm with you, I'm a big hockey fan". He did the Detroit bit after Wings, and added a "Peace Out" before Aenima.

They certainly know how to put on an amazing performance. I think I understand why they've stuck with this set list...it's perfect. You can't end a show better than they are, with Lateralus, Vicarious, and Aenima. Aenima is absolutely the greatest show-closing song.

Highlights for me were The Pot (which I've been dying to hear live), Vicarious, and Aenima (the last two for the sheer energy in the Pete).

The vocals were spot on, with all screams in tact. Looks like Maynard's fully recovered.
I was nicely dosed for the show, but I could swear he said, "Good Evening, JERK CICLES", not "Drunk People".... Does anyone else remember for sure what he said? Me and my girl are debating... she was pretty dosed too, so we need another source.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 09:17 PM   #59
Level 1 - Lurker

Anywayz, hands down the best concert of my life. I was at the columbus show too, and we sat in section 102, and it was a great show! We were pretty close to the stage and the band there, HOWEVER... At THIS show we had section L202, row A... which is the lodge seating, about mid-way up, slightly left of center. We had NO-ONE if front of us, just the rail and then drop-off to to floor about 10 ft! We had what I consider to be FRONT ROW for such a show... The view of the stage and LASERS couldn't have been much better, unless we were EXACTLY center, only right another 15ft (I AIN'T complaining!) ME and my girl were peaked right about the beginning of TOOL, so it worked out well. We seen this TOOL show the way it was absolutley MEANT to be seen, and it was one HELL of a roller-coaster ride! GOD BLESS the band, DANNY, JUSTIN, ADAM, & MAYNARD, and all their crew for putting together such and intricately intense, and emotionally stunning audio and visual treat for the mind and soul. I never got to see my favorite band PINK FLOYD live, but now I don't care,... I've seen the BEST!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 09:36 PM   #60
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaintive View Post
I completely agree. There were 2 people in particular in my row, that must've wanted in and out atleast 6 times. I was about to say something to them because I was so pissed that our whole row kept being interrupted because of them.

I sat down for a portion of 10,000 days in respect to the song. I loved that everyone had their lighters in the air, and those who didn't, had their cellphones opened in the air.
Some drunk dude was in afew seats to the right of me and my buddies and didn't get yelled at until Stinkfist was just starting. It pissed me off because all these guys had to get off their ass throughout the begining just so the security guard could handle the situation.

The Lighters however caused my hair to stand up. It was damn cool looking...except my lighter didn't work. :(
Old 09-27-2006, 09:38 PM   #61
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
yeah a girl in front of my left i think 2 times maybe 3...i was simply apalled although i wasnt paying much attention...

they played for what like...hour and a half or so? i had to piss since 7, an hour before isis started...and i never even thought about leaving.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-28-2006, 12:11 AM   #62

For the person above that asked about the poster size...it's 40X59. I got one on the mini tour autographed by AJ and DC that I had custom framed. I measured wrong (40X60 I thought) and had to have it recut and had to wait about 2 more weeks. You won't be able to find any kind of frame that size and I priced it out, the cheapest I found with a black frame and plexi glass front was $335. Luckily I recalled my friends mom worked in a frame shop and she hooked it up for $90. Totally worth it...framed and hanging dead center above my bed!!! Everyone that comes over is just like...damn dude. lol I even got a curtain and bedspread to match the colors of it ha.

As for the lasers hitting peoples faces....if you notice they only hit areas where there was wall exposed. They are all pre set up and adjusted so they don't hit people and can't get in your eyes. This set up obviously took a long time to set up and is also why the rig was already set up and ISIS played in front of it. I've seen past tool shows where they set up in between bands and it takes FOREVER for them to play.

Anyways, on to the show. My 9th Tool show and 22nd Maynard show (13 APC!)...it was very good. I wasn't sure about the new stage set up until Jambi started. Seemed plain compared to past shows until around that song. By the end of the set though as it progressed it was quite amazing!! I was thinking that they designed the show/set just like one long tool song with the crescendo and such...

Only thing I really noticed about the show that seemed off which no one has mentioned yet, 46and2 and Schism seemed really slow to me, as well as the people I came with. Other than that a few glitches here and there but nothing as bad as Coachella. It seems they are making more mistakes on this tour (which I dont mind cause it shows they are human). I recall a few shows off of the Lateralus tour that were absolutely 100% perfect (im a professional musician some I'm always paying attention to these things). I was really impressed with Maynards vocal performance at this show. This was my 3rd show of the 10,000 days tour and he sounded MUCH better tonight. At Coachella in April he said he was sick. At the philly show in (may I think?) he said he was sick. On the boards people have said he's been saying he's sick. At the shows I've seen he'd been dropping a lot of vocal parts down an octave and not hitting screams like he used to. Quite a bit in fact. Last night he only did this on a few parts...MUCH BETTER then the last 2 vocal performances I've seen. Although I did notice for the first time ever, he had the delay cranked quite a bit to carry out the screams and such....he never used to use such tricks.

I think it's time everyone face the fact that perhaps as Maynard is aging his voice is losing it's strength. It's natural, just always sad to see it happen (look at Chris Cornell, or Axl Rose). I think this is why he's said he's been sick at just about every show, I think it's why they'd dropped the "scream" songs from their set, I think it's why they've stuck with the same setlist for the most part, and I think it's why they elude to the fact that this my be the last album and tour and maynard is getting into wine making. At past tool shows I've seen em many times in a row and one night they played H, one night Jimmy, one night pushit, one night aenima, one night the grudge, one night parabola, one night the patient, one night ticks and leeches, etc....all when they hadn't been played on previous nights. Last night was really a nice surprise to see him in that good of vocal form...i have 3 more shows to go in the next 6 days so I'm hoping this trend will continue! I never want it to end and it will be a sad day in music if they ever do stop. A huge gap will be left that nobody can fill....

Last edited by zzzsleepzzz; 09-28-2006 at 12:15 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-28-2006, 02:52 AM   #63
Level 2 - Poster

TOOL ... as always .. fucking amazing & never disappointing. A couple minor 'glitches' but hey everyone is human from the sound crew to the band shit happens thats whats so great about any 'live' show its not edited or remixed , it is what it is . Sitting in section 207 I was slightly skeptical about the overall experience I would be able to achieve . Fuck can u believe peanut fucking heaven could be one the best seats in the house ? Lasers , light show , visuals could of never been so good & was perfect distance to bring the sound to a clearer level. By the time wings transitioned to 10000 days I was lost in show & my life force had been sucked by the band to elevate the energy to another level. As any Tool show it was not a concert , but a life lasting memorable experience. 23 years of concert going & this experience ranked as one of the best ever along with all the Floyd shows I have seen . Think I'm take me a few quick road trips & catch another date or two. The continued growth of Tool as a whole & indivudually never ceases to amaze me . LMAO is Danny fucking related to Neil Peart or taught by him ?!?! Would of killed to hear a 10-20 min solo from him . He truly is one of the best .
As for the poster about people sitting down , fuck you . In the section I was in I had a fucking 1'x2' space to stand when my seat was up , being there was a 70 degree angle , 100 feet straight down to the floor seats & 2sq. feet in front of those seats a few times planting my ass down didn't cause me to lose sleep over it . I've done my share of standing & thrashing out . Anyways there were a few moments when sitting felt appropriate + maybe we were all tranced at points to cause us to sit & be taken to new levels .
Show was great , visuals, lights, lasers were far beyond what I imagined they could be (the white stage / visual, lights were as good as it gets ) . I wish they would of closed with Right in Two , but no complaints. LOL ok one, I wish I would taken my son to this show for his first concert instead of Family Values. This show for an 11 yr olds first show would of been by far more lasting of an experience . Also is it me or do more & more people at shows now seem to be 'fake' & 'temporary' fans ?!?!?!
Tool is one of the few bands I will continue to see . blah, blah ,blah

P.s. about the lasers ;p I was hit by a row of beams I am now blind & my brain was oozed out of my head onto the floor due to the extreme heat of the laser 'LIGHT' hoped that helped

Last edited by monkeyintheworld; 09-28-2006 at 02:58 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-28-2006, 03:34 AM   #64
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaintive View Post

I wish the people around us were as respectful as other fans have described. Unfortunately, we had loud, yelling/talking types in our immediate area which is what elicited my reaction. I'm relieved that wasn't the case throughout the venue!

Last edited by hotrats51; 09-28-2006 at 03:52 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-28-2006, 03:40 AM   #65
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulrEclypse View Post
I was nicely dosed for the show, but I could swear he said, "Good Evening, JERK CICLES", not "Drunk People".... Does anyone else remember for sure what he said? Me and my girl are debating... she was pretty dosed too, so we need another source.
He definitely said, "Good Evening Drunk People."
Old 09-28-2006, 03:51 AM   #66
Level 3 - Talker

(^_^) After reading additional reviews that were posted last night, combined with all of those from yesterday, I'm compelled to comment on the emotion that this unforgettable performance invoked in all of us. We were all moved in some way - really feeling Tool's creative power/genius and not one of us has hesitated to admit it. Quite refreshing to have this particular connection with so many of you - if the band logged on here I think they'd be pleased to read about it. All of the fake, plastic musicians, producers, etc that are out there polluting the airwaves should read along and learn what it's supposed to truly be about. Tool fans kick ass!
Old 09-28-2006, 04:26 AM   #67
Level 1 - Lurker

this is my third time seeing tool. First in 2001 and then at this venue. For all of those people who go to the show to find every little error or flaw, you guys should try it some day. As for the show it was THE BOMB!! I never noticed this before but Adam was playen wothout shoes i don't know if thats commen but never knew that. Best show yet!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 04:09 AM   #68
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrats51 View Post
(^_^) After reading additional reviews that were posted last night, combined with all of those from yesterday, I'm compelled to comment on the emotion that this unforgettable performance invoked in all of us. We were all moved in some way - really feeling Tool's creative power/genius and not one of us has hesitated to admit it. Quite refreshing to have this particular connection with so many of you - if the band logged on here I think they'd be pleased to read about it. All of the fake, plastic musicians, producers, etc that are out there polluting the airwaves should read along and learn what it's supposed to truly be about. Tool fans kick ass!

I totally agree with you! I think all of the true Tool fans were moved to a certain extent, and I hope those who just jumped on board will soon be as inspired as well. It's what their music is about. Everyone interrupts the sound and lyrics differently. It touched me and even today while I sit at work I can still hear the sounds in my head. Every aspect of the show is still there. That's never happened to me with any other concert. I saw NIN in June and up until Tues it was the best show I've seen, but yet it was gone the next day, and I felt vacant. I don't know what it is about Tool but this one is buried deep inside of me... forever. It's like they became a part of me, and won't leave. I guess because I've waited for this for so long...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 05:33 AM   #69
Level 1 - Lurker

First time in the Pete.....Pittsburgh for once was an excellent crowd...How 'bout those $6 Buds.....best 12 oz cans I almost tasted.....concerts are going to complete shit people.... thank god for the bands being good enough to make you forget all the BS....Tool makes everthing and everyone better just by being there...good luck on the rest of the tour....Come on by next year boys! SPIRAL and PEACE .....OUT!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 07:11 AM   #70
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000Wings View Post
I totally agree with you! I think all of the true Tool fans were moved to a certain extent, and I hope those who just jumped on board will soon be as inspired as well. It's what their music is about. Everyone interrupts the sound and lyrics differently. It touched me and even today while I sit at work I can still hear the sounds in my head. Every aspect of the show is still there. That's never happened to me with any other concert. I saw NIN in June and up until Tues it was the best show I've seen, but yet it was gone the next day, and I felt vacant. I don't know what it is about Tool but this one is buried deep inside of me... forever. It's like they became a part of me, and won't leave. I guess because I've waited for this for so long...
As in other tours, this show has affected the way I hear the album. It's far more powerful/meaningful now that I've FELT it. :) What a night!

Last edited by hotrats51; 09-29-2006 at 07:45 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 08:21 AM   #71
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool show and I hoped to God it's not the last. The band kicked amazing amounts of ass, though I am a little disappointed in the crowd's lack of energy. Most people in our section were retardedly stoned, but my friends and I were headbanging and screaming at the top of our lungs anyway. Maynard seemed on top of his game tonight, both vocally and animatedly, and it seemed so flawlessly put together. I noticed only a few discrepancies in the music, but they were quickly fixed and not worth remembering. Wings/10K was definitely my favorite part of the concert, I had tears in my eyes and the lights and lasers were in perfect sync to the emotion and rhythm of the music. And I LOVED Maynard's visual complement to "flaming stealth banana split the sky." I would have liked to hear Right in Two, but I'm not complaining in the least that they stuck with the setlist they had. And ending with Aenema was definitely bitchin, and it actually got the people around me standing up and rocking out. I think I'm still on a high from the show, I can't wait to see them again.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 11:06 AM   #72
Mer
Level 1 - Lurker

What a sweet fucking show!!! First one ever in my decade of listening to Tool so I don't have much comparison but the stage was amazing and the accustics were great too. I was at Cleveland a few days later and didn't get to hear the vocals as well as at Columbus. A great setlist too. Rosetta Stoned was just as great live as I had hoped. Only thing off 10,000 days I didn't hear that I would have liked to was Right in Two, but I have NO COMPLAINTS!!! Crowd seemed into it except in the section to the right of 203 as you're looking at the stage. They all sat the entire show except for Aenima at the end. On a final note, does anyone know if mp3s from the show exist anywhere?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 12:45 PM   #73
Level 1 - Lurker

The show was great. I'm just going to throw something out there and see what others think. Out of all the tool shows I have been to I have never had a small crowd of drunks continuosly yell "fuck you Maynard" during and between every song....but in Pitts.they did it all night. Yes, even during WFM/10k Days....It was just a small group of people, but nontheless it was annoying. Anyone else hear them near section 105-103?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 03:11 PM   #74
Level 4 - Thinker

I was in the last row of section 104. Those assholes were right behind me. One of them got busted for having his cell phone out, and to diverge attention, he pointed out another guy 5 rows in front of him with his phone out too.

Just because there's beer doesn't mean you have to get completely trashed. Grow up. Enjoy the show
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 03:25 PM   #75
Level 1 - Lurker

Holy shit. I saw the security guy tell them to put it away and saw/heard them tell on that guy. He was 2 rows in front of me and looked shocked that someone told on him. I was in 105, the last row on the end. Two guys next to me were on acid and had to leave because they couldn't control themselves. I def. agree about the beer at the show. Those guys were rude.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 05:45 AM   #76
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkndwnbus View Post
The show was great. I'm just going to throw something out there and see what others think. Out of all the tool shows I have been to I have never had a small crowd of drunks continuosly yell "fuck you Maynard" during and between every song....but in Pitts.they did it all night. Yes, even during WFM/10k Days....It was just a small group of people, but nontheless it was annoying. Anyone else hear them near section 105-103?
And I thought a few people in MY section were assholes. I'm sorry for anyone in or near your section. Grow up is right! Who DOES that? You pay $50+ dollars and wait years to see your favorite band and a few people attempt to completely destroy your perfect night. Inconsiderate fucks! Kudos to all of you who dealt with it with dignity. To those of you who were yelling "fuck you Maynard", I'd love to hear your excuse. Probably disgruntled Steelers fans.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:47 AM   #77
Level 1 - Lurker

yeah, I just don't understand the logic of acting like that at any concert. It just doesn't make sense to me. Haha, I'm a Steeler fan as well, but that was far from my mind that night. Far from being mad enough to yell stupid things at Maynard. I guess maybe they were mad they go to the Univ. of Pitt? That would piss me off.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 09:19 AM   #78
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtrandk View Post
Wow.

5th TOOL show, 1st in Pittsburgh.

Drove from southern Ohio to see the show, traffic was unbelievable downtown.....Had Floor Section 5 seats, got tickets scanned and was informed that our seats were gone. .......

etc

hey , i heard a rumor about this , and i actually wanted to post on here about this asking around to seei f this happened to other ppl and they experiences...

after seeing the show, (section 106) being raised up a bit was probably better since the graphics and lights on stage were more visable from higher up ...

but really for some shows having floor seays would be sweet and id be at least a little bit pissed after being told at the show that i was being moved ...

i was in 106 row U. great area. only thing that was annoying was these hallway lights and stairway lights that remained on the whole show and kind atook away from the whole experience of watching the stage and visuals.

o well. great fucking show. simple as that.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 02:54 PM   #79
Level 1 - Lurker

This was third show on this tour that I went to and of course thoroughly enjoyed. I felt the band was enjoying themselves at this show more than they did at Cleveland and even Columbus (the other 2 shows I hit).

Maynard didn't do much interaction with the crowd in Cleveland and if memory serves, he didn't leave the back stoop once, where here in Pittsburgh, he walked around a few different times, including the amazing performance of Rosetta Stoned with him roaming around the stage with panic searing through his body as if it were happening to him.

Even though Adam broke a string (or a couple strings?) through the song, the Pittsburgh version of Rosetta Stoned was my favorite performance throughout the 3 sets. I also enjoyed Aenema being the closer through the sets. And though I love the Undertow disc, the absence of any work from this disc didn't take away from the set.

I was also happy with the lack of lighters displayed during the performance of Wings For Marie I and II in all three cities. There were a couple here and there, but out of respect for Maynard's mother, most kept them in their pockets until the break, where almost as holding a candle during a vigil, and the break acting as a moment of silence, Justin lit his, thus causing the crowd to break them out.

The band is simply amazing during their show. They have such a presence that Maynard talking between every song is unnecessary. The few words he says through the nights have such impact. I got the vibe that he doesn't particularly care for his hometown, as many artists don't. For the Pittsburgh show, he had so much fire on stage where Cleveland it appeared almost as if he wanted to get through the show and on to the next.

Last edited by BocanX; 10-02-2006 at 01:56 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-03-2006, 09:41 AM   #80
Level 1 - Lurker

Amazing show it was the first time I ever saw them. It was incredible I really want to see them again.. I sat right where the band entered and exited... I can't describe the chills that went up my spine and the hair standing on my neck when the band entered the stage. That feeling never left throughout the whole show.

I think that the smoke they used was scented. It was an incredible smell does anyone know anything about that?

Last edited by lateralus87; 10-03-2006 at 09:46 AM..
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: