Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
Neill Fraser
07-31-2003, 08:52 PM

Recorded this a couple of days ago. Everyone I've shown it to has been pretty impressed but I'd like to see what others think. It can be found at http://www.untool.net/live/The%20Easy.mp3
Please post all comments (good or bad!) in this thread.

Thanks,
Neill
Old 07-31-2003, 08:52 PM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Critique wanted on new song

Recorded this a couple of days ago. Everyone I've shown it to has been pretty impressed but I'd like to see what others think. It can be found at http://www.untool.net/live/The%20Easy.mp3
Please post all comments (good or bad!) in this thread.

Thanks,
Neill
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
furiousgeorge
07-31-2003, 08:54 PM

damn dude thats pretty good. is that you singing? im certainly impressed.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:54 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 44
damn dude thats pretty good. is that you singing? im certainly impressed.
07-31-2003, 09:16 PM

Yeah every sound on that recording is me. Any specific comments?
Old 07-31-2003, 09:16 PM   #3

Yeah every sound on that recording is me. Any specific comments?
thaddeus
07-31-2003, 09:32 PM

that's a really cool song.
the only critisism i have is that the song picks up tempo at the end but the drumming seems to drag a bit. that problem (for me at least) happens when i record the drums before everything else without full working out the intricacies of the tempo and volume first.
everything else about it is grand though.

(shameless self promotion starts here)

i did my album with only acoustic guitar on a lot of songs. i think our stuff has very similar moods, although mine has no words just some humming here and there. but i like what you do and i think you might like what i do. so please check it out in the "herniated disc" thread.

dwayne welty
Old 07-31-2003, 09:32 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Re: Critique wanted on new song

that's a really cool song.
the only critisism i have is that the song picks up tempo at the end but the drumming seems to drag a bit. that problem (for me at least) happens when i record the drums before everything else without full working out the intricacies of the tempo and volume first.
everything else about it is grand though.

(shameless self promotion starts here)

i did my album with only acoustic guitar on a lot of songs. i think our stuff has very similar moods, although mine has no words just some humming here and there. but i like what you do and i think you might like what i do. so please check it out in the "herniated disc" thread.

dwayne welty
juniortour's Avatar juniortour
08-01-2003, 11:59 AM

I'll start with the positive: The vocals are really good. The overall mood of the song is really cool, too. But the song is too close to "Obscured" by The Smashing Pumpkins for me to enjoy. Same exact strum, almost exact opening chord progression. Sorry, dude it just doesn't work for me when I've heard something that sounds the same before. I'm sure your other songs sound good, but this one sounds like I've heard it before.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:59 AM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
I'll start with the positive: The vocals are really good. The overall mood of the song is really cool, too. But the song is too close to "Obscured" by The Smashing Pumpkins for me to enjoy. Same exact strum, almost exact opening chord progression. Sorry, dude it just doesn't work for me when I've heard something that sounds the same before. I'm sure your other songs sound good, but this one sounds like I've heard it before.
Neill Fraser
08-01-2003, 01:01 PM

I only really see a slight connection in the intro. At least from my perspective they're very different songs.

- Neill
Old 08-01-2003, 01:01 PM   #6

I only really see a slight connection in the intro. At least from my perspective they're very different songs.

- Neill
Digital Dreamer
08-01-2003, 07:24 PM

i really like this song man... would you have a problem with me burning it to a cd?
Old 08-01-2003, 07:24 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8
i really like this song man... would you have a problem with me burning it to a cd?
08-01-2003, 11:33 PM

Yeah no problem although wait a day or two cause Im gonna put a better mix online soon. Will advise where to find it.

- Neill
Old 08-01-2003, 11:33 PM   #8

Yeah no problem although wait a day or two cause Im gonna put a better mix online soon. Will advise where to find it.

- Neill
Neill Fraser
08-02-2003, 02:59 AM

Remix: http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...=3256&alid=692

Vocals are a lot clearer. Lowered bass a bit.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:59 AM   #9

Remix: http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...=3256&alid=692

Vocals are a lot clearer. Lowered bass a bit.
Elgyn's Avatar Elgyn
08-02-2003, 11:56 PM

Heya,
I listened to both version, and the second one is definately an improvement - I can hear the vocals.
I like this song, its definately got something going for it. I really like your singing... particularly "falling all arou-hound me", did you back up your vocals?
I've gotta say, this song has a feeling similar to the acoustic APC songs (particularly 3 libras). Its just the sound you've got on the bass which does it, and its not a bad thing - I really like it. Have you heard those live versions?

I agree with thaddeus, the percussion seems to fall away at the end, and although it is only quite faint (in the background), it tends to be a little offputting. Thats very light criticism though, I thought your song was nice as.
Keep it up.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:56 PM   #10
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 318
Heya,
I listened to both version, and the second one is definately an improvement - I can hear the vocals.
I like this song, its definately got something going for it. I really like your singing... particularly "falling all arou-hound me", did you back up your vocals?
I've gotta say, this song has a feeling similar to the acoustic APC songs (particularly 3 libras). Its just the sound you've got on the bass which does it, and its not a bad thing - I really like it. Have you heard those live versions?

I agree with thaddeus, the percussion seems to fall away at the end, and although it is only quite faint (in the background), it tends to be a little offputting. Thats very light criticism though, I thought your song was nice as.
Keep it up.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply