opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 01. The Grudge
User Name
Password
Old 04-24-2006, 04:11 AM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3
Time Signature?

Hi all,

I've been reading in a few places (Wikipedia pops to mind most readily) that this song is in 10/8.

I.. don't really know what else to say, other than I'm only getting the feeling of 5/4. I can count the beats in the bar, and they only add up to five, not two-long-and-two-short as in The Patient..
So, as far as I can see, unless the beat grouping is 2-2-2-2-2 (which is just 5/4 anyway...), then the song is really in 5/4, not 10/8. The bits at 1:13 and 6:25 really cement that thought into place.

Anybody got any firm evidence of the actual time signature of The Grudge? This has been bugging me for a while now...

for those that are interested, I hold a Diploma in Music Composition, so I'm not just some random freak that doesn't know shit about music that's trying to sound good.... I'm some random Composer, and that's a difference! (albeit not much....)
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Time Signature?

It's been a while since I've had any actual musical schooling, and I don't know a lot of theory, but given the speed of the song I always considered it to be doubletime making it 10/8. Though I agree the two times you mentioned definitely feel more like a 5/4.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:39 PM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfnkblvbl
Hi all,

I've been reading in a few places (Wikipedia pops to mind most readily) that this song is in 10/8.

I.. don't really know what else to say, other than I'm only getting the feeling of 5/4. I can count the beats in the bar, and they only add up to five, not two-long-and-two-short as in The Patient..
So, as far as I can see, unless the beat grouping is 2-2-2-2-2 (which is just 5/4 anyway...), then the song is really in 5/4, not 10/8. The bits at 1:13 and 6:25 really cement that thought into place.

Anybody got any firm evidence of the actual time signature of The Grudge? This has been bugging me for a while now...
As far as i can hear, the beginning is in 8/8, grouped as 2-2-2-2, then the rest is in 10/8 with the grouping being 3-3-2-2.

the part that I hear in 5/4 is the slower heavy part, where the tempo seems cut in half, the count feels more on the quarter note.

the part with the 30 second scream is in alternating bars of 8/8 and 9/8.

i don't know, maybe i'm not right, you have more schooling that me, i'm only a second year composition student, but that's what I hear.

Last edited by Un coup de dés; 05-02-2006 at 11:34 PM..
Old 05-03-2006, 12:25 AM   #4
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un coup de dés
As far as i can hear, the beginning is in 8/8, grouped as 2-2-2-2, then the rest is in 10/8 with the grouping being 3-3-2-2.

the part that I hear in 5/4 is the slower heavy part, where the tempo seems cut in half, the count feels more on the quarter note.

the part with the 30 second scream is in alternating bars of 8/8 and 9/8.

i don't know, maybe i'm not right, you have more schooling that me, i'm only a second year composition student, but that's what I hear.
the intro is in 5.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

so i've been told, but i can't help hearing it in 8
Old 05-25-2006, 03:55 AM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 55

isn't 10/8 identical to 5/4? it is in maths lol
Old 05-26-2006, 05:25 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

it is in 10/8 because the eighth note gets the beat in this song. You are giving it a quarter-note feel which is why you think its in 5/4. You actually count the beats twice as fast, so actually you're counting two beats to each quarter you count in. Basically, its the same thing because the measures are still the same length regardless of counting in either time sig. Just count twice as fast and you'll get the 10/8. It may seem pointless that there is a difference, but this song naturally has an even numbered time sig (unlike say Jambi with 9/8, making it easier to tell that again the eighth note gets the beat).

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: