Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
EricMatthewLeavell
10-04-2004, 12:02 AM

the metallic sound is a combination of newish strings (not a really big factor, i use earnie ball strings, and they rock, by far my favorite out of the few different brands i've used), active electronics on the bass, and some EQ-ing on the amp. PaEL, what kinda bass do you have? and what kinda of amp?
Old 10-04-2004, 12:02 AM   #41
Banned.

Bincount™: 23
Re: InnerCombustion + Spoon present: Stinkfist

the metallic sound is a combination of newish strings (not a really big factor, i use earnie ball strings, and they rock, by far my favorite out of the few different brands i've used), active electronics on the bass, and some EQ-ing on the amp. PaEL, what kinda bass do you have? and what kinda of amp?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
EricMatthewLeavell
10-04-2004, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holy reality
i shouldn't comment since i'm not a bassist but a metallic sound definitely comes from brand new strings, especially if you don't break them in (stretch them out before playing)... in general
that's not really true. Because the strings will get out of tune incredibly fast as you play.

My girlfriend has the same strings that came on her bass, and she bought that bass like... months and months ago, and it's easy to get a metallic sound. Just using the active pickups.

it's just basically boosting the treble, but there are many different ways to go about doing it, based on your gear.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:05 AM   #42
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holy reality
i shouldn't comment since i'm not a bassist but a metallic sound definitely comes from brand new strings, especially if you don't break them in (stretch them out before playing)... in general
that's not really true. Because the strings will get out of tune incredibly fast as you play.

My girlfriend has the same strings that came on her bass, and she bought that bass like... months and months ago, and it's easy to get a metallic sound. Just using the active pickups.

it's just basically boosting the treble, but there are many different ways to go about doing it, based on your gear.
PeEl's Avatar PeEl
10-04-2004, 08:32 AM

Ive got a Peavey NTB Grind 4 string, passive sadly.
I also run everything through a Boss ME 50 B multi effects pedal, and as a practice amp i use a peavey micro-bass, 30 watt.

Can ya help me get metallic sound with that ?
Old 10-04-2004, 08:32 AM   #43
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Ive got a Peavey NTB Grind 4 string, passive sadly.
I also run everything through a Boss ME 50 B multi effects pedal, and as a practice amp i use a peavey micro-bass, 30 watt.

Can ya help me get metallic sound with that ?
EricMatthewLeavell
10-04-2004, 10:11 AM

well, volume and tone up all the way on the bass (which is a beautiful looking bass).

And for the amp, I guess you don't have a master volume... which is odd. Because normally, I would say Gain all the way up. But I guess that's your volume.

Try some EQ stuff like this...

LOW - 5-6
MID - 6-8
HIGH - 6-7

I can't really tell you what will do it for you... I haven't tried the amp. If that doesn't work, turn the treble to 10, and back off, until you get the metallic sound, but it doesn't hurt your ears. I'm not sure if the gain knob on your amp will add any sort of distortion (not a lot, but a little fuzz to it), but just try turning the gain to 10, and have your bass's volume at half way or so, or less, whatever volume is comfortable to listen to. If having the gain up just makes it louder, then just act like it's a volume knob, but sometimes the gain knob can add some presense, and bring out for of a metallic sound, and it might be able to add a slight distortion that you'll be able to notice in the stinkfist recording (ignoring the part that i actually recorded with a distortion pedal on)
Old 10-04-2004, 10:11 AM   #44
Banned.

well, volume and tone up all the way on the bass (which is a beautiful looking bass).

And for the amp, I guess you don't have a master volume... which is odd. Because normally, I would say Gain all the way up. But I guess that's your volume.

Try some EQ stuff like this...

LOW - 5-6
MID - 6-8
HIGH - 6-7

I can't really tell you what will do it for you... I haven't tried the amp. If that doesn't work, turn the treble to 10, and back off, until you get the metallic sound, but it doesn't hurt your ears. I'm not sure if the gain knob on your amp will add any sort of distortion (not a lot, but a little fuzz to it), but just try turning the gain to 10, and have your bass's volume at half way or so, or less, whatever volume is comfortable to listen to. If having the gain up just makes it louder, then just act like it's a volume knob, but sometimes the gain knob can add some presense, and bring out for of a metallic sound, and it might be able to add a slight distortion that you'll be able to notice in the stinkfist recording (ignoring the part that i actually recorded with a distortion pedal on)
PeEl's Avatar PeEl
10-04-2004, 01:57 PM

EML, thanks alot, i really appreciate it!

I tried what ya said with the amp settings, and the actual bass volume/tone, added a little more treble and well as I played the chorus to stinkfist, iI got this strange sensation of metallic euphoria, if i may put it so.

Thank you.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:57 PM   #45
Level 4 - Thinker

EML, thanks alot, i really appreciate it!

I tried what ya said with the amp settings, and the actual bass volume/tone, added a little more treble and well as I played the chorus to stinkfist, iI got this strange sensation of metallic euphoria, if i may put it so.

Thank you.
holy reality's Avatar holy reality
10-04-2004, 03:58 PM

"hat's not really true. Because the strings will get out of tune incredibly fast as you play. "

not necessarily, at least with my guitar the way i string... you bend them a little bit until they retain tuning but you don't go at it excessively, not "breaking them in" so they stay clangy and metallic for a few days... i figure the heavier gauge you go the longer the metallicness of new strings would last if not "broken in"

but yeah.... these are two different instruments we're talking about here.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:58 PM   #46
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1129

"hat's not really true. Because the strings will get out of tune incredibly fast as you play. "

not necessarily, at least with my guitar the way i string... you bend them a little bit until they retain tuning but you don't go at it excessively, not "breaking them in" so they stay clangy and metallic for a few days... i figure the heavier gauge you go the longer the metallicness of new strings would last if not "broken in"

but yeah.... these are two different instruments we're talking about here.
EricMatthewLeavell
10-04-2004, 09:28 PM

yeah, it's different on bass...

so, yeah PaEL, now that you're kinda in the right direction, you can play around with it, and iron out some of the kinks.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:28 PM   #47
Banned.

yeah, it's different on bass...

so, yeah PaEL, now that you're kinda in the right direction, you can play around with it, and iron out some of the kinks.
EricMatthewLeavell
10-04-2004, 10:54 PM

PaEL, do you have anyway of maybe recording yourself? i'd like to hear what sort of sound you can get from a cheap little amp like that.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:54 PM   #48
Banned.

PaEL, do you have anyway of maybe recording yourself? i'd like to hear what sort of sound you can get from a cheap little amp like that.
PeEl's Avatar PeEl
10-05-2004, 09:56 AM

EML, ive got some previous recordings i did about 2 weeks ago, through my amp onto the pc. The sound is purely bass, just a few layers/tracks i tried out, some of it is out of time, and some fuck ups, but the sound is there. Heres one song if you want to take a listen: http://www.audiostreet.net/artists/007/574/peel.html
Old 10-05-2004, 09:56 AM   #49
Level 4 - Thinker

EML, ive got some previous recordings i did about 2 weeks ago, through my amp onto the pc. The sound is purely bass, just a few layers/tracks i tried out, some of it is out of time, and some fuck ups, but the sound is there. Heres one song if you want to take a listen: http://www.audiostreet.net/artists/007/574/peel.html

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply