opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 04-23-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 12
"Holy Gift" and such theories debunked

*taken from an interview post on 10,000 days section. http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=43245*

VISIONS: Another side effect is that your psychedelic visual style and your image do fire your fans’ imagination. There are people who say you have to listen to Lateralus beginning with the centred song Parabola towards the outside, others see occult…
Keenan: That’s bullshit. That is all bullshit. Every human does search for moments in which all makes sense. And those who search in music, will find. People have developed countless theories about Tool songs and what they mean. Theories about the playing order on our albums or the lyrics which can be reduced to a numeric pattern. Occultism equals fear. Much like religions, radical people use the occult to manipulate others. Most people who are practising those strange disciplines want truth. Because they’re tired of the lies which are told to them.

quoted for truth. think, digest, reflect.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:02 AM   #2
Useful Idiot

Bincount™: 0
Re: "Holy Gift" and such theories debunked

apart from the meaning behind it or the holy gift thing (which i thought was crap anyway),
just musically speaking, that alternate track order and how the tracks blend in that way does make sence right?
Old 04-28-2006, 04:23 PM   #3
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

The Lateralus verses DO follow the Fibonacci sequence. Crazy coincidence if it wasn't done on purpose.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

He probably did...he never really gives you a straightforward breakdown of meaning and method.Which is the best gift because then you can explore a song with your right brain and not just your left.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:49 AM   #5
Banned.

Bincount™: 4396

You didn't ever beleive those crazy theories did you?
Old 04-30-2006, 12:14 PM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Of course, those mix-the-track-order-and-you-get-the-meaning-of-life theories were really crazy, but i still doesnt think that the fibonacci sequence was a coincidence.
(and i didnt appreciate the album more because of these theories, so i still love it:-))
Old 05-02-2006, 06:46 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

I listen to it in the "Holy Gift" order just because I think it actually flows better that way, not for any silly spiritual reason.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:47 PM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

It may be a good idea to keep salt on hand guys. Floyd fans know that the band long ago said that Dark Side of the Moon had nothing to do with the Wizard of Oz...which is total BS.

In this particular case: I don't think there's a "right order" to listen to the album in, but I think that there are interesting ways to rearrange it that place different emphasis on each song, and make your mind wander in different directions.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: