opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Arts & Crafts
User Name
Password
Old 07-24-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Tool Tribute Website

Being a newbie here, I am not sure if this kind of thing is welcome but the rules seem to allow for ONE post to show off / promote a website.

Anyway, I am in a tool tribute band based in the Pacific Northwest. I put together a basic website to promote the band. I created all of the graphics and and added some javascript animations to make the page a bit more interesting. There are actually two small easter eggs that can be found if you mess around with the "hand" graphic.

Comments, thoughts, questions are appreciated. Also, please check out some of the videos of our live performances at Hell's Kitchen in Tacoma, WA.

http://46and2oly.com/
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:13 AM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 89
Re: Tool Tribute Website

Uhm....well, assuming we're allowed to vote on the site itself?

Small easter eggs? If you make the hands look at the top right the whole thing will glow red. The same happens in the oppposite, lower left--if you can't get it, keep trying, it'll happen! And I believe it only happens once each position per refresh.

Very cool site, for a basic layout! If I were up there I would certainly come and see y'all, but I'm down in Texas : ) Is it just me, or is the tempo a little fast in Schism?

Tool - June 20, 2010 - A Perfect Circle - July 22, 2011 - Tool - January 21, 2012 -
Nine Inch Nails - November 5, 2013 - Skinny Puppy - January 30, 2014 - Tool - March 24, 2014 - Tool - January 13, 2016
Old 07-25-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOut34 View Post
Uhm....well, assuming we're allowed to vote on the site itself?

Small easter eggs? If you make the hands look at the top right the whole thing will glow red. The same happens in the oppposite, lower left--if you can't get it, keep trying, it'll happen! And I believe it only happens once each position per refresh.
It does more than glow red but you have to piss it off first. ;) Hint: 'I need you to feel this'
Quote:

Very cool site, for a basic layout! If I were up there I would certainly come and see y'all, but I'm down in Texas : ) Is it just me, or is the tempo a little fast in Schism?
Thanks. Schism probably was a little fast at that show. We also made plenty of mistakes, mostly due to nerves. Part of it was the PA system was screwed up that night and we were having trouble hearing each other on stage.

Last edited by 46&2oly; 07-25-2010 at 09:52 AM..
Old 07-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Haha, I'ma poke it. As you can see, I'm a newbie here as well, so thanks for being cool :)

Tool - June 20, 2010 - A Perfect Circle - July 22, 2011 - Tool - January 21, 2012 -
Nine Inch Nails - November 5, 2013 - Skinny Puppy - January 30, 2014 - Tool - March 24, 2014 - Tool - January 13, 2016
Old 07-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Hahaha!!! I just found it!!! That's fucking awesome, dude XD Good deal.

--sorry for double posting

Last edited by SpiralOut34; 07-25-2010 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Double post
Old 08-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1385

You guys need a new bassist. And a new direction
Old 08-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitee View Post
You guys need a new bassist. And a new direction
Wow, that is pretty harsh and not very constructive. But I am interested in why you would make this statement. Could you elaborate?
Old 08-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous

you need a direction because you're not doing anything creative by playing something someone else wrote. Nothing wrong with covering a song, but I've never seen the point of a tribute band. It's pointless
Old 08-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

no offense, but is everything pointless that you dont understand?

its a good website, a good tribute, and a nice guy. he is in a phase, and if he is in it his whole life, who the fuck cares? wut are you doing creative, other than barely surviving?
Old 08-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
Level 9 - Obstreperous

None taken

I do understand it. That's why I made a 'judgment.' I try to refrain from doing so if I don't understand something. But, you've a point, I suppose.

I write and I make my own music. That's what I do that's creative. Whether it sucks or not is irrelevant. It came from me. That's art, not redoing something someone else has already done a thousand times before.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #11
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

creativity comes from wut makes you happy, not others.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
you need a direction because you're not doing anything creative by playing something someone else wrote. Nothing wrong with covering a song, but I've never seen the point of a tribute band. It's pointless
Thank you for the explanation. At one point in my life I probably made similar statements and I actually appreciate where you are coming from.

About 20 years ago I started an original band called slugbait. It was trio I formed with two friends who had grown up listening to a mix of progressive rock, punk, new wave and metal. We were inspired by the wave of grunge music that was sweeping the country, wrote some cool stuff and played out for a few years. Our music may or may not be to your taste but then there is no accounting for taste. Over a period of three years I think we collectively earned less than $100 and a bit of free beer.
http://www.myspace.com/slugbait1991

Slugbait went into hibernation by the mid 90's and has only occasionally reformed. After Slugbait I stopped playing live and focused on writing and recording in my home studio. Again, it may not be to your taste but I think it is pretty creative and original material. It is also very eclectic and I never really settled into any given style.
http://www.myspace.com/ntxchrisgizzi

Keep in mind that music has always been a side project for me and takes third place behind my family and my career. I am an architect, so to be perfectly frank it is extremely unlikely that music will ever be anything more than a hobby for me. I have enjoyed recording but frankly my chops were getting pretty poor because I was not writing technically challenging material. About three years ago I started doing open mic nights to build up my chops and to meet like minded musicians.

Anyway, about a year and a half ago, a friend of mine who also does open mics approached me on the topic of playing guitar in his newly formed Tool tribute. At the time my experience with Tool was limited to maybe five of their more popular tracks. Thats right I'm a POSER!

It is likely that I would never have gotten into Tool if my friend Saint had not invited me to join this band. But that event has transformed me into an ardent fan (perhaps even a disciple) of their music. I guarantee that my experience with Tool is different from the average Tool fan. It is one thing to listen to and appreciate a band. It is an entirely different thing to prevail towards learning to play every note and nuance of their music and to pull that off in an ensemble. It is far more difficult to pull this music off live than simply playing one instrument with the CD.

Anyway, are tribute bands lame? Sure they are.

But I think that for a Lame Tribute band, we kick serious ass.

I would prefer to do all originals but the support for live original music is pretty weak and the $$ is not much of a motivation. And there is no way I am gonna play "Brown eyed girl" in some generic tavern band.

Last edited by 46&2oly; 08-21-2010 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: Fix Links
Old 08-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamminsalmon View Post
no offense, but is everything pointless that you dont understand?

its a good website, a good tribute, and a nice guy. he is in a phase, and if he is in it his whole life, who the fuck cares?
Thanks.

I appreciate your support!
Old 08-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
None taken
I write and I make my own music. That's what I do that's creative. Whether it sucks or not is irrelevant. It came from me. That's art, not redoing something someone else has already done a thousand times before.
When I was 18 I had many discussions with friends that had a similar flavor to the statement above.

My first band insisted on never doing any covers and that everything we would do was to be totally original. We threw out most of the stuff we wrote and eventually I parted ways with the band. I think they eventually managed to pull together maybe a half a dozen mediocre tracks before they imploded.

Since then I have had a long journey that has involved study of music from all over the world, visual arts and architecture. Including writing and recording originals, building my own guitar and many other works of art. In that time I have come to appreciate that very few things are truly original. Almost all art or music is an expression of a moment in time and most of it is derived from the art and music that came before it.

It is actually naive to assume that you are doing something totally original. Chances are someone has done something very similar and probably a lot more sophisticated long before you ever started.

There is also a huge gap between writing music and performing it live. Originality may seem like a critical thing to the average listener. But when you are performing a song for the 20th time, the difference between it being your original song verses someone elses becomes less of a big deal. What matters than is the quality of the material, the quality of your performance and the connection you make to your audience.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #15
Level 9 - Obstreperous

I apologize. you're both correct. I spoke too quickly (I blame it being the internet).

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: