Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » What's He Saying??
User Name
Password
whitewater's Avatar whitewater
05-14-2006, 06:45 AM

I was skeptical at first, but I hear it. Crazy. And I'm pretty confident that I'm not mistaking it for the backwards message. It comes in immediately before that -- starts at 1:06 and ends about 1:08:05

Here it is cut out from the entire song:

http://download.yousendit.com/41458F1A018D9E47
All the world will be your enemy, Prince With a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you they will kill you. But first, they must catch you - digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:45 AM   #161
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1001
Re: hidden prayer at 1:05

I was skeptical at first, but I hear it. Crazy. And I'm pretty confident that I'm not mistaking it for the backwards message. It comes in immediately before that -- starts at 1:06 and ends about 1:08:05

Here it is cut out from the entire song:

http://download.yousendit.com/41458F1A018D9E47
All the world will be your enemy, Prince With a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you they will kill you. But first, they must catch you - digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Lucky_Fucker's Avatar Lucky_Fucker
05-14-2006, 09:30 AM

Link for Backmasking on Intenstion...http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=76285610

Last edited by Lucky_Fucker; 05-14-2006 at 09:37 AM..
Old 05-14-2006, 09:30 AM   #162
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Link for Backmasking on Intenstion...http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=76285610

Last edited by Lucky_Fucker; 05-14-2006 at 09:37 AM..
Darkness13's Avatar Darkness13
05-14-2006, 03:48 PM

Ya know, whichever way I listen to this... I'm creeped out... But listening to the backwards of it (excuse the improper terminology) it sounds like he has a reversed message behind a forwarded message...

But I think I'm just stating the obvious... Aplogies if I am...

eternaltears.16.forumer.com
Old 05-14-2006, 03:48 PM   #163
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Ya know, whichever way I listen to this... I'm creeped out... But listening to the backwards of it (excuse the improper terminology) it sounds like he has a reversed message behind a forwarded message...

But I think I'm just stating the obvious... Aplogies if I am...

eternaltears.16.forumer.com
apolluwn's Avatar apolluwn
05-14-2006, 04:07 PM

Sounds like "jesus commit a sin" or "jesus was innocent" forwards, but I could be hearing things...
Old 05-14-2006, 04:07 PM   #164
Level 1 - Lurker

Sounds like "jesus commit a sin" or "jesus was innocent" forwards, but I could be hearing things...
PriceisRight's Avatar PriceisRight
05-14-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowadiddy
I don't think they were trying to break any new ground here. It's toungue in cheek. You know the whole, "Play it backwards man, it's Satan telling you to kill your cat." But here it's telling kids to work hard and listen to their parents. That my friend is friggin' funny.
actually...I think pink floyd made a backmasked phrase that said "Congratulations! You found the hidden message." or something to that effect.

If I'm wrong...please correct me.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:57 PM   #165

Bincount™: 2
Re: Backwards Lyrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowadiddy
I don't think they were trying to break any new ground here. It's toungue in cheek. You know the whole, "Play it backwards man, it's Satan telling you to kill your cat." But here it's telling kids to work hard and listen to their parents. That my friend is friggin' funny.
actually...I think pink floyd made a backmasked phrase that said "Congratulations! You found the hidden message." or something to that effect.

If I'm wrong...please correct me.
05-14-2006, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolluwn
The only thing I hear for sure is "Jesus".
Old 05-14-2006, 07:39 PM   #166
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: I live in Heaven, but I'm on a vacation without my passport to get back.
Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolluwn
The only thing I hear for sure is "Jesus".
jugheadsjonesin
05-15-2006, 10:19 AM

The really funny thing is that's not even original. Anybody here ever listen to Mindless Self Indulgence (which is genius in its absurdity)? the song backmask backwards has backwards masking on the vocals. The forward lyrics say to kill your self and your family and leave a river of blood, or some such thing and then tells you to listen to the record backwards. when you reverse the song, you hear a voice tell you to eat all your vegetables, listen to your mom and dad, go to bed when they tell you, etc.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:19 AM   #167
Level 2 - Poster

The really funny thing is that's not even original. Anybody here ever listen to Mindless Self Indulgence (which is genius in its absurdity)? the song backmask backwards has backwards masking on the vocals. The forward lyrics say to kill your self and your family and leave a river of blood, or some such thing and then tells you to listen to the record backwards. when you reverse the song, you hear a voice tell you to eat all your vegetables, listen to your mom and dad, go to bed when they tell you, etc.
blackandwhite's Avatar blackandwhite
05-15-2006, 11:23 AM

You're just hearing what you want to hear. Somehow, you got it in your head that there is a meaning to this song being reversed, and clung on to anything that sounded remotely familiar. There may be something to playing this song in reverse, but you'd have to have an unbiased person hear it.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:23 AM   #168
Level 7 - Loquacious

You're just hearing what you want to hear. Somehow, you got it in your head that there is a meaning to this song being reversed, and clung on to anything that sounded remotely familiar. There may be something to playing this song in reverse, but you'd have to have an unbiased person hear it.
AMF
05-15-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandwhite
Yup. One of the main pratfalls of people interpreting Tool songs that I find is that sometimes people have a set of thoughts and ideas and think they can apply it to any song because they're already convinced that's what its about. This leads into some of the WAY off-base conclusions people are drawing about some songs here when I'm reading these interpretations. There is a point between analyzing construvtively and "over-analyzing".....they warned us about that in Lateralus, an album chock to the brim with symbolism and mysteries and such. With 10,000 Days there's a lot of trippy stuff for sure, but I don't think they want us to dissect it by tying it down and beating it with a stick. Danny's remark about this being their "blues" of sorts makes me think more that most of the stuff here is based around experience rather than some of the more abstract themes present on Lateralus. Both contain great, rich material to be interpreted, but overdoing it loses the value of the music itself. There must be a balance between being able to critically analyze the music as well as just sheer enjoyment. Tool are a rock/metal band first and foremost, but they give us other things to think about;) The key is to apply it to your own life and make an impact, that's what I think.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:03 PM   #169
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31

Quote:
Yup. One of the main pratfalls of people interpreting Tool songs that I find is that sometimes people have a set of thoughts and ideas and think they can apply it to any song because they're already convinced that's what its about. This leads into some of the WAY off-base conclusions people are drawing about some songs here when I'm reading these interpretations. There is a point between analyzing construvtively and "over-analyzing".....they warned us about that in Lateralus, an album chock to the brim with symbolism and mysteries and such. With 10,000 Days there's a lot of trippy stuff for sure, but I don't think they want us to dissect it by tying it down and beating it with a stick. Danny's remark about this being their "blues" of sorts makes me think more that most of the stuff here is based around experience rather than some of the more abstract themes present on Lateralus. Both contain great, rich material to be interpreted, but overdoing it loses the value of the music itself. There must be a balance between being able to critically analyze the music as well as just sheer enjoyment. Tool are a rock/metal band first and foremost, but they give us other things to think about;) The key is to apply it to your own life and make an impact, that's what I think.
fartbender's Avatar fartbender
05-15-2006, 02:23 PM

i was listening with headphones today and generally when i listen to this song with headphones, i'm walking down the street so i don't hear everything as clearly as possible, but then today i started the album at a different point so when i heard intension, it wasn't quite so loud and noticed the backwards effects. so my plan was to come home and see if anyone found it before, and luckily i didn't have to reverse it myself thanks to the fine folk here on the board. i agree with what dude said about over analyzing, however what does that have to do with this thread? yeah people do it, but i don't think the fact that someone heard the same thing i did and told others about it means they're overanalyzing...i think that soapbox post could have been warranted in another thread, but come on...
Old 05-15-2006, 02:23 PM   #170
Level 4 - Thinker

i was listening with headphones today and generally when i listen to this song with headphones, i'm walking down the street so i don't hear everything as clearly as possible, but then today i started the album at a different point so when i heard intension, it wasn't quite so loud and noticed the backwards effects. so my plan was to come home and see if anyone found it before, and luckily i didn't have to reverse it myself thanks to the fine folk here on the board. i agree with what dude said about over analyzing, however what does that have to do with this thread? yeah people do it, but i don't think the fact that someone heard the same thing i did and told others about it means they're overanalyzing...i think that soapbox post could have been warranted in another thread, but come on...
blackandwhite's Avatar blackandwhite
05-15-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartbender

i think a quote from the movie The Sentinel explains this:

"Once you get a thought in your mind, you only see the evidence you want to see."
Old 05-15-2006, 06:45 PM   #171
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartbender

i think a quote from the movie The Sentinel explains this:

"Once you get a thought in your mind, you only see the evidence you want to see."
Old 05-18-2006, 04:56 PM   #172
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-18-2006, 05:21 PM

oh my god that is fucking freaky! i swear they say carpe diem at the beginning but at the end he definatley say "work hard, stay in school"!
Old 05-18-2006, 05:21 PM   #173

Bincount™: 11

oh my god that is fucking freaky! i swear they say carpe diem at the beginning but at the end he definatley say "work hard, stay in school"!
05-19-2006, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardJamesKeenan
I think I heard carpe diem or something like that too
Old 05-19-2006, 02:19 PM   #174
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardJamesKeenan
I think I heard carpe diem or something like that too
Amalexus
05-24-2006, 03:19 PM

Its also interesting to note (although this may seem a little offkey and abstract) how in the artwork booklet of the album, maynard is looking into a mirror, you know, the whole reverse thing in mirror. I dont know, just a random thought.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #175
Level 4 - Thinker

Its also interesting to note (although this may seem a little offkey and abstract) how in the artwork booklet of the album, maynard is looking into a mirror, you know, the whole reverse thing in mirror. I dont know, just a random thought.
Cucumber_11's Avatar Cucumber_11
05-24-2006, 03:36 PM

Quote:
In most cases you'd be right. But...have you listened to the reversed clip? It is proper backmasking, as in it has been recorded forwards and then reversed, just like that pink floyd one. It is nothing like the Britney Spears or Stairway or queen backmasking, it is something inserted, the others are coincedences.

:P
"10, 000 Days was everything I wanted Lateralus to be. When I first got it [Lateralus] I felt it was a very very good album but no way up there with my favourites. Then 10, 000 Days came and it was like 'woah'."
Old 05-24-2006, 03:36 PM   #176
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 192

Quote:
In most cases you'd be right. But...have you listened to the reversed clip? It is proper backmasking, as in it has been recorded forwards and then reversed, just like that pink floyd one. It is nothing like the Britney Spears or Stairway or queen backmasking, it is something inserted, the others are coincedences.

"10, 000 Days was everything I wanted Lateralus to be. When I first got it [Lateralus] I felt it was a very very good album but no way up there with my favourites. Then 10, 000 Days came and it was like 'woah'."
LetGoLetgoLetGo's Avatar LetGoLetgoLetGo
05-24-2006, 04:27 PM

Yeah, its blatantly obvious. Whilst listening to this song from start to finish (instead of finish to start), you can hear the backwards vocals. This isnt about seeing what you want or what you are looking for. Period.

ALSO, during Lateralus' "spiral out, keep going", reversed sounds like "spiral out, keep going". Not nearly as distinguishable as Intension, and probably not intentional, but I thought I'd throw my two pennies in to the mix.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:27 PM   #177
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18

Yeah, its blatantly obvious. Whilst listening to this song from start to finish (instead of finish to start), you can hear the backwards vocals. This isnt about seeing what you want or what you are looking for. Period.

ALSO, during Lateralus' "spiral out, keep going", reversed sounds like "spiral out, keep going". Not nearly as distinguishable as Intension, and probably not intentional, but I thought I'd throw my two pennies in to the mix.
Buffalo
05-27-2006, 04:34 AM

Hmmm, why didn't he say "don't do drugs", or "Jesus is Lord"???
Old 05-27-2006, 04:34 AM   #178
Level 1 - Lurker

æmoeba•°·.'s Avatar æmoeba•°·.
05-27-2006, 09:01 PM

the link to the "myspace" site worked but the song wasn't on there, only some rap.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:01 PM   #179
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

the link to the "myspace" site worked but the song wasn't on there, only some rap.
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
05-28-2006, 03:29 PM

i re-encoded/reuploaded the 30 second clip from earlier, it's a 128kbps mp3, not the greatest quality but it's a small download if you want to hear it:

http://hushy.flaretech.net/music/int...denmessage.mp3
Old 05-28-2006, 03:29 PM   #180
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

i re-encoded/reuploaded the 30 second clip from earlier, it's a 128kbps mp3, not the greatest quality but it's a small download if you want to hear it:

http://hushy.flaretech.net/music/int...denmessage.mp3
05-28-2006, 06:40 PM

Melvinman5000: theres an MSI song with backwards "do your homework, eat your vegetables, brush your teeth, and clean your room"
Old 05-28-2006, 06:40 PM   #181
Level 2 - Poster

Melvinman5000: theres an MSI song with backwards "do your homework, eat your vegetables, brush your teeth, and clean your room"
05-28-2006, 06:42 PM

i love how you quoted the person who said it on aim
Old 05-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #182
Level 11 - Clamorous

05-28-2006, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy
Melvinman5000: backmask warning
Melvinman5000: the first line is "play this record backwards theres a message over the sucker, play this record backwards then go fuck yourself"
Melvinman5000: "all the people you love in a river of blood and dont forget the guns youre gonna need em to go kill yourself"
Old 05-28-2006, 06:43 PM   #183
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Melvinman5000: backmask warning
Melvinman5000: the first line is "play this record backwards theres a message over the sucker, play this record backwards then go fuck yourself"
Melvinman5000: "all the people you love in a river of blood and dont forget the guns youre gonna need em to go kill yourself"
JOK3R
05-28-2006, 07:47 PM

definitely hear the message on intension. pretty cool.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:47 PM   #184
On Probation

definitely hear the message on intension. pretty cool.
æmoeba•°·.'s Avatar æmoeba•°·.
05-29-2006, 12:59 PM

now i hear it, i thank you and that was excitingly interesting
Old 05-29-2006, 12:59 PM   #185
Level 7 - Loquacious

now i hear it, i thank you and that was excitingly interesting
Fulcanelli's Avatar Fulcanelli
05-29-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagacious Foetu
still hilarious to me. in fact, if anyone DOESN'T find this hilarious (or even one further, if you take it SERIOUSLY), kill yourself.
Of course because Tool are too cool to give people a positive message. * rolls eyes *

What's wrong with you? This is a joke, of course, because people expect "evil" words to come out of backwards messages. However, this is also a joke because their message is positive and constructive, which tends to upset badasses such as you.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:08 PM   #186
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagacious Foetu
still hilarious to me. in fact, if anyone DOESN'T find this hilarious (or even one further, if you take it SERIOUSLY), kill yourself.
Of course because Tool are too cool to give people a positive message. * rolls eyes *

What's wrong with you? This is a joke, of course, because people expect "evil" words to come out of backwards messages. However, this is also a joke because their message is positive and constructive, which tends to upset badasses such as you.
he kept her hid away's Avatar he kept her hid away
05-29-2006, 02:16 PM

I remember Victims Family doing this on "anti satan song for mom" off of white bread blues, something about a cow, but for the life of me I can't remember the whole backwards message... ah yes just found it "I hope you break your needle, Tipper. You cow." what a hoot!

Last edited by he kept her hid away; 05-29-2006 at 02:20 PM..
Old 05-29-2006, 02:16 PM   #187
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

I remember Victims Family doing this on "anti satan song for mom" off of white bread blues, something about a cow, but for the life of me I can't remember the whole backwards message... ah yes just found it "I hope you break your needle, Tipper. You cow." what a hoot!

Last edited by he kept her hid away; 05-29-2006 at 02:20 PM..
he kept her hid away's Avatar he kept her hid away
05-29-2006, 02:23 PM

http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-backward-messages

seems like everyone's at it... even jefferson starship!
Old 05-29-2006, 02:23 PM   #188
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-backward-messages

seems like everyone's at it... even jefferson starship!
05-29-2006, 09:45 PM

obviously this pwns anything Tool can say

http://subliminal.ytmnd.com/
Old 05-29-2006, 09:45 PM   #189
Level 11 - Clamorous

05-31-2006, 10:29 AM

i did here the word "...forgive..." but i couldn't match sins...or Jesus was a faint sound..
Old 05-31-2006, 10:29 AM   #190
Level 7 - Loquacious

i did here the word "...forgive..." but i couldn't match sins...or Jesus was a faint sound..
eslupminoyler's Avatar eslupminoyler
05-31-2006, 11:40 AM

Anything about Jesus would match the music.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:40 AM   #191
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: I live in Heaven, but I'm on a vacation without my passport to get back.

Anything about Jesus would match the music.
PriceisRight's Avatar PriceisRight
05-31-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khemystri
The message is in reverse.

I GOT IT!!!!!! HERES THE ENTIRE MESSAGE IN REVERSE

WORK HARD, Stay in School, listen to your mother, your father is wise,
work hard, stay in School.. Listen to your mother, your father is right.
thats the message...if you listen under the wispering sounds you hear it.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:01 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by khemystri
The message is in reverse.

I GOT IT!!!!!! HERES THE ENTIRE MESSAGE IN REVERSE

WORK HARD, Stay in School, listen to your mother, your father is wise,
work hard, stay in School.. Listen to your mother, your father is right.
thats the message...if you listen under the wispering sounds you hear it.
06-01-2006, 10:03 AM

Yeah, Maynard is clearly saying it...
Old 06-01-2006, 10:03 AM   #193
Level 2 - Poster

Yeah, Maynard is clearly saying it...
06-01-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:

dude...ytmnd totally rox my sox out loud yo!

Old 06-01-2006, 10:13 AM   #194

Quote:

dude...ytmnd totally rox my sox out loud yo!

06-02-2006, 04:36 PM

Big discovery, you're going to hate me.

The beginning of the song, the whispering...it's all backwards. I was trying to figure out the words of the whispers, then I'm thinking "Wait, the breath, it's all wrong...it's backwards."

Lo and behold, one of the lines says "Stay in School", "Listen to your Mother". "Your Father is right"
I can't tell the other one. Sounds like "cars" or "carts" or "cards".

<edit>
Haha, it's already been posted. Rats, not quick enough to the draw.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:36 PM   #195
Level 4 - Thinker

Opening Whispers

Big discovery, you're going to hate me.

The beginning of the song, the whispering...it's all backwards. I was trying to figure out the words of the whispers, then I'm thinking "Wait, the breath, it's all wrong...it's backwards."

Lo and behold, one of the lines says "Stay in School", "Listen to your Mother". "Your Father is right"
I can't tell the other one. Sounds like "cars" or "carts" or "cards".

<edit>
Haha, it's already been posted. Rats, not quick enough to the draw.
06-06-2006, 01:53 AM

i dunno how MJK does it... if i were him i'd use my powers of mad lyrical creation for evil.
wikkid find.... keep up the good work (or i'll kill you) :D
Old 06-06-2006, 01:53 AM   #196
Level 4 - Thinker

i dunno how MJK does it... if i were him i'd use my powers of mad lyrical creation for evil.
wikkid find.... keep up the good work (or i'll kill you) :D
P1_PP1_N
06-06-2006, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaal
i love opeth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warartist
me too!
Ever hear Opeth backwards? It's htepO...
Old 06-06-2006, 04:15 AM   #197
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaal
i love opeth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warartist
me too!
Ever hear Opeth backwards? It's htepO...
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
06-12-2006, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo
Because Jesus does drugs
Old 06-12-2006, 08:26 PM   #198
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo
Because Jesus does drugs
07-20-2006, 04:25 AM

Don't know what it is. But could it be:

Here we have a stone
Gather, place, erase, our
shelter turned to home

This is best of both worlds (erase so / a razor) and 'our' fits nicely with all the 'we's'

Daniel
Old 07-20-2006, 04:25 AM   #199
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: 09 - Intension lyrics

Don't know what it is. But could it be:

Here we have a stone
Gather, place, erase, our
shelter turned to home

This is best of both worlds (erase so / a razor) and 'our' fits nicely with all the 'we's'

Daniel
Rhymic
08-03-2006, 11:00 AM

I always thought it was something like

Pure as we begin
Here we have a stone
Gather in place, it rains soon
Sheltered us a home

It almost sounds like "gather a place" and then "arrange so" or something like that. I think it is "sheltered us a home" though. When you say sheltered us, it sounds like shelter-duss. Just use that in rhythm. I could be wrong though...
Old 08-03-2006, 11:00 AM   #200
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: 09 - Intension lyrics

I always thought it was something like

Pure as we begin
Here we have a stone
Gather in place, it rains soon
Sheltered us a home

It almost sounds like "gather a place" and then "arrange so" or something like that. I think it is "sheltered us a home" though. When you say sheltered us, it sounds like shelter-duss. Just use that in rhythm. I could be wrong though...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply