Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
IC's Avatar IC
07-11-2004, 08:52 AM

Inspired from tanto's idea. But also do a Tool covering thing; drums then someone on guitar, then someone else on bass, etc. Im going into the studio and I have the chance to do it for free, so I could record a drum track for schism. If anyone's interested in doing this?
Old 07-11-2004, 08:52 AM   #1
IC
resident flamer

Bincount™: 575
Tribute to Tool Part II

Inspired from tanto's idea. But also do a Tool covering thing; drums then someone on guitar, then someone else on bass, etc. Im going into the studio and I have the chance to do it for free, so I could record a drum track for schism. If anyone's interested in doing this?
07-11-2004, 03:45 PM

i could play bass if you really need it, but i'm sure there are people who can play it better than me, i don't really play tool songs much anymore.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:45 PM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 23
Re: Tribute to Tool Part II

i could play bass if you really need it, but i'm sure there are people who can play it better than me, i don't really play tool songs much anymore.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
IC's Avatar IC
07-11-2004, 04:30 PM

ok cool. Im not sure what song I should record on drums. Any suggestions? I can play intolerance, sober, crawl away, part of me, undertow, stinkfist, H. and schism pretty right on.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:30 PM   #3
IC
resident flamer

ok cool. Im not sure what song I should record on drums. Any suggestions? I can play intolerance, sober, crawl away, part of me, undertow, stinkfist, H. and schism pretty right on.
07-12-2004, 12:06 AM

well, because you mentioned schism, i thought i'd record me playing a little bit of schism. I haven't played this song in a while, so i'm a little rusty.

I recorded this with a bass with passive pickups, so the triplet figures arn't defined at all, but i have a sweet new bass in the mail on it's way with active pickups, so that won't be an issue once i get that bass.

My EQ settings arn't perfectly matches to Justins, so my bass doesn't sound quite like his, but it's close enough. And also, this recording isn't reflective of a final recording that i'm capable of producing. This is just DI-ing my amp straight to my computer, and you'll notice it sort of farts a little on the low end, if i was recording a final copy, i'd go through a mixer that was designed for that sort of signal. So the low end would be much more defined. Anway...

Direct Download Link

you can either stream or download it. Oh, and nevermind the title of the song and all that, i forgot to clear that out when i saved the new .mp3.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:06 AM   #4
Banned.

well, because you mentioned schism, i thought i'd record me playing a little bit of schism. I haven't played this song in a while, so i'm a little rusty.

I recorded this with a bass with passive pickups, so the triplet figures arn't defined at all, but i have a sweet new bass in the mail on it's way with active pickups, so that won't be an issue once i get that bass.

My EQ settings arn't perfectly matches to Justins, so my bass doesn't sound quite like his, but it's close enough. And also, this recording isn't reflective of a final recording that i'm capable of producing. This is just DI-ing my amp straight to my computer, and you'll notice it sort of farts a little on the low end, if i was recording a final copy, i'd go through a mixer that was designed for that sort of signal. So the low end would be much more defined. Anway...

Direct Download Link

you can either stream or download it. Oh, and nevermind the title of the song and all that, i forgot to clear that out when i saved the new .mp3.
IC's Avatar IC
07-12-2004, 07:20 AM

cool cool. Yeah I can give you a crappy recording (one comp mic for the drums) probebly by thursday night, just because I have nothing better here, but my friend is helping me get free studio time. So I can lay it down there, for real.

Any takers for guitar or vocals??
Old 07-12-2004, 07:20 AM   #5
IC
resident flamer

cool cool. Yeah I can give you a crappy recording (one comp mic for the drums) probebly by thursday night, just because I have nothing better here, but my friend is helping me get free studio time. So I can lay it down there, for real.

Any takers for guitar or vocals??
07-15-2004, 04:53 AM

hm..I want to finish one song, then maybe people will be more willing to try.

Is anyone interested in bass or guitar or vocals for 46&2 as well? I played the solo break right for the first time yesterday, and by the time i get to the studio I should have it down.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:53 AM   #6
IC
resident flamer

hm..I want to finish one song, then maybe people will be more willing to try.

Is anyone interested in bass or guitar or vocals for 46&2 as well? I played the solo break right for the first time yesterday, and by the time i get to the studio I should have it down.
07-15-2004, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade
I would play guitar but I don't have any recording devices or any effects to use.

This is a cool idea though. I think it would be really cool if you guys covered Lateralus.

ok I'd have to practice a whole friggin lot to play lateralus. Not saying that I wont, but thats pretty hard.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:15 AM   #7
IC
resident flamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade
I would play guitar but I don't have any recording devices or any effects to use.

This is a cool idea though. I think it would be really cool if you guys covered Lateralus.

ok I'd have to practice a whole friggin lot to play lateralus. Not saying that I wont, but thats pretty hard.
07-16-2004, 11:19 AM

i'm down for 46&2, i know like half of it. Just give me a song to learn and I can learn it.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:19 AM   #8
Banned.

i'm down for 46&2, i know like half of it. Just give me a song to learn and I can learn it.
an_unseen_existence
07-17-2004, 12:01 AM

I can play almost all of schism, I know all of undertow and opiate, I know about half of aenima and like 3 songs off of lateralus, anyways i play guitar, i have line 6 i just hook it up to my comp, i think it sounds pretty good, there is a metal setting and its somewhat close to adams tone and sound, plus i have all the free time in the world, i'll do the guitar part.....
Old 07-17-2004, 12:01 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I can play almost all of schism, I know all of undertow and opiate, I know about half of aenima and like 3 songs off of lateralus, anyways i play guitar, i have line 6 i just hook it up to my comp, i think it sounds pretty good, there is a metal setting and its somewhat close to adams tone and sound, plus i have all the free time in the world, i'll do the guitar part.....
EricMatthewLeavell
07-17-2004, 12:43 AM

if InnerCombustion could do the 46&2 drum solo, then we should definitly do 46&2, if not, then schism it is.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:43 AM   #10
Banned.

if InnerCombustion could do the 46&2 drum solo, then we should definitly do 46&2, if not, then schism it is.
IC's Avatar IC
07-19-2004, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMatthewLeavell
As the first song sure. Hopefully once we get a song or two done, maybe others will be interested in doing other songs
Old 07-19-2004, 01:34 PM   #11
IC
resident flamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMatthewLeavell
As the first song sure. Hopefully once we get a song or two done, maybe others will be interested in doing other songs
07-19-2004, 03:32 PM

okay, so it is going to be 46&2? sounds good... i'll learn the whole thing shortly
Old 07-19-2004, 03:32 PM   #12
Banned.

okay, so it is going to be 46&2? sounds good... i'll learn the whole thing shortly
IC's Avatar IC
07-19-2004, 07:03 PM

anyone wanna try for vocals?
Old 07-19-2004, 07:03 PM   #13
IC
resident flamer

anyone wanna try for vocals?
07-22-2004, 07:05 PM

ok kids..here it is..Pat doing the drum break in 46 & 2..in all its terrible mono quality, I present it to you (right click save target as, its the first one up on the page) : http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/pjm/audio.html

**I would like to add that I did this on a 4 piece set, so i dont have the full tom range that dc does at the location i recorded this at, but when I get into the studio with my full kit, I'll have 4 toms to work with, instead of 2
Old 07-22-2004, 07:05 PM   #14
IC
resident flamer

ok kids..here it is..Pat doing the drum break in 46 & 2..in all its terrible mono quality, I present it to you (right click save target as, its the first one up on the page) : http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/pjm/audio.html

**I would like to add that I did this on a 4 piece set, so i dont have the full tom range that dc does at the location i recorded this at, but when I get into the studio with my full kit, I'll have 4 toms to work with, instead of 2
07-23-2004, 11:36 AM

beautiful... 46&2 on bass is a little more difficult than I thought... but don't worry, I work out some of the weird parts.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:36 AM   #15
Banned.

beautiful... 46&2 on bass is a little more difficult than I thought... but don't worry, I work out some of the weird parts.
IC's Avatar IC
07-24-2004, 08:29 AM

alright cool tell me when u gettin that down
Old 07-24-2004, 08:29 AM   #16
IC
resident flamer

alright cool tell me when u gettin that down
07-24-2004, 12:13 PM

yeah I skipped a little before the tripplets but I do it right normally
Old 07-24-2004, 12:13 PM   #17
IC
resident flamer

yeah I skipped a little before the tripplets but I do it right normally
07-24-2004, 07:54 PM

oh, and if you get a chance, try and record the whole drum part for 46&2, so, when i'm able to record the bass, I'll have something to help me record to, so that I'm on the right time as you, and such

[edit:
Update: I've basically got the whole song down, just a few timing issues on two riffs.... but other than that, i'm good]

Last edited by EricMatthewLeavell; 07-24-2004 at 10:16 PM..
Old 07-24-2004, 07:54 PM   #18
Banned.

oh, and if you get a chance, try and record the whole drum part for 46&2, so, when i'm able to record the bass, I'll have something to help me record to, so that I'm on the right time as you, and such

[edit:
Update: I've basically got the whole song down, just a few timing issues on two riffs.... but other than that, i'm good]

Last edited by EricMatthewLeavell; 07-24-2004 at 10:16 PM..
IC's Avatar IC
07-25-2004, 11:16 AM

ok but do you want me to record it with ok quality or wait to see if i can get into that studio? they're doing renovations, but I can get decent quality with my own stuff
Old 07-25-2004, 11:16 AM   #19
IC
resident flamer

ok but do you want me to record it with ok quality or wait to see if i can get into that studio? they're doing renovations, but I can get decent quality with my own stuff
07-25-2004, 01:26 PM

hmm... i guess wait until you can record in the studio, because there's no use for us both making alright recordings, and then making better ones. So, I'll just keep practicing, and wait for the good recording, and then using that and tool's version, I'll do a good recording of bass, and then we'll have to get a guitarist and singer
Old 07-25-2004, 01:26 PM   #20
Banned.

hmm... i guess wait until you can record in the studio, because there's no use for us both making alright recordings, and then making better ones. So, I'll just keep practicing, and wait for the good recording, and then using that and tool's version, I'll do a good recording of bass, and then we'll have to get a guitarist and singer
IC's Avatar IC
07-26-2004, 05:08 PM

yeah Im sure more people will get interested once this gets rolling in reality
Old 07-26-2004, 05:08 PM   #21
IC
resident flamer

yeah Im sure more people will get interested once this gets rolling in reality
08-01-2004, 02:38 PM

I'd like to give a shot at vocals, but uh, I dont have ANYTHING to record with at all.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:38 PM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

I'd like to give a shot at vocals, but uh, I dont have ANYTHING to record with at all.
IC's Avatar IC
08-01-2004, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Shadows
mm...tell me if you get an opportunity

Shade grab guitar for 46&2 if you want
Old 08-01-2004, 07:15 PM   #23
IC
resident flamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Shadows
mm...tell me if you get an opportunity

Shade grab guitar for 46&2 if you want
08-04-2004, 12:37 PM

after 46&2, we should do something from undertow, because songs from that album are really fun to play... flood would be cool.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:37 PM   #24
Banned.

after 46&2, we should do something from undertow, because songs from that album are really fun to play... flood would be cool.
Jolz
08-04-2004, 04:20 PM

46and2 sounds so good on guitar!
Old 08-04-2004, 04:20 PM   #25
Banned.

Bincount™: 12

46and2 sounds so good on guitar!
IC's Avatar IC
08-04-2004, 05:23 PM

i suppose we can make like the demo version of this first, cause if i do this drum track at my house, or in the studio, the time of it will still be the same, only the quality different. So then I can just put the new better drum track in place of the old one. I wanted (if you remember the cd Tribute to Tool) to make the TDN Tribute to Tool. So when I get back up state I'll lay this down for you guys.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:23 PM   #26
IC
resident flamer

i suppose we can make like the demo version of this first, cause if i do this drum track at my house, or in the studio, the time of it will still be the same, only the quality different. So then I can just put the new better drum track in place of the old one. I wanted (if you remember the cd Tribute to Tool) to make the TDN Tribute to Tool. So when I get back up state I'll lay this down for you guys.
08-04-2004, 09:20 PM

i can play schism on guitar fairly well, i don't play along with the track much so my timing is fucked but I "can" play along with the track (give or take a day of me deciding to practice it)

the little hammer on shit in the solo still trips me up is about the only thing I can't quite do right, and then, the break down before the PMs at the end, the tab doesn't seem right to me.

there are probably way better guitarists than me though....
Old 08-04-2004, 09:20 PM   #27
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1129

i can play schism on guitar fairly well, i don't play along with the track much so my timing is fucked but I "can" play along with the track (give or take a day of me deciding to practice it)

the little hammer on shit in the solo still trips me up is about the only thing I can't quite do right, and then, the break down before the PMs at the end, the tab doesn't seem right to me.

IC's Avatar IC
08-05-2004, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holy reality
who cares? ur freakin holyreality

you have the stuff to be able to record it?
Old 08-05-2004, 07:48 AM   #28
IC
resident flamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by holy reality
who cares? ur freakin holyreality

you have the stuff to be able to record it?
08-06-2004, 10:16 AM

yeah, well we definitly need the drum track layed down first, so just do a high or low quality as soon as you can, so we can get things going.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:16 AM   #29
Banned.

yeah, well we definitly need the drum track layed down first, so just do a high or low quality as soon as you can, so we can get things going.
IC's Avatar IC
08-09-2004, 02:04 PM

will do asap. This will be done, with as best quality as I can by sat, uploaded for guitarist and bass download. But to be official, Whos singing up for bass and whos signin up for guitar? I think Eric's doin bass right? Shade ?

as for song after 46&2, lets vote on an undertow song, eh?
Intolerance
Prison Sex
Sober
Bottom
Crawl Away
Swamp Song
Undertow
Flood
..no disgustipated..ok maybe later.

And yes I know you all know that tracks, but having it there, you may pick one song that you didnt think about..anyway see you saturday
Old 08-09-2004, 02:04 PM   #30
IC
resident flamer

will do asap. This will be done, with as best quality as I can by sat, uploaded for guitarist and bass download. But to be official, Whos singing up for bass and whos signin up for guitar? I think Eric's doin bass right? Shade ?

as for song after 46&2, lets vote on an undertow song, eh?
Intolerance
Prison Sex
Sober
Bottom
Crawl Away
Swamp Song
Undertow
Flood
..no disgustipated..ok maybe later.

And yes I know you all know that tracks, but having it there, you may pick one song that you didnt think about..anyway see you saturday
08-09-2004, 05:43 PM

yeah, i'm doing bass, and i vote Flood.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:43 PM   #31
Banned.

yeah, i'm doing bass, and i vote Flood.
paraflux
08-10-2004, 06:12 AM

I just have a question. If you get free studio time, why waste it recording covers?

*scratches head*
Old 08-10-2004, 06:12 AM   #32
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

I just have a question. If you get free studio time, why waste it recording covers?

*scratches head*
IC's Avatar IC
08-10-2004, 06:48 AM

why NOT waste it recording covers. Problem is they keep backing the date up, so I still havent gotten in. There for, I will try, with my best effort, to record a somewhat decent quality recording this friday.
I vote Flood
Old 08-10-2004, 06:48 AM   #33
IC
resident flamer

why NOT waste it recording covers. Problem is they keep backing the date up, so I still havent gotten in. There for, I will try, with my best effort, to record a somewhat decent quality recording this friday.
I vote Flood
08-10-2004, 08:36 AM

*shrugs*
Old 08-10-2004, 08:36 AM   #34
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

*shrugs*
holy reality's Avatar holy reality
08-10-2004, 12:11 PM

i don't know any undertow songs, they are challenging, like prison sex, weirdest fucking rhtyhmn i've ever heard as far as the begginning goes......

i can record a shitty quality schism though.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:11 PM   #35

i don't know any undertow songs, they are challenging, like prison sex, weirdest fucking rhtyhmn i've ever heard as far as the begginning goes......

i can record a shitty quality schism though.
holy reality's Avatar holy reality
08-10-2004, 12:50 PM

okay this is a general idea, a rough draft sort of, there are fuckups, i wasn't playing along with the song... the tone is fuzzy and such.

I can polish it a little bit tonewise.... I'm not sure why it sounds so fuzzy, need new strings maybe, maybe I should mic it rather than direct in..... I can definitely play along to the song and get a solid track down, though it might take me a few takes..... it's not going to sound a ton better than this though.

http://www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/hol...schismclip.mp3
(copy and paste)

so i know people can do it better and get a better tone than me, but this is just a very general estimate....

as said, I can play along with the track, so there wouldn't be timing errors if I were going to contribute for real.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:50 PM   #36

okay this is a general idea, a rough draft sort of, there are fuckups, i wasn't playing along with the song... the tone is fuzzy and such.

I can polish it a little bit tonewise.... I'm not sure why it sounds so fuzzy, need new strings maybe, maybe I should mic it rather than direct in..... I can definitely play along to the song and get a solid track down, though it might take me a few takes..... it's not going to sound a ton better than this though.

http://www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/hol...schismclip.mp3
(copy and paste)

so i know people can do it better and get a better tone than me, but this is just a very general estimate....

as said, I can play along with the track, so there wouldn't be timing errors if I were going to contribute for real.
IC's Avatar IC
08-10-2004, 07:15 PM

if no ones grabbin vocals, I'll volunteer, but I was goin for a dif person for each part, but we'll see.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:15 PM   #37
IC
resident flamer

if no ones grabbin vocals, I'll volunteer, but I was goin for a dif person for each part, but we'll see.
08-10-2004, 07:20 PM

I've got basses for D'Amor stuff, if you need the harmonics. Never knew this thread existed.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:20 PM   #38
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 430

I've got basses for D'Amor stuff, if you need the harmonics. Never knew this thread existed.
IC's Avatar IC
08-10-2004, 07:23 PM

alright cool man. maybe you wanna hook up and we could do Opiate or somethin?
Old 08-10-2004, 07:23 PM   #39
IC
resident flamer

alright cool man. maybe you wanna hook up and we could do Opiate or somethin?
08-10-2004, 08:28 PM

As long as you don't mind the sound of a fretless, though I can get it to be fretty.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:28 PM   #40
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 430

As long as you don't mind the sound of a fretless, though I can get it to be fretty.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply