Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
etc43's Avatar etc43
12-10-2009, 02:36 AM

It's funny how things like this work. All semester long I've been too busy to write or record any music, much to my dismay, and now, at the end of it, when I have WAY too much other important stuff to do, inspiration strikes and I end up ditching 2 days of classes to get this out. Fun stuff. Now that I've gotten this out of my system, hopefully I can write my goddamn Shakespeare paper.

http://www.talentsoldseparately.com/...ightCharms.mp3
Old 12-10-2009, 02:36 AM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2
Magnetic Light Charms

It's funny how things like this work. All semester long I've been too busy to write or record any music, much to my dismay, and now, at the end of it, when I have WAY too much other important stuff to do, inspiration strikes and I end up ditching 2 days of classes to get this out. Fun stuff. Now that I've gotten this out of my system, hopefully I can write my goddamn Shakespeare paper.

http://www.talentsoldseparately.com/...ightCharms.mp3
12-10-2009, 03:04 AM

Well done on using what I assume are pan pipes and not making the piece sound like a new age shitfest!

The instrumentation is great and I loved the introduction of the guitar, it seemed to give the piece a bit more of an earthy feel after the spacey pan pipes. You could easily describe this piece as 'pretty'. It stays quite delicate and understated even when the distorted guitar comes in. It never gets too heavy like the cliched clean/distorted dynamic and stays nice and light and fresh sounding. The piece never goes over the top. Overall it builds very effectively and the lead guitar at around 4 mins took me quite by surprise. Very good mate!

Everything sounds really good as well, like it's well recorded. What do you use?

I avoid cliches like the plague.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:04 AM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200
Re: Magnetic Light Charms

Well done on using what I assume are pan pipes and not making the piece sound like a new age shitfest!

The instrumentation is great and I loved the introduction of the guitar, it seemed to give the piece a bit more of an earthy feel after the spacey pan pipes. You could easily describe this piece as 'pretty'. It stays quite delicate and understated even when the distorted guitar comes in. It never gets too heavy like the cliched clean/distorted dynamic and stays nice and light and fresh sounding. The piece never goes over the top. Overall it builds very effectively and the lead guitar at around 4 mins took me quite by surprise. Very good mate!

Everything sounds really good as well, like it's well recorded. What do you use?

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
etc43's Avatar etc43
12-10-2009, 07:41 PM

Thanks for listening and commenting. I was trying to avoid overdoing the distortion--at first I was really hesitant to even leave it in--but the clean solo that comes in over it sort of balances it out and stops it from ever getting too gritty. There are some piano chords that come in with the distorted guitar, too, to help with the same issue. I'm actually most proud of the bass, though: in terms of EQ and audibility while remaining subdued, it's probably the best use of bass I've made in any recording.

In terms of what I use, the majority of the instruments are sampled GarageBand instruments. The piano, the panflute, the regular flute (which is filtered to sound more glassy), the 8 bit synth, the percussion, etc. The guitars and bass are the only real instruments here, recorded via USB with a Line 6 Pod X3 Live. I think when they come in it really becomes like a second movement, even though it's built on top of the same foundation.

In any case, I'm quite pleased with it, and I'm glad you like the solo at the 4-minute mark--I still have slight doubts about it, but overall I like what it adds. Thanks again for taking the time to listen.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Thanks for listening and commenting. I was trying to avoid overdoing the distortion--at first I was really hesitant to even leave it in--but the clean solo that comes in over it sort of balances it out and stops it from ever getting too gritty. There are some piano chords that come in with the distorted guitar, too, to help with the same issue. I'm actually most proud of the bass, though: in terms of EQ and audibility while remaining subdued, it's probably the best use of bass I've made in any recording.

In terms of what I use, the majority of the instruments are sampled GarageBand instruments. The piano, the panflute, the regular flute (which is filtered to sound more glassy), the 8 bit synth, the percussion, etc. The guitars and bass are the only real instruments here, recorded via USB with a Line 6 Pod X3 Live. I think when they come in it really becomes like a second movement, even though it's built on top of the same foundation.

In any case, I'm quite pleased with it, and I'm glad you like the solo at the 4-minute mark--I still have slight doubts about it, but overall I like what it adds. Thanks again for taking the time to listen.
12-11-2009, 08:16 AM

I thought they may have been samples, they sound excellent though. The contrast between the sampled instruments and the "real"(for want of a better word) instruments definitely adds a second movement of sorts, sounds more earthy.

You shouldn't have doubts about the solo, it simply adds another lift.

The creativity forum really is fucking dead isn't it? Few people seem to visit regularly. Shame.

Anyway good luck and keep it up!

Old 12-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement

I thought they may have been samples, they sound excellent though. The contrast between the sampled instruments and the "real"(for want of a better word) instruments definitely adds a second movement of sorts, sounds more earthy.

You shouldn't have doubts about the solo, it simply adds another lift.

The creativity forum really is fucking dead isn't it? Few people seem to visit regularly. Shame.

Anyway good luck and keep it up!

MypugsAreSmarterThanYou's Avatar MypugsAreSmarterThanYou
12-11-2009, 03:35 PM

I like this piece. it may just be me,but i think it could sound better with less-midi-elevator sounding instruments.you know? it's like i'm listening to a guitar pro transcribed version. but on the other hand, that's what might make this piece sound unique.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 116

I like this piece. it may just be me,but i think it could sound better with less-midi-elevator sounding instruments.you know? it's like i'm listening to a guitar pro transcribed version. but on the other hand, that's what might make this piece sound unique.
12-11-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveboat Captain View Post

Yeah, it is kinda dead. i visit everyday, and i enjoy checking out people's music.
lately it seems there's been a decent amount of threads made.
perhaps you should put some up loveboat to keep this place a rollin'.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveboat Captain View Post

Yeah, it is kinda dead. i visit everyday, and i enjoy checking out people's music.
12-12-2009, 12:55 PM

I really enjoyed this.
Would you mind if I played around with this in FLStudio? I won't change the overall composition, just add some things in. I just figured it'd be better to ask before doing so.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
Banned.

Bincount™: 1

I really enjoyed this.
Would you mind if I played around with this in FLStudio? I won't change the overall composition, just add some things in. I just figured it'd be better to ask before doing so.
12-12-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambon View Post
I really enjoyed this.
if you do,you better post it.
thats if you get permission from etc43.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambon View Post
I really enjoyed this.
if you do,you better post it.
thats if you get permission from etc43.
12-12-2009, 06:56 PM

http://filesmelt.com/downloader/Tweaked_Magnetic_Light_Charms.mp3

I hope it's okay with etc43. I didn't do much to the track in all actuality. I just dropped a few effects, and ran it through an EQ. I like the way it sounds, though I'm not so convinced others will.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
Banned.

http://filesmelt.com/downloader/Tweaked_Magnetic_Light_Charms.mp3

I hope it's okay with etc43. I didn't do much to the track in all actuality. I just dropped a few effects, and ran it through an EQ. I like the way it sounds, though I'm not so convinced others will.
etc43's Avatar etc43
12-12-2009, 08:55 PM

Thanks for listening, everyone. Jambon, I was gonna say its fine for you to go ahead and tweak it or whatever, but you already did, which is fine. I'm quite a fan of the Creative Commons licensing method. My biggest issue with your tweak is that towards the end the different layers sort of lose their definition--everything becomes similarly peaky. But part of me saying that is also because I obsessed over getting it to sound the way it does in the original version, so I'm obviously biased. I dig the flangerish effect, though.

I could create a new thread for this, but I think I'll skip that and just post it here: this is another piece of music I worked on this summer. It still isn't done because it needs vocals but what is there is pretty final. A lot less sampled instruments on this one, and a lot more layers of guitars.

Clock Builder

And while I'm at it, here's a completely different version of the same song. The first one is missing vocals, and the second one is basically missing everything else. I'd definitely advise listening to the first one first, but I'm kind of curious what people think of both...ideally, there will eventually be some kind of synthesis between these two versions.

Clock Builder Live & Acoustic
Old 12-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Thanks for listening, everyone. Jambon, I was gonna say its fine for you to go ahead and tweak it or whatever, but you already did, which is fine. I'm quite a fan of the Creative Commons licensing method. My biggest issue with your tweak is that towards the end the different layers sort of lose their definition--everything becomes similarly peaky. But part of me saying that is also because I obsessed over getting it to sound the way it does in the original version, so I'm obviously biased. I dig the flangerish effect, though.

I could create a new thread for this, but I think I'll skip that and just post it here: this is another piece of music I worked on this summer. It still isn't done because it needs vocals but what is there is pretty final. A lot less sampled instruments on this one, and a lot more layers of guitars.

Clock Builder

And while I'm at it, here's a completely different version of the same song. The first one is missing vocals, and the second one is basically missing everything else. I'd definitely advise listening to the first one first, but I'm kind of curious what people think of both...ideally, there will eventually be some kind of synthesis between these two versions.

Clock Builder Live & Acoustic
12-12-2009, 09:30 PM

I get what you mean, and found myself thinking the same thing after a few play throughs. I'll go back and see what I can do to make it sound more clear.

http://filesmelt.com/downloader/Twea...ht_Charms1.mp3
Let me know.

Last edited by Jambon; 12-13-2009 at 11:59 AM..
Old 12-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #11
Banned.

I get what you mean, and found myself thinking the same thing after a few play throughs. I'll go back and see what I can do to make it sound more clear.

http://filesmelt.com/downloader/Twea...ht_Charms1.mp3
Let me know.

Last edited by Jambon; 12-13-2009 at 11:59 AM..
Loveboat Captain's Avatar Loveboat Captain
12-14-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MypugsAreSmarterThanYou View Post
I'd love to but I'm in the laziest band I know! We practice like once a month if even that. I think we're gonna take a new years resolution to play more and definitely record more in 2010. So basically I'll post stuff as soon as I have some stuff to post!

Are you in a band yourself?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:55 AM   #12
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by MypugsAreSmarterThanYou View Post
I'd love to but I'm in the laziest band I know! We practice like once a month if even that. I think we're gonna take a new years resolution to play more and definitely record more in 2010. So basically I'll post stuff as soon as I have some stuff to post!

Are you in a band yourself?

Loveboat Captain's Avatar Loveboat Captain
12-17-2009, 08:10 AM

I really like the Clock Builder instrumental. I don't know if it's just me but it kinda sounds wintery and warm. I like the strings a lot and again it builds very well.

I only listened to the one with vocals once, haven't really got a chance again. On first listen I liked the sound of the guitar and the voice is the kind of voice I usually like in an acoustic guitar/vocal set up.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #13
Level 10 - Vehement

I really like the Clock Builder instrumental. I don't know if it's just me but it kinda sounds wintery and warm. I like the strings a lot and again it builds very well.

I only listened to the one with vocals once, haven't really got a chance again. On first listen I liked the sound of the guitar and the voice is the kind of voice I usually like in an acoustic guitar/vocal set up.

12-25-2009, 09:03 PM

clockbuilder is a good song.
it's also a strange song.A strange happy kinda feeling i don't come across much in songs.
loveboat feels wintery and warm.I can see that.
I could picture the video for this song being that of a time-lapse movie of the prairies showing the season's changing,depicting animals gathering food and shit preparing for a cold winter....with a woodchuck on bass.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #14
Level 9 - Obstreperous

clockbuilder is a good song.
it's also a strange song.A strange happy kinda feeling i don't come across much in songs.
loveboat feels wintery and warm.I can see that.
I could picture the video for this song being that of a time-lapse movie of the prairies showing the season's changing,depicting animals gathering food and shit preparing for a cold winter....with a woodchuck on bass.
12-25-2009, 11:02 PM

I'd actually been meaning to respond to this--it's funny you say it sounds wintery, Loveboat, because it was the product of working slowly all summer. I think that might come through in the harmonizing mellotron flutes in the second verse, but maybe not. Magnetic Light Charms is definitely the one I would call wintery. Not only was it snowing when I started working on it, but it evokes wintery images in my head anyway. I'm actually planning on animating a music video for it (Light Charms) in the near future, and Clock Builder will probably get one later, too. They will both probably be vaguely similar to this, an animated video I did for a friend's song this summer.

Thanks again for listening. Oh, and I, too, am surprised at the lack of activity in these forums lately. I tend to produce work on and off in short bursts, and whenever I do I will usually post it around the Creativity forum because generally the people who browse here are good for honest, anonymous feedback. Even if there's less activity, though, I think the activity there is is as genuine and constructive as ever, which is definitely a good thing.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

I'd actually been meaning to respond to this--it's funny you say it sounds wintery, Loveboat, because it was the product of working slowly all summer. I think that might come through in the harmonizing mellotron flutes in the second verse, but maybe not. Magnetic Light Charms is definitely the one I would call wintery. Not only was it snowing when I started working on it, but it evokes wintery images in my head anyway. I'm actually planning on animating a music video for it (Light Charms) in the near future, and Clock Builder will probably get one later, too. They will both probably be vaguely similar to this, an animated video I did for a friend's song this summer.

Thanks again for listening. Oh, and I, too, am surprised at the lack of activity in these forums lately. I tend to produce work on and off in short bursts, and whenever I do I will usually post it around the Creativity forum because generally the people who browse here are good for honest, anonymous feedback. Even if there's less activity, though, I think the activity there is is as genuine and constructive as ever, which is definitely a good thing.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply