Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
paraflux
08-29-2003, 06:59 AM

You are still bashing Pro Tools? I would have thought you got over the interface by now. I switched to it recently. Works great.

When Digital Performer comes out with its PC version coupled with its own processor cards (which is what makes Pro Tools so expensive), it will blow all else away.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:59 AM   #41
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
You are still bashing Pro Tools? I would have thought you got over the interface by now. I switched to it recently. Works great.

When Digital Performer comes out with its PC version coupled with its own processor cards (which is what makes Pro Tools so expensive), it will blow all else away.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
elevate's Avatar elevate
08-29-2003, 08:30 AM

Quote:
You are still bashing Pro Tools? I would have thought you got over the interface by now. I switched to it recently.
It's usable, though it still looks like a Mac application from the early 90s. It provides no benefit to me over Vegas and hinders my workflow, so why use it?
Quote:
When Digital Performer comes out with its PC version...
When is this supposed to happen?
Old 08-29-2003, 08:30 AM   #42
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 211
Quote:
You are still bashing Pro Tools? I would have thought you got over the interface by now. I switched to it recently.
It's usable, though it still looks like a Mac application from the early 90s. It provides no benefit to me over Vegas and hinders my workflow, so why use it?
Quote:
When Digital Performer comes out with its PC version...
When is this supposed to happen?
reign3's Avatar reign3
09-01-2003, 12:06 AM

Alright, today I got the M-Audio usb preamp. The program it uses is a demo version of Live. I can't figure out how to get it to work. I got the instruction manual and I'm still lost. I'll keep working at it though, but if anybody has used Live before and knows how to work it, I could really use some help.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:06 AM   #43
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 773
Alright, today I got the M-Audio usb preamp. The program it uses is a demo version of Live. I can't figure out how to get it to work. I got the instruction manual and I'm still lost. I'll keep working at it though, but if anybody has used Live before and knows how to work it, I could really use some help.
09-01-2003, 08:47 PM

I've tried the Live demo. Have you checked out the recording section of the manual? I pretty much did what was in there and it worked for me.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:47 PM   #44
Level 11 - Clamorous

I've tried the Live demo. Have you checked out the recording section of the manual? I pretty much did what was in there and it worked for me.
reign3's Avatar reign3
09-01-2003, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevate
Yeah, I checked there too, but for some reason I can't get it to work. Oh well. I'm going down to Portland tomorow to Apple Music because last time I was there one of the salemen showed me some stuff with it and it seemed like he knew his shit. So I'll just stop by and ask for a little help.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:58 PM   #45
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Re: About to start recording, need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevate
Yeah, I checked there too, but for some reason I can't get it to work. Oh well. I'm going down to Portland tomorow to Apple Music because last time I was there one of the salemen showed me some stuff with it and it seemed like he knew his shit. So I'll just stop by and ask for a little help.
09-02-2003, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reign3
I dont believe I've used that program, but since this sort of thing tends to be universal, I'll offer some help.

On a mac (Non-OS X):
Keep in mind that I'm on a PC right now, so these directions are probably off...
1. Go to - Apple Menu > Control Panels(?) > Sound Preferences(?)
2. Select your thingy under Input device... if its not there then I'm either mistaken, or you installed it wrong.
3. Check the Play through speakers(?) option.
4. Play with the gain if you have to.

On a PC I'd assume the drivers would do all that crap for you...
If not, double click the yellow speaker on the taskbar. Go to the options dialogue, check the recording radio button, and select all the things in that window below it. After that, just play around with the setting that you might need to tweak in order get your thing working. Sorry if thats too vague, but its about the best I can do...

I've never recorded anything on OS X, so I can't help you there, but the following directions should help nonetheless...

Anyway... In the program:
1. Make a new track if there isnt one already.
2. Make the track record enabled... consult your manual to figure out how to do this.
3. At this point everything you play into the device should be playing out of your speakers. If not you probably installed something wrong. If so, click the record button and play whatever it is you're recording (you might have to click play after hitting record, depending on the software).
4. When adding another track, be sure that the one before it is not record enabled... that'll save you a lot of aggrivation.

Hope that works out for ya...
Old 09-02-2003, 07:58 AM   #46
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 138

Quote:
I dont believe I've used that program, but since this sort of thing tends to be universal, I'll offer some help.

On a mac (Non-OS X):
Keep in mind that I'm on a PC right now, so these directions are probably off...
1. Go to - Apple Menu > Control Panels(?) > Sound Preferences(?)
2. Select your thingy under Input device... if its not there then I'm either mistaken, or you installed it wrong.
3. Check the Play through speakers(?) option.
4. Play with the gain if you have to.

On a PC I'd assume the drivers would do all that crap for you...
If not, double click the yellow speaker on the taskbar. Go to the options dialogue, check the recording radio button, and select all the things in that window below it. After that, just play around with the setting that you might need to tweak in order get your thing working. Sorry if thats too vague, but its about the best I can do...

I've never recorded anything on OS X, so I can't help you there, but the following directions should help nonetheless...

Anyway... In the program:
1. Make a new track if there isnt one already.
2. Make the track record enabled... consult your manual to figure out how to do this.
3. At this point everything you play into the device should be playing out of your speakers. If not you probably installed something wrong. If so, click the record button and play whatever it is you're recording (you might have to click play after hitting record, depending on the software).
4. When adding another track, be sure that the one before it is not record enabled... that'll save you a lot of aggrivation.

Hope that works out for ya...
elevate's Avatar elevate
09-02-2003, 09:59 AM

I just remembered something. In Live, do you have the inputs viewable? When you're in the arrange view, go to 'view' and select 'inputs'. I think 'Live In' is what you want to select on the mixer section. I don't know if you're using a Mac or a PC, or if it makes a difference, but that's what you have to do on the Windows version. Why they don't have that shit on by default is beyond me.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:59 AM   #47
Level 11 - Clamorous

I just remembered something. In Live, do you have the inputs viewable? When you're in the arrange view, go to 'view' and select 'inputs'. I think 'Live In' is what you want to select on the mixer section. I don't know if you're using a Mac or a PC, or if it makes a difference, but that's what you have to do on the Windows version. Why they don't have that shit on by default is beyond me.
Vile1011's Avatar Vile1011
09-06-2003, 05:58 PM

I dont see why this wouldnt be possible, but could you hook an amp up to your computer and record straight onto it? I suppose youd need a recording program, how much do those go for and whats a good one?
Old 09-06-2003, 05:58 PM   #48
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 102
Recording

I dont see why this wouldnt be possible, but could you hook an amp up to your computer and record straight onto it? I suppose youd need a recording program, how much do those go for and whats a good one?
furiousgeorge
09-06-2003, 06:08 PM

i just found this http://monster.harmony-central.com/mason/login.html .
im not sure exactly what you can do with it but this is what it says: MonsterRack lets you upload your own sound samples and run them through a bunch of audio processing gear! includes:
Kurzweil KSP8
Lexicon PCM81
Lexicon PCM91
Line 6 POD Pro
TC Electronic FireworXTC Electronic M3000

again i dont know what all that stuff is but i read about the line 6 POD and stuff here and figures id post this. from what i understand, you just register and you can run your samples through this stuff. i dont know if this is any use to you at all b/c i havent read any of this thread after the first 1/2 page.
Old 09-06-2003, 06:08 PM   #49
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 44
i just found this http://monster.harmony-central.com/mason/login.html .
im not sure exactly what you can do with it but this is what it says: MonsterRack lets you upload your own sound samples and run them through a bunch of audio processing gear! includes:
Kurzweil KSP8
Lexicon PCM81
Lexicon PCM91
Line 6 POD Pro
TC Electronic FireworXTC Electronic M3000

again i dont know what all that stuff is but i read about the line 6 POD and stuff here and figures id post this. from what i understand, you just register and you can run your samples through this stuff. i dont know if this is any use to you at all b/c i havent read any of this thread after the first 1/2 page.
09-06-2003, 10:23 PM

Actually, about the amp, it can be done if your amp has a line out (for a PA) and you've got the right adapters/cords. And a good sound card.

Then all you need is sound recorder.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:23 PM   #50
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 230
Actually, about the amp, it can be done if your amp has a line out (for a PA) and you've got the right adapters/cords. And a good sound card.

Then all you need is sound recorder.
elevate's Avatar elevate
09-07-2003, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vile1011
If your amp has a direct out, then you can hook it up to your computer's soundcard. If your amp doesn't have a direct out, or if the direct out sounds like ass, then that complicates things - you'd need a mixer with a mic preamp and a mic. There's a slew of apps that let you record audio, many of which have been named in this thread. If you want to do this on the cheap, then n-Track would be your best bet.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:18 PM   #51
Level 11 - Clamorous

Re: Recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vile1011
If your amp has a direct out, then you can hook it up to your computer's soundcard. If your amp doesn't have a direct out, or if the direct out sounds like ass, then that complicates things - you'd need a mixer with a mic preamp and a mic. There's a slew of apps that let you record audio, many of which have been named in this thread. If you want to do this on the cheap, then n-Track would be your best bet.
reign3's Avatar reign3
09-07-2003, 06:13 PM

Sorry I haven't posted here in a while. I figured out how to use live. I'm an idiot, it was incredibly simple. I've started composing one piece so far. It's my first, so it's a little...I dunno. It's strange. But it's fun making your own music, because you can do whatever you want with it.

Once I finish it, I'll see if I can post it here for you guys.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:13 PM   #52
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Sorry I haven't posted here in a while. I figured out how to use live. I'm an idiot, it was incredibly simple. I've started composing one piece so far. It's my first, so it's a little...I dunno. It's strange. But it's fun making your own music, because you can do whatever you want with it.

Once I finish it, I'll see if I can post it here for you guys.
09-07-2003, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Well, since it has been difficult finding people to form a band with, I decided I'd just form a band with my four favorite people in the world. Let me introduce you to them.

On lead guitar, I am pleased to present reign3!!

And on backup guitar, please let me welcome reign3!!

On bass, the one...the only...reign3!!

On the keyboard, it is my honor to present reign3!!

And it will be I who will be slapping down the vocals.

Yes, you have guessed correctly. It will be a solo endeavor. What I'd like to do is be able to record onto my computer. But I'm not sure exactly what the best method would be.

Hey Wow that's alot of work...I've seen it done...quite an endeavor...

Do a Google search for Scream Tracker...you may want to specify 'music'...there's some shareware links and what not...Scream Tracker is a good program from what I have seen of it...there are some spin off and up-dated versions...I don't know anything about those...

Good Luck...
Old 09-07-2003, 06:54 PM   #53
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1718

Quote:
Well, since it has been difficult finding people to form a band with, I decided I'd just form a band with my four favorite people in the world. Let me introduce you to them.

On lead guitar, I am pleased to present reign3!!

And on backup guitar, please let me welcome reign3!!

On bass, the one...the only...reign3!!

On the keyboard, it is my honor to present reign3!!

And it will be I who will be slapping down the vocals.

Yes, you have guessed correctly. It will be a solo endeavor. What I'd like to do is be able to record onto my computer. But I'm not sure exactly what the best method would be.

Hey Wow that's alot of work...I've seen it done...quite an endeavor...

Do a Google search for Scream Tracker...you may want to specify 'music'...there's some shareware links and what not...Scream Tracker is a good program from what I have seen of it...there are some spin off and up-dated versions...I don't know anything about those...

Good Luck...
09-08-2003, 08:58 AM

Quote:
That is not what he would need. Scream Tracker, like pretty much all trackers, is more like a MIDI sequencer where you load an audio sample into a channel and then set parameters for that channel. No recording of audio whatsoever. Most trackers that actually bear the name 'tracker' have incredibly old school interfaces, as most of them were born in the DOS days, and their UI still looks like a DOS app. Fruity Loops is a modern day tracker with an interface that's actually usable.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:58 AM   #54
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
That is not what he would need. Scream Tracker, like pretty much all trackers, is more like a MIDI sequencer where you load an audio sample into a channel and then set parameters for that channel. No recording of audio whatsoever. Most trackers that actually bear the name 'tracker' have incredibly old school interfaces, as most of them were born in the DOS days, and their UI still looks like a DOS app. Fruity Loops is a modern day tracker with an interface that's actually usable.
paraflux
09-08-2003, 11:45 AM

When did you get to be so fucking smart
Old 09-08-2003, 11:45 AM   #55
Banned.

dawn's Avatar dawn
09-08-2003, 11:55 AM

The only people that I have known to use fruity loops were techno folk...so it really didn't occur to me...I have seen alot of music produced with scream tracker...and have heard alot of debates as to the similarities to a midi sequencer...I don't know enough about it to hash it out...what my friend did was recorded cd's through a synthezizer(sp?) and somehow ran them his tracks through the scream tracker system...I am not sure how all that was done...but it was...if nothing else you can get it from share warez and scope it out...it may be of some use...my boyfriend has fruity loops on this computer...If I knew how to share I would...
Old 09-08-2003, 11:55 AM   #56
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1718
The only people that I have known to use fruity loops were techno folk...so it really didn't occur to me...I have seen alot of music produced with scream tracker...and have heard alot of debates as to the similarities to a midi sequencer...I don't know enough about it to hash it out...what my friend did was recorded cd's through a synthezizer(sp?) and somehow ran them his tracks through the scream tracker system...I am not sure how all that was done...but it was...if nothing else you can get it from share warez and scope it out...it may be of some use...my boyfriend has fruity loops on this computer...If I knew how to share I would...
09-08-2003, 12:37 PM

Quote:
It's always been like this. You've just now come to a point where you can actually realize it.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:37 PM   #57
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
It's always been like this. You've just now come to a point where you can actually realize it.
paraflux
09-09-2003, 07:26 AM

I sometimes have to laugh out loud at how you truly are an arrogant bastard
Old 09-09-2003, 07:26 AM   #58
Banned.

I sometimes have to laugh out loud at how you truly are an arrogant bastard
elevate's Avatar elevate
09-09-2003, 09:45 AM

Arrogant?...or honest?