Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
Akasha's Avatar Akasha
02-12-2007, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharma Bear View Post
What "type" of artist are they?
Theyve countless times in interviews gone on about how they prefer to sell their work rather than their asses (faces has also been used a few times). In that regard, they are the "type" of artists who focus more on their music being of artistic quality over "catchy" "poppy" cheap image-based music (wolfmother is just trying to be led zep, or any other stereotypical ROCK band, theyre an image). And catchy, pop, image based music is what the masses regard as "better" than something that hasnt got those cheap elements to it, but are artistically amazing works.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:19 AM   #161
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 29
Re: Tool won the Grammy..

Quote:
What "type" of artist are they?
Theyve countless times in interviews gone on about how they prefer to sell their work rather than their asses (faces has also been used a few times). In that regard, they are the "type" of artists who focus more on their music being of artistic quality over "catchy" "poppy" cheap image-based music (wolfmother is just trying to be led zep, or any other stereotypical ROCK band, theyre an image). And catchy, pop, image based music is what the masses regard as "better" than something that hasnt got those cheap elements to it, but are artistically amazing works.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Spongebob's Avatar Spongebob
02-12-2007, 05:19 AM

i hated the cover.
It stays there like Excalibur
Are you my Arthur?
Say you are

Take this cool dark steeled blade
Steal it, sheath it
In your lake
I drown with you to be together
Must you breathe?
Cos I need Heaven
Old 02-12-2007, 05:19 AM   #162
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1669

i hated the cover.
It stays there like Excalibur
Are you my Arthur?
Say you are

Take this cool dark steeled blade
Steal it, sheath it
In your lake
I drown with you to be together
Must you breathe?
Cos I need Heaven
Akasha's Avatar Akasha
02-12-2007, 05:24 AM

Quote:
They don't care? Did I miss the memo that says "Tool dosn't give a shit," or did you talk to them personaly?
After a 3 second google search:

Q: "How about the Grammy? You received one, but didn't attend the ceremony...."

A: "I think the Grammys are nothing more than some gigantic promotional machine for the music industry. They cater to a low intellect and they feed the masses. They don't honor the arts or the artist for what he created. It's the music business celebrating itself. That's basically what it's all about."

Q: "Would it have been consequent then to refuse the Grammy?"

A: "Why should we refuse it? First of all, that would just gain a lot of attention and we are certainly not attention seekers. And if our record company and the music business want to have a party, why should we spoil it for them? Just because we're not interested? Just because we don't like it, why ruin it for them?"

Q: "So you simply don't care for it?"

A: "I don't care at all. We're just four guys and we are enjoying what we're doing with Tool. We are eager to learn – to learn about ourselves and to learn about music, about life, about everything. And, of course, we always hope that we can change something for the better through our music, give someone else some inspiration. I believe that music is a force in itself. It is there and it needs an outlet, a medium. In a way, we are just the medium."

In an interview with Maynard. Source:

http://www.nyrock.com/interviews/2002/tool_int.asp

Last edited by Akasha; 02-12-2007 at 05:28 AM..
Old 02-12-2007, 05:24 AM   #163
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 29

Quote:
They don't care? Did I miss the memo that says "Tool dosn't give a shit," or did you talk to them personaly?
After a 3 second google search:

Q: "How about the Grammy? You received one, but didn't attend the ceremony...."

A: "I think the Grammys are nothing more than some gigantic promotional machine for the music industry. They cater to a low intellect and they feed the masses. They don't honor the arts or the artist for what he created. It's the music business celebrating itself. That's basically what it's all about."

Q: "Would it have been consequent then to refuse the Grammy?"

A: "Why should we refuse it? First of all, that would just gain a lot of attention and we are certainly not attention seekers. And if our record company and the music business want to have a party, why should we spoil it for them? Just because we're not interested? Just because we don't like it, why ruin it for them?"

Q: "So you simply don't care for it?"

A: "I don't care at all. We're just four guys and we are enjoying what we're doing with Tool. We are eager to learn – to learn about ourselves and to learn about music, about life, about everything. And, of course, we always hope that we can change something for the better through our music, give someone else some inspiration. I believe that music is a force in itself. It is there and it needs an outlet, a medium. In a way, we are just the medium."

In an interview with Maynard. Source:

http://www.nyrock.com/interviews/2002/tool_int.asp

Last edited by Akasha; 02-12-2007 at 05:28 AM..
Misanthrope's Avatar Misanthrope
02-12-2007, 05:36 AM

While we're talking about packaging, I think that this was by far the best packaging of 2006. Scroll down to see the entire thing in one photo. This was quite good too.

Last edited by Misanthrope; 02-12-2007 at 05:43 AM..
Old 02-12-2007, 05:36 AM   #164
Drug Crazed Grindfreak

Bincount™: 5716

While we're talking about packaging, I think that this was by far the best packaging of 2006. Scroll down to see the entire thing in one photo. This was quite good too.

Last edited by Misanthrope; 02-12-2007 at 05:43 AM..
Loveboat Captain's Avatar Loveboat Captain
02-12-2007, 05:55 AM

Wolfmother suck shit.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:55 AM   #165
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200
Re: Adam wins Grammy

Wolfmother suck shit.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
Choice Breath's Avatar Choice Breath
02-12-2007, 06:56 AM

The only thing I'd ever heard about wolfmother was an interview with Mike Patton backstage at some festival and, apparently wolfmother was playing in the background or something where he said, "Are you hearing this? What year are we in? Wolfmother, you suck!"

So, then I see that they won the grammy for the song "Woman" over Vicarious. So, I went on youtube and checked it out. Boy, when Mike Patton is right, he's right. I mean, Jet sucks, and they kinda seem like a poorman's Jet, at best, which defines the art of sucking musically like never before.

Then again, it's good to know that the kind of people who would go for that shit likely won't be at a Tool show, so we've got that going for us, which is nice.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:56 AM   #166
Prana

Bincount™: 8
Re: Tool Nominated for 2 Grammy Awards (WON Best Recording Package)

The only thing I'd ever heard about wolfmother was an interview with Mike Patton backstage at some festival and, apparently wolfmother was playing in the background or something where he said, "Are you hearing this? What year are we in? Wolfmother, you suck!"

So, then I see that they won the grammy for the song "Woman" over Vicarious. So, I went on youtube and checked it out. Boy, when Mike Patton is right, he's right. I mean, Jet sucks, and they kinda seem like a poorman's Jet, at best, which defines the art of sucking musically like never before.

Then again, it's good to know that the kind of people who would go for that shit likely won't be at a Tool show, so we've got that going for us, which is nice.
02-12-2007, 07:24 AM

Right on!
Old 02-12-2007, 07:24 AM   #167
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: And the grammy goes to...

Right on!
omnitronic's Avatar omnitronic
02-12-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48&2 View Post
they lost to wolfmother, thats a good indication of how bad 10k days really was...
I don't think the Grammy's indicate much of anything.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:52 AM   #168
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 362

Quote:
they lost to wolfmother, thats a good indication of how bad 10k days really was...
I don't think the Grammy's indicate much of anything.
02-12-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
It's nice to see people falling back on the "grammys suck" response when something they think is amazing loses. I thought that went out of style.

No, the grammys really do suck, My Humps won one....and so did Sexy Back

Last edited by milair47; 02-12-2007 at 08:03 AM..
Old 02-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #169
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
It's nice to see people falling back on the "grammys suck" response when something they think is amazing loses. I thought that went out of style.

No, the grammys really do suck, My Humps won one....and so did Sexy Back

Last edited by milair47; 02-12-2007 at 08:03 AM..
Merkaba99's Avatar Merkaba99
02-12-2007, 08:06 AM

Wolfmother? Oh boy, what a state the world is in if a band that blatantly rips off Led Zeppelin & Sabbath can win a Grammy. Maybe the so-called panel of 'judges' are clapping themselves on the back right about now congratulating themselves on having managed to appeal to the lowest common denominator once again. At least I can console myself in the fact that Tool has never and will never need accolades from the mainstream in order to justify their music.

Oh, and seeing as this is my first post, hello to everyone out there in Tool land!

Last edited by Merkaba99; 02-12-2007 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: Additional info
Old 02-12-2007, 08:06 AM   #170
Level 1 - Lurker

Wolfmother? Oh boy, what a state the world is in if a band that blatantly rips off Led Zeppelin & Sabbath can win a Grammy. Maybe the so-called panel of 'judges' are clapping themselves on the back right about now congratulating themselves on having managed to appeal to the lowest common denominator once again. At least I can console myself in the fact that Tool has never and will never need accolades from the mainstream in order to justify their music.

Oh, and seeing as this is my first post, hello to everyone out there in Tool land!

Last edited by Merkaba99; 02-12-2007 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: Additional info
encrusted's Avatar encrusted
02-12-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milair47 View Post
My Humps won one...
that is hilarious - almost as hilarious as Tool winning a music award that doesn't involve actual music
Old 02-12-2007, 08:32 AM   #171
in the fade

Bincount™: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by milair47 View Post
My Humps won one...
that is hilarious - almost as hilarious as Tool winning a music award that doesn't involve actual music
ktdude's Avatar ktdude
02-12-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope View Post
wow. I LOVE the first one. the second is a combination of quite funky and quite crap.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:39 AM   #172
Level 9 3/4 - British

Bincount™: 15082

Quote:
wow. I LOVE the first one. the second is a combination of quite funky and quite crap.
Khastra_KSC's Avatar Khastra_KSC
02-12-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
lol @ u
Old 02-12-2007, 08:41 AM   #173
formerly [i]from death we are nothing[/i]

Bincount™: 173

Quote:
lol @ u
clarity.'s Avatar clarity.
02-12-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Best recording package?

Merzbow was robbed.
the merzcar lol
Old 02-12-2007, 08:44 AM   #174
a moon full of stars
Suicide Booth ID: 23

Bincount™: 6220

Quote:
Best recording package?

Merzbow was robbed.
the merzcar lol
02-12-2007, 08:49 AM

Grammies are voted by the musicians though, not the business people at the record companies, just the people directly involved in the music making process. thats what they say anyway. its too conservative, it always was, probably because a lot of non-rock musicians like jazz/classical musicians vote and for the most part I dont think they have a clue whats going on in rock music. blame it on radio in USA too, everything is just too conservative, nothing gets played. Dixie Chicks swept the awards as a fuck you to George Bush more than anything else. I enjpyed the show, though for the most part...
Old 02-12-2007, 08:49 AM   #175
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 41

Grammies are voted by the musicians though, not the business people at the record companies, just the people directly involved in the music making process. thats what they say anyway. its too conservative, it always was, probably because a lot of non-rock musicians like jazz/classical musicians vote and for the most part I dont think they have a clue whats going on in rock music. blame it on radio in USA too, everything is just too conservative, nothing gets played. Dixie Chicks swept the awards as a fuck you to George Bush more than anything else. I enjpyed the show, though for the most part...
Salvatorin
02-12-2007, 09:08 AM

Ugh i can't believe "Crazy Bitch" was nominated. That scares me. And anyways, why is Tool even in the "Hard Rock" category. Whats the "rock" category comprised of???
Old 02-12-2007, 09:08 AM   #176
Banned.

Location: Anywhere with the opportunity of being wooftacular!
Bincount™: 332

Ugh i can't believe "Crazy Bitch" was nominated. That scares me. And anyways, why is Tool even in the "Hard Rock" category. Whats the "rock" category comprised of???
Salvatorin
02-12-2007, 09:10 AM

But i don't think Tool has place among bands in the metal category. They had things like "slayer, stone sour, mastodon *cept tool toured with them*, and i forget..."
Old 02-12-2007, 09:10 AM   #177
Banned.

But i don't think Tool has place among bands in the metal category. They had things like "slayer, stone sour, mastodon *cept tool toured with them*, and i forget..."
eddie75's Avatar eddie75
02-12-2007, 09:17 AM

The Grammy's are a joke. Didn't Jethro Tull win the best Heavy Metal act grammy award one year???
Old 02-12-2007, 09:17 AM   #178
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1202

The Grammy's are a joke. Didn't Jethro Tull win the best Heavy Metal act grammy award one year???
GeorgeinNY's Avatar GeorgeinNY
02-12-2007, 09:21 AM

and Slayer won...
btw- the dumbest shit was that telephone poll thing about who was gonna sing with Timberlake, how fucking stupid and who the hell were those girls?

the worst pick of the night was Tony Bennett and Stevie Wonder winning for the best duet, when they had Shakira and Wyclef Jean in that category how could that song lose? I scratch my head.

worst performance were those people doing the Eagles medley, god they were horrible, and they won awards for best country acts, Carrie Underwood is the best new artist? she was horrible, and the guy I dont even know his name might as well pull a guy from the audience, it was utter crap. also the Motown medley was funny it was like lets go from great to good to crap in that order, I guess it goes to show you the current state of r n b.

best performance on the night- James Brown clip they played when they did the memory of those who passed segment, "Nighttrain"- goddamn that was amazing!
Old 02-12-2007, 09:21 AM   #179
Level 10 - Vehement

and Slayer won...
btw- the dumbest shit was that telephone poll thing about who was gonna sing with Timberlake, how fucking stupid and who the hell were those girls?

the worst pick of the night was Tony Bennett and Stevie Wonder winning for the best duet, when they had Shakira and Wyclef Jean in that category how could that song lose? I scratch my head.

worst performance were those people doing the Eagles medley, god they were horrible, and they won awards for best country acts, Carrie Underwood is the best new artist? she was horrible, and the guy I dont even know his name might as well pull a guy from the audience, it was utter crap. also the Motown medley was funny it was like lets go from great to good to crap in that order, I guess it goes to show you the current state of r n b.

best performance on the night- James Brown clip they played when they did the memory of those who passed segment, "Nighttrain"- goddamn that was amazing!
blair's man sausage's Avatar blair's man sausage
02-12-2007, 09:32 AM

eyes down please
Old 02-12-2007, 09:32 AM   #180
the inside man

Bincount™: 20548

eyes down please
02-12-2007, 09:42 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l89xJPi2U_Q

thats what Im talking about, sorry but when I watch this i get freaking shivers down the spine, how great is that? sorry for the bad audio quality....

thats the clip that was played during the show, the first minute of it, then someone came out(i didnt recongnize) and they hung Browns cape on the microphone stand, and went to commercial, I think it was a nice tribute.

Last edited by GeorgeinNY; 02-12-2007 at 09:47 AM..
Old 02-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #181
Level 10 - Vehement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l89xJPi2U_Q

thats what Im talking about, sorry but when I watch this i get freaking shivers down the spine, how great is that? sorry for the bad audio quality....

thats the clip that was played during the show, the first minute of it, then someone came out(i didnt recongnize) and they hung Browns cape on the microphone stand, and went to commercial, I think it was a nice tribute.

Last edited by GeorgeinNY; 02-12-2007 at 09:47 AM..
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
02-12-2007, 09:44 AM

Wow, I can't believe people actually watched the Grammys and/or took them seriously.

So now Adam Jones can put on his resume, what, "Grammy Award Winning graphics direction" or something? Does anyone give a shit?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #182
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Wow, I can't believe people actually watched the Grammys and/or took them seriously.

So now Adam Jones can put on his resume, what, "Grammy Award Winning graphics direction" or something? Does anyone give a shit?
02-12-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
http://www.discogs.com/image/R-802427-1160293510.jpeg

RIDE THE SPIRAL, AMIRITE MOPE?!!?!11
Old 02-12-2007, 09:47 AM   #183
The most Bosnianest of us all

Bincount™: 4279

Quote:
http://www.discogs.com/image/R-802427-1160293510.jpeg

RIDE THE SPIRAL, AMIRITE MOPE?!!?!11
hobblegobble's Avatar hobblegobble
02-12-2007, 10:01 AM

hilarious, anyone who thinks that winning a "grammy" is in any way, shape, or form a reward is sadly mistaken. What do you see at the grammy's? Half of the "artists" there have people WRITING songs for them. Tool definately does not belong to any "grammy" nomination category and certainly does NOT need to win one. Totally different league. Grammy's are for products.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:01 AM   #184
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 906

hilarious, anyone who thinks that winning a "grammy" is in any way, shape, or form a reward is sadly mistaken. What do you see at the grammy's? Half of the "artists" there have people WRITING songs for them. Tool definately does not belong to any "grammy" nomination category and certainly does NOT need to win one. Totally different league. Grammy's are for products.
ZeroPointEther's Avatar ZeroPointEther
02-12-2007, 10:09 AM

they will be sooooo bumbed out for not winning....
Old 02-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #185
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 132

they will be sooooo bumbed out for not winning....
Salvatorin
02-12-2007, 10:17 AM

yeah.......tool just loves the grammys!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:17 AM   #186
Banned.

yeah.......tool just loves the grammys!
over462
02-12-2007, 10:28 AM

Maybe the people on the board didn’t like or get the lyrics. (mindless fish).

Last edited by over462; 02-12-2007 at 11:16 AM..
Old 02-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #187
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Maybe the people on the board didn’t like or get the lyrics. (mindless fish).

Last edited by over462; 02-12-2007 at 11:16 AM..
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
02-12-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinDieselFiesta View Post
i'm sure they didn't even bother showing up to such a horrendous event.
Agreed
Old 02-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #188
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinDieselFiesta View Post
i'm sure they didn't even bother showing up to such a horrendous event.
Agreed
02-12-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bms46and2 View Post
eyes down please
i was waiting for that to be said.

football tap for you my friend.
riddle me this. once i was prominently displayed for all to see . I made many a man question his true desires. now however i am most likely packed away. However i could be a nice money maker for those who love to squeeze fake things. who or what am I?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #189
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bms46and2 View Post
eyes down please
i was waiting for that to be said.

football tap for you my friend.
riddle me this. once i was prominently displayed for all to see . I made many a man question his true desires. now however i am most likely packed away. However i could be a nice money maker for those who love to squeeze fake things. who or what am I?
eddie75's Avatar eddie75
02-12-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Those are both pretty hideous
Old 02-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #190
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1202

Quote:
Those are both pretty hideous
roadhouse86's Avatar roadhouse86
02-12-2007, 11:29 AM

weird al is a champion
Old 02-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #191
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 58

weird al is a champion
02-12-2007, 12:01 PM

I guess the award was based on how many ants you could kill with the packaging.
Does anyone else see how insidious this is? The reason God can never be disproved is because he can be defined as just about anything...and the reason he can be defined so freely is because there's absolutely no evidence for his existence. So...God can't be disproved because there's no evidence for him?! Does this strike anyone else as the least bit absurd?
Old 02-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #192
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1125

I guess the award was based on how many ants you could kill with the packaging.
Does anyone else see how insidious this is? The reason God can never be disproved is because he can be defined as just about anything...and the reason he can be defined so freely is because there's absolutely no evidence for his existence. So...God can't be disproved because there's no evidence for him?! Does this strike anyone else as the least bit absurd?
the midas touch
02-12-2007, 12:06 PM

Hey, I like Wolfmother. I saw 'em in concert about 9 months ago (before Joker and the Thief was big) and when that song played, I got hella hyphy.
They're young, raw, and catchy.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #193
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 372

Hey, I like Wolfmother. I saw 'em in concert about 9 months ago (before Joker and the Thief was big) and when that song played, I got hella hyphy.
They're young, raw, and catchy.
02-12-2007, 12:12 PM

...hyphy...I despise the word
Old 02-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #194
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 906

the midas touch
02-12-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobblegobble View Post
Hyphy movement '06.

bay game, bay slang
its a bay thang
so just know when you come to the bay man
stunnas is glasses
thins is wheels
rippers is broads
scrapers automobiles
hyphy is hyper
our version of crunk
thizzin is high
and perkin' is drunk

Words of wisdom*.

*Words of wisdom are generally denoted by italicization, as shown above.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:15 PM   #195
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobblegobble View Post
Hyphy movement '06.

bay game, bay slang
its a bay thang
so just know when you come to the bay man
stunnas is glasses
thins is wheels
rippers is broads
scrapers automobiles
hyphy is hyper
our version of crunk
thizzin is high
and perkin' is drunk

Words of wisdom*.

*Words of wisdom are generally denoted by italicization, as shown above.
02-12-2007, 12:29 PM

they deserve it
Old 02-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #196
Banned.

Bincount™: 4277

they deserve it
Metalgod666's Avatar Metalgod666
02-12-2007, 12:49 PM

That was a stupid loss indeed. Wolfmother sucks a fat one
Old 02-12-2007, 12:49 PM   #197
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

That was a stupid loss indeed. Wolfmother sucks a fat one
Jungmamr's Avatar Jungmamr
02-12-2007, 12:52 PM

that james brown clip fucking made my day! thanks for that
Old 02-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #198
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 10

that james brown clip fucking made my day! thanks for that
TheAlienGus's Avatar TheAlienGus
02-12-2007, 01:13 PM

Best qoute and one of the smartest things i've heard about this subject.
"Grammy's are for products"

I do not see any indication that tool is a product. On an emotional level.
However as irrelevent as the Grammy is, it is nice to see respect given when someone deserving recieves it. However i think tool and all those involved relieze that it is still a giant circle jerk.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #199
a dangerous man with a dangerous plan

Bincount™: 1832

Best qoute and one of the smartest things i've heard about this subject.
"Grammy's are for products"

I do not see any indication that tool is a product. On an emotional level.
However as irrelevent as the Grammy is, it is nice to see respect given when someone deserving recieves it. However i think tool and all those involved relieze that it is still a giant circle jerk.
Turok's Avatar Turok
02-12-2007, 01:24 PM

TOOL IS POP ;)
Old 02-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #200
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

TOOL IS POP ;)

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply