opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 07-08-2006, 07:06 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/09/11 - The Woodlands, TX - Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
Jambi
Forty Six & 2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema
Right In Two

TO HELP CONTROL THE INSANITY OF THIS THREAD, REVIEWS WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR A FEW MORE DAYS ONLY BY PM'ING paraflux.

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/11 - The Woodlands, TX - Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion

9:26 - Stinkfist
Jambi
46 & 2
Maynard's apologies. "If you got naked it would help.... Apparently you don't want to help"
Schism
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Lateralus
"Thanks for understanding." 9/11 Silence, Happy Birthday to the Patriot Act.
Vicarious
"Alrighty then"
Aenema
Encore--Sea of lighters
Danny drum solo
Right in Two
End 11:00
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

Setlist above is correct. Maynard was pretty sick and stopped singing a little over halfway through 46 & 2, and at a few other points in the show, but thanked us for being patient and really tried to do as best he could.

The sound out on the lawn wasn't that great, but it was a good show. The lighting was amazing. Had a moment of silence for 9/11, then everyone sang Happy Birthday to the Patriot Act which was pretty damn funny. Lateralus was the highlight of the night for me. Worn out and need to be up early for work, may post more later.

Last edited by landshark; 09-11-2006 at 09:03 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 09:29 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Setlist looks to be correct.

This was my 3rd show to see them. It was different. I felt bad and appreciated the fact that Maynard apologized to us. He is a human and I can't imagine how hard that would be to try to sing like he sings while being sick. I was hoping to hear The Pot and Wings/10,000 days, but it's ok. All in all, it was good show, just very different. Like I have read in other reviews of other shows, even when Tool is not at their best, they're still better than most bands out there who are at their best.

See ya next time guys.

P.S. Danny, you rocked it! You still remain one of my biggest influences on the kit. Thanks for a great performance. Hopefully you'll do a clinic sometime.
Grand Prarie, TX (Dallas) - July 25, 2009
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 09:56 PM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

Quick note before bed: Did anyone see the bat flying around on stage? BTW, Blair, please spread the word that there are rabid bats found in that area. I didn't see where it finally went, but it looked to me like backstage. If anyone had any sort of contact with it, they might want to keep that in mind. (A teenager died this year from rabies)
I was pleased with the show, although I could barely hear Maynard and there were some flubs. From right in front, in the pit; the lasers, lights and projection were truly amazing. I can just imagine what it will look like from afar... I am sure you will hear some negatives reviews on this show, but I for one am happy.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 10:17 PM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

Re: 2006/09/11 - The Woodlands, TX - Cynthia Wood Mitchell Pavillion

Let Me Start by writing this. I understand that the human body is frail and can succumb to illness and I love Tool very much, this is my third show which I know is less than some, However I am very depressed about tonights performance, It was a huge let down. Maynard being under the weather was putting it mildly. Bottom line is he could not perform and as a result the fans got an instrumental show with virtually no vocals. Stinkfist and Jambi were the highlights of the show in that Maynard actually sang those songs 46&2 on was really a toss up and as a fan of Tool since the early 90's I feel that this performance warrants one of two things. A full refund or a rescheduled date of which those who attended tonights show could go for free. Adam, Justin, and Danny were fantastic they truly did not miss a beat but sadly this is a quartet and tonight there was certainly a man down. I know I may sound harsh but it is all true, I wish it were not so but it is. I thank you Maynard for apoligizing after forty6&2, but that is really not enough to make up for the dismal performance that I paid good money to see.

Last edited by MartyV; 09-12-2006 at 03:58 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 11:05 PM   #7
On Probation

Bincount™: 88

I really love how the fans in Houston have been so positive about the reviews thus far. I have mixed feelings to be honest. I have seen Tool several times, and I would be making things up if I said this wasn't the worst performance I have seen. The set list mentioned above looks correct - and it illustrates the awkwardness of tonight's show. Several songs were missing from previous shows, most importantly wings and 10,000 days. In addition, I sang more tonight than Maynard did. He literally left half of the songs empty. So, to get everyone up to speed on my review I would need to say that I HAVE BEEN READING THE FORUMS AND KNEW MAYNARD WAS SICK BEFORE THE SHOW STARTED......BUT IT WAS STILL A VERY STRANGE SHOW. I am a musician and completely understand that it is hard for a vocalist to sing while sick - so I certainly appreciate that Maynard gave it his all. Ultimately, I felt like there was just something missing tonight apart from Maynard's sickness. Maybe tonight was a bad night for all the boys........I don't know. I do know that I left tonight's show thinking that, after all, these guys are only human. I hope you get better Maynard, and I wish you guys the best of luck on the rest of the tour.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 11:25 PM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Well I am pretty sure we got to see the asshole of the tour. Was pretty disappointing, except for the fucking kick ass laser beams. Lateralus was fucking sweet.

I just kept getting this, Im too old to be a rock n roll star vibe from maynard tonight. Perhaps they should have postponed so they could put together a good show, because that was crap (but Tool crap is still better than most shows Ive seen ever so its not all bad). Hope maynard gets better. Seriously, it may cost some money in the long run but if your sick, your sick. Sit it out and wait for better days. Perhaps Tool will make it right to Houston on their next time around.

Does anyone know who in the Tool world of people is a very large, native american guy who is borederline ogreish? He had all the backstage access and wasnt sure if I recognized him or not.

And another thing about some of the people at the concert. Swastika tatoos are really really really stupid. If you have one cover it up. Better yet, eliminate yourself from the gene pool. And if you or a friend of yours was one of the douche bags yelling during the moment of silence, you are heartless, souless people that disgrace humanity by your existance. (I love getting on high horses). But fear not, I think Maynard actually talked to you specifically in the concert when he kept repeating "Fuck all you junkies, and fuck your short memories!" One last thing, if meth is causing your mouth to turn into a wes craven movie.... quit smoking meth.

laser beams.... all i wanted was a concert with friggen laser beams and I got it. sweet. Make it right next time Tool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 11:30 PM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Well it was an ok show, but hell it was Tool and i rocked my ass off. Patriot act bday song was funny as shit. I had some folks next to me that sang happy b day to danny thinking it was his b-day b/c he stood up during the song. All I could think was at least they knew his name... C ya in Dallas.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-11-2006, 11:38 PM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

Let me start off by saying that i was in front of the pit and pretty much right against the railing in the middle, but more towards adams side. THe sound for the instruments was great, the vocals sounded muffled and you couldnt hear them very well at all. So that being put aside. This was my 11th show and it was not the greatest, but hey its TOOL, how bad can it really be?? First time i was ever so close to a band in a big venue. I saw them in 97 in Asbury Park, NJ but i wasnt at the railing. The pit was very small and easy to get up front. The lasers were cool, i couldnt see the screen on the stage. But others will tell you about the show, let me tell some details...Maynard was wearing an ATF jacket with a cirlce slash going across the T. Still on his anti smoking campaign i guess, but who knows. Justin was using his bottle of Stella beer to play his bass at one moment in time, i think before Vicarious started. Adam and Justin were stellar. Same setlist that i saw in NY during the warmup tour minus Sober, MINUS a song!! #3rd show since the new album, still no THE POT, just my luck!! No Wings or Days. Danny was amazing, watching him is always a treat. Maynard let the crowd sing alot of verses, hopefully he'll get better by tomorrow. Well Right in 2 was a pretty good close i thought, it ends with ferocious style. Man, being so close to them is great. But cant wait to sit further away and see the while lights and laser and screen on the floor thing. Well anyways drove from austin to houston, back to austin. Gotta be at work in 6 hours. See ya'll in San Antonio tonight.
11/22/96 | 02/27/97 | 07/11/97 | 07/03/98 | 10/24/01 | 10/28/01 | 07/23/02 | 07/26/02 | 05/19/06 | 05/20/06 | 09/11/06 | 05/29/07 | 05/31/07 |
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 01:47 AM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Well, this was my 28th TOOL show, and I just don't know exactly what to say about it. I have a scramble of thoughts and emotions running through my head, and I'm just WAY too tired to try to organize them. So I'll just list a few comments/ hightlights/ lowlights, and then come back tomorrow and edit.

1) I thought Maynard started off ok in Stinkfist... maybe a bit reserved, but ok. Then he really held back at the end of Jambi, and I started to get worried. When he then only sang about 40% of the lines in 46&2, I realized that we were in for a repeat of the LAST Houston show... July 27, 2002. For those that don't remember or weren't there, Maynard left the stage halfway through The Patient and they finished it instrumentally. Then they dropped AEnema and Reflection from the setlist. The reason for this? Maynard was sick... It seems like Houston just has a bad luck streak going with TOOL shows.

Attempting to find a silver lining... As soon as an audience recording of this show starts to circulate, we can all throw TOOL karaoke parties. Just pop in the Houston show and grab a mic. Wooo...

2) Someone else already mentioned the bat, but I have to bring it up again. Honestly it might have been the highlight of my night. If memory serves, while Adam and Justin were starting the buildup at the beginning of Vicarious, a bat fluttered down and began to fly in circles and figure-8s around the stage, at most keeping a foot or so above the stage floor. At times he even circled around Adam's feet, then would fly over behind Justin (who probably didn't even notice, thanks to his Jesus hair) and then made its way over past Maynard's platform. It continued to do this for a good minute or more, and finally found its way offstage and over the pit once Vicarious broke out and the "tv snow" video images began to play. I'm just glad I was able to see this all happen from so close. Both Maynard and Adam were completely entertained as well... It generated a smile from both of them.

3) I really don't know why Danny stood up when Maynard said it was someone's birthday. Inside joke I guess. But I'm sure that 95% of the crowd thought they were singing to Danny. In case you didn't catch it, Maynard was "celebrating" the birth of the Patriot Act... NOT Danny's birthday, which is in May.

4) From where I was standing, the crowd did seem pretty receptive and sympathetic to Maynard being sick, so I was glad the he acknowledged that by thanking us for our patience and understanding. When he admitted that he was "trying his best", it seemed to me like a very genuine moment... truly admitting that something was wrong and that he was unable to do much about it. I dunno... I just found it unexpected.

5) The ABSOLUTE lowlight of the night was not getting Wings pt.1 and 2. Justin had his stool waiting for him on the side of the stage. Adam practiced a little bit of it during soundcheck. I'm positive they were going to play it. Maynard was obviously the one to make the change to the set. He spoke to Adam fairly late in the show, and Adam passed it along to Danny and Justin. I'm sure this was about dropping Wings from the setlist. All I wanted from today was to hear that song. They could have dropped 3 more songs from the set and only played for an hour as far as I was concerned... just as long as they played Wings.... but no luck. *sigh*

6) I liked the visuals more this time than I did at the Gorge show. I think the Gorge was just TOO outdoorsy for it to really work. Where I was standing at the front of the pit tonight, it's almost like actually being inside a venue, and those visuals definitely work better inside. For example, the light bulbs on strings look less cheesy when you can't see the strings on them, like I could at the Gorge.

7) Justin burned his finger a bit while holding up his lighter during their "encore break." I found this funny... but so did he, it seemed.

8) Oh yeah... the other main lowlight of my night was the people who screamed and whistled when Maynard called for a moment of silence in rememberence of those who lost their lives on 9/11. Honestly... HONESTLY... do you people really like to hear yourselves make noise THAT much? I just don't get it. He asks for a MOMENT of silence. 5-10 seconds tops... and you can't keep your damn mouth shut for that long? I guess I'll just never stop being surprised at how stupid some people can be.

9) Normally I hate it when people sing along out loud to songs at a show, but I actually kind of liked it when Maynard decided to hold out his mike towards the crowd those few times during certain songs... calling for the crowd to fill in where he was incapable of singing. It's lousy that he had to do it, but for some reason I liked it... even if just a little.

10) Oh yeah... Isis was great, again. I hope most people are giving them a fair shot.

Ok... it's now 5 am and I've to get some rest and prepare for the San Antonio show. I've got all my fingers and toes crossed that Maynard has some sort of miraculous overnight recovery and can perform a full show this time. I know he's trying his best, but these were some expensive tickets and tonight's show really didn't feel like a complete performance.
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 04:40 AM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

I will say that even with the great respect I have for Tool, when the lead singer is too sick to sing even 50% of the show with the quality that fans expect... they should cancel and reschedule. I have seen eight Tool shows, including the last Tool Woodlands show, and this was by far the most incomplete and sickness controlled show. I agree that Tool should do the fans a special thanks for putting up with the situation by returning and honoring the tickets at a second free show.

The bat was cool and I thought the best song of the night was Lateralus.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 05:00 AM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

yea i thought Tool being what they are would have have more respect for thier fans than to do a show (for a lack of a better word) half-assed tonight. I've been to 3 tool shows and this by far was the most disappointing. i had my girl friend with me last night and i really wanted her to get a chance to see and feel (you all know what i'm talking about) a tool show and this wasn't it. i paid a lot of money for those seats, tool should have just rescheduled this show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 05:57 AM   #14
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Houston always gets the shit end of the stick. Last time they were in town it was at the Verizon Wireless Theater and the venue proudly proclaimed that the show would be over promptly at 10 pm, as a result, Reflection got cut from the set. This time it was illness.

I have mixed feelings about it. No, I didnt enjoy myself nearly as much as I could have, but I've been sick while performing before, and perhaps empathy has its place here. We can talk all day about whether or not they should have rescheduled, or just outright cancelled, or altered the setlist to reflect Maynard's inability to sing any high notes, but they didnt, so talking about it is pointless. He did give us the Rosetta Stoned scream though, I dont know how he did that.

I loved the stinkfist and schism interludes, I had heard the schism one before, but it's still nice to hear again. They did play a couple of things I hadnt heard before, trippy little interludes that could end up on future releases. The lights were cool as shit, the sound wasnt great, not nearly loud enough up on the lawn. I probably will never get lawn tickets again to a show there.

All things considered, it was ok. Singing happy birthday to the patriot act was pretty cool.

"I know this might be cheesy, but... I would like to have a moment of silence for the lives lost 5 years ago today..."

*puts mic down*

"Thank you. That was the serious part of the show. Now back to the unbridled, insensitive humor... Someone has a birthday today! That's right, the Patriot Act! Let's all sing happy birthday..."

*crowd sings happy birthday*

"See? Insensitive."

edit: During AEnima, Maynard repeated the same lines 3 times, instead of changing it up each time like on the album. The "Fuck retro anything, fuck your tattoos, fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memory." When someone said he did something similar at the last show, I thought it might have been an accident, but nah, they are really trying to drive home the memory/drugs thing.

Also, there are many, many subtle changes they make to their songs. Especially notable was the ending of Jambi, further convicting me of the point that Jambi at times sounds like something is "starting up." Danny is primarily responsible, sounded like a motorcycle revving up.

Last edited by paraflux; 09-12-2006 at 07:51 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 06:58 AM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 6th time to see TOOL, and I’m sorry to say it was the worst performance of them all. I’m not here to bash the band – I’m a HUGE TOOL FAN - but I left very disappointed last night. To start things off, it just wasn't as loud as I expected (or as loud as other recent concerts). Most importantly, Maynard was obviously not feeling well – he just seemed really tired. As most here have said already, he didn’t sing many of the lyrics, and those he did…well…it just wasn’t a powerful performance in any way.

Adding to the night’s frustration – they stopped selling beer at about 9:30 – just 15 minutes after TOOL hit the stage. OH - I think the setlist posted above is mostly correct - EXCEPT I remember Schism came before 46&2. Why do I remember this? Because Schism isn’t my favorite song and I took that opportunity to run down and get another beer. ….NO BEER FOR YOU!! …and then, about 10 minutes after that they shut down EVERYTHING. You couldn’t even buy a bottle of water if you wanted to. …WTF?!? I’ve been to several concerts at Cynthia Woods recently (Buzzfest, Family Values, Godsmack) and for those shows concessions stayed open until about 15 or 20 minutes before the end of the show. OK, I know you don’t go see TOOL just to drink beer….but I just irked me that they shut down the entire concessions – yet the day before Blaire posts all about the nice catering (and cold beer) the band gets to enjoy. ..so yeah, it felt just a little like I was getting screwed.

To be honest, I don’t know if I will be spending $80 for a TOOL ticket again anytime soon. OK, well – I hate to leave on a negative note – so let me say that the visuals were pretty cool - I liked the lasers. I also really enjoyed Stinkfist, Jambi was cool, the 46&2 instrumental was nice, Lateralus was also a highlight, and it was cool to see all the lighters on the hill .

Overall: 2 stars out of 5.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 07:02 AM   #16
Banned.

No, schism was not before 46&2, seeing as 46&2 was the third song, after Stinkfist and Jambi.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 07:16 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

I have to agree with those who believe they should have re-scheduled. Paying $80 and getting 50% of the lyrics doesn't cut it, especially when the most powerful verses are being left out. I was at the last show too when he was sick...I'll be in Dallas Thursday and already have a bad feeling.

I think we would all gladly wait another couple of months and get Maynard at 100%, then get short-changed.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 07:58 AM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux View Post
No, schism was not before 46&2, seeing as 46&2 was the third song, after Stinkfist and Jambi.
Perhaps you're right...sorry 'bout that. Now it's my turn to correct you...

Quote:
Last time they were in town it was at the Verizon Wireless Theater ....
No, the last time TOOL played Houston it was in the Summit/Compaq Center/Lakewood Church - summer of 2002. (Maynard was 'sick' for that performance also). Tool came back and played in Beaumont in Nov '02 - and that was one of the best TOOL shows I've seen. TOOL has never played Verison - perhaps you're thinking about A Perfect Circle? I saw APC at Verison.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 08:15 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

46 & "cough" well u finish the rest. i flew in from north carolina just to see this show and needless to say i was greatly disappointed. yeah it sucks that maynard was sick and we all appreciate the try but it really wasnt worth it. i dont think that they should do a free show for us but i do think they should come back. doesnt really do me any good cuz i cant fly back but at least everyone else should get a good show. it also really sucks that the type of people that are being drawn out to tool concerts now. half of them didnt even know any of the songs except for vicarious. on the bright side the rest of the band was still bad ass n loved their performance. all n all it was a BIG waste of money and time to fly home. guess thats just the luck of the draw sometimes
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 08:26 AM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Last time they were in town it was at the Verizon Wireless Theater and the venue proudly proclaimed that the show would be over promptly at 10 pm, as a result, Reflection got cut from the set. This time it was illness.
They cut AEnema and Reflection from that show at the Compaq Center because Maynard was sick then too. Remember Maynard leaving the stage for most of The Patient? Also, I have a setlist from that show, and it clearly shows those other two songs in place.

Quote:
... He did give us the Rosetta Stoned scream though, I dont know how he did that.
He did give us ONE of the screams in Rosetta, but there are a few. Anyway I agree... surprising he did it considering many of the other lines that we DIDN'T get to hear.

Quote:
They did play a couple of things I hadnt heard before, trippy little interludes that could end up on future releases.
Most notable of these, to me, was the interlude they played before Right in Two. It seemed VERY odd and rather thrown together. Really more like they were back in soundcheck. Danny had this odd sample on repeat. It sounded like bottle glass breaking in a rhythmic, percussive way. Adam played some little riffs, and Justin tooled around, no pun intended. Then Danny started to solo a bit and I thought it sounded like a version of Merkaba. Then the whole thing faded and Adam starts playing the opening notes to Right in Two. Again... it seemed very odd and impromptu. I thought for sure they were building up to play Sober. Right in Two was a welcome surprise after that.
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 08:31 AM   #21
Banned.

^^ That sample was in Intension if I am not mistaken, the glass crushing one.

And about the last Houston show, I am still not convinced he was sick for that one, it appeared someone was laser-pointing his eyes during the Patient and that's why he walked off. I could be wrong, sure. But there were also signs up everywhere in the venue saying that the show would be over PROMPTLY at 10:00. If they had added Reflection to the setlist, as well as AEnema, then it would have gone over. I think venue politics had a large part to play, but I guess that's just me.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 08:32 AM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.foreman View Post
it also really sucks that the type of people that are being drawn out to tool concerts now. half of them didnt even know any of the songs except for vicarious.
I saw this as well, BUT the only songs these jokers next to me knew were from Ænima. Hopefully they'll go buy the album now.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 08:35 AM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
^^ That sample was in Intension if I am not mistaken, the glass crushing one.

And about the last Houston show, I am still not convinced he was sick for that one, it appeared someone was laser-pointing his eyes during the Patient and that's why he walked off. I could be wrong, sure. But there were also signs up everywhere in the venue saying that the show would be over PROMPTLY at 10:00. If they had added Reflection to the setlist, as well as AEnema, then it would have gone over. I think venue politics had a large part to play, but I guess that's just me.

Possible I suppose, since I was standing near the soundstage and wouldn't have seen a laser from that far away, BUT I know for a fact that AEnema and Reflection are on the setlists that were taped to the stage that night... because I have one.

And breaking up the trilogy of songs? It seems to me that if they were going to have to shorten their show because of the venue, and knew this in advance, they would have chosen a bit more carefully and not broken up D/R/T. It was just too odd.

... and I think you're right about that sample from Intension. If I remember right it's at the beginning of the track... very quiet. That interlude didn't much resemble Intension though.

Last edited by optimistic-pessimist; 09-12-2006 at 09:15 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 08:49 AM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

No Complaints from me. I have seen a few shows, and people need to understand that people get sick, and the band members are humans, just like us.
I was rather disappointed with the venue. I have seen TOOL in Manfield Mass at the Tweeter center a couple times, and nothing compares to the acoustics in that place. Maybe I am spoiled, but I think it could have been better. (The Venue, not the band)
ISIS was a great opener. I consider myself a fan of Faith No More, but all the Mike Patten bands were annoying last time around... So it was nice to see a good band like ISIS play.
All in all it was a great show for me. Every show I have seen the fans do a lot of singing, so it was not so bad when Maynard wasn't singing, becuase most everyone was singing along (at least where I sat).
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 09:37 AM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

Alright l feel like it is important for the Tool fans to know what really went on during last night's performance. I am a security guard at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion and let me first state that this is only my opinion, not the opinion of the Pavilion's staff or the venue itself. I am a big Tool fan, I love the band, the music. I believe they are musical geniuses and I am not here to bash the band or its music.

Everything seemed to be going well for the first three songs, but during Schism, my security supervisor came up to me and told me "The lead singer is about to walk off the stage, they don't know if the whole band is going to stop playing. If there is a riot, get to a safe spot immediately. They are preparing for anything backstage" I immediately thought that this was due to the fact that Maynard was sick. About 10 minutes later, my supervisor informed me that he was going to try to finish the set. He obviously did, and after the show, my supervisor told me that Maynard had threatened everybody numerous times to walk offstage and stop playing because he thought attendance was low. If you noticed, the band was supposed to come on stage at 9:00 but instead, they took the stage at 9:25. This was because Maynard thought there wasn't enough people in the house. I saw the report for the final attendance count, which was recorded at over 15,000 people. The pavilion has a capacity for 16,500. We consider that as being sold out. I don't really believe he was sick because when he sang what he sang, he didn't sound bad, not to mention the Rosetta Stoned scream. I still have a lot of respect for the band, but not for Maynard. Is he trying to imitate Axl?? I don't think it's fair to you, the real fans. And I don't think it's fair for you or for the staff, because he put everybody at risk. If he had walked out, and a riot had happened, it would have been his fault. Nonetheless, the band put on an amazing performance, and a good visual/light show. I hope they dont let us down the next time.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

^ I don't really believe this. If he was pretending to be sick, then he's a better actor than he showed in "Bikini Bandits" and "Sleeping Dogs Lie." He was constantly leaning over and resting on his hands on his knees. He had his jacket on for a good portion of the show, and it was not exactly cool out.

The place looked full to anyone with eyes. I don't think this theory holds water.

Last edited by optimistic-pessimist; 09-12-2006 at 11:41 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 10:03 AM   #27
Banned.

I mean, I'm with optimistic, I dont see how that's possible. Not to dog your position at the show, I dont disbelieve that you were told what you were told, Mitrie. However, security is paranoid about riots and will tell their workers anything in order for them to be on guard. There's no way that 15000 people is "not enough people." His gracious apologies to the crowd were enough for me.

plus, he didnt sound bad? He sounded sick even when he was just talking. He sang all of Rosetta Stoned an octave lower than normal.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 10:34 AM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

Well, I obviously did not expect you guys to believe something like that immediately. Let me point out a couple of things. I've worked at the Pavilion for more than 4 years. We have had way heavier and more violent crowds than this and I have NEVER been told anything regarding a riot. My department has a supervisor who is very close to the employees of our department. We only have about 20 people working at each show under my supervisor, she's not the kind to BS about something like that. My supervisor was standing next to me and telling me what was going on as she heard it on her radio. Also, elaborating a lie like this would be pointless, it would have been easier to tell us that the whole deal was caused by him being sick. It definitely wasn't to keep us on guard, because they specifically told us "if a riot breaks out, DON'T STOP ANYBODY FROM DOING ANYTHING, just get to a safe place and let law-enforcement handle it".

Optimistic, you point out the interlude before Right in Two. When I saw this, to me it looked like Maynard didn't want to return to stage and Adam kept going back and forth to the side of the stage to talk to somebody. This is just my perception of it though, I didn't get any info about that.

PS: I might be wrong about him not singing, so disregard that comment
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 10:34 AM   #29
Level 2 - Poster

Plain and simple, worst Tool show I've ever seen. This is my 11th show (3rd this year). I was at the Houston show a few years back when maynard was "sick". I was at the Philly show during the tour earlier this year when maynard was "sick". And I had the privilege of being at last night's show...when maynard was "sick". I guess it's debatable whether he was actually sick in light of the post by the Pavilion employee. Regardless, maynard's performance was pathetic. I've seen artists angered by lack of crowd involvement, but at every show where the singer or other band members were pissed at the crowd, the band lets the crowd know how shitty they are ad nauseum. That didn't happen here which makes me lean a little more to the "I'm sick" excuse. Problem is, I've seen other bands perform while they were sick and they belt it out and put on a good show because they understand that it's not the crowd's fault that they're sick and the fans shouldn't suffer. Maybe they have a little more respect for their fans. Finally, I've had tickets to shows where members of the band became ill prior to the show date and they have postponed the show and moved it to the end of the tour...again, because it's not the fans' fault and they should be treated to the same quality performance as the other cities.

The show should have been postponed if maynard was sick. if he wasn't sick and he was upset that there was only 15,000 fans instead of the capacity 16,500, he should stop being such a fuckin' baby and be glad that he has 15,000 fuckin' fans at every stop on the tour.

For an $80 face value ticket...I expect a whole lot more.

All this belly aching, though, and I'll still buy a ticket for the next show. If only to see if he "makes it up" to the fans who have been so devoted for so long and who wait patiently for 5 year stretches until Maynard decides to grace us with his presence
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 10:53 AM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

I was there. From the above posts and what I saw, the impression I'm getting is Maynard most likely considered cancelling because he was sick and it not being a full house. If there was a full house, he probably felt obligated to do what he could regardless of sickness, but if fewer than expected people were there, then it could be postponed for another date with minimal damage. He was beginning to get sick at Saturday's Arizona show as well, so Houston pretty much got the worst of it.

I do agree that it was a lackluster show, though. Awful, awful sound.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 10:57 AM   #31
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandragora View Post
Quick note before bed: Did anyone see the bat flying around on stage? BTW, Blair, please spread the word that there are rabid bats found in that area. I didn't see where it finally went, but it looked to me like backstage. If anyone had any sort of contact with it, they might want to keep that in mind. (A teenager died this year from rabies)
I was pleased with the show, although I could barely hear Maynard and there were some flubs. From right in front, in the pit; the lasers, lights and projection were truly amazing. I can just imagine what it will look like from afar... I am sure you will hear some negatives reviews on this show, but I for one am happy.
I saw the damned bat. I was in row SS. That's scary considering the rabies death earlier this year.

This show was great. It's too bad Maynard's voice wasn't up to par, but hey, the guy got sick. It's understandable. This is my 7th time seeing Tool, and all of the other 6 shows were excellent. And "Lateralus" more than made up for the rest of the show this time.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 10:59 AM   #32
Level 4 - Thinker

The cowboy hat, boots, and the ATF jacket Maynard was wearing was much appreciated :D

So was the Happy Birthday to the Patriot Act.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 11:01 AM   #33
Level 4 - Thinker

With all that's been said, here and in all about maynard, I just don't understand it. Even though we don't know maynard personally, we know where he stands in life with his views on reality and spirituality. I very highly doubt that he would leave a show cuz there wasn't enough people. That would be too egoistic, and I'm almost possitive maynards been getting rid of his egoistic side even before the band had started. So, from what my opinion is on maynard and the band, I think they would play at an audience even if only 50 people showed up, cuz they know it would mean something to them. Maynard has to be sick, cuz he also cancelled tonights show in San Antonio, and I believe the Dallas show has been postponed also. I was supposed to go to the show tonight, and yeah I was a little disappointed but if the man's sick then let him heal, after all that he has made for us, we should be less selfish too. We can't be mad at the man or the band.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:16 AM   #34
Banned.

I think we can all safely say that we dont know what happened. But I can also safely say that for everything I have received from this band, this is surely a small thing to grant the guy to be forgiven for being sick, for fuck sake.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 11:19 AM   #35
Level 4 - Thinker

(In comic book guy's voice) WORST.TOOL.SHOW.EVER!

Yes, they should come back and perform a free show for those that were there last night. To not do so would be like a big "Fuck You" to the fans. We didn't pay $75 a ticket to listen to the crowd sing the songs, and btw, they were very off-key. We wanted to see TOOL, not Toolaoke. I'm sorry that Memford was sick, that really sucks, but it's extremely unprofessional to stand there and let the crowd sing for you and cut the set list by several songs. Either suck it up and sing or postpone the show, like they are tonight.

The highlight of the show for me was Lateralus. It was the only song played close to 100%. I thought they were going to debut Intension but went into Right In Two instead, which was beautiful. From what I could see, it looked like Adam was like "what the fuck?" all throughout the show. And when Memford walked off the stage after RIT, Danny seemed flabbergasted that the show was over and walked over to his sticks. I knew that was the tell-tale sign that the show was over. To say that I was disappointed would be a gross understatement. I was really upset as were my husband and the several friends we were with, as were all the people around us, especially the older fans that knew better.

I have to give props to the other members of the band for playing the hell out of the songs to compensate for Memford being M.I.A.. I can't believe I'm saying this since I always think concerts are too loud, but this show wasn't loud enough. At times, I could barely hear Adam, especially during the real poignant moments in the songs, which is really important to me since I love Adam so much. Like someone else said, Memford sang less than 50% of the show and when he did sing, I could barely hear him and it was muffled. Danny was amazing as always as was Justin. I love how Justin moves as he plays. What a cute guy. The light show was nice, but I have to say that I was so frustrated by Memford that I often had my eyes closed in order to focus on the music, to try to stay into the groove. I kept feeling a bad vibe from the stage. It seems there was something else going on other than Memford being ill. I could feel it.

The crowd was fairly well behaved. There were a few frat-boy like drunk fucktards, but far less than previous shows. Thank the universe for that. But how about that exit from the south gates? What the fuck? It took us FOREVER to just walk from the gate to the car. And from the car to the highway? Pfffttt....Just the icing on the cake to a disappointing show. The crowd leaving the south gates was mostly somber and subdued. And that tripe about there not being enough people there? HA! Whatever. That place was packed. There were waaaay more people there than the last Wooodlands show. That lawn area was a sea of people.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 11:20 AM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

I had a lot of fun last night, despite the lack of vocals. We got to hear many, many instrumentals of the songs. Everything seemed alright until Maynard said, "What!?" instead of "Riiiight!" during Stinkfist. Then during Jambi during the lines "Shine on forever, shine on benevolent son..." he sang that part really low and then didn't sing during "Silent legions save your poison..." That's when I knew Maynard had gotten even sicker than I had read he was a couple of nights ok. Then, as the others have said, he didn't sing ANY hard parts after that. Skipped most choruses to the songs. The only time he did something hard was the scream towards the end of Rosetta Stoned. Poor guy. I really hope the next time they come around he's in good condition. Tool kind of owes Houston for the last two shows they've played here. I was REALLY looking forward to Wings for Marie/10,000 Days, but I understand Maynard couldn't pull it off like he wanted to. Right in Two was a good ender for 9-11 and he sang all the words until after the jam in the middle, he stayed silent at the end of the song. I would also like to add that Maynard still sounded stellar a lot of the time he was singing and the band KICKED ASS!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 11:22 AM   #37
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitrie View Post
Alright l feel like it is important for the Tool fans to know what really went on during last night's performance. I am a security guard at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion...
Mitrie, was the treat of a walk-off the reason they closed concessions? I was in line during Schism when they shut it all down. I thought it was EXTREEMLY lame that we couldn't even buy water. Heck, I was at the show with a friend and his wife - who had just delivered a baby Wednesday! Now that, my friends, is a hard core TOOL fan. ....and this poor new mommy couldn't even get a cold drink of water.... that, combined with a sub-par show really left me feeling dissapointed.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 11:33 AM   #38
Level 1 - Lurker

In regards to Maynard bitchin about not enough people being there and thats why he left... I am not doubting that what you or your supervisor was told was what infact you were told but I cant believe that. I mean I havn't been to the past couple shows of the tour but post after post has been saying that Maynard has been getting sick. Were every one of these shows not "full enough" so he decided to put on the cherade about being sick for a couple of nights. Also if he was so pissed off about not enough people being there I think that Maynards history would show us that he would NOT appologize for being sick to the crowd. If he is pissed enough to want to leave the stage then he is pissed enough to not even think about apologies. Finally, why would they cancel the San Antonio show if he was just angry? That show is sold out too, is Maynard just expecting it to be a disappointing turnout? I think that you were told what you were told and ur boss was too but I dont think that Maynard would do that. Nor do I think that he would bitch about the turnout. Maybe he was pissed that the show wasnt going how he wanted, aggrivated, and disgruntled because he was sick and has been. Because of all of that I think that he could have made a comment about the turnout maybe say "this show doesnt look sold out," or "At least its not a full house so everyone wont hear me sing this way (sarcastically or not)." If he said something to that affect and then when he left this stage the security nearby could have blown it out of proportion. I just think Maynard is above all of that. My two cents
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #39
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitrie View Post
Well, I obviously did not expect you guys to believe something like that immediately. Let me point out a couple of things. I've worked at the Pavilion for more than 4 years. We have had way heavier and more violent crowds than this and I have NEVER been told anything regarding a riot. My department has a supervisor who is very close to the employees of our department. We only have about 20 people working at each show under my supervisor, she's not the kind to BS about something like that. My supervisor was standing next to me and telling me what was going on as she heard it on her radio. Also, elaborating a lie like this would be pointless, it would have been easier to tell us that the whole deal was caused by him being sick. It definitely wasn't to keep us on guard, because they specifically told us "if a riot breaks out, DON'T STOP ANYBODY FROM DOING ANYTHING, just get to a safe place and let law-enforcement handle it".

Optimistic, you point out the interlude before Right in Two. When I saw this, to me it looked like Maynard didn't want to return to stage and Adam kept going back and forth to the side of the stage to talk to somebody. This is just my perception of it though, I didn't get any info about that.

PS: I might be wrong about him not singing, so disregard that comment

Dude, people who don't work directly for the band always get some lame story that is never true.

They cancelled tonight's show.....not because Maynard is a drama queen, because he is fucking sick. I know its fun to sometimes believe lies, scandal and drama but its much more intelligent to believe the obvious truth.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-12-2006, 11:39 AM   #40
Level 3 - Talker

Would it be possible or even worth getting a petition together or a letter of formal complaint to the management of the band, the pavilion (or any one of its many sponsors)...??

Granted, I had a great time as I was one of the drunk fucktards previously mentioned, but I kept it down and didnt get too rowdy--just had a great buzz-- (Like actually respecting the moment of silence when asked for by Maynard)-- I respected that quite a bit, however I didnt respect what the hell happened last night with the concessions, lack of lyrics and overall very subpar show (not performance--the musicians were spot on.) It did definitely lack a powerful sound as I have heard concerts there that have been way more intense--sound speaking.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: