Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
Chaos Theory's Avatar Chaos Theory
10-29-2005, 06:16 AM

Alright, I've got some money coming my way this year, so I'd like some suggestions on what I should get in order to make a moderately decent recording rig.

The things I already have are a Fender 25R Frontman amp, a crappy computer microphone, and a laptop with FL Studio, Cakewalk Sonar and Cakewalk Guitar Tracks, and a decent free audio editor called Audacity.

Specifically, I'm looking for what type of microphone I should get and how I should set it up for use in recording guitar tracks.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:16 AM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 295
Recording setup.

Alright, I've got some money coming my way this year, so I'd like some suggestions on what I should get in order to make a moderately decent recording rig.

The things I already have are a Fender 25R Frontman amp, a crappy computer microphone, and a laptop with FL Studio, Cakewalk Sonar and Cakewalk Guitar Tracks, and a decent free audio editor called Audacity.

Specifically, I'm looking for what type of microphone I should get and how I should set it up for use in recording guitar tracks.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
OftenLost's Avatar OftenLost
10-29-2005, 11:24 AM

Well, decent is quite expensive. Just to record you will need a preamp and d/a converter, and a mic is always a good idea too. But, since you just want to do guitar tricks, go get yourself a nice DI box and Amplitude.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:24 AM   #2
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 703
Re: Recording setup.

Well, decent is quite expensive. Just to record you will need a preamp and d/a converter, and a mic is always a good idea too. But, since you just want to do guitar tricks, go get yourself a nice DI box and Amplitude.
vesica_piscis's Avatar vesica_piscis
11-01-2005, 09:05 AM

If you aren't lookin to spend heaps:
Edirol UA-25 or equivalent usb/firewire mic preamp audio interface.
and a decent couple of mics - a Shure sm57 for micing amps (I've even used em for vocals) and a condensor mic too, they are the shit for vox and acoustic guitars.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:05 AM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6
Re: Recording setup.

If you aren't lookin to spend heaps:
Edirol UA-25 or equivalent usb/firewire mic preamp audio interface.
and a decent couple of mics - a Shure sm57 for micing amps (I've even used em for vocals) and a condensor mic too, they are the shit for vox and acoustic guitars.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply