opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Hush
User Name
Password
Old 11-20-2002, 05:48 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
the meaning (not too much for argument here)

Easily the most accessible of all TOOL videos. The only explanation I've ever even heard is that the video is a direct bash on the censorship fanatics. The song is also thought to be about censorship and, well, I think even MJK would have difficulty explaining it any other way. For those who haven't seen it, it's basically the band standing fully nude, sporting only what looks like electrical tape covering their mouths. And, for censorship (and modesty) reasons, they ARE indeed covering their genetalia. So that's about it...not the greatest of their videos but the message is admirable.

On a side note, I'm aware of the rule: "Avoid one-paragraph "this song is clearly about" posts; we can all figure that out"

However..someone had to say it.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 07:18 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Towards the end of the video they do foam at the mouth though; I would venture to guess that it's to show that you can't stop rabid speech with tape.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:13 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 27
I always thought the foam was soap...from their mouths being washed out with soap because of censorship.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:05 AM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

both of those are really reasonable... I hadent thought about what the foam meant.. never really payed much attention to the video in the first place... I can see why they never published it anywhere before salival.. thats when I first saw it.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:45 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

I always thought they were just like "lets foam at the mouth...it will be cool, hahaha", thus the laughter..
Old 11-24-2002, 06:37 PM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

agreed

yea, the meaning of the video and song, are pretty much right there in front of you, doesnt take a great deal of thinking to figure out the meaning, but its a cool video still, ah, i cant wait for live dvd
Old 12-01-2002, 08:37 AM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

I always thought they just used the foam becuase it would be a fun thing to do all standing around naked and such...
Old 12-06-2002, 09:51 AM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

I like the two ideas, one about washing the mouth out with soap, and the other how speech can't be shut out by tape. Very good ideas.
I think I agree with the "you can't stop rabid speech with tape" one more, just because the foam seeps through the tape, then the tape is off. And they were censored the whole time beforehand.. no real reason to have to have their mouths washed out if they were already censored, right?
Still both very insightful thoughts, I never even considered to analyze the foam. I paid more attention to them smiling about it and considered it for the most part just a big joke.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:21 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

foam interpretation

if anybody's still interested in the foam, i think maybe it's a display of how quieting and oppressing people causes unnatural things to occur. hey where do you guys get those cool thought-ability classification labels? they're neato cool.
Old 12-24-2002, 03:34 PM   #10
X

Bincount™: 746
Embrace this moment

I like it how they "censor" the video to a point. They do away with the nudity, but leave the whole "Fuck you!" part.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:14 AM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

One of the best vids of all time!!!
Old 01-19-2003, 03:32 PM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

this video sucks. sorry, but it's too not complex for my liking. i hate the fact that it's too easy to understand what's going on. makes me want to shoot myself.

"Into the Flood Again.. Same old trip it was back then"
"Wide awake, and keeping distance from my soul"
Old 02-10-2003, 02:23 AM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18
Quote:
Originally posted by Undefined
this video sucks. sorry, but it's too not complex for my liking. i hate the fact that it's too easy to understand what's going on. makes me want to shoot myself.
why dont you go kill your self, just kidding.

i'm sorry i just had to... >=)
Old 02-28-2003, 09:37 PM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5
I always thougjht the foam was just saliva. I know that sounds really dumb, but I thought of it as "hey. you can not control what I say andwhat I do. so I spit on your rules and regulations! I SOIL your "divine" wholsome rule as to regulate what is safe or unsafe for the innocent creatures of god to hear or see." as for the nudity, well that is very obvious (probably the only obvious thing that this band has ever done)

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: