Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
Zim
09-17-2005, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerCombustion
well i just figured we'd learn how to mix and match audio by starting off doing covers- they already have song structure, tempo, key signature, before we run into completely creating something new. just a suggestion-im up for anything.
I thought of this very same idea some years ago when I was in a chatroom. I wanted to find of any news of Tool, and I happened to come to the message boards. When I'm on my own computer I'll d/l some of those samples of everyone's proposed contributions and whatnot, and tell you all what I think.
I play guitar(s), bass, drums, keyboards, and some other stuff. I'm in a band right now, but it's heavier, more agressive, stuff. Usually when I'm on my own turf at home I put together a lot more melodic and tranquil style music. I like the idea you are all talking about here, and I think the concept of different people's takes on songs as they are actually being created is an awesome idea, as the same song will inspire different feelings among those that are going to progress it, and the different versions of the progression thereafter would be expressions in musical form of what the song is/was to the individual(s) that made it in the first place.
It's a great idea, but I don't think NIN covers would be the way to start it off. -Sorry I rambled for awhile before I got the intended meaning of my post. lol
That's just my opinion though, and I would like to get in on this.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:21 PM   #81
Zim
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: Who wants to make a band?

Quote:
well i just figured we'd learn how to mix and match audio by starting off doing covers- they already have song structure, tempo, key signature, before we run into completely creating something new. just a suggestion-im up for anything.
I thought of this very same idea some years ago when I was in a chatroom. I wanted to find of any news of Tool, and I happened to come to the message boards. When I'm on my own computer I'll d/l some of those samples of everyone's proposed contributions and whatnot, and tell you all what I think.
I play guitar(s), bass, drums, keyboards, and some other stuff. I'm in a band right now, but it's heavier, more agressive, stuff. Usually when I'm on my own turf at home I put together a lot more melodic and tranquil style music. I like the idea you are all talking about here, and I think the concept of different people's takes on songs as they are actually being created is an awesome idea, as the same song will inspire different feelings among those that are going to progress it, and the different versions of the progression thereafter would be expressions in musical form of what the song is/was to the individual(s) that made it in the first place.
It's a great idea, but I don't think NIN covers would be the way to start it off. -Sorry I rambled for awhile before I got the intended meaning of my post. lol
That's just my opinion though, and I would like to get in on this.
09-17-2005, 06:37 PM

Personally, I feel that we aren't going to get anywhere. Who in their right mind would waste one of their good song/riff ideas for an internet band, when you can save it and call it your own? Who? No one. That's who.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:37 PM   #82
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 101

Personally, I feel that we aren't going to get anywhere. Who in their right mind would waste one of their good song/riff ideas for an internet band, when you can save it and call it your own? Who? No one. That's who.
09-17-2005, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro
Well hey, I'm not going to give up any of my material for this that I've already recorded and is said and done, it's mine. But it'd be no skin of my back to spend 30 minutes doing something I love doing to create something new to submit, or work/rework someone else's in a collaboration. I usually trash a good 4 concept works a day, maybe keep one good melody I come up with, and that's not because the other's are bad, it's because there's no time to follow through with all the ideas. I'd just be giving up those ideas that were free to me to begin with, for other people to iron them out more, I think it'd be great.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:52 PM   #83
Zim
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Well hey, I'm not going to give up any of my material for this that I've already recorded and is said and done, it's mine. But it'd be no skin of my back to spend 30 minutes doing something I love doing to create something new to submit, or work/rework someone else's in a collaboration. I usually trash a good 4 concept works a day, maybe keep one good melody I come up with, and that's not because the other's are bad, it's because there's no time to follow through with all the ideas. I'd just be giving up those ideas that were free to me to begin with, for other people to iron them out more, I think it'd be great.
09-18-2005, 09:09 AM

Quote:
you must be really scrounging for good ideas if you need to hoard them. im not looking for a career here - if i have a good riff i have no problem using it here.
I can't live the button-down life like you. I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky odors -- oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Andy DV?"
Old 09-18-2005, 09:09 AM   #84
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 92

Quote:
you must be really scrounging for good ideas if you need to hoard them. im not looking for a career here - if i have a good riff i have no problem using it here.
I can't live the button-down life like you. I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky odors -- oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Andy DV?"
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
aeon78's Avatar aeon78
09-18-2005, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I happy to keep contributing ideas. I've only been playing guitar around 8 months and I'm not in a band so I don't really have anything to do with them atm. I think the idea has awesome potential and it would be a shame to give up on it that easily.

Hey Zim, I think you've got the right idea. I be interested to hear your take on some of the stuff I've recorded for this purpose. It's at http://www.angelfire.com/ab9/sketch/
Old 09-18-2005, 04:33 PM   #85
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
I happy to keep contributing ideas. I've only been playing guitar around 8 months and I'm not in a band so I don't really have anything to do with them atm. I think the idea has awesome potential and it would be a shame to give up on it that easily.

Hey Zim, I think you've got the right idea. I be interested to hear your take on some of the stuff I've recorded for this purpose. It's at http://www.angelfire.com/ab9/sketch/
Zim
09-18-2005, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon78

You obviously have some other musical background besides guitar if you've only been playing for 8 months and you came up with this stuff, I think it's got potential. Rec3 was a little iffy, but I could definately do something with those other ones...
I'll mess around a little with them over the next couple days among my other projects and see what happens, and post up a link or a way to get them back. I'll try and get somethin' going on of my own online again sometime soon too so everyone can check it out and give up some feedback or maybe contribute to the music.
Thanks for the listen either way man, this's what's it's all about.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:34 PM   #86
Zim
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon78

You obviously have some other musical background besides guitar if you've only been playing for 8 months and you came up with this stuff, I think it's got potential. Rec3 was a little iffy, but I could definately do something with those other ones...
I'll mess around a little with them over the next couple days among my other projects and see what happens, and post up a link or a way to get them back. I'll try and get somethin' going on of my own online again sometime soon too so everyone can check it out and give up some feedback or maybe contribute to the music.
Thanks for the listen either way man, this's what's it's all about.
09-19-2005, 06:07 AM

I'm just saying, how are we going to create an entire song based on a riff here or there. Someone would need to contribute more than a 20 second sample. But hey, I'm fucking glad that you guys are willing to do this, I think it's awesome.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:07 AM   #87
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 101

I'm just saying, how are we going to create an entire song based on a riff here or there. Someone would need to contribute more than a 20 second sample. But hey, I'm fucking glad that you guys are willing to do this, I think it's awesome.
09-19-2005, 09:50 AM

Quote:
yeah, we'll definately need to expand beyond the 20-second barrier to get anything done.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:50 AM   #88
Zim
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
yeah, we'll definately need to expand beyond the 20-second barrier to get anything done.
09-20-2005, 11:53 PM

Hey, I recorded something today that could have potential for building on. I mucked around with a few guitar overdubs on this one and although the production is somewhat experimental, think it sounds pretty cool nonetheless. If anyone has any ideas for improvement or where to go with the music I would be grateful. Cheers.

http://www.angelfire.com/ab9/sketch/
Old 09-20-2005, 11:53 PM   #89
Level 3 - Talker

Hey, I recorded something today that could have potential for building on. I mucked around with a few guitar overdubs on this one and although the production is somewhat experimental, think it sounds pretty cool nonetheless. If anyone has any ideas for improvement or where to go with the music I would be grateful. Cheers.

http://www.angelfire.com/ab9/sketch/
aeon78's Avatar aeon78
09-21-2005, 10:09 PM

I re-recorded the thing I put up yesterday and changed one of the riffs around, so it sounds a fair bit better now.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:09 PM   #90
Level 3 - Talker

I re-recorded the thing I put up yesterday and changed one of the riffs around, so it sounds a fair bit better now.
jakesstuff_69's Avatar jakesstuff_69
09-24-2005, 10:13 PM

Whats going on now? A band? I play guitar and bass, I can easily make something that fits into most stylesof music. But, I don't have recording euipment. If I hear something, I could write a tab for it.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:13 PM   #91
Ski Free

Bincount™: 1219

Whats going on now? A band? I play guitar and bass, I can easily make something that fits into most stylesof music. But, I don't have recording euipment. If I hear something, I could write a tab for it.
magnolia's Avatar magnolia
09-29-2005, 04:45 PM

Quote:
last but not least lets not forget pro art. any help on mixing/mastering would be excellent.

i could do some crazy post-production on a few tracks as well as some guitar (whatever needs filling out). I have a few good vocal, percussion, and guitar compression programs that can turn the worst recordings into something that sounds studio.. although it is much easier with decent recordings, heh. i have some pretty rad filters too for adding vocal effects and fleshing out the whole soundscape alltogether.

if interested.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:45 PM   #92
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

Quote:
last but not least lets not forget pro art. any help on mixing/mastering would be excellent.

i could do some crazy post-production on a few tracks as well as some guitar (whatever needs filling out). I have a few good vocal, percussion, and guitar compression programs that can turn the worst recordings into something that sounds studio.. although it is much easier with decent recordings, heh. i have some pretty rad filters too for adding vocal effects and fleshing out the whole soundscape alltogether.

if interested.
whalethesecond's Avatar whalethesecond
11-14-2005, 06:00 AM

so is anyone going to start laying down tracks yet?
Old 11-14-2005, 06:00 AM   #93
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 154

so is anyone going to start laying down tracks yet?
01-18-2006, 11:23 PM

Yeah, what happened to this? such a great idea..
I play guitar and sing, but my recording program isn't working right...
But someone needs to light a fire under this ass...
Old 01-18-2006, 11:23 PM   #94
Suicide Booth ID: 19

Bincount™: 209

IC's Avatar IC
01-19-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
tell u what. I (used to be) innercombustion. you make a petition to bring me back, as I have done nothing wrong to be banned, and if I get back, i promise to really start this up.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:41 AM   #95
IC
resident flamer

Bincount™: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
tell u what. I (used to be) innercombustion. you make a petition to bring me back, as I have done nothing wrong to be banned, and if I get back, i promise to really start this up.
01-19-2006, 07:43 PM

I'll pitch in on something. I play guitar, bass, drums (i have an electric set) and I have a groovebox and some recording equipment. TO hear some stuff i've done go here:
www.purevolume.com/prana

ANd yes i try to sing but its fucking horrible.....but anyway, i'm willing to do anything else.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:43 PM   #96
Banned.

Bincount™: 128

I'll pitch in on something. I play guitar, bass, drums (i have an electric set) and I have a groovebox and some recording equipment. TO hear some stuff i've done go here:
www.purevolume.com/prana

ANd yes i try to sing but its fucking horrible.....but anyway, i'm willing to do anything else.
orange.juice's Avatar orange.juice
01-19-2006, 08:59 PM

You can count me in as well. I play bass for four years now, so if there´s noone left with a claim on that part of the band... i would be glad to do it.

I was thinking of exactly that thing, and am surprised a positive way to have found that topic.

This just has to be started somehow.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:59 PM   #97
Banned.

Bincount™: 932

You can count me in as well. I play bass for four years now, so if there´s noone left with a claim on that part of the band... i would be glad to do it.

I was thinking of exactly that thing, and am surprised a positive way to have found that topic.

Prana's Avatar Prana
01-21-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange.juice

Lets get this shit going O.J. For real man, surely we can try something at least, i mean, if it sucks it sucks, but at least we can try.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:26 PM   #98
Banned.

Bincount™: 128

Quote:

Lets get this shit going O.J. For real man, surely we can try something at least, i mean, if it sucks it sucks, but at least we can try.
Noob_Jones's Avatar Noob_Jones
01-21-2006, 06:55 PM

People need to stop waiting for others to make the first move and start posting stuff themselves. It does not matter if it is a single sung verse or a guitar riff we need to just start posting stuff for other people to add to.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:55 PM   #99
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 790

People need to stop waiting for others to make the first move and start posting stuff themselves. It does not matter if it is a single sung verse or a guitar riff we need to just start posting stuff for other people to add to.
Prometheus's Avatar Prometheus
01-23-2006, 06:29 PM

/\ what he said..

like i stated before, my recording shit is all fuckered up, otherwise i'd post something..
Old 01-23-2006, 06:29 PM   #100
Suicide Booth ID: 19

Bincount™: 209

/\ what he said..

like i stated before, my recording shit is all fuckered up, otherwise i'd post something..
DirtyBanana's Avatar DirtyBanana
01-23-2006, 10:54 PM

Someone send me a drumtrack and i will put some insane guitar or bass over it.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:54 PM   #101
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 139

Someone send me a drumtrack and i will put some insane guitar or bass over it.
01-24-2006, 03:11 AM

alright guys, I'll lay down some beats when I get back around 1pm east
Old 01-24-2006, 03:11 AM   #102
IC
resident flamer

alright guys, I'll lay down some beats when I get back around 1pm east
01-24-2006, 03:53 PM

Okay. so you guys have had this crappy internet band thread since september and how much has been accomplished? nothing. Go meet some people, socialize, and start a REAL LIFE BAND.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:53 PM   #103
Kalamawho?

Bincount™: 2333

Okay. so you guys have had this crappy internet band thread since september and how much has been accomplished? nothing. Go meet some people, socialize, and start a REAL LIFE BAND.
IC's Avatar IC
01-27-2006, 02:06 PM

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M8ZHDHQD

alright- thats a little jam i did on drums. nothin special, but its a start
Old 01-27-2006, 02:06 PM   #104
IC
resident flamer

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M8ZHDHQD

alright- thats a little jam i did on drums. nothin special, but its a start
01-27-2006, 06:51 PM

i can´t download from that fuck page. "download limit exceeded" :/
edit: it´s downloading now, still a fuck page.

Last edited by orange.juice; 01-27-2006 at 07:00 PM..
Old 01-27-2006, 06:51 PM   #105
Banned.

i can´t download from that fuck page. "download limit exceeded" :/
edit: it´s downloading now, still a fuck page.

Last edited by orange.juice; 01-27-2006 at 07:00 PM..
Naga Royal Guard
01-27-2006, 06:52 PM

i tried to start a band once, was goin good till one of the main guys was banned
Old 01-27-2006, 06:52 PM   #106
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 16122

i tried to start a band once, was goin good till one of the main guys was banned
01-27-2006, 07:06 PM

Yeah i think a real band is cool to do with some good friends, which of course must have similar musical interests. I tried that some time ago, but we were overextending and scrapped it. Actually i´m trying to get a band together again, but my friends are lazy as fuck. There´s this girl who is really talented at the piano, but she just cannot plead herself to buy one...
Old 01-27-2006, 07:06 PM   #107
Banned.

Yeah i think a real band is cool to do with some good friends, which of course must have similar musical interests. I tried that some time ago, but we were overextending and scrapped it. Actually i´m trying to get a band together again, but my friends are lazy as fuck. There´s this girl who is really talented at the piano, but she just cannot plead herself to buy one...
IC's Avatar IC
01-28-2006, 07:13 PM

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=31272823
alright...now you can download the drum track here. like i said, it was just a little improv, but its something to start with. download it...if you cant guess, its called tdn drum 1.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:13 PM   #108
IC
resident flamer

alright...now you can download the drum track here. like i said, it was just a little improv, but its something to start with. download it...if you cant guess, its called tdn drum 1.
01-31-2006, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Old 01-31-2006, 05:29 AM   #109
IC
resident flamer

Quote:
03-04-2006, 08:33 AM

I just got me a decent mic so i can now add guitar and bass.I will post ist in a few days...
Old 03-04-2006, 08:33 AM   #110
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 139

I just got me a decent mic so i can now add guitar and bass.I will post ist in a few days...
03-08-2006, 01:55 PM

I could do some vocals.... probably not what you guys are looking for....
http://www.myspace.com/khemystri
Old 03-08-2006, 01:55 PM   #111
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

I could do some vocals.... probably not what you guys are looking for....
http://www.myspace.com/khemystri
orange.juice's Avatar orange.juice
03-27-2006, 12:40 PM

this is so... dead.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:40 PM   #112
Banned.

this is so... dead.
Dianoetic's Avatar Dianoetic
03-30-2006, 04:05 AM

Quote:
this is so... dead.
Feel good juicy, youve achived more in 48 hours than they did in 6 months
She, AS PLANNED, sat in the front row, repeatedly stripping her over clothes and completely pulling up her dress and slip and pulling aside her old-fashioned pink BLOOMERS in order to display her ANUS, her CUNT. She repeatedly gesticulated and whispered: "I’ll give it to you to suck! FINISH HIM!" - FRANCIS E. DEC
Old 03-30-2006, 04:05 AM   #113
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 18668

Quote:
this is so... dead.
Feel good juicy, youve achived more in 48 hours than they did in 6 months
She, AS PLANNED, sat in the front row, repeatedly stripping her over clothes and completely pulling up her dress and slip and pulling aside her old-fashioned pink BLOOMERS in order to display her ANUS, her CUNT. She repeatedly gesticulated and whispered: "I’ll give it to you to suck! FINISH HIM!" - FRANCIS E. DEC
Tunguska
04-14-2006, 02:23 PM

Guitarplayer for 14 years, i`m in! If someone want me?
Contact me!!!
Old 04-14-2006, 02:23 PM   #114
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Guitarplayer for 14 years, i`m in! If someone want me?
Contact me!!!
IamEvilHomer
04-20-2006, 10:21 PM

Ok, I took InnerCombustion's drum mp3 and added a few guitar parts to it. I only got about halfway through, but I will keep working on it. It's ok for a few hours work. This was just my first reaction when i heard it, not much thinking involved, so feel free to give me some constructive criticism. And yes, I know this is sloppy, I just threw it together. This is the canvas, not the painting. Anyone have vocals they want to lay down over this?

www.purevolume.com/tdn
Old 04-20-2006, 10:21 PM   #115
Level 2 - Poster

Ok, I took InnerCombustion's drum mp3 and added a few guitar parts to it. I only got about halfway through, but I will keep working on it. It's ok for a few hours work. This was just my first reaction when i heard it, not much thinking involved, so feel free to give me some constructive criticism. And yes, I know this is sloppy, I just threw it together. This is the canvas, not the painting. Anyone have vocals they want to lay down over this?

www.purevolume.com/tdn
Shooo-rook
04-23-2006, 04:45 AM

That sounds pretty good IamEvilHomer. Especially the start. I might have a go at some vocals, but I'm having a bit of computer trouble atm so not sure how long I'll take.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:45 AM   #116
Level 1 - Lurker

That sounds pretty good IamEvilHomer. Especially the start. I might have a go at some vocals, but I'm having a bit of computer trouble atm so not sure how long I'll take.
godscuzn's Avatar godscuzn
05-06-2006, 07:59 PM

nobody knows me yet, but if you need acoustic guitar, I'm down, if you need cover art, I can send some of that to, just tell me what you're looking for
if you want, you can e-mail me @ [email protected] yeah, I know it's a freakishly long address, and I'm cheap, but when it goes to supporting the arts, I go as far as I can, and then some, also my only recoring equipment is a cheap ass tape recorder, but it gets the job done, I'll send tabs or something if you want (guitar tabs, not the 'fun' tabs)

Last edited by godscuzn; 05-06-2006 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: need to add something
Old 05-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #117
Banned.

Bincount™: 119

nobody knows me yet, but if you need acoustic guitar, I'm down, if you need cover art, I can send some of that to, just tell me what you're looking for
if you want, you can e-mail me @ [email protected] yeah, I know it's a freakishly long address, and I'm cheap, but when it goes to supporting the arts, I go as far as I can, and then some, also my only recoring equipment is a cheap ass tape recorder, but it gets the job done, I'll send tabs or something if you want (guitar tabs, not the 'fun' tabs)

Last edited by godscuzn; 05-06-2006 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: need to add something
LabRat404
05-11-2006, 05:42 AM

I'm a guitarist.

Granted, I pretty well suck at creating solos.

Has anyone determined on a genre yet?

I'm interested.

Any material yet?
Old 05-11-2006, 05:42 AM   #118
swept underneath my skin

Bincount™: 1097

I'm a guitarist.

Granted, I pretty well suck at creating solos.

Has anyone determined on a genre yet?

I'm interested.

Any material yet?
transcend187's Avatar transcend187
05-11-2006, 10:35 AM

Genres are for record execs and radio stations. You need an idea, and maybe a list of possible influences could help. Don't limit yourselves.

I'd love to do vocals for this. I've been in a few informal bands, but I've never been able to find people with a similar musical sensibility. i.e. they didn't like prog, they didn't like Tool, and they basically wanted to do RHCP, STP, and various 90s grunge/post-grunge stuff. Which I don't mind, but it's very limited.

Anyways, if this is still going I'd be interested in doing a vocal track... but of course, I need lyrics... and decent recording equipment. I'll see what I can do.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:35 AM   #119
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 1439

Genres are for record execs and radio stations. You need an idea, and maybe a list of possible influences could help. Don't limit yourselves.

I'd love to do vocals for this. I've been in a few informal bands, but I've never been able to find people with a similar musical sensibility. i.e. they didn't like prog, they didn't like Tool, and they basically wanted to do RHCP, STP, and various 90s grunge/post-grunge stuff. Which I don't mind, but it's very limited.

Anyways, if this is still going I'd be interested in doing a vocal track... but of course, I need lyrics... and decent recording equipment. I'll see what I can do.
LabRat404
05-11-2006, 10:43 AM

a genre may be limiting, but we at least need an idea of what its gonig to be so we don't end up with something like one guy playing slayer and another singing jewl. edit: then again, I'd be interested in hearing something like that :-)

Important:
Ae we all going to contribute to this thing? it looks like a LOT of people want to do this...maybe we should have a couple different groups doing different projects?
Old 05-11-2006, 10:43 AM   #120
swept underneath my skin

Bincount™: 1097

a genre may be limiting, but we at least need an idea of what its gonig to be so we don't end up with something like one guy playing slayer and another singing jewl. edit: then again, I'd be interested in hearing something like that :-)

Important:
Ae we all going to contribute to this thing? it looks like a LOT of people want to do this...maybe we should have a couple different groups doing different projects?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply