Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
etc43's Avatar etc43
10-29-2009, 04:34 PM

Some of this stuff is as old as 2006, and I know some of it has been posted on here before, but now that it's all tracked together and labeled an "album" I figured I would link to it and open it up to criticism or whatever. It's not exactly a focused effort in that I didn't sit down and write a bunch of material at once, but it does consist of what I would consider the best stuff I have recorded in the past 3 years. You can download it from here:

http://www.talentsoldseparately.com/album/Eponymous.zip

If you like it, you may want to check out other music on that site--Talent Sold Separately is an independent art collective that I am a part of and we just recently got a web site. I would recommend Without End by finneyerkes and Gaia Theory by Dark Alley Gospel, for sure (you can download everything in the media section if you feel inclined to do so).

All right, then.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2
I recorded an album

Some of this stuff is as old as 2006, and I know some of it has been posted on here before, but now that it's all tracked together and labeled an "album" I figured I would link to it and open it up to criticism or whatever. It's not exactly a focused effort in that I didn't sit down and write a bunch of material at once, but it does consist of what I would consider the best stuff I have recorded in the past 3 years. You can download it from here:

http://www.talentsoldseparately.com/album/Eponymous.zip

If you like it, you may want to check out other music on that site--Talent Sold Separately is an independent art collective that I am a part of and we just recently got a web site. I would recommend Without End by finneyerkes and Gaia Theory by Dark Alley Gospel, for sure (you can download everything in the media section if you feel inclined to do so).

All right, then.
10-30-2009, 11:25 AM

interesting stuff, occasionally cheesy but still different in many ways.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
On Probation

Bincount™: 1
Re: I recorded an album

interesting stuff, occasionally cheesy but still different in many ways.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Loveboat Captain's Avatar Loveboat Captain
11-04-2009, 03:19 AM

I agree.

What drums did you use?

I avoid cliches like the plague.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200

I agree.

What drums did you use?

I avoid cliches like the plague.
etc43's Avatar etc43
11-04-2009, 12:25 PM

Thanks for listening and I appreciate the feedback. I'm curious about the specifics behind what you mean though. If you are, in fact, referring to the drums, I can't disagree. They're just the most basic fake drums included in GarageBand, and I won't waste any time defending them. "Fauxtographic Memory" and "Cold Sound" suffer the most from it, but I don't have much of an alternative at this point, so I'm still glad I got those recorded. There's actually a version of "Cold Sound" with real drums and a live band you can watch here, if you're interested...but the sound quality suffers because it was just shot with a video camera.

Was there anything besides the drums that was particularly troublesome? Overall criticisms that don't involve technical capabilities, I guess? I have a lot of works in progress now, most of which aren't under solo projects, that I know are better than what I have here, but I still like what I have here and felt like some of it, however old, deserved "release." But I know I can and definitely plan to improve, so any specific feedback would be appreciated.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Thanks for listening and I appreciate the feedback. I'm curious about the specifics behind what you mean though. If you are, in fact, referring to the drums, I can't disagree. They're just the most basic fake drums included in GarageBand, and I won't waste any time defending them. "Fauxtographic Memory" and "Cold Sound" suffer the most from it, but I don't have much of an alternative at this point, so I'm still glad I got those recorded. There's actually a version of "Cold Sound" with real drums and a live band you can watch here, if you're interested...but the sound quality suffers because it was just shot with a video camera.

Was there anything besides the drums that was particularly troublesome? Overall criticisms that don't involve technical capabilities, I guess? I have a lot of works in progress now, most of which aren't under solo projects, that I know are better than what I have here, but I still like what I have here and felt like some of it, however old, deserved "release." But I know I can and definitely plan to improve, so any specific feedback would be appreciated.
11-10-2009, 01:14 PM

I thought the first track sounded way too much like tool. I don't like cold sound after the heavy riff comes in. The solo in it blows and is probably what forced the comment of it being cheesy but, the last 45 seconds are pretty good though. At around 1.40 on the last track 43 there is this like stereotypical synth effect which is another example of what I meant when I said occasionally cheesy.

Other than the above mentioned I really enjoyed listening to you're music. It's minimalism is one if it's main strengths. I feel they are all potential songs if you choose to further develop them that way but it is also really good intrumental music. My personal favourites were Alexithymia and Mommy.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
On Probation

Bincount™: 1

I thought the first track sounded way too much like tool. I don't like cold sound after the heavy riff comes in. The solo in it blows and is probably what forced the comment of it being cheesy but, the last 45 seconds are pretty good though. At around 1.40 on the last track 43 there is this like stereotypical synth effect which is another example of what I meant when I said occasionally cheesy.

Other than the above mentioned I really enjoyed listening to you're music. It's minimalism is one if it's main strengths. I feel they are all potential songs if you choose to further develop them that way but it is also really good intrumental music. My personal favourites were Alexithymia and Mommy.
etc43's Avatar etc43
11-11-2009, 07:56 AM

Well, I sincerely appreciate your bluntness--there is no sarcasm in that statement. It's pretty hard to look at my own work objectively. I don't entirely agree with you, but I'm pretty biased, so that doesn't really matter. I mean, "Cold Sound" is one of the first pieces I ever wrote and I'm fairly attached to it, solo and all--this recording still doesn't do it the justice I would like, but I don't get the impression that isn't the issue in your case, which is perfectly fine. I can definitely see how that stereotypical synth in 43 would be met with a raised eyebrow, though. Video game music was a pretty big influence on that one. Make whatever you want of that.

In any case, I'm glad that you listened and that you found things worth liking. Incidentally, Mommy and Alexithymia were both written and recorded this year, whereas Jak And The Genie and Cold Sound date back to 2006 and 2005, respectively. Like I said, this album is a collection of my favorite stuff from the past few years, but I do hope I am improving and will continue to do so. It may interest you to know that "Mommy" is the soundtrack to an animation that I'm still working on. I'll undoubtedly post it on this forum whenever it's done. Jak And The Genie, in all it's Toolness, was also a soundtrack, but to a silent film, which you can see here if you care to.

Thanks again for listening and commenting; I appreciate the time you took to listen and your honesty in the feedback.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Well, I sincerely appreciate your bluntness--there is no sarcasm in that statement. It's pretty hard to look at my own work objectively. I don't entirely agree with you, but I'm pretty biased, so that doesn't really matter. I mean, "Cold Sound" is one of the first pieces I ever wrote and I'm fairly attached to it, solo and all--this recording still doesn't do it the justice I would like, but I don't get the impression that isn't the issue in your case, which is perfectly fine. I can definitely see how that stereotypical synth in 43 would be met with a raised eyebrow, though. Video game music was a pretty big influence on that one. Make whatever you want of that.

In any case, I'm glad that you listened and that you found things worth liking. Incidentally, Mommy and Alexithymia were both written and recorded this year, whereas Jak And The Genie and Cold Sound date back to 2006 and 2005, respectively. Like I said, this album is a collection of my favorite stuff from the past few years, but I do hope I am improving and will continue to do so. It may interest you to know that "Mommy" is the soundtrack to an animation that I'm still working on. I'll undoubtedly post it on this forum whenever it's done. Jak And The Genie, in all it's Toolness, was also a soundtrack, but to a silent film, which you can see here if you care to.

Thanks again for listening and commenting; I appreciate the time you took to listen and your honesty in the feedback.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply