Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
Spoon's Avatar Spoon
10-12-2005, 10:43 AM

My band (Eight Minute Veil) has finally upped some demo recordings. I'd love for you guys to check them out and give me your compliments, criticisms, assenine remarks, and whatever else you feel like typing.

You can get the tracks at www.eightminuteveil.com then click on music.

These were done by us, no help, no money, just computers and mics. Somewhat lo-fi but they serve their purpose. Thanks for listening.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:43 AM   #1
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 50
Lend Me Your Ears...

My band (Eight Minute Veil) has finally upped some demo recordings. I'd love for you guys to check them out and give me your compliments, criticisms, assenine remarks, and whatever else you feel like typing.

You can get the tracks at www.eightminuteveil.com then click on music.

These were done by us, no help, no money, just computers and mics. Somewhat lo-fi but they serve their purpose. Thanks for listening.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Ktuluvic's Avatar Ktuluvic
10-12-2005, 11:09 AM

Good stuff spoon. The production quality is good, especially for only computers and mics. Lion's fee was decent, the vocals reminded me of pink floyd a little. Although the intro didn't really fit with the rest of the song, I kept expecting you guys to bust out into something like that opening riff again. I dug measure too, the transitions weren't anything fancy, but they're effective. I've yet to listen to the third song though.

That's about enough out of you, God. Banned.
---Paraflux
Old 10-12-2005, 11:09 AM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 1540
Re: Lend Me Your Ears...

Good stuff spoon. The production quality is good, especially for only computers and mics. Lion's fee was decent, the vocals reminded me of pink floyd a little. Although the intro didn't really fit with the rest of the song, I kept expecting you guys to bust out into something like that opening riff again. I dug measure too, the transitions weren't anything fancy, but they're effective. I've yet to listen to the third song though.

That's about enough out of you, God. Banned.
---Paraflux
Ocelot199's Avatar Ocelot199
10-12-2005, 11:09 AM

I'm hearing a lot of Rage, Manson, and old school Tool in here, and I really like it. Pretty damn solid. I'd buy a CD if you guys ever release one. Cool... very cool.

Which guy are you?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:09 AM   #3
On Probation

Bincount™: 8929

I'm hearing a lot of Rage, Manson, and old school Tool in here, and I really like it. Pretty damn solid. I'd buy a CD if you guys ever release one. Cool... very cool.

Which guy are you?
Isac Khrondor's Avatar Isac Khrondor
10-12-2005, 11:17 AM

Im still on the first song.

It's allright, I just don't like the vocals, and it's a bit to simmilar Rage.. and even.. LIMP BIZKIT!!
Old 10-12-2005, 11:17 AM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 145

It's allright, I just don't like the vocals, and it's a bit to simmilar Rage.. and even.. LIMP BIZKIT!!
Spoon's Avatar Spoon
10-12-2005, 11:18 AM

Thanks for checking it out guys, I appreciate it. It's good to have feedback, especially from folks here who generally dig the same tunes as me.

Ktuluvic - That intro on Lion's Fee is sort of an abstract, though the lead guitar line is used again during the end 'solo'. Measure has changed a lot since these recordings were done, considerably the lead guitar 'solo' at the end, I hate the one on the recording.

Ocelot - As you can probably tell from my last comment, I'm the lead guitar player.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:18 AM   #5
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Thanks for checking it out guys, I appreciate it. It's good to have feedback, especially from folks here who generally dig the same tunes as me.

Ktuluvic - That intro on Lion's Fee is sort of an abstract, though the lead guitar line is used again during the end 'solo'. Measure has changed a lot since these recordings were done, considerably the lead guitar 'solo' at the end, I hate the one on the recording.

Ocelot - As you can probably tell from my last comment, I'm the lead guitar player.
Spoon's Avatar Spoon
10-12-2005, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isac Khrondor

Isac, thanks for checking them out. The vocals are hit and miss with people, you have to like the rap-rock style or you don't. Even I am somewhere inbetween. Our singer is pretty critical of himself and is a self-declared poor singer, but he tries :) If you can't tell, he spent a lot of his youth as a singer in a Rage cover band...
Old 10-12-2005, 11:19 AM   #6
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isac Khrondor

Isac, thanks for checking them out. The vocals are hit and miss with people, you have to like the rap-rock style or you don't. Even I am somewhere inbetween. Our singer is pretty critical of himself and is a self-declared poor singer, but he tries :) If you can't tell, he spent a lot of his youth as a singer in a Rage cover band...
Ocelot199's Avatar Ocelot199
10-12-2005, 11:21 AM

Nawww, really? I actually like the way he sings, and I can't stand Rage. Him > De LaRoche
Old 10-12-2005, 11:21 AM   #7
On Probation

Bincount™: 8929

Nawww, really? I actually like the way he sings, and I can't stand Rage. Him > De LaRoche
Isac Khrondor's Avatar Isac Khrondor
10-12-2005, 11:22 AM

Ok, the Lion's Fee song is pretty good, kind of reminds me of Paul D'Amours band right now.

Yeah, I do like some rap rock, but I dunno, i'm just real fussy I guess.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:22 AM   #8
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 145

Ok, the Lion's Fee song is pretty good, kind of reminds me of Paul D'Amours band right now.

Yeah, I do like some rap rock, but I dunno, i'm just real fussy I guess.
Spoon's Avatar Spoon
10-12-2005, 11:22 AM

^@ Oc...
I'll pass that along, he'll appreciate it. I didn't mean to say that he simply tries to sound like Zach in our band, just that a lot of his experience singing is from that style. With us, he does vary it up (just look at Lion's Fee)... So that's where the roots are from, but he's branched out.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:22 AM   #9
Level 9 - Obstreperous

^@ Oc...
I'll pass that along, he'll appreciate it. I didn't mean to say that he simply tries to sound like Zach in our band, just that a lot of his experience singing is from that style. With us, he does vary it up (just look at Lion's Fee)... So that's where the roots are from, but he's branched out.
Spoon's Avatar Spoon
10-13-2005, 07:40 PM

*bump*

thanks for checking these out guys, I appreciate any comments you may have
Old 10-13-2005, 07:40 PM   #10
Level 9 - Obstreperous

*bump*

thanks for checking these out guys, I appreciate any comments you may have
Tyro
10-14-2005, 11:40 AM

A beautiful day in the universe is by far my favorite. The vocals are the best, to me, on this track.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:40 AM   #11
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 101

A beautiful day in the universe is by far my favorite. The vocals are the best, to me, on this track.
10-14-2005, 12:20 PM

i really like it. it sounds pretty good already, but i think once you get into a better studio or whatever, it would sound incredible. good job. let us know when your cd comes out.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:20 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

i really like it. it sounds pretty good already, but i think once you get into a better studio or whatever, it would sound incredible. good job. let us know when your cd comes out.
10-15-2005, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelot199
lol @ rochey
Old 10-15-2005, 10:53 PM   #13
+1 Cloak of Dan Resistance

Bincount™: 7878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelot199
lol @ rochey
Spoon's Avatar Spoon
10-15-2005, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el rancho ovulate
lol @ rochey
what?
Old 10-15-2005, 11:51 PM   #14
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by el rancho ovulate
lol @ rochey
what?
jakesstuff_69's Avatar jakesstuff_69
10-16-2005, 07:19 AM

I listened to the first song, the music, and instruments are good, But I don't like the vocals. They sound like he grasping for air and not flowing with the music. And I prefer someone who either has a scratchy voice or a singing voice, not a mix. Other than vocals I liked it.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:19 AM   #15
Ski Free

Bincount™: 1219

I listened to the first song, the music, and instruments are good, But I don't like the vocals. They sound like he grasping for air and not flowing with the music. And I prefer someone who either has a scratchy voice or a singing voice, not a mix. Other than vocals I liked it.
Spoon's Avatar Spoon
10-16-2005, 07:44 AM

Cool, thanks for checking them out man.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:44 AM   #16
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Cool, thanks for checking them out man.
jakesstuff_69's Avatar jakesstuff_69
10-16-2005, 03:03 PM

Second song, I don't think the intro fits. Again the vocals sound messed up. And there seemed like something wrong with the piano/keyboard when it was doing chords. But, the rest of the song sounded nice.
The third song, The insturments compliment eachother nicely in this song. There just seems to be something I don't like about the vocals at parts. Something in the tone of it sounds wrong and doesn't compliment the music that well. I think you should turn up the treble on the vocals and put some effect over them. The singer doesn't sound confident at all. and everything sounds shaky.
the words in all of the songs are nice, just delivered in a way that doesn't go with the music's tone.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:03 PM   #17
Ski Free

Bincount™: 1219

Second song, I don't think the intro fits. Again the vocals sound messed up. And there seemed like something wrong with the piano/keyboard when it was doing chords. But, the rest of the song sounded nice.
The third song, The insturments compliment eachother nicely in this song. There just seems to be something I don't like about the vocals at parts. Something in the tone of it sounds wrong and doesn't compliment the music that well. I think you should turn up the treble on the vocals and put some effect over them. The singer doesn't sound confident at all. and everything sounds shaky.
the words in all of the songs are nice, just delivered in a way that doesn't go with the music's tone.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply