what, for guitar? go for it

so songs for me to record on friday-
46&2
Flood
Opiate
Schism

and then maybe H. and reflection?
08-12-2004, 09:18 AM

I can sing/play schism at the same time, but I don't have any hardware with me at the moment.

I was thinking about this thread, and I remembered the MJK quote at the entrance to the Opinion forums. Maybe we should go write our -own- songs instead of trying to play Tool's. And by god, if we are going to play Tool's songs, let's make some -changes-, make things different, otherwise we're just trying to burn a CD the old-fashioned way, and it becomes stupid and pointless. Everyone already knows what Tool sounds like.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:18 AM   #44
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 430
Re: Tribute to Tool Part II

I can sing/play schism at the same time, but I don't have any hardware with me at the moment.

I was thinking about this thread, and I remembered the MJK quote at the entrance to the Opinion forums. Maybe we should go write our -own- songs instead of trying to play Tool's. And by god, if we are going to play Tool's songs, let's make some -changes-, make things different, otherwise we're just trying to burn a CD the old-fashioned way, and it becomes stupid and pointless. Everyone already knows what Tool sounds like.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
EricMatthewLeavell
08-12-2004, 10:39 AM

the problem, it'd be near impossible to jam over the internet... I think just because of the limits on the internet it's best to stick to straight covers.

and holy, you're not playing the rhythm right, but if you say you get it right when you play to the studio version, then I guess it should be fine.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:39 AM   #45
Banned.

Bincount™: 23

the problem, it'd be near impossible to jam over the internet... I think just because of the limits on the internet it's best to stick to straight covers.

and holy, you're not playing the rhythm right, but if you say you get it right when you play to the studio version, then I guess it should be fine.
RonArtest
08-12-2004, 02:25 PM

I can do vocals for some of this stuff probably in the near future. I can get solid digital quality, but my priority is my own band. But i'd like to help w/ this project.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:25 PM   #46
Banned.

Bincount™: 17

I can do vocals for some of this stuff probably in the near future. I can get solid digital quality, but my priority is my own band. But i'd like to help w/ this project.
RonArtest
08-12-2004, 02:34 PM

Flood is a real good choice BTW of a song to do. I'd be real down for doing vocals to that and anything off lateralus as that album prob compliments my voice best.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:34 PM   #47
Banned.

Flood is a real good choice BTW of a song to do. I'd be real down for doing vocals to that and anything off lateralus as that album prob compliments my voice best.
holy reality's Avatar holy reality
08-12-2004, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMatthewLeavell

yeah, I can.....

there are some little nuances that I'm still discovering though....

honestly though i'm not a great recorder so i might totally fail and not be able to produce a worthwhile track... I'll give it a shot though.

by this i mean i doubt i'll be able to get anything down in one take, and splicing parts together can be a bitch.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:16 PM   #48
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1129

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMatthewLeavell

yeah, I can.....

there are some little nuances that I'm still discovering though....

honestly though i'm not a great recorder so i might totally fail and not be able to produce a worthwhile track... I'll give it a shot though.

by this i mean i doubt i'll be able to get anything down in one take, and splicing parts together can be a bitch.
EricMatthewLeavell
08-13-2004, 01:01 AM

i played flood today, and i got the delay setting perfect, and the distortion near perfect for the bass intro
Old 08-13-2004, 01:01 AM   #49
Banned.

i played flood today, and i got the delay setting perfect, and the distortion near perfect for the bass intro
Machiavelli70's Avatar Machiavelli70
08-13-2004, 12:10 PM

I wasn't talking about jamming. I was talking about writing different songs, or rewriting some of Tool's songs -- there's really little sense in making a tribute album full of exact replicas of the songs that the band we're tributing played. That's like plagarizing material from an author for the tribute book you're writing for them.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:10 PM   #50
Level 7 - Loquacious

I wasn't talking about jamming. I was talking about writing different songs, or rewriting some of Tool's songs -- there's really little sense in making a tribute album full of exact replicas of the songs that the band we're tributing played. That's like plagarizing material from an author for the tribute book you're writing for them.
IC's Avatar IC
08-13-2004, 12:41 PM

that would be very hard to do: Youd need to redo a song, lets say you start off with a drum track, then how could they know what means what? it would be very difficult online. but for a start lets just see how the straight cover works. take smaller steps before running.

I just recorded 46&2 on drums, so hold on while I try an upload a 6 minute song on dialup..

edit**
if anything seems confusing, try to record just to the cd version, then I can line them up cause they'll both be in time

Last edited by IC; 08-13-2004 at 12:45 PM..
Old 08-13-2004, 12:41 PM   #51
IC
resident flamer

Bincount™: 575

that would be very hard to do: Youd need to redo a song, lets say you start off with a drum track, then how could they know what means what? it would be very difficult online. but for a start lets just see how the straight cover works. take smaller steps before running.

I just recorded 46&2 on drums, so hold on while I try an upload a 6 minute song on dialup..

edit**
if anything seems confusing, try to record just to the cd version, then I can line them up cause they'll both be in time

Last edited by IC; 08-13-2004 at 12:45 PM..
08-13-2004, 01:40 PM

okely dokely this is a much better "rough draft" me playing alongside with the actual song, it in the left channel, me in the right.

now there are some screwups, i play the break down at the end a half step up for some crazy reason, and i'm not sure when to come in during the solo, that catches me off guard, as do the hammer ons in the solo which i have not quite perfected (no delay on it either)

ermm um and i keep wanting to hit the wrong chord in the epic part at the end of the solo, you'll notice that.

and the heavy ending seems a bit off, but I mean, I had to layer the real schism on top of mine, possibly causing some minor out of synchness in parts, i dont' know of a precise way to do it, rahter you just look at the wave forms and try to match them. (i suck at layering) i did a good job though, i can hear how i'm in time with the drumming and whatnot so i think if there are layering issues they are rather hard to detect
http://www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/hol...schismfull.mp3
(large file, 5 mb or so, copy and paste as usual)

Last edited by holy reality; 08-13-2004 at 01:44 PM..
Old 08-13-2004, 01:40 PM   #52

okely dokely this is a much better "rough draft" me playing alongside with the actual song, it in the left channel, me in the right.

now there are some screwups, i play the break down at the end a half step up for some crazy reason, and i'm not sure when to come in during the solo, that catches me off guard, as do the hammer ons in the solo which i have not quite perfected (no delay on it either)

ermm um and i keep wanting to hit the wrong chord in the epic part at the end of the solo, you'll notice that.

and the heavy ending seems a bit off, but I mean, I had to layer the real schism on top of mine, possibly causing some minor out of synchness in parts, i dont' know of a precise way to do it, rahter you just look at the wave forms and try to match them. (i suck at layering) i did a good job though, i can hear how i'm in time with the drumming and whatnot so i think if there are layering issues they are rather hard to detect
http://www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/hol...schismfull.mp3
(large file, 5 mb or so, copy and paste as usual)

Last edited by holy reality; 08-13-2004 at 01:44 PM..
IC's Avatar IC
08-13-2004, 02:02 PM

cool HR. And now for the 46&2 drum line-presented by innercombustion-
NOTE-If you are playing along to this, there are 4 clicks of intro, then the bass would come in. 4 counts. Your best bet is to record to the cd and then i'll layer the part with the drums, but go ahead if you really know the song and wont mess up if I glitch a little here or there.

right click save target as

http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/pjm/audio.html
Old 08-13-2004, 02:02 PM   #53
IC
resident flamer

cool HR. And now for the 46&2 drum line-presented by innercombustion-
NOTE-If you are playing along to this, there are 4 clicks of intro, then the bass would come in. 4 counts. Your best bet is to record to the cd and then i'll layer the part with the drums, but go ahead if you really know the song and wont mess up if I glitch a little here or there.

right click save target as

08-13-2004, 02:08 PM

hmm so would you want a more perfected cd track that you can just drum to in terms of schism?

would that be easier for us to combine our tracks together? and do we have a schism bassist volunteer?
Old 08-13-2004, 02:08 PM   #54

hmm so would you want a more perfected cd track that you can just drum to in terms of schism?

would that be easier for us to combine our tracks together? and do we have a schism bassist volunteer?
IC's Avatar IC
08-13-2004, 02:13 PM

im not going to be able to download your track here, but I can do the layering. as long as you record it along to the cd, I can record along the cd and line them up later. (this is alot easier cause of the long drumless intro)

yeah and I think EricMathewLsomethin is up for schism. Just out of curiosity, do you know 462?

46 &2 drumline-
Old 08-13-2004, 02:13 PM   #55
IC
resident flamer

im not going to be able to download your track here, but I can do the layering. as long as you record it along to the cd, I can record along the cd and line them up later. (this is alot easier cause of the long drumless intro)

yeah and I think EricMathewLsomethin is up for schism. Just out of curiosity, do you know 462?

46 &2 drumline-
08-13-2004, 02:38 PM

not really, i could learn it but.. it's a bit more effects laden than schism....

this track i posted isn't meant to be used for the project though as it has a few mistakes

i might just be a lazy man and redo the mistakes and try to splice it all together though.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:38 PM   #56

not really, i could learn it but.. it's a bit more effects laden than schism....

this track i posted isn't meant to be used for the project though as it has a few mistakes

i might just be a lazy man and redo the mistakes and try to splice it all together though.
IC's Avatar IC
08-13-2004, 02:49 PM

I just recorded all of schism. then the program froze then closed itself out, deleting the song..this sucks.

46&2drumline
Old 08-13-2004, 02:49 PM   #57
IC
resident flamer

I just recorded all of schism. then the program froze then closed itself out, deleting the song..this sucks.

46&2drumline
08-13-2004, 03:36 PM

Holy shit. Holy shit.

That was quite impressive IC, I wish there were drummers like you at my school.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:36 PM   #58
On Probation

Bincount™: 1146

Holy shit. Holy shit.

That was quite impressive IC, I wish there were drummers like you at my school.
IC's Avatar IC
08-13-2004, 05:39 PM

thanks man that really means alot :)
Old 08-13-2004, 05:39 PM   #59
IC
resident flamer

thanks man that really means alot :)
08-13-2004, 05:43 PM

Okay, so here's a song list...

46&2
Drums - InnerCombustion
Bass - EricMatthewLeavell
Guitar - Shade

Flood
Drums - InnerCombustion
Guitar - ?

Schism
Drums - InnerCombustion
Guitar - Holy Reality

Opiate
Drums - InnerCombustion
Bass - ?
Guitar - ?

are we doing any other songs? who's got guitar for flood? any other bassist want a song? any other drummer?
Old 08-13-2004, 05:43 PM   #60
Banned.

Okay, so here's a song list...

46&2
Drums - InnerCombustion
Guitar - Shade

Flood
Drums - InnerCombustion
Guitar - ?

Schism
Drums - InnerCombustion
Guitar - Holy Reality

Opiate
Drums - InnerCombustion
Bass - ?
Guitar - ?

are we doing any other songs? who's got guitar for flood? any other bassist want a song? any other drummer?
IC's Avatar IC
08-13-2004, 05:48 PM

yeah? awesome man. You have a copy you could send me?
Old 08-13-2004, 05:48 PM   #61
IC
resident flamer

yeah? awesome man. You have a copy you could send me?
08-13-2004, 07:08 PM

I suggest The Patient, I can pretty much play all of it on guitar, and the bass and drums aren't too hard for it.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:08 PM   #62
On Probation

I suggest The Patient, I can pretty much play all of it on guitar, and the bass and drums aren't too hard for it.
thirdseason17's Avatar thirdseason17
08-13-2004, 07:09 PM

I can play a lot of tool songs on bass, but EML is more suited for the job as his rig completely pwns.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:09 PM   #63
On Probation

I can play a lot of tool songs on bass, but EML is more suited for the job as his rig completely pwns.
EricMatthewLeavell
08-13-2004, 08:12 PM

my band covered The Patient, Aenima and Jerk Off(Extended)... to any of those I can squeeze out almost instantly

Thirdseason, you wanna do 46&2 or schism? I really wanna do flood... so that shit's mine. I can play schism better than i can 46&2 right now... i've slowly been working on 46&2, and like there's a few parts where I just fuck up completely.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:12 PM   #64
Banned.

my band covered The Patient, Aenima and Jerk Off(Extended)... to any of those I can squeeze out almost instantly

Thirdseason, you wanna do 46&2 or schism? I really wanna do flood... so that shit's mine. I can play schism better than i can 46&2 right now... i've slowly been working on 46&2, and like there's a few parts where I just fuck up completely.
08-13-2004, 10:56 PM

well Shade my effects actually really suck, they just... they cannot nail the adam flange, but now that i have a slightly more refined ear i could fire them up and try again.

i can do 46 and 2 but the wah will not sound good, not unless i tweak it.... it's set to weird hybrid bass/guitar settings right now.... i also don't know very much of it at all.

that song also has some flange that is hard to get like the ambient beginning.. my marshall's flange might work.. but really right now I have enough work cut out for me from schism.

the nice thing is I'm almost positive I can get a high quality (not much better than this, just without mistakes) cd track up by sometime next week.... i have some ideas for adding ambience etc and layering it on top of my track, and I can use my wah pedal layered over the solo to achieve synth-ish sounds, maybe the digitech would be good for that.

i'd also really like it if we could do H... I'm not sure if I can play it or not, some parts are semi-complex... but... it's such a great song.

*this 46 and 2 drum track is great.... kind of seemed to be a bit lacking in the low end but i sure can't complain here... fantastic.

Last edited by holy reality; 08-13-2004 at 11:05 PM..
Old 08-13-2004, 10:56 PM   #65

well Shade my effects actually really suck, they just... they cannot nail the adam flange, but now that i have a slightly more refined ear i could fire them up and try again.

i can do 46 and 2 but the wah will not sound good, not unless i tweak it.... it's set to weird hybrid bass/guitar settings right now.... i also don't know very much of it at all.

that song also has some flange that is hard to get like the ambient beginning.. my marshall's flange might work.. but really right now I have enough work cut out for me from schism.

the nice thing is I'm almost positive I can get a high quality (not much better than this, just without mistakes) cd track up by sometime next week.... i have some ideas for adding ambience etc and layering it on top of my track, and I can use my wah pedal layered over the solo to achieve synth-ish sounds, maybe the digitech would be good for that.

i'd also really like it if we could do H... I'm not sure if I can play it or not, some parts are semi-complex... but... it's such a great song.

*this 46 and 2 drum track is great.... kind of seemed to be a bit lacking in the low end but i sure can't complain here... fantastic.

Last edited by holy reality; 08-13-2004 at 11:05 PM..
IC's Avatar IC
08-14-2004, 06:48 AM

thanks man. There were a few parts I glitched up a bit, but I had kept stopping after the stupidest mistakes and just didnt have time enough to keep redoing it, but I think its not too bad.

As for H., I know the whole song. You wanna do it? I'll try to record schism and H. today, alright?

Edit***EML-Flood is going to be kinda crazy. I would love to do it. Should we do the 4 min intro? I need to practice it a bit, but its in 7 like 46&2 so it shouldnt be all too different.

I wish I knew lateralus...Well I guess I'll start practicing..
Old 08-14-2004, 06:48 AM   #66
IC
resident flamer

thanks man. There were a few parts I glitched up a bit, but I had kept stopping after the stupidest mistakes and just didnt have time enough to keep redoing it, but I think its not too bad.

As for H., I know the whole song. You wanna do it? I'll try to record schism and H. today, alright?

Edit***EML-Flood is going to be kinda crazy. I would love to do it. Should we do the 4 min intro? I need to practice it a bit, but its in 7 like 46&2 so it shouldnt be all too different.

I wish I knew lateralus...Well I guess I'll start practicing..
08-14-2004, 07:12 AM

I see no one is doing the vocals.. could I, perhaps? I'm not the best vocalist in the world, and though I regret doing it, I started my singing career fashioning it after Maynard's as much as I could. I guess that matters if it's going to be a tribute to Tool, but still, it's the fact that I would have the audacity to actually fashion my voice after him. >_<

I have a mic, somewhere around either mine or my dads room.. well, actually, I have a headset in my room somewhere that I used to use for this video game I have.. >_> I plugged it into my laptop one time and it worked. I don't know if it has any acceptable recording capabilities though.

With that said, there's about a 2/10 chance this will actually happen XD

but, I'll look for the mics, try to get them working, and start making some recordings, if I can. Just give me some feedback on what you think.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:12 AM   #67
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I see no one is doing the vocals.. could I, perhaps? I'm not the best vocalist in the world, and though I regret doing it, I started my singing career fashioning it after Maynard's as much as I could. I guess that matters if it's going to be a tribute to Tool, but still, it's the fact that I would have the audacity to actually fashion my voice after him. >_<

I have a mic, somewhere around either mine or my dads room.. well, actually, I have a headset in my room somewhere that I used to use for this video game I have.. >_> I plugged it into my laptop one time and it worked. I don't know if it has any acceptable recording capabilities though.

With that said, there's about a 2/10 chance this will actually happen XD

but, I'll look for the mics, try to get them working, and start making some recordings, if I can. Just give me some feedback on what you think.
08-14-2004, 07:25 AM

go for it man. I think Ron Arest was up for some vocals but we want as many different people as possible.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:25 AM   #68
IC
resident flamer

go for it man. I think Ron Arest was up for some vocals but we want as many different people as possible.
08-14-2004, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerCombustion
Hm, should I record my bare voice? or along side whichever song we are doing? Or should record alongside the guitar/bass/drums you are providing?

Also, I can play guitar exceptionally well. I've been playing for 7 years, so I'm pretty experienced. If I can't get the vocals up, maybe I can play some guitar for you? I'm just as good on bass too. I find it fun to slap and pluck to songs like Schism.. ahaha it gives it a fresh twist.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:04 AM   #69
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerCombustion
Hm, should I record my bare voice? or along side whichever song we are doing? Or should record alongside the guitar/bass/drums you are providing?

Also, I can play guitar exceptionally well. I've been playing for 7 years, so I'm pretty experienced. If I can't get the vocals up, maybe I can play some guitar for you? I'm just as good on bass too. I find it fun to slap and pluck to songs like Schism.. ahaha it gives it a fresh twist.
08-14-2004, 09:48 AM

..yes, yes we do NEED guitarists. If you are working on your vocals, Have a cd player and head phones and listen to the song and record your bare voice. I will then layer that atop of our drum and bass, etc. tracks. And yes, take up any open guitar spots. You know H.?

Edit- Im uploading my drum tracks for Schism and H. now. This is going to take a loooooooooooooong time. I'll post em up in an hour or two..

Last edited by IC; 08-14-2004 at 09:55 AM..
Old 08-14-2004, 09:48 AM   #70
IC
resident flamer

..yes, yes we do NEED guitarists. If you are working on your vocals, Have a cd player and head phones and listen to the song and record your bare voice. I will then layer that atop of our drum and bass, etc. tracks. And yes, take up any open guitar spots. You know H.?

Edit- Im uploading my drum tracks for Schism and H. now. This is going to take a loooooooooooooong time. I'll post em up in an hour or two..

Last edited by IC; 08-14-2004 at 09:55 AM..
thirdseason17's Avatar thirdseason17
08-14-2004, 10:50 AM

EML, I can play 46 and 2 fairly well, the only part that I can't play is around the 2:45 mark. I'll try to record the entire bass line for 46 and 2 tonight or something.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:50 AM   #71
On Probation

EML, I can play 46 and 2 fairly well, the only part that I can't play is around the 2:45 mark. I'll try to record the entire bass line for 46 and 2 tonight or something.
IC's Avatar IC
08-14-2004, 11:03 AM

Ok here you guys go. Im going to have to upload H. later tonight, but I'll be on a cable connection then so it should be ok. As for schism, here you go...

http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/tdn
Old 08-14-2004, 11:03 AM   #72
IC
resident flamer

Ok here you guys go. Im going to have to upload H. later tonight, but I'll be on a cable connection then so it should be ok. As for schism, here you go...

08-14-2004, 12:49 PM

so... IC, what kind of programs do you have access to to "put the pieces back together" ? I'm using cool edit pro 2.0 and it's decent... I ask because it'd be nice if we somehow polished our bare tracks, added depth to them, etc, made them studio friendly and a decent quality, though only so much can be done with low quality recordings that most of us will probably be producing.

I was thinking of doing some random shit with my schism once it's done.. like... you know, trying to make it in stereo somehow, maybe adding a few extra guitars to key parts.... etc....
Old 08-14-2004, 12:49 PM   #73

so... IC, what kind of programs do you have access to to "put the pieces back together" ? I'm using cool edit pro 2.0 and it's decent... I ask because it'd be nice if we somehow polished our bare tracks, added depth to them, etc, made them studio friendly and a decent quality, though only so much can be done with low quality recordings that most of us will probably be producing.

I was thinking of doing some random shit with my schism once it's done.. like... you know, trying to make it in stereo somehow, maybe adding a few extra guitars to key parts.... etc....
Machiavelli70's Avatar Machiavelli70
08-14-2004, 01:24 PM

If anyone else wants to attempt Lateralus, I can play that on bass quite easily.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:24 PM   #74
Level 7 - Loquacious

If anyone else wants to attempt Lateralus, I can play that on bass quite easily.
IC's Avatar IC
08-14-2004, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holy reality

Very cool. I have Cakewalk9 and its good. So I can layer that way, and I put a little reverb on my H. drum track, and its a little warmer now.

And NOW, IC's drum tracks.

You can get forty six and two here:

and you can get Schism and H. here:

Last edited by IC; 08-14-2004 at 01:56 PM..
Old 08-14-2004, 01:53 PM   #75
IC
resident flamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by holy reality

Very cool. I have Cakewalk9 and its good. So I can layer that way, and I put a little reverb on my H. drum track, and its a little warmer now.

And NOW, IC's drum tracks.

You can get forty six and two here:

and you can get Schism and H. here:

Last edited by IC; 08-14-2004 at 01:56 PM..
IC's Avatar IC
08-14-2004, 03:44 PM

sorry H was down for alittle bit but is now back up
Old 08-14-2004, 03:44 PM   #76
IC
resident flamer

sorry H was down for alittle bit but is now back up
08-14-2004, 04:13 PM

you kick so much ass man.

Schism is great, have not listened to H yet.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:13 PM   #77

you kick so much ass man.

Schism is great, have not listened to H yet.
EricMatthewLeavell
08-14-2004, 04:17 PM

i have sound forge and vegas... very good programs. Does anyone have any noise reduction software? That'd be ideal, maybe sound forge has something, but I haven't found it yet.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:17 PM   #78
Banned.

i have sound forge and vegas... very good programs. Does anyone have any noise reduction software? That'd be ideal, maybe sound forge has something, but I haven't found it yet.
08-14-2004, 04:21 PM

CEP does and it works alright...

H is amazing ..... is it supposed to be so short though? only 2:18 for me.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:21 PM   #79

CEP does and it works alright...

H is amazing ..... is it supposed to be so short though? only 2:18 for me.
EricMatthewLeavell
08-14-2004, 04:32 PM

oh, and for flood, at least for the intro, the bass part should be recorded, and then all the other parts should be recorded to match the bass intro. Because i try playing the intro with the CD and it's too hard to match how long he rests or and stuff, so i'll just wing it... then the guitar and drums can record with the bass...
Old 08-14-2004, 04:32 PM   #80
Banned.

oh, and for flood, at least for the intro, the bass part should be recorded, and then all the other parts should be recorded to match the bass intro. Because i try playing the intro with the CD and it's too hard to match how long he rests or and stuff, so i'll just wing it... then the guitar and drums can record with the bass...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply