opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-23-2006, 02:56 PM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/22 - Detroit, MI - Palace of Auburn Hills

Thought the show was incredible. It's hard to compare it to the 3 other times I've seen them because this time I was on shrooms. Not enough to severely distort things, but enough to make it sound and feel a little different. Was very high, especially thanks to the j's we sparked up.

My seats were great, except for the 60-year-old couple next to me that was WASTED before Tool even started. She told me (twice) that I have "nice lips." Ha. The old bat wouldn't stop talking to me during the show (saying things out of nowhere like "My son is in the army. He's doing something for our country!") and when I finally told her to stop, she called me a dick and continued insulting me throughout the show. I tried my best to ignore her, and she eventually got better and apologized before she left.

I don't know if I'd call the Pot thing a "screwup." I thought it was kind of cool how he paused and then started up again right in line with Justin.

I thought the audio was great overall, but that the vocals sounded drowned out a little too much. Of course, NBA arenas are notorious for bad acoustics, though.

I wish I could get a recording of that astounding electronic/ambient sounding jam they played before Vicarious. That was great.

I emerged from the concert with a new appreciation for Wings for Marie and Aenema, in particular. Both songs totally blew me away.

I'm glad they played most of 10,000 Days. It's become my favorite album, and I've already heard most of their Lateralus and Aenema stuff live. I also find the post-Undertow stuff grossly inferior to everything before it, so the set list was pretty much exactly what I wanted.

And what about the thunderstorm that was waiting for us on the outside? I thought that added some nice flavor to the night.

Last edited by MrPot; 09-24-2006 at 01:36 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-23-2006, 03:11 PM   #42
Level 2 - Poster

H
Hilton
Loved the Oompa Loompas that you hired for tech. Loved the Lakers jersey Danny almost ripped off his body to show us, he's not a fair weather fan. He really love the Lakers.
This band is by far the best band in the world (under 50, alive, not broken up).
The way it all comes together is unbelievable, and only happens once in a life time.
I still think they all sold their souls to the devil(s).
I love listening to all the stories from all the old school punks that live in my area, talk about how when Maynard lived in G.R. he was so weird and quiet. Thanks for being that and doing something with it. WHY BE NORMAL?
This was show was way... better than Chicago's warm-up. The crowd was horrible in CHI-town, Way to cool to act like they were witnessing the best band they have ever seen. Dammed Art fags anyway. The energy at the Palace last night was amazing. I get goose bumps just thinking about it. I find it hard to believe that Ohio and Kansas where louder.
I love the Circus, Every 3rd person is so different from the next. It blows my mind to see 60 year old couples with their Tool shirts on and wearing matching fanny packs. Then you have people who are Goth, artsy, nuckle heads, skin heads , hippies, the college buttrock Abercrombie & Fitch guys with their really cute chickies. and then their are people like us (my husband & I) 30ish midwestern moms and dads who get it and love it.
After the show we sat in the back of the Subaru with the hatch up watching the storm pass, watching people running to their cars in the down pour. We even handed out a few PBR's to a few poor souls who couldn't find their cars. It was such a great time, it always is and always will be.
P.S. Hope the guys stayed at the Auburn Hills, Hilton. Down pillows, mini kitchen and Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries.
Thanks guys for leaving home, comfort, loved ones, health, life! Just so we can see you guys once again.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-23-2006, 04:07 PM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my fourth Tool show and my second this year. I saw them at the Fox and I believe that was a much better show than the one at the Palace last night. In all honesty, this was the worst Tool show I've seen. Now take that with a small grain of salt. A bad Tool show in my opinion is 85% better than most of the other concerts you will ever go to. All in all I thought the band seemed especially removed from the crowd. Maynard spoke very little during the show. The stage compared to other shows I've seen was unusually bland. The lasers were pretty unimpressive, I think I seen a better laser show at Dio in 1983, but I digress. The set list was an exact copy of the one in Ohio the night before, which kind of took the surprise out of the show. It was nice to hear the Pot, Wings for Marie, 10,000 Days, which I've not seen them perform before. For any Tool fans out there who caught the Lateralus tour, that show was much better, with more visuals, more effects and they dug a little deeper into the catalog. Anyway...I'm glad I got to see them at the Fox or I would have been pretty disappointed with this tour, and we all know how long it takes for them to release another album.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-23-2006, 06:11 PM   #44
Level 1 - Lurker

I now have a whole new level of respect for the band. I hope they tour here again, and I can go. Needless to say, it was worth the 4 hour drive down there.

I might go to Gigantour tomorrow.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-23-2006, 07:03 PM   #45
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

This was my first Tool concert and I was blown away. First off, I would like to say the sound was great. (I was in the front row Seat AA 5) The light show was just amazing and durring Rossetta Stoned I liked the video of the drifter. I wish Maynard talked more but seeing him do some cowboy air shooting was good enough. His screams were dead on and so was everyone else in the band. Danny was very amazing. First time I've seen him drum. Adam was really awesome to see play, and Justin, wow Jambi really made him shine for me. I would have to say Lateralus was my favorite to hear as well. But, the sped up version of Schism was great. My friend and I got down there and waited about 4 hours at the palace. I think we were the first ones there for the concert.

Highlights of the show:

1) Pretty sure I saw a nun there.
2) Got to see Tool.
3) Getting to upgrade to front row seats.
4) Maynard's dances.

Cons:

1) The douche bag who was talking crap to my friend.
2) The dude that looked like the guy from X-men 2 who was VERY annoying.
3) It had to end.

Contact me at [email protected] for any questions or just to talk about Tool or anything.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-23-2006, 08:29 PM   #46
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionloot View Post
it wasnt maynard who messed up on the pot .it was the crowd not being able to help him out thats why there was a studder.. i was in row 5 sec. b right in the middle
It was Justin who fucked up The Pot, not the crowd or Maynard. Maynard studdered because the bass didnt kick in when he started singing the second part.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-23-2006, 10:41 PM   #47
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 9

i guess it deleted or farted out my post, so all i'm gonna say is i danced my ass off(am sore as fahk now), leaned over the bow(glass) of the titanic and touched the dolphins nose (was reprimanded for such action), and maybe saw the show from the best seat in the house (223 row 1, though there wasn't a bad seat, i'm sure). tool gives me the most stimulating live synergetic and spiritual experience of anything out there, that i've seen. i've never seen godspeed though. or cirque de' soliel... my entire body moves to this music, and i'm not one to move my feet in the least. highlights: the whole show, but especially the deviations, intros (esp. 46&2/Vicarious), wings/10k days (and the clouds in the lasers!!), (vastis) lateralis is always amazing to groove to but last night it sounded especially crisp and toneful, and the stage set up was the best, most ingenius one yet. some alex grey backdrops would beat out the parabolic light bulbs though, in my book. all in all, the 10th and best (like the rest) tool show i've seen.

transmission over.

the crowd fucked up the pot, if you listen to that audio on the video dude made, u can hear the drunken douchebags screaming in between his lines. this put the rhythm off on maynard and thus justin's cue cuz maynard looked like he wasn't gonna sing but did. maynard waits for second line to be sung by the crowd then he sings it, followed by appropo time for third line after he sang the second. douchbags made it longer. i blame douchebags. either that or that fart i dealt.

love each other. even douchebags. no.. especially douchebags.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:12 AM   #48
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrobert6 View Post
This was my fourth Tool show and my second this year. I saw them at the Fox and I believe that was a much better show than the one at the Palace last night. In all honesty, this was the worst Tool show I've seen. Now take that with a small grain of salt. A bad Tool show in my opinion is 85% better than most of the other concerts you will ever go to. All in all I thought the band seemed especially removed from the crowd. Maynard spoke very little during the show. The stage compared to other shows I've seen was unusually bland. The lasers were pretty unimpressive, I think I seen a better laser show at Dio in 1983, but I digress. The set list was an exact copy of the one in Ohio the night before, which kind of took the surprise out of the show. It was nice to hear the Pot, Wings for Marie, 10,000 Days, which I've not seen them perform before. For any Tool fans out there who caught the Lateralus tour, that show was much better, with more visuals, more effects and they dug a little deeper into the catalog. Anyway...I'm glad I got to see them at the Fox or I would have been pretty disappointed with this tour, and we all know how long it takes for them to release another album.

I agree with you all the way. This show was definitely lacking the punch of the Lateralus and Aenima days. No songs from Undertow, and the visuals were not nearly as good as I expected. Anyone remember the last Palace show in 2001 when they had Odysseus Labyrint (the 2 contortionists from the Schism video) hanging naked from the ceiling by only 1 rope wrapped around their feet? I guess the days of really trying to impress us are over. With that said though, it was still a good show.

Maynard needs to stop getting further away from the crowd if he wants everyone to be louder than Ohio.

Last edited by Rockotaco1; 09-24-2006 at 07:16 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 07:39 AM   #49
Level 2 - Poster

Much to my dismay, it was a Kobe jersey, I forgot he changed his number for this year.

------------------
15Jul97 - Pine Knob - Clarkston, MI
15May06 - Fox Theatre - Detroit, MI
22Sep06 - Palace of Auburn Hills, MI
03Jul07 - Pine Knob - Clarkston, MI
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 07:48 AM   #50
Level 2 - Poster

The show is out....and about.....smokin trout
"I got a rhyme that costs a DIME and you all are invited"
But forget the time, its Tool Time with Tim the Tool man Taylor

Did anyone else hate the floor?
There was more security guards on the floor then the entire venue. The seats sucked ass in the floor, and were more uncomfortable then a mosh pit. Who wants floor when you can't see the screens, and your bowl seats have friggin cupholders, and cushions.....
Inclined bowl seats make a fair sight for most heigths, with not even a fight.
I expect a floor to offer free movement, and a advantage of finding your own place on the floor.
Ticketmaster needs to disclose more about its ticket search tactics, and elaborate on the science of the system, so the general public knows they are getting the best ticket. Or could this be venues box offices fault?

Also those who expect, or want Maynard to be personal, and talkative.......do we ethically have a right to that when we paid for a music performance? Or should we be happy he even said anything personable? Maybe some would rather hear less chatter and more music....

O/T: But APC at the Palace was better.......just my two cents

Last edited by rpringnitz; 09-24-2006 at 11:51 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 08:29 AM   #51
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 6th show and my 2nd at the Palace. The show was awesome!!! I was at the Fox warm up show and I think they were sharp this time around.

The List:

Stinkfist
The Pot
46&2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings for Mary
10,000 Days

Encore

Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

They had a little slip up when they played The Pot. It seemed like that when Maynard sang the third verse they weren't on cue. Over all the concert kicked ass. Rosetta Stoned was propably the highlight for me. It sounded really good, much better than the warm up tour. Lateralus sounded excellent and so did wings and 10000 days. The visual on the stage were kick ass. The whole stage was a screen and that was cool. The show was much louder then the 1st one at the Palace. I wish they would of played Undertow and Opiate. Maybe next time around, see you guys next year.

Last edited by F.A.T.E; 09-24-2006 at 08:40 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 11:54 AM   #52
Level 4 - Thinker

I've been to many a-concert in my old age. I must admit, this one fucking rocked! I was more than expecting it to, but ... damn. It rocked. I was expecting Maynard to be a little more on the personality side, to be honest, but it's good to see that they're smart enough to let the music do the talking.
The fans seemed way into the show, which was good. I've been to some concerts where everyone is a dead fish. Actually, a lot like the guy who passed out and had to be carried off with literally a minute to go before Tool took the stage. Big whoops! Johnnie had too much good time.
And Isis sucked. Can they drop them and add a song or two to the linup? I mean, really. It's not that they're horrendous - there's many worse opening bands they could have had; I"m thinking specifically of Tommy Shaw. But nonetheless, when you notice that the keyboardist is Napoleon Dynamite, it's time to move on. And, when you notice there's a grand total of 37 guitarists for one song, it's time to move one. When they started, I took off for a beer. And, I can honestly tell you, the farther away I went, the better they sounded. So, by my estimation, if I was 2 miles away when Isis was playing, they'd almost sound decent!
Anyhow, I'm going nowhere with this.
tool rocked

Don
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 01:42 PM   #53
Level 3 - Talker

This was my third TOOL show and the first concert ever where I knew the setlist before hand. I was worried it would take away from the show but thankfully it did no such thing. I was sitting stage left (sec 103) and fairly close. Was almost right in line with Maynard and Danny. I could see all the visuals I needed to see but more importantly had just about the best view of Danny (whom I just watched most of the show). To me it didn't sound like Maynard had been sick only a few days before. The whole band sounded on.

One thing I noticed was that the band seems much relaxed from the last tour. Maybe a little less serious. Not in the performing aspect of course, but more from a vibe standpoint. Maynard joking around a little instead of getting the crowd to "think for themselves" and whatnot. Neither of which I mind at all.

Hightlights for me were "Wings 1 & 2", Rosetta, Lateralus and Aenema. Overall it was a great show. Can't say it was better or worse than the other two I've seen. They're all the best shows in my book.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 03:50 PM   #54
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Great show, they definitely rocked out.

I thought the crowd was kind of quiet. I was on the side of the stage directly across from Adam, and the show itself was super loud, but the crowd wasn't that loud. I think the seats on main floor screwed up the vibe.

The Palace sucks. There. I said it.

I absolutely hate the acoustics in that place. I plugged my ears for half of the show just so I could hear Maynard clearly.

All in all a great show, Fox was definitely a better vibe....still had a great time. :)
Old 09-24-2006, 05:11 PM   #55
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

Concert was awesome. I can now die happy. I think that the sound was perfect. Maynard sounded like a god on steroids. The visuals for Jambi made the song 10,000 times better. The whole thing kicked all of our asses.

PS: Any of you guys have any live recordings of this? I'll mail you 2 blank CDs if you can send me back one with a recording and/or video. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:55 PM   #56
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Hey, does anyone have any pictures/videos they would send me? I was right up front Sec 103. Front row, not in seats though. Thanks.

Contact me at [email protected] for any questions or just to talk about Tool or anything.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 07:05 PM   #57
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockotaco1 View Post
Clip of Maynard messing up during the pot tonight hehe. He musta been sooo high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbLpW86w-oE

Small clip of Aenima!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99gWbZT5-lY
its no big deal, but how can you say maynard messed up the pot? some people say tool don't do enough different and new things in songs live to make things jazzed up a bit.

well tool shows exactly why in the first two songs they play.

first stinkfist. they have the extended part. which is farely well known and everyone still sings the first line or two way to early.

second with the pot. maynard and the band have to all hit at just the right time in the beginning and you have 15 to 20 thousand people singing the lyrics way to early.

i personally would find that a bit difficult and i too may get thrown off every now and again.

so blame the crowd not maynard for the mistake...
riddle me this. once i was prominently displayed for all to see . I made many a man question his true desires. now however i am most likely packed away. However i could be a nice money maker for those who love to squeeze fake things. who or what am I?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 07:11 PM   #58
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

I was sitting in:

Section 102
Row L
Seat 114

I think I saw you, antcrusher, along with you girl friend. We had some awesome seats. Full review posted soon, after I watch the whole show all over again from a video that I found.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:24 PM   #59
Level 1 - Lurker

Tool - Palace of Auburn Hills

First Tool show, completely blown away. Lasers were a nice touch, definitely made for some of the lacking stage-show.

Only downer was waiting for traffic to filter out within the hour. Oh and while waiting, in section 5A of the parking lot, a high-five to the bloke who pissed on a truck in front of us, who just so happened to be wearing a Tool Collective shirt. What a hero. peace
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 09:11 PM   #60
Level 2 - Poster

I saw the show and the sound sucked from our seats.

I shouldn't have had a 40 before the show because I had to piss real bad for the last two songs.

I went back stage and shot the shit with Joe Slaby (drum tech) for a looong time and that was cooler than seeing the show. I felt bad for every one who had back stage passes. These kids just sat there for an hour or two and then they were asked to leave. Hahah. What's the point of back stage passes?

Backstage I learned that they went easy on the set list with songs that Maynard wouldn't have to strain his voice too much. I could have picked his brain all night. Very cool guy.

The lights on the "disco stage" were sweet, especially right in the beginning with the green and black squares.

Wasn't the best show I've been too but it was free and I love talking to Joe. Thanks a million.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 11:23 PM   #61
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrobert6 View Post

This tour is more pre-determined I think, but just my own speculation. Light shows being so timed would have a schedule to stick to, and the set's are planned. Granted the only job Tool has is to make music, and if they like tour. If you were an artist, and if you had a show like this tour or NIN's last couple tours, you would be hard pressed to improv, or go unscripted. Instead of Maynard training for his 1-2 step with backup dancers, and choreography (spelling?) trainers, he puts on 2 hours of planned entertainment. A show of instruments and music yes. But hours of thought, planning, and fine tuning of the visual experience in sync with your tunes.
You would love to think it was as easy as double clicking a movie file to play a visualization, or hit a button to make a strobe / laser go off, but it's not, or this stuff would be more common.

They didn't dig old school, but that is for another time. This is 10,000 Days the album....like half a decade of waiting. You can probably make fair judgement the tour will be dominated by 10,000 Days with such short set lists in terms of number of songs played.

In comparison to Nine Inch Nail's, Trent does keep many older songs alive, verbatim repeated show after show almost every time. But many NIN fans would prefer much different setlists then what was offered. Even tho they were treated with almost 20 song setlists.....
Be happy...
You saw Tool's vision of what they wanted you to have for 10,000 Days promotional tour.

Last edited by rpringnitz; 09-24-2006 at 11:32 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 04:12 AM   #62
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeefsmeef View Post
I was sitting in:

Section 102
Row L
Seat 114

I think I saw you, antcrusher, along with you girl friend. We had some awesome seats. Full review posted soon, after I watch the whole show all over again from a video that I found.

Sorry! I was there with my fiance', 102 row F seats 17 and 18, right on the isleway by the pauly shore looking security guard. Steve is bald with a full face beard. You should have yelled my name!! :)
Old 09-25-2006, 05:03 AM   #63
Level 1 - Lurker

Someone thought Maynard said "Behave."
It was when they walked out, the crowd booed Danny's Lakers jersey and when
Maynard got to the mic he said, "Behave."
Great show, I always like the sound inside the Palace compared to most indoor
concert venues.
Band sounded great, Maynard wasn't his best but still very good.
Stage show wasn't as amazing as previous concerts, but it was intentionally
minimalist...so taking it for what it was it was very good.
Seemed like they started the show late, and maybe that's why Maynard didn't
say much...well that and maybe saving his voice for actually singing.
His whole, wrap up quick to get back to internet porn was pretty funny.
It's always funny seeing him standing next to the rest of the band, Danny looks
like he's 6'3" with HUGE arms...and Maynard looks to be about the size of Danny's
arms.
I didn't get my usual notice that Tool was coming to town, so I actually
found out they were coming the day before the show, and I bought my tickets
the day of the concert and got section 114, 7 rows from the floor on the
aisle...awesome seats...especially for last minute tickets.
Tool is one of the few bands I always try to see whenever they come to town,
and they never dissapoint.
~ÐL
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 05:33 AM   #64
Level 1 - Lurker

Second TOOL show, despite being a fan from waaaay back. Having kids will do that to ya!

Anyway, the show rocked. Took my friend who's had exposure thanks to me, but I'm pretty sure he's a fan after that show. I like ISIS ... kinda metal-y head music. Don't need lyrics for a song to be good.

Glad to see Mohawk dude was okay. We were in Section D, row 21, 13&14 so I had a pretty decent view of him go down. Anyone know what happened to the other dude that crashed behind D section? He looked BADDDDDD. I don't think he was even breathing. I hope he's okay. So that was one bad part of the trip, that and the fucker that thought cutting in line was cool since his daddy had bought a skybox ... whatever! Also, Nazi security dude that kept telling me to get back infront of my seat despite there being fans 4 deep into the aisle in front of me. I finally told him to get the hell out of my face and he left me alone after that.

Anyway, seats were decent, but I think I'd go for upper level before I'd do floor seats like those again ... be cool to actually see more of the show, but it was still awesome. Monday morning, and I'm still hoarse!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 06:22 AM   #65
Level 1 - Lurker

2006/09/22 - Detroit, MI - Palace of Auburn Hills

Absolutley fucking awesome show!!! Great seats: 7 Rows from the stage on the floor, dead center. Looking forward to seeing TOOL again. Definitley different to be seated and on the floor. After TOOL finished playing and the show ended, the lights came on and everyone began to leave, there was a kid sitting in his seat (on the floor as well) who looked dead (very very pale and stiff), a girl (possibly his girlfriend) was trying to take his pulse and security was trying to get the paramedics over to him. Does anyone happen to know if he is okay??
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 06:23 AM   #66
Syd
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 8

I rate my concert experience as 4 out of 5 stars. Overall, it was a fun night and I enjoyed watching the band perform. My favorite songs of the night were: Jambi and Wings 1 & 2, and Rosetta Stoned. I thought they really put out a lot of positive energy for these songs. Wings live was amazing – very powerful.

So why not 5 stars? Well, 1) I was on the floor. I bought my tickets (on ebay) before the tour started and didn’t have the benefit of the reviews. As soon as I read that it was a stage set up for the raised seats and the higher levels, I was worried, but then I figured I wouldn’t care too much because I wasn’t there for the stage show, but for the band. And had I been REALLY close, I am sure this would have been the truth. But I was kind of center of the floor a little to the left, and I could see Maynard and Adam the whole time but it wasn’t like I could see the expressions on their faces or something. So, it was a little bit of a bummer that the stage was so set up for those not on the floor. When you read these reviews and people try to describe how low the screens are, you can’t really get it til you are there – it is really a strange set up. 2) From where I was, the sound was muddy during most of the show. 3) I didn’t really feel the energy on “radio” songs and even some of the other older ones. The rest of the crowd seemed to, people went nuts for the radio tunes, but I don’t know…I couldn’t help but think they are bored of them. It surprised me that all my favorites of the night were from the newest album, because I’ve been listening to Tool since early nineties when Undertow was released. But the new songs were the ones that Maynard really gave it his all for. His voice sounded great for someone who has been sick, but towards the end there were a few times he didn’t sing lines. I couldn't tell if he was trying to get the audience to sing or not. Audience didn't get it if so. I really think this set list would probably be longer by a song or two if he was feeling better. I think later on they are going to get back a couple of songs that got dropped when Wings was added.

My question for others – did anyone else wonder what was up with Maynard’s elbow? Why the bandana around it all night? I wondered if maybe he was hurt? For those that saw the next show, was he still wearing it?

I was surprised Maynard did the “encourage the crowd to yet” bit. Not really his usual style – but holy crap – it did get louder.

I’m glad I went, but I won’t be checking them out if they come back to Michigan on this same tour unless I know ahead of time the set list is going to be different and I will get off the floor (unless I can get the first few rows of course!)
Old 09-25-2006, 07:40 AM   #67
Level 4 - Thinker

Great to see TOOL again but definately my least favorite TOOL Show I have seen. I agree that there was a rushed feeling from the band. Loved seeing "The Pot" and the highlight for me was "Wings for Marie" - "10,000 Days". I couldn't believe how many people sat down and started talking during "Wings". That shit pissed me off!! As stated before there was a lot better vibe @ the Fox. For all of you complaining about how shitty the sound was, I agree. But it had nothing to do with the acoustics!!! Personally I thought it was just way too loud which distorted everything. I was there for Roger Waters earlier in the week. I had the exact same seats and the sound was crystal clear Probably the best sounding show I have ever seen!!!! And yes Waters was loud especially when he came out for the second half to Play Dark Side of the Moon. They started cranking the volume up during "On the Run" and my chest was thumping. So intense. So I don't blame the Palace for the shitty sound. With that said there is no such thing as a shitty TOOL show. Some are just better than others. I do miss MJK's costumes. I always looked forward to seeing what kind of crazy shit he was going to wear.

"Fuck L. Ron Hubbard"
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 08:24 AM   #68
Syd
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco999 View Post
I do miss MJK's costumes. I always looked forward to seeing what kind of crazy shit he was going to wear.
Someone mentioned on one of these internet threads somewhere that this is kind of Tool's "rock" album. And the more I think about it, I agree. The image portrayed on this one is much more the "we are a typical rock band" then anything they ever did before. They always give us a show, remember, all we know about them is what they sell us. And right now we are being sold the 80s concert experience, Tool style. The lights, the lasers, encouraging everyone to light the lighters, the all top hits set list. Maynard in his sunglasses and leather jacket, jeans with the big buckled belt and cowboy hat. I don't think that get up is any less a costume than anything else we've seen. If there is a thread about this somewhere, please direct me, I'd like to know if what others think about this…
Old 09-25-2006, 08:49 AM   #69
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first tool concert and the concert was the coolest one I have been to yet. I have been front row and had a meet and greet for mudvayne but that wasn't shit compared to this concert. tool is the greatest band out there and i don't give a shit what anyone says. Maynard was being his usual dick-self. he wanted to wrap it up so he could get back to his porn. Classic. The show was awesome. I didn't really like the acoustics in the palace at first but after stinkfist everything started to become more clear. The tone was great. Adam was dead on all night and being able to see danny move around the skins like that was awesome for me. I am a drummer naturally and he is just kick ass. I've since switched to singing because of Maynard. He has the greatest voice of any lead singer I've ever heard. He can sing, and scream and whisper and do whatever the fuck he wants. The show was awesome. I wish they would have played some of the old stuff like opiate or sweat. But they nailed Wings and 10,000 Days which I never thought they would have played because of the complexady of those pieces. I love tool and I always will, this show just left me hanging for more.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 08:50 AM   #70
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd View Post
Someone mentioned on one of these internet threads somewhere that this is kind of Tool's "rock" album. And the more I think about it, I agree. The image portrayed on this one is much more the "we are a typical rock band" then anything they ever did before. They always give us a show, remember, all we know about them is what they sell us. And right now we are being sold the 80s concert experience, Tool style. The lights, the lasers, encouraging everyone to light the lighters, the all top hits set list. Maynard in his sunglasses and leather jacket, jeans with the big buckled belt and cowboy hat. I don't think that get up is any less a costume than anything else we've seen. If there is a thread about this somewhere, please direct me, I'd like to know if what others think about this…
I agree that it is still a costume, but his costumes would always change back in the day. There was no telling what he would be wearing. I have seen 3 shows this album each with the same "Costume". Don't get me wrong I am not complaining, I think it is great, I just miss the random crazy costumes!!! I am starting to get the feeling that this maybe the last tour we get!!! (When they come back in the new year).

"Fuck L. Ron Hubbard"
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 09:31 AM   #71
Level 1 - Lurker

Man,

We were on main floor, 4th row, section B.

After about the 3rd song (Forty Six & 2), I picked my jaw up off the floor and started screaming like a little school-girl.

First time to see Tool. This was the best concert I've ever been to even compared to The Who, AC/DC, Floyd and all the others whom I got to see in their Prime. The chemistry is just spot on.

The concert was surreal. The only way I can describe it is that these guys were so freakin' cool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 10:54 AM   #72
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Syd,

That wasn't a bandage around his arm, it was some kind of electronic device, like a wireless earpiece or something. He's had it on at all the shows. It had a little pack in it that had a light that blinked.

I was at the Toronto show and the girl next to me let me use her binoculars, so I saw it up close.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:14 PM   #73
Syd
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antcrusher View Post
Syd,

That wasn't a bandage around his arm, it was some kind of electronic device, like a wireless earpiece or something. He's had it on at all the shows. It had a little pack in it that had a light that blinked.

I was at the Toronto show and the girl next to me let me use her binoculars, so I saw it up close.
Thank you! Glad to know he wasn't hurt. I couldn't see any details from where I was. But it was still fun to watch that man move even at a distance. I read your Toronto review and I thought the audience was a little "whatever" in Detroit too. The whole night had a wierd vibe to it for me. When Maynard talked to everyone before the last song, I thought, of wait, maybe we get a bonus song, but no...
Old 09-25-2006, 04:37 PM   #74
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockotaco1 View Post
BTW, not only did a I get a vid or two, but here are 12 pictures I took. Shove that up your ass Pauly Shore lookin security guard. Enjoy!

http://www.usol.com/~cable/Pics/free...troit%2092206/
Pretty good pic's, for having to be sneeky.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 08:55 AM   #75
Level 1 - Lurker

"Ohio was louder...so was Kansas."

errr.....just realized. They never played in the state of Kansas:) classic.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 01:15 PM   #76
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

2nd best out of 7 shows since 96. I hated the Lateralus tour. It never got loud enough to make my chest rattle or feel like the ceiling would cave in. Just my opinion, and we know how far those go. lol Aside from the State show, the rest of the tour wasn't loud at all.

It was better for me than the Fox show. We were 4th row center and the speakers were on the sides so, it was a fairly quiet show. Plus, there were a few stuck up, pretentious, assfucks that just plain sucked in our row. Fuck you. You know who you are. :)

I had a great time. We sat in the hallway for Isis and people watched. I love the diversity! We only got our tickets on Monday and we ended up with 2nd row, lower bowl, about 3 sections over. Perfect view and loud as fuck. I know it sounded a little muddy and the pauses were weird and all but, it was just fun as fuck! Everyone around us was cool- no stuck up snobs! The whole section was out to have a good time.

Yea, I have my wishes for the old Maynard outfits and undertow/opiate but, it really made me appreciate how far they have come. I didn't love this album til seeing the show. Amazing. It cracks me up when they start Jambi and Maynard does that bird flapping dance. So hot!

The thunderstorm was nuts! It took us forever to find the car, had to use the panic button. Didn't care about waiting the hour to leave. Just sat in my ride and rocked out. I brought a friend with me. She is 45 and loves rock but, never heard of Tool. Her 19 yr old son was jealous she was going. Anyhoo, I have converted her and thank the lord for that! She gets it!! I fuckin wish more people in my life would give them a chance but, whatever. If they did, tickets would be harder to get. :)

Loved it so much we took a trip to Cleveland to see them last nite. Had a few bumps in the road and only caught the 2nd 1/2 but, honestly it was worth it just to see that much. Hoping they hit Florida for the second leg.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #77
Level 4 - Thinker

maynard's first words were difinetly "Lighten up" - that was when Danny showed his basketball jersey.
And, it wasn't 'Kansas was louder' - it was 'even fucking Kansas was louder'. The roof pretty much fell off the place after that.

Don
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 03:30 PM   #78
Level 1 - Lurker

Hey Tool if ur reading sorry the Palace SUCKS... but what can ya do... and next time TURN UP THE BASS i didnt feel the amplitude in the bass during 46n2 or the pot which kinda sucks but u guys fuckin rocked the house anyways. ONE MORE THING... SUPRISE THE CROWD every once in a while with something old school like jerk-off, 4 degress, or anything of the first two albums thanks fellas make sure to come back
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #79
Level 1 - Lurker

The music sounded awesone from start to finish, but overall i was disapointed with the show. Maynard pretty muched stayed in the back. I wish he would of interacted with the crowd more than he did. The pre party was the best. We brought the green tent and bbQ. We parked in the very back of the parking lot. The fucking cops parked two spots away from us, so there was no pot smoking, but i did get 4 joints into the show. Bottom line I had a kick ass time.
TOOL is the greatest fucking band ever.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 10:57 PM   #80
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd View Post
i think.. you are wrong. is that ok?

the new material is tool's best stuff to date, and if it weren't, and it were dumbed down rock'n'roll as you say it is, it wouldn't even fucking exist. and neither would the concert. i stick my browned thumb out at the people who think they're critics and just sit at shows and expect to be entertained cuz' they bought tickets, and think they can just turn their nose down and cross their arms and say, 'entertain me, tool'. that's really not how anything works. i myself am a fan of active participation and having done such thing at this show, i enjoyed every fucking second, especially isis. you little internet band bashing cronies get on my nerves. what, is the world here to serve you? absolutely not. get off your ass and make something yourself that's worthy of public presentation, instead of snobbing off at something because it rubs you the wrong way. guess what? it's your fault that you are full of hatred and discontent, not anyone else's.

thank you.

syd, this isn't so much directed at you, but read through the rest of the thread you'll see what i'm getting at.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: