Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
Tantobourne
04-21-2004, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst Believer
You've obviously been having fun with this. Delay is great.

I tried out some chords and lead parts along with it. A5, E5, G5, D5 works quite well, as does Am wanking. If you could post a version played to metronome or something that would be great - it's hard to play along to in rhythm.
No doubt. I'll have to dig around and find a software based metronome Hell I think GuitarPro probably has one built in. The rhythm knob on the digitech sucks in that when I record it's included along. As I get the pieces put together and ironed out I'll also be putting it to some sort of cadence. I suppose that's kind of a pivotal piece if someone's gonna jam along, eh?
Old 04-21-2004, 04:26 PM   #81
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 64
Re: TDN group music project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst Believer
You've obviously been having fun with this. Delay is great.

I tried out some chords and lead parts along with it. A5, E5, G5, D5 works quite well, as does Am wanking. If you could post a version played to metronome or something that would be great - it's hard to play along to in rhythm.
No doubt. I'll have to dig around and find a software based metronome Hell I think GuitarPro probably has one built in. The rhythm knob on the digitech sucks in that when I record it's included along. As I get the pieces put together and ironed out I'll also be putting it to some sort of cadence. I suppose that's kind of a pivotal piece if someone's gonna jam along, eh?
04-21-2004, 07:51 PM

Great idea. I play guitar and bass, and just recently had a mini-studio set up in my house (just a mixer plugged into a computer), so I've been recording all sorts of weird riffs and chord progressions which might be fun to fuck around with. No actual songs, just ideas I have while messing around at home, which would probably be better for something like this anyway, since I don't think complete songs would be of any use...
So once I figure out how to upload, I'll try and contribute.

BTW, what recording software does everyone use? I haven't been able to get Cakewalk or Pro Tools to work, so at the moment I'm using a program called n-track studio. It's not too bad, and better yet, you can download it for free.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:51 PM   #82
Deus absconditus

Bincount™: 13

Great idea. I play guitar and bass, and just recently had a mini-studio set up in my house (just a mixer plugged into a computer), so I've been recording all sorts of weird riffs and chord progressions which might be fun to fuck around with. No actual songs, just ideas I have while messing around at home, which would probably be better for something like this anyway, since I don't think complete songs would be of any use...
So once I figure out how to upload, I'll try and contribute.

BTW, what recording software does everyone use? I haven't been able to get Cakewalk or Pro Tools to work, so at the moment I'm using a program called n-track studio. It's not too bad, and better yet, you can download it for free.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
imtheism's Avatar imtheism
04-22-2004, 09:12 AM

cakewalk, nuendo, protools, cubase, those are all pretty much standards
Old 04-22-2004, 09:12 AM   #83
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 36

cakewalk, nuendo, protools, cubase, those are all pretty much standards
Amethyst Believer's Avatar Amethyst Believer
04-22-2004, 09:28 AM

n-track studio is what I started recording on. Its great for what it is.

I personally use Steinberg Nuendo. I don't know what the actual differences are between it and Cubase SX but I find it much easier to use, for some reason.

I'll get round to uploading some shit soon- I've just been finishing off a recording project for uni and haven't had much time to do anything else.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:28 AM   #84
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 118

n-track studio is what I started recording on. Its great for what it is.

I personally use Steinberg Nuendo. I don't know what the actual differences are between it and Cubase SX but I find it much easier to use, for some reason.

I'll get round to uploading some shit soon- I've just been finishing off a recording project for uni and haven't had much time to do anything else.
05-01-2004, 04:56 PM

Seeing as how I don't know much about the making of music, all I use is CEPro, although I've a couple other choice that I haven't installed or toyed with, yet. I'm more or less stuck on just getting the simple skills down of using an instrument as well as figuring out how to clean up the sound enough so that I can actually say I like it.

On that note, this is probably the first song I've managed to get anywhere near 'completed' (7.75mb) It's Tool's version of No Quarter but since I'm only one guitar at this point I'm just doing it all solo. It might seem obvious but I started out using the tab from tooltabs.net and ended up just playing it the way it felt good to me. There's a lot of shit in the process of playing that I want to refine but for now it works pretty well as another 'practice piece' in my meager repretoir.

At some point I'll break the guitars down into their separate pieces and try to record them together but...one step at a time.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:56 PM   #85
Level 10 - Vehement

Seeing as how I don't know much about the making of music, all I use is CEPro, although I've a couple other choice that I haven't installed or toyed with, yet. I'm more or less stuck on just getting the simple skills down of using an instrument as well as figuring out how to clean up the sound enough so that I can actually say I like it.

On that note, this is probably the first song I've managed to get anywhere near 'completed' (7.75mb) It's Tool's version of No Quarter but since I'm only one guitar at this point I'm just doing it all solo. It might seem obvious but I started out using the tab from tooltabs.net and ended up just playing it the way it felt good to me. There's a lot of shit in the process of playing that I want to refine but for now it works pretty well as another 'practice piece' in my meager repretoir.

At some point I'll break the guitars down into their separate pieces and try to record them together but...one step at a time.
05-24-2004, 06:41 AM

So where are we at on this? I left for a while and forgot about it, are we putting something together or what?

Vegas is also a great option for PC users. It is what I would recommend over Cubase and Sonar and the like. Mixing in Vegas is twenty times easier than Sonar.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:41 AM   #86
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

So where are we at on this? I left for a while and forgot about it, are we putting something together or what?

Vegas is also a great option for PC users. It is what I would recommend over Cubase and Sonar and the like. Mixing in Vegas is twenty times easier than Sonar.
paraflux
06-15-2004, 05:59 AM

Ok, I guess this is not gonna happen.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:59 AM   #87
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Jebus's Avatar Jebus
06-16-2004, 07:28 PM

i'm still up for it - i'll post a few of my things on the site later tonight to give it a bit of a kickstart - they're not great, but eh...

nerdlover of blacktulip
Old 06-16-2004, 07:28 PM   #88
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 281

i'm still up for it - i'll post a few of my things on the site later tonight to give it a bit of a kickstart - they're not great, but eh...

nerdlover of blacktulip
Tantobourne
07-09-2004, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux
But it'd be cool if it did, eh? I haven't touched the guit since my last post. I go through one of those 'feast or famine' phases where I'll go for a long while without. Yeah, not conducive to making progress, I know. It's been on my mind, though so I might shove something up before the end of the...year ; )
Old 07-09-2004, 07:26 PM   #89
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux
But it'd be cool if it did, eh? I haven't touched the guit since my last post. I go through one of those 'feast or famine' phases where I'll go for a long while without. Yeah, not conducive to making progress, I know. It's been on my mind, though so I might shove something up before the end of the...year ; )
07-10-2004, 12:18 AM

Hey there, I just noticed this thread and admitidly havn't read all 3 pages but i'm keen to hear what you fella's have put together. How's the idea working out? do you have one or many songs etc?
Old 07-10-2004, 12:18 AM   #90
On Probation

Bincount™: 204

Hey there, I just noticed this thread and admitidly havn't read all 3 pages but i'm keen to hear what you fella's have put together. How's the idea working out? do you have one or many songs etc?
IC's Avatar IC
07-12-2004, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psilomind
If you listen to Elgyn's clip, that he says he used A minor with, it starts on and works around a B. If I'm not mistaken, this would change the mode to Locrian (notice the half note between the first and second interval).

Either way, its on bass and chords aren't much of a concern. A less experienced guitarist would probably want to play along in minor though.

EDIT:
Heres a smidgen of the thing I wrote - www.angelfire.com/bug/poon_returns/slap_bloc.mp3

See. Nothing profound.
wow I really liked that. Anyone need any drum parts?? Going to the studio with free time
Old 07-12-2004, 05:38 PM   #91
IC
resident flamer

Bincount™: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by psilomind
If you listen to Elgyn's clip, that he says he used A minor with, it starts on and works around a B. If I'm not mistaken, this would change the mode to Locrian (notice the half note between the first and second interval).

Either way, its on bass and chords aren't much of a concern. A less experienced guitarist would probably want to play along in minor though.

EDIT:
Heres a smidgen of the thing I wrote - www.angelfire.com/bug/poon_returns/slap_bloc.mp3

See. Nothing profound.
wow I really liked that. Anyone need any drum parts?? Going to the studio with free time
07-12-2004, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantobourne

THis is really cool. Im listening to it right. What pedal are you using? Sounds like a zoom or some multi fx thing. Still sounds great.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:46 PM   #92
IC
resident flamer

Bincount™: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantobourne

THis is really cool. Im listening to it right. What pedal are you using? Sounds like a zoom or some multi fx thing. Still sounds great.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply