opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima
User Name
Password
Old 12-22-2002, 07:40 AM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
tool songs - their purpose

i dont know if i came up with this myself, or im quoting someone i read (if i did, well, you have my gratitude) but I've always thought of tool songs not to have just one specific meaning (eg. stinkfist is about the desensitization of people) but i prefer to treat the music as a sort of 'background music to life'. I think this is somthing all of us tool fans feel. Each songs seems to speak to you in one particular time, in one particular phase of your day. What I've noticed from my friends who like tool, is that they tend to go through phases, where theres one song they just cannot stop listening to, (actually, i wonder if this is more common. If it is, please say so) i think it has to do with the fact that each individual songs creates a mood for a particular emotion, and in that, a song is not about a particular feeling (eg. jerk off is about rage) jerk off IS rage (well, actually, i think thats triad) thats why tool music is so focused on creating an atmopshere. I mean, we all know that mr. Jones can solo, and do it quite well (listen to the background in 3rd eye) he still does solo, but theyre more drawn out individual notes rather then they are all- out solos. The thing that seperates tool from most others is the fact that, rather then talk ABOUT how they felt when something happened, the music is about WHAT they were going through when it happened, and WHAT they (as well as us) feel/ felt.

To go through a few examples. I feel reflection is exaclty what they title says, a time of reflection. The talk about the 'million light reflections' and crucifying the ego, is all about those few minutes we have once in a while, there we actually have to stop, and reflect on ourselves, the times when we see ourselves for ourselves i.e. by crucifying the ego. The last line really is an urge to do this ('so crucify the ego before its far too late')

4 degrees, i think, is when you realize something new about yourself. You go digging, bring it out and take it back. You show yourself another way. In a sense, the song is made in atmosphere about shedding you skin.

Then ofcourse, you have songs like ticks and leaches, which is somehting we've all probably felt, when someone you know is acting like a 'blood sucking parasitic tick'. And a song like lateralus, is about moving beyond yourself, and drawing yourself outside the lines.

I think some songs however, are just maynard talking to us (well, considering the alternative press article' talking at us. Telling not the be sodomized [prison sex] etc etc.

Well, thats my 2 cents (or something like that) i believe tool music is really a background song to how we feel. And because of that, i often feel each individual song reminds me of someone i know, perhaps because i feel that what the song is saying, relates to them, or my relationship with them.

well, do reply. And please forgive and spelling / punctuation mistakes.

Crucify The Ego....
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 09:46 AM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

aneerrudh- It is very true that Tool fans, or atleats me, go through stages with the different songs, where they are obbsessed with one song for a while. That song right now for me is H., because I have finally found a girl that i really connect with, which is what that song is pretty much about.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:07 PM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I agree. I definately go through those phases too...I'm in love with Third Eye right now and a few weeks ago it was Stinkfist. Maybe it'll be Opiate tomorrow? who knows? but that's the Beauty of Tool....you never know...
Old 01-10-2003, 02:52 AM   #4
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 15
Ah the stages.

I seem to be coming out of my Jimmy stage and entering my No Quarter stage.

Like a fried of mine, H was the longest stage for me. I was so hoping Tool would satisfy my urge with a live version at the Melbourne concert last year but no such luck. It took me a good long dose of the song to get me out of that one.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:40 PM   #5
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 35
For me right now, it's The Patient. I'm being put in a tough situation between two feuding friends, one of which is trying to get me to hate the other. Many of you have probably been here before. I'm remaining neutral, and it's not easy. I'm trying my best to get them to be friends again, but this won't happen overnight. I must be patient.

Pro Art (Protocol Artisan)
Old 01-16-2003, 03:29 AM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16
i'm at a Lateralus stage right now, i'm at a really positive point in my life and this song fits in really well for me, i feel its about optimism and expanding my mind, i feel so spiritual when i listen to this song it's truly uplifting
Old 01-16-2003, 01:02 PM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

Life music

My phase for the moment is Ticks and Leeches (thats whats playing as I write this) with a few touches of Ænema becuase I feel a lot of my friends and life in general is just sucking everything out of me. Ive lost my patience because it just doenst stop. God, just do your own work and dont make me practically do it for you! And all I can think about is you all suck and this is why, you live your little superficial lives, all you acting means nothing to me! Get a goddamn life and if you dont want to go drown yourselves or something, or just leave me alone. Im pissed now and im hoping that once the angers gone Ill get a little more spiritual mood as usual, get in touch with myself, and move to something more along those lines.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: