Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 04. 10,000 Days (Wings pt. 2)
User Name
Password
View Poll Results: Did 10,000 Days (Wings Pt. 2) Make You Cry?
Yes 153 47.81%
No 167 52.19%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

svet-am
04-19-2006, 06:03 AM

just a question, maybe it should be a poll. i, for one, cannot listen to it at all without crying. anyone else?
Old 04-19-2006, 06:03 AM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 9
Can anyone listen to this song and NOT break down crying?

just a question, maybe it should be a poll. i, for one, cannot listen to it at all without crying. anyone else?
04-19-2006, 06:07 AM

Same here....

Its so beautiful...

Like standing in the rain, looking at the grave of a lost loved one, reflecting upon their life...
Old 04-19-2006, 06:07 AM   #2
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 862
Re: Can anyone listen to this song and NOT break down crying?

Same here....

Its so beautiful...

Like standing in the rain, looking at the grave of a lost loved one, reflecting upon their life...
04-19-2006, 06:12 AM

havent been able to do it yet
Old 04-19-2006, 06:12 AM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 2268

havent been able to do it yet
tcM_Emperor
04-19-2006, 06:12 AM

It's amazing how I almost feel strange now that I DONT cry to this song..
Old 04-19-2006, 06:12 AM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 12

It's amazing how I almost feel strange now that I DONT cry to this song..
svet-am
04-19-2006, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systolic
Same here....

Its so beautiful...

well stated. i hear the thunder and i think of a lightning storm like what may've occurred during the War of the Angels. in context in the song, Maynard's Mom (are we 'allowed' to call her by first name?) ascends and is denied, so she gets angry and demands what is justly hers.

to me the thunder is a side-effect of her anger at being denied. i know that sounds obfuscated, but i hope it makes sense to someone. as a BTW, the thunder sound makes me think of the title screen for Mortal Kombat II :-P
Old 04-19-2006, 06:13 AM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 9

Quote:
Same here....

Its so beautiful...

well stated. i hear the thunder and i think of a lightning storm like what may've occurred during the War of the Angels. in context in the song, Maynard's Mom (are we 'allowed' to call her by first name?) ascends and is denied, so she gets angry and demands what is justly hers.

to me the thunder is a side-effect of her anger at being denied. i know that sounds obfuscated, but i hope it makes sense to someone. as a BTW, the thunder sound makes me think of the title screen for Mortal Kombat II :-P
04-19-2006, 06:14 AM

I just cant help but think of my grandfather who recently died of cancer. He was one of the strongest Christians I have ever known, and this song is an incredible representation of who he was.... Its so nostalgic.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:14 AM   #6
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 862

I just cant help but think of my grandfather who recently died of cancer. He was one of the strongest Christians I have ever known, and this song is an incredible representation of who he was.... Its so nostalgic.
04-19-2006, 06:22 AM

I didn't cry...but I got goosebumps the first time I heard it
Old 04-19-2006, 06:22 AM   #7
Watch the Weather Change

Bincount™: 4444

I didn't cry...but I got goosebumps the first time I heard it
orange.juice's Avatar orange.juice
04-19-2006, 06:38 AM

hm strange, this is the only song (talking about both parts) that didn't touch me on the first few listens. yet to come.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:38 AM   #8
Banned.

Bincount™: 932

hm strange, this is the only song (talking about both parts) that didn't touch me on the first few listens. yet to come.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
auralassassin
04-19-2006, 06:40 AM

Yea, there's nothing wrong with not crying to this song. Goosebumps, feeling weird... they are FEELINGS. As long as you feel SOMETHING, then the point must not be completely lost on you. Crying isn't necessarily a sign that you get it, either.

This isn't a sad song at all--it's a HAPPY song. It's about understanding and coming to peace. Maynard's mom is in a better place(as she believes, but not necessarily HE believes) But he can rest assuredly, knowing that she lived FULLY and died with her head held high--and in her last waking moments, she believed that she was on her way to a better place.

I don't know about you guys, but to me that IS Heaven. This is a song about understanding--a song about dealing with loss--those aren't sad tears you are crying, those are triumphant tears. And they are very healthy. And goosebumps are very healthy as well. Any stirring of emotion is a good thing here... as long as you realize the power of the message and you act on that message in a positive way, then this song may be a very powerful force in your life. It shows you how to LIVE and most importantly, how to handle death. Because I'll let you in on a little secret...

It comes to us all.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:40 AM   #9
Banned.

Bincount™: 10

Yea, there's nothing wrong with not crying to this song. Goosebumps, feeling weird... they are FEELINGS. As long as you feel SOMETHING, then the point must not be completely lost on you. Crying isn't necessarily a sign that you get it, either.

This isn't a sad song at all--it's a HAPPY song. It's about understanding and coming to peace. Maynard's mom is in a better place(as she believes, but not necessarily HE believes) But he can rest assuredly, knowing that she lived FULLY and died with her head held high--and in her last waking moments, she believed that she was on her way to a better place.

I don't know about you guys, but to me that IS Heaven. This is a song about understanding--a song about dealing with loss--those aren't sad tears you are crying, those are triumphant tears. And they are very healthy. And goosebumps are very healthy as well. Any stirring of emotion is a good thing here... as long as you realize the power of the message and you act on that message in a positive way, then this song may be a very powerful force in your life. It shows you how to LIVE and most importantly, how to handle death. Because I'll let you in on a little secret...

It comes to us all.
Opiate_Mass's Avatar Opiate_Mass
04-19-2006, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svet-am
i didn't cry, but it alligned my chakras and i got chills
Old 04-19-2006, 06:44 AM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by svet-am
i didn't cry, but it alligned my chakras and i got chills
Opiate_Mass's Avatar Opiate_Mass
04-19-2006, 06:46 AM

i'm waiting for some churchie to jump out and preach god to my arse -.-
Old 04-19-2006, 06:46 AM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 49

Rav's Avatar Rav
04-19-2006, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralassassin
I totally agree.

If you compare this song to earlier songs dealing with Maynard's mother (most obviously Judith) you can hear how he feels about her religious attitudes. However, this song represents a more mature take on the subject. Maynard has realised that this is what made his mother happy, it gave her purpose.

This isn't just happy, it's exhultant, it's Maynard crying out that he is proud of his mother and her life, that if anyone deserves heaven, it was his mother.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:52 AM   #12
Rav

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
I totally agree.

If you compare this song to earlier songs dealing with Maynard's mother (most obviously Judith) you can hear how he feels about her religious attitudes. However, this song represents a more mature take on the subject. Maynard has realised that this is what made his mother happy, it gave her purpose.

This isn't just happy, it's exhultant, it's Maynard crying out that he is proud of his mother and her life, that if anyone deserves heaven, it was his mother.
auralassassin
04-19-2006, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiate_Mass
The point of this isn't God... it's understanding and accepting that some people find peace in different ways. There is a very good lesson to be had here--don't ignore it, just because it might have a religious undertones or repercussions.

Don't be so closed minded... look what it got Maynard--you think he wouldn't go back and take back everything he said so that he could part on a better note with his mom? He's trying to teach you a lesson--pay the fuck attention.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:54 AM   #13
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiate_Mass
The point of this isn't God... it's understanding and accepting that some people find peace in different ways. There is a very good lesson to be had here--don't ignore it, just because it might have a religious undertones or repercussions.

Don't be so closed minded... look what it got Maynard--you think he wouldn't go back and take back everything he said so that he could part on a better note with his mom? He's trying to teach you a lesson--pay the fuck attention.
Ancalagon
04-19-2006, 06:58 AM

This song was absolutely gorgeous and shows amazing maturity for Maynard and Tool as a whole. This entire album shows a maturity they didn't have before, even when they were ascending to the heights of Lateralus. Maynard is understanding and appreciating his mother; even though he can never agree with Christianity, he is understanding the way it gives her peace and wishing he could give up all the offensive things he said about her just to get her back for one moment. AMAZING!!!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 06:58 AM   #14
On Probation

Bincount™: 0

This song was absolutely gorgeous and shows amazing maturity for Maynard and Tool as a whole. This entire album shows a maturity they didn't have before, even when they were ascending to the heights of Lateralus. Maynard is understanding and appreciating his mother; even though he can never agree with Christianity, he is understanding the way it gives her peace and wishing he could give up all the offensive things he said about her just to get her back for one moment. AMAZING!!!!!
Rav's Avatar Rav
04-19-2006, 07:01 AM

Quote:

Quoted For Truth.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:01 AM   #15
Rav

Quote:

Quoted For Truth.
crimble
04-19-2006, 07:27 AM

I listened to this song all last night without the lyrics, after reading the lyrics today, I just had to hold back the tears. WOW, I love this song more then any TOOL song to date. thyt says alot to me.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:27 AM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I listened to this song all last night without the lyrics, after reading the lyrics today, I just had to hold back the tears. WOW, I love this song more then any TOOL song to date. thyt says alot to me.
04-19-2006, 07:51 AM

This song just keeps growing on me, definately the standout tracks on the album. This song will go down as being one of Tools pinnacle songs of their career.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:51 AM   #17
Watch the Weather Change

This song just keeps growing on me, definately the standout tracks on the album. This song will go down as being one of Tools pinnacle songs of their career.
Bogart's Avatar Bogart
04-19-2006, 08:50 AM

It sure is up there. Its just so atmospheric and brooding...not to mention, the great lyrics.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:50 AM   #18
Watch the Weather Change

It sure is up there. Its just so atmospheric and brooding...not to mention, the great lyrics.
praefector's Avatar praefector
04-19-2006, 09:07 AM

i havent cried yet...

its certainly a moving song...but music doesnt make me cry unless theres something im already sad about
Old 04-19-2006, 09:07 AM   #19
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

i havent cried yet...

its certainly a moving song...but music doesnt make me cry unless theres something im already sad about
auralassassin
04-19-2006, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praefector
i havent cried yet...

Never been so happy that you've cried?

heh... have you ever SEEN Tool live? :P
Old 04-19-2006, 09:10 AM   #20
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praefector
i havent cried yet...

Never been so happy that you've cried?

heh... have you ever SEEN Tool live? :P
Andorion's Avatar Andorion
04-19-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange.juice
I felt the same way... I'm not really digging this song, there's something that feels lacking, it's a little too subdued, too droning. Maybe a few more listens. It's the most repetition song on the album, though.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:26 AM   #21
Avatar of the Gods (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange.juice
I felt the same way... I'm not really digging this song, there's something that feels lacking, it's a little too subdued, too droning. Maybe a few more listens. It's the most repetition song on the album, though.
HolyReality's Avatar HolyReality
04-19-2006, 10:26 AM

I haven't cried yet...but I can totally see myself at a crisis in the future and turning to this for relief and compassion and having a breakdown....the only song that I've actually cried to (for personal reasons) is pushit, particularly the live version...so full of emotion it makes me feel like I'm going to explode. but 10,000 Days is definitely gonna stand up there with tool's greats. I love it more and more everytime I listen to it.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:26 AM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

I haven't cried yet...but I can totally see myself at a crisis in the future and turning to this for relief and compassion and having a breakdown....the only song that I've actually cried to (for personal reasons) is pushit, particularly the live version...so full of emotion it makes me feel like I'm going to explode. but 10,000 Days is definitely gonna stand up there with tool's greats. I love it more and more everytime I listen to it.
Choice Breath's Avatar Choice Breath
04-19-2006, 10:39 AM

I just listened to it for the first time and I immediately came to the Wings Pt. 2 thread to see what people were saying, thinking I would start a thread about how I cried when I heard it.

Just sitting here thinking of the emotion behind the line that goes something like "your pillar of faith is here, give my my wings" I get tears in my eyes. There's so much behind it. A son watching his mother maintain her faith for 10,000 days while paralyzed and he's imagining her getting to the other side. It's almost like he's saying you better be there and you better give her her wings, she deserves them. Or, that he knows or thinks that won't happen and is imagining her reaction/emotional state upon finding out. I don't know, I can't express it all.

Maybe the most poignant song I've ever heard.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #23
Prana

Bincount™: 8

I just listened to it for the first time and I immediately came to the Wings Pt. 2 thread to see what people were saying, thinking I would start a thread about how I cried when I heard it.

Just sitting here thinking of the emotion behind the line that goes something like "your pillar of faith is here, give my my wings" I get tears in my eyes. There's so much behind it. A son watching his mother maintain her faith for 10,000 days while paralyzed and he's imagining her getting to the other side. It's almost like he's saying you better be there and you better give her her wings, she deserves them. Or, that he knows or thinks that won't happen and is imagining her reaction/emotional state upon finding out. I don't know, I can't express it all.

04-19-2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice Breath

Very well put. I cant describe how emotional this song is. Its absolutely incredible. Tool have really outdone themselves.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:56 AM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice Breath

Very well put. I cant describe how emotional this song is. Its absolutely incredible. Tool have really outdone themselves.
FickMyDuck's Avatar FickMyDuck
04-19-2006, 11:08 AM

Can someone PLEASE tell me where the hell are people listneing to these songs?
Old 04-19-2006, 11:08 AM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 5

04-19-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FickMyDuck
Careful you could be banned even for inquiring.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:21 AM   #26
Banned.

Bincount™: 267

Quote:
Originally Posted by FickMyDuck
Careful you could be banned even for inquiring.
champion's Avatar champion
04-19-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Same here....

Its so beautiful...

Isn't the album fake, though? Didn't you have proof?
Old 04-19-2006, 11:45 AM   #27
Banned.

Bincount™: 360

Quote:
Same here....

Its so beautiful...

Isn't the album fake, though? Didn't you have proof?
LordMandinga's Avatar LordMandinga
04-19-2006, 12:01 PM

I have yet to cry listening to this song, but its amazing.

I've actually met Maynards mother before she passed. I live in Ravenna, Oh and my neighbor worked at the nursing home she was in. I guess MJK would stop in time to time. It always gave the song jimmy a little more meaning.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:01 PM   #28
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

I have yet to cry listening to this song, but its amazing.

I've actually met Maynards mother before she passed. I live in Ravenna, Oh and my neighbor worked at the nursing home she was in. I guess MJK would stop in time to time. It always gave the song jimmy a little more meaning.
blabber's Avatar blabber
04-19-2006, 12:08 PM

I might cry if the song had dynamics, and any sort of emotional progression, but because it drones the same thing troughout, i just want to throw on Lateralus.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:08 PM   #29
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I might cry if the song had dynamics, and any sort of emotional progression, but because it drones the same thing troughout, i just want to throw on Lateralus.
osmosis2k's Avatar osmosis2k
04-19-2006, 12:23 PM

Kabir was right in saying this was going to rewrite our expectations of epic songs by tool (Third Eye, Pushit).
As much as I love those songs, this is definite notch up and thats hard to imagine as it is.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:23 PM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

Kabir was right in saying this was going to rewrite our expectations of epic songs by tool (Third Eye, Pushit).
As much as I love those songs, this is definite notch up and thats hard to imagine as it is.
Vegama
04-19-2006, 12:23 PM

I don't cry, but I get chills, every time.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:23 PM   #31

I don't cry, but I get chills, every time.
Gustavs01's Avatar Gustavs01
04-19-2006, 12:26 PM

Cry!?! You bunch of babies what would your Goverment think of you crying over someone elses loss LMAO!
Old 04-19-2006, 12:26 PM   #32
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Cry!?! You bunch of babies what would your Goverment think of you crying over someone elses loss LMAO!
04-19-2006, 12:37 PM

I haven't cried whilst listening to it, I sort of wish I could, though. Like, it gives me goosebumps and makes me feel emotional, but for some reason my body just won't let out any tears. Maybe I'm dead inside.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:37 PM   #33
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

I haven't cried whilst listening to it, I sort of wish I could, though. Like, it gives me goosebumps and makes me feel emotional, but for some reason my body just won't let out any tears. Maybe I'm dead inside.
zac's Avatar zac
04-19-2006, 12:49 PM

"Can anyone listen to this song and NOT break down crying?" Yes me. Not trying to sound tough, just answering. This song did not move me, I enjoy listening to it though. I don't care much for the lyrics.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:49 PM   #34
zac
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

"Can anyone listen to this song and NOT break down crying?" Yes me. Not trying to sound tough, just answering. This song did not move me, I enjoy listening to it though. I don't care much for the lyrics.
Sancho88
04-19-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac
How can you not care for the lyrics? Are you kidding?
Old 04-19-2006, 12:50 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac
zac's Avatar zac
04-19-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho88
No? I'm not kidding.....What do you mean how can I not.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:57 PM   #36
zac
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho88
No? I'm not kidding.....What do you mean how can I not.
hbynoe's Avatar hbynoe
04-19-2006, 01:21 PM

i think i broke down today for the first time taking it all in..
such beauty..such sadness..what a way to accept..tool have moved
me again in ways that i didn't think they could.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:21 PM   #37
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

i think i broke down today for the first time taking it all in..
such beauty..such sadness..what a way to accept..tool have moved
me again in ways that i didn't think they could.
04-19-2006, 01:39 PM

Where is everyone getting it???? AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

this band changed my life
Old 04-19-2006, 01:39 PM   #38
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 30

Where is everyone getting it???? AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

this band changed my life
Vegama
04-19-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac
The lyrics are amazing, no matter what you apply them to.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:56 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac
The lyrics are amazing, no matter what you apply them to.
meatchunk's Avatar meatchunk
04-19-2006, 02:17 PM

All I know is this song better be tha shit to make so many people cry. I haven't heard it yet... gonna wait it out til the 2nd.
I know Adam said he gets choked up playing it, I'm just surprised how many others are as well.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:17 PM   #40
Banned.

Bincount™: 267

All I know is this song better be tha shit to make so many people cry. I haven't heard it yet... gonna wait it out til the 2nd.
I know Adam said he gets choked up playing it, I'm just surprised how many others are as well.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply