Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive
User Name
Password
crysyn's Avatar crysyn
04-28-2006, 08:13 AM

I just went to the March Newsletter, saw something that I had not before, at the top is says question "Which song is it that contains a terrible secret" its always been in code since the January Newsletter. Well, now when you look at it the ET pulses, I ran my mouse over it and it slowly reorders itself into Rosetta Stoned. I go to the lyrics and try to translate because the real Rosetta Stone is what was used to translate all Egyption hieroglyphics. Maynard does say quite clearly, YOU BETTER LISTEN.......I think there is something here because why else would they take the time to do this at the top of the newsletter. The lyrics mention contemplating the hoax, those people thinking we took a flaming stale(already been there done that) bannana(CD) split(2cds). Well one opened up what we would expect to see. Holy fucking shit! This kind of thing never happens. Another bannana(CD) bourbon(powerful yet tasty) enema...make one shit himself or the bed. Jump ahead, a warning to those who choose to hear it and a warning for those who do not, you better listen............now it says such a heavy burden to tell, the details of our ending(perhaps their last cd?) for all the world to see. There is more you could read into, but..........the only reason I posted this is because of what the new thing the newsletter is doing. I am a huge TOOL fan. Aenima made Undertow better.........Lateralus made Aenima better.........does 10,000 DAYS make Lateralus better? Too soon to tell............but........Danny in that Dutch interview said that the new music totally gave him the chills and made his hair stand up. Everybody that has heard the new album that I have talked to said it has some cool moments but sounds like old stuff rehashed in parts, again too soon to tell. But I think this is worth a little discussion. Thanks for your time.........
Old 04-28-2006, 08:13 AM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Maynard says listen

I just went to the March Newsletter, saw something that I had not before, at the top is says question "Which song is it that contains a terrible secret" its always been in code since the January Newsletter. Well, now when you look at it the ET pulses, I ran my mouse over it and it slowly reorders itself into Rosetta Stoned. I go to the lyrics and try to translate because the real Rosetta Stone is what was used to translate all Egyption hieroglyphics. Maynard does say quite clearly, YOU BETTER LISTEN.......I think there is something here because why else would they take the time to do this at the top of the newsletter. The lyrics mention contemplating the hoax, those people thinking we took a flaming stale(already been there done that) bannana(CD) split(2cds). Well one opened up what we would expect to see. Holy fucking shit! This kind of thing never happens. Another bannana(CD) bourbon(powerful yet tasty) enema...make one shit himself or the bed. Jump ahead, a warning to those who choose to hear it and a warning for those who do not, you better listen............now it says such a heavy burden to tell, the details of our ending(perhaps their last cd?) for all the world to see. There is more you could read into, but..........the only reason I posted this is because of what the new thing the newsletter is doing. I am a huge TOOL fan. Aenima made Undertow better.........Lateralus made Aenima better.........does 10,000 DAYS make Lateralus better? Too soon to tell............but........Danny in that Dutch interview said that the new music totally gave him the chills and made his hair stand up. Everybody that has heard the new album that I have talked to said it has some cool moments but sounds like old stuff rehashed in parts, again too soon to tell. But I think this is worth a little discussion. Thanks for your time.........
OFFLINE |  
BlairLicksTaint's Avatar BlairLicksTaint
04-28-2006, 08:15 AM

Right
Old 04-28-2006, 08:15 AM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.
Bincount™: 69
Re: Maynard says listen

Right
04-28-2006, 08:15 AM

Excuse me?
Old 04-28-2006, 08:15 AM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 152

Excuse me?
OFFLINE |  
rakeshuva
04-28-2006, 08:17 AM

paragraphs and fewer ellipses would make your post somewhat readable. oh wait, no it wouldn't.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:17 AM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

paragraphs and fewer ellipses would make your post somewhat readable. oh wait, no it wouldn't.
04-28-2006, 08:19 AM

Recently in an interview I believe maynard reccomend or said how all this over anyalising is a waste of time... red herring maybe - good advice I would hope and prefer.

Its hard to say the literal meaning of the song is all thats coming from it but I would prefer it that way, a crazy tripper story or a unlucky chosen one on LSD/DMT - always one at a party.

So many people are leaning towards TOOL breaking up after this CD, in the latest press / interviews they seem like a pretty happy unit, doing it thier way, I would be shocked if they called it quits after this...

How crucial is Maynard? He certainly is motivated by his winery... Either way, he needs to fund that enterprise - make more music - ill send more money.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:19 AM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

Recently in an interview I believe maynard reccomend or said how all this over anyalising is a waste of time... red herring maybe - good advice I would hope and prefer.

Its hard to say the literal meaning of the song is all thats coming from it but I would prefer it that way, a crazy tripper story or a unlucky chosen one on LSD/DMT - always one at a party.

So many people are leaning towards TOOL breaking up after this CD, in the latest press / interviews they seem like a pretty happy unit, doing it thier way, I would be shocked if they called it quits after this...

How crucial is Maynard? He certainly is motivated by his winery... Either way, he needs to fund that enterprise - make more music - ill send more money.
OFFLINE |  
noisetherapy's Avatar noisetherapy
04-28-2006, 08:19 AM

i got the chills
Old 04-28-2006, 08:19 AM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 26

i got the chills
04-28-2006, 08:20 AM

He's too excited to finish his own thoughts, or atleast finish them in a coherent matter.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:20 AM   #7
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 7

He's too excited to finish his own thoughts, or atleast finish them in a coherent matter.
04-28-2006, 08:36 AM

Pointless, "Which song is it that contains a terrible secret" comes from when they asked the Oujia Board questions about the new tool album.

Kind of funny, when they "asked" the spirit or Ouija board or whatever what was the favorite song, it said LK, or Lipan Conjuring
Old 04-28-2006, 08:36 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 9

Pointless, "Which song is it that contains a terrible secret" comes from when they asked the Oujia Board questions about the new tool album.

Kind of funny, when they "asked" the spirit or Ouija board or whatever what was the favorite song, it said LK, or Lipan Conjuring
OFFLINE |  
Elastic_Ass
04-28-2006, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisetherapy
i got the chills

I agree. The mood this album invokes is different to me than any previous album. To me the whole LK/RS sequence is incredible.

After listening to MJK on the JJJ Austrailan interview, I wonder if he thinks certain fans are the ones who have shit the bed because they have not done anything positive with the messages the band has been trying to convey over the years. I can't remember his exact quote, but it sounded like he wondered if their music was really reaching anyone.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:37 AM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisetherapy
i got the chills

I agree. The mood this album invokes is different to me than any previous album. To me the whole LK/RS sequence is incredible.

After listening to MJK on the JJJ Austrailan interview, I wonder if he thinks certain fans are the ones who have shit the bed because they have not done anything positive with the messages the band has been trying to convey over the years. I can't remember his exact quote, but it sounded like he wondered if their music was really reaching anyone.
OFFLINE |  
crysyn's Avatar crysyn
04-28-2006, 08:45 AM

What are these tracks?
Oh, sorry, could have been more clear when posting the thread, lost of information, so little time.
http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/...on=6.0.12.1483
Old 04-28-2006, 08:45 AM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

What are these tracks?
Oh, sorry, could have been more clear when posting the thread, lost of information, so little time.
04-28-2006, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyDontWeDoItInTheRoad

No,
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:51 AM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyDontWeDoItInTheRoad

No,
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned.
OFFLINE |  
Elastic_Ass
04-28-2006, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysyn
What are these tracks?
Those would be tracks from the bio-cd Maximum Tool talking about the history of the band
Old 04-28-2006, 08:55 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
What are these tracks?
Those would be tracks from the bio-cd Maximum Tool talking about the history of the band
OFFLINE |  
crysyn's Avatar crysyn
04-28-2006, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elastic_Ass

Thank you
Old 04-28-2006, 08:56 AM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elastic_Ass

Thank you
04-28-2006, 09:05 AM

He is fucking with you and you are falling for it.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:05 AM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

He is fucking with you and you are falling for it.
OFFLINE |  
Myramyd
04-28-2006, 09:48 AM

Listen...to crysyn

Rosetta Stoned is the key. All that is required are the wits to decipher it.

I don't know why it is so hard for everyone to figure this out. Please wake up everyone. The sun is shining on another, this time ripe (banana), yet the search has nearly been given up on.

No sorry, wait. I was wrong. Take everything at face value. Go to school--listen to your mother--do what people tell you and no one will get hurt. Put down the books, watch Fox News, listen to your government and DON'T question what you are given under any circumstance.

BAAAAHHHHHH (sheep emulation)
Old 04-28-2006, 09:48 AM   #15
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Listen...to crysyn

Rosetta Stoned is the key. All that is required are the wits to decipher it.

I don't know why it is so hard for everyone to figure this out. Please wake up everyone. The sun is shining on another, this time ripe (banana), yet the search has nearly been given up on.

No sorry, wait. I was wrong. Take everything at face value. Go to school--listen to your mother--do what people tell you and no one will get hurt. Put down the books, watch Fox News, listen to your government and DON'T question what you are given under any circumstance.

BAAAAHHHHHH (sheep emulation)
04-28-2006, 10:02 AM

Okay, you are right. I apologize. I'll stop reading into the lyrics so much and enjoy the cornucopia of sonic beauty I've been given. There are no hidden messages, no other album coming, the lyrics are all emotional expressions of where Maynard was at and I shouldn't have the INDECENCY to question songs about his dead mother or the genius behind the ramblings of an LSD trip.

I've wasted so much time questioning things when I should have wrapped myself in a blanket of mediocrity.

Laughable...
Old 04-28-2006, 10:02 AM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Okay, you are right. I apologize. I'll stop reading into the lyrics so much and enjoy the cornucopia of sonic beauty I've been given. There are no hidden messages, no other album coming, the lyrics are all emotional expressions of where Maynard was at and I shouldn't have the INDECENCY to question songs about his dead mother or the genius behind the ramblings of an LSD trip.

I've wasted so much time questioning things when I should have wrapped myself in a blanket of mediocrity.

Laughable...
04-28-2006, 10:13 AM

You guys realise a lot of Strassmans patients reported being in a totally lucid state, and seemed like they were surrounded by aliens, or in a spaceport, or grey men etc etc.

For some reason this DMT stuff makes you think you are in another dimension, but with some other beings.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:13 AM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

You guys realise a lot of Strassmans patients reported being in a totally lucid state, and seemed like they were surrounded by aliens, or in a spaceport, or grey men etc etc.

For some reason this DMT stuff makes you think you are in another dimension, but with some other beings.
OFFLINE |  
ZeroGlass
04-28-2006, 10:18 AM

Also the terrible secret is that because he forgot his pen we are all doomed.

Happy holidays! :)
Old 04-28-2006, 10:18 AM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

Also the terrible secret is that because he forgot his pen we are all doomed.

Happy holidays! :)
OFFLINE |  
praefector's Avatar praefector
04-28-2006, 10:20 AM

wow

the desperation to find hidden messages some of you have never ceases to amaze.

good work though...someone has to be the nutty uberfan
Old 04-28-2006, 10:20 AM   #19
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

wow

Myramyd
04-28-2006, 10:21 AM

I guess this is why so many follow the Bible literally.

Yes father, I totally believe a man with a beard and robes created a path in the middle of a large body of water to save his people. I also believe that they got lost in a small portion of desert for a very long time. There is in no way a metaphor to be found within. I will not question you father, for I have sinned. My earthly body can in no way interpret the sacred knowledge which has been passed down to me. I am but a small worm compared to the almighty.

Wide grin...
Old 04-28-2006, 10:21 AM   #20
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Yes father, I totally believe a man with a beard and robes created a path in the middle of a large body of water to save his people. I also believe that they got lost in a small portion of desert for a very long time. There is in no way a metaphor to be found within. I will not question you father, for I have sinned. My earthly body can in no way interpret the sacred knowledge which has been passed down to me. I am but a small worm compared to the almighty.

Wide grin...
04-28-2006, 10:24 AM

The man was merely a vessel for a greater power.

Sound familiar? ;)
Old 04-28-2006, 10:24 AM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

The man was merely a vessel for a greater power.

Sound familiar? ;)
OFFLINE |  
04-28-2006, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myramyd

Wide grin...
maybe its because people believe whatever they want to believe

people can read into the bible and find the moral and symbolism in each parable or they can interpret the parts they read however they like and try to use its messages to improve their lives in whatever way they can

religion is about pleasing the self. if your content in taking the album for its aesthetic value thats what youll do...

if you feel unfulfilled youll dig and dig and dig until you find something that makes you happy... in this case, it's evidence of a hoax or confirmation of a decoy disk.

but YOU are getting a little too preachy. so just keep your amazing revelations in your head where they belong and dont tell people they need to "wake up" because it is possible you are the one who is dreaming.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myramyd

Wide grin...
maybe its because people believe whatever they want to believe

people can read into the bible and find the moral and symbolism in each parable or they can interpret the parts they read however they like and try to use its messages to improve their lives in whatever way they can

religion is about pleasing the self. if your content in taking the album for its aesthetic value thats what youll do...

if you feel unfulfilled youll dig and dig and dig until you find something that makes you happy... in this case, it's evidence of a hoax or confirmation of a decoy disk.

but YOU are getting a little too preachy. so just keep your amazing revelations in your head where they belong and dont tell people they need to "wake up" because it is possible you are the one who is dreaming.
Myramyd
04-28-2006, 10:46 AM

I'm happy to finally hear an intelligent response, that's what I've been hoping for.

I guess I'm just more than a little disappointed that more "fans" aren't questioning and aren't enjoying this ride.

It's performance art on their part is what it is. Warhol would be proud.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:46 AM   #23
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I'm happy to finally hear an intelligent response, that's what I've been hoping for.

I guess I'm just more than a little disappointed that more "fans" aren't questioning and aren't enjoying this ride.

It's performance art on their part is what it is. Warhol would be proud.
04-28-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praefector
wow

Uhh.. The track is called "Rosetta Stoned".. And what was the Rosetta stone? The key to decrypting the Egyptian hieroglyphs.. Now is it out of the realm of possibilty that there may be something more to these lyrics.. Possibly something "cryptic"?

Last edited by trip0r; 04-28-2006 at 11:00 AM..
Old 04-28-2006, 10:57 AM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
wow

Uhh.. The track is called "Rosetta Stoned".. And what was the Rosetta stone? The key to decrypting the Egyptian hieroglyphs.. Now is it out of the realm of possibilty that there may be something more to these lyrics.. Possibly something "cryptic"?

Last edited by trip0r; 04-28-2006 at 11:00 AM..
OFFLINE |  
04-28-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip0r
the name "rosetta stoned" could possibly have nothing to do with the rosetta stone

besides, if it did, then the key to deciphering it would be finding the 2nd part...which at least to this point seems to be third eye (since both songs feel like acid trips). what were doing by overanalyzing this song on its own more akin to staring at the egyptian hieroglyphs and making them mean whatever we want them to mean.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip0r
the name "rosetta stoned" could possibly have nothing to do with the rosetta stone

besides, if it did, then the key to deciphering it would be finding the 2nd part...which at least to this point seems to be third eye (since both songs feel like acid trips). what were doing by overanalyzing this song on its own more akin to staring at the egyptian hieroglyphs and making them mean whatever we want them to mean.
capnbenzo
04-28-2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I think there is something here because why else would they take the time to do this at the top of the newsletter.
to fuck with people. i think it's obvious that Blair enjoys that very much. In many ways he enjoys his life VICARIOUSLY through the actual band members.

HA!

I'll be here all week folks. Tip your waitresses....
Old 04-28-2006, 11:16 AM   #26
On Probation

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
I think there is something here because why else would they take the time to do this at the top of the newsletter.
to fuck with people. i think it's obvious that Blair enjoys that very much. In many ways he enjoys his life VICARIOUSLY through the actual band members.

HA!

I'll be here all week folks. Tip your waitresses....
OFFLINE |  
ZeroGlass
04-28-2006, 11:20 AM

The Rosetta Stone is the DMT (LSDs big brother)

The subject used it and realized he had a message to decipher the meaning of his (invariably our) universe.

He couldnt write it down, so he knows the world is going to end.

That is the 'terrible secret'.

Then again who knows, im just thinking for myself ;)
Old 04-28-2006, 11:20 AM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

The subject used it and realized he had a message to decipher the meaning of his (invariably our) universe.

OFFLINE |  
04-28-2006, 11:22 AM

of course by even taking this approach to understanding the song we all could just be falling into the joke

dancing like puppets on a stage for the band to enjoy
Old 04-28-2006, 11:22 AM   #28

of course by even taking this approach to understanding the song we all could just be falling into the joke

trip0r
04-28-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGlass

Thinking for yourself?!?! Blasphemy! lol.. Interesting take.. More interpretations welcome!
Old 04-28-2006, 11:22 AM   #29
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Thinking for yourself?!?! Blasphemy! lol.. Interesting take.. More interpretations welcome!
OFFLINE |  
ZeroGlass
04-28-2006, 11:27 AM

Could be saying something along the lines of how we are all searching for this so called enlightenment yet was are so messed up and self-invovled we cant even get a simple message across.

We are having a global 'communication breakdown'.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:27 AM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

Could be saying something along the lines of how we are all searching for this so called enlightenment yet was are so messed up and self-invovled we cant even get a simple message across.

OFFLINE |  
Juanjay
04-28-2006, 11:36 AM

DMT is nuts the effect on us is crazy. It amazes me that the human body produces stuff naturally. Its actually in all mammals, its supposed to aid in dreaming states.

But all that its the best trip of any drug I've tried.

Oh and I think the song is basically about a DMT trip where the user found the key to everything. The Rosetta Stone to our existence but like it said, forgot his pen so couldn't bring it back for everyone to see / hear.

Last edited by Juanjay; 04-28-2006 at 11:42 AM..
Old 04-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #31
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

DMT is nuts the effect on us is crazy. It amazes me that the human body produces stuff naturally. Its actually in all mammals, its supposed to aid in dreaming states.

But all that its the best trip of any drug I've tried.

Oh and I think the song is basically about a DMT trip where the user found the key to everything. The Rosetta Stone to our existence but like it said, forgot his pen so couldn't bring it back for everyone to see / hear.

Last edited by Juanjay; 04-28-2006 at 11:42 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Convectuoso's Avatar Convectuoso
04-28-2006, 11:46 AM

I can't believe I just read all this crap
Old 04-28-2006, 11:46 AM   #32
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 31

OFFLINE |  
ZeroGlass
04-28-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convectuoso

Its ok, it takes a little time to get the hang of it.

Start slow, then work your way up.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:48 AM   #33
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Its ok, it takes a little time to get the hang of it.

OFFLINE |  
crmsnghst's Avatar crmsnghst
04-28-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
... Starting here on TDN
*grin*
Old 04-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #34
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
... Starting here on TDN
*grin*
OFFLINE |  
Sotto Voce
04-28-2006, 11:54 AM

Toolband.com

March Newsletter

Last picture at bottom

UFO!

Always there?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:54 AM   #35
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Toolband.com

March Newsletter

Last picture at bottom

UFO!

Always there?
OFFLINE |  
Convectuoso's Avatar Convectuoso
04-28-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Surely you need to work your way down a thread
Old 04-28-2006, 11:57 AM   #36
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 31

Quote:

OFFLINE |  
crmsnghst's Avatar crmsnghst
04-28-2006, 12:06 PM

perhaps we will be able to decipher it using the glasses in the album?
Old 04-28-2006, 12:06 PM   #37
Level 4 - Thinker

perhaps we will be able to decipher it using the glasses in the album?
OFFLINE |  
ZeroGlass
04-28-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:

Think for yourself, question authority ;)
Old 04-28-2006, 12:12 PM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Think for yourself, question authority ;)
OFFLINE |  
crysyn's Avatar crysyn
04-28-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Absolutely, you know after Picasso got so famous he started to really question his fans judgement. He would put out what he considered half-ass work just to watch them go, wow, you are a genius, he even threw up on his easel other artists work when so called art experts would come over to view his paintings and they would just go on and on about how good he was, he thought their unquestioning accolades were a joke. I am not a Picasso fan, but a huge Tool fan. Looking forward to buying 10,000 Days.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:14 PM   #39
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Absolutely, you know after Picasso got so famous he started to really question his fans judgement. He would put out what he considered half-ass work just to watch them go, wow, you are a genius, he even threw up on his easel other artists work when so called art experts would come over to view his paintings and they would just go on and on about how good he was, he thought their unquestioning accolades were a joke. I am not a Picasso fan, but a huge Tool fan. Looking forward to buying 10,000 Days.
04-28-2006, 12:45 PM

haha i think myramyd is my new favorite member.

he reminds me of a dog chasing it's tail, except the dog doesn't actually have a tail.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:45 PM   #40
Level 4 - Thinker

haha i think myramyd is my new favorite member.

he reminds me of a dog chasing it's tail, except the dog doesn't actually have a tail.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply