opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-19-2006, 04:16 PM   #81
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/18 - Chicago, IL - Allstate Arena

That show was fuckin amazing besides the acoustics , echo shit , his voice kept distorting
or was that the shrooms? :). anyway i guess im spoiled from the theater tour at the begining of the year , nothing can compare to that. I like how they suck us in with parking people to guide us and get our 15$ then there no where to be found at the end of the show and its mass chaos and you fuckin idiots with your beer bottles all over the lot and not knowing how to drive need to go somewhere man. Disrespectfull idiots , other than that it was amazing the stage setup was fuckin awsome i like how everything blended into the back screen at times. and the lasers were awsome , i was trippin so hard , it was almost too intense. TOOL will own forever , I LOVE YOU ALL
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 04:25 PM   #82
Level 3 - Talker

why cant you just enjoy it for what it is. it was a fuckin arena concert. what do you expect , im still spoiled from the theater tour in may. that was flawless , but i can still respect the arena tour they always put there all into it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 04:28 PM   #83
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDeviations View Post
Danny was great.

Justin was great.

The lasers... who thought up this idea? "cheesy as fuck!" I agree.

Apparently I should've read some more reviews before going... I thought they'd have a huge screen as a backdrop with all kinds of visuals like back in 97... nope.. just those smaller screens behind Maynard... also pretty worthless.
The coolest effect was when all those screen went to static.

The bulbs on the backdrop are also lame.

Wings stunk.

46+2 was the best of the night and had the most crowd energy

If 1997 was a 10.. (and it was)
this show was maybe a 6 - if I'm being nice.

The songs off Aenima all sounded considerably better than anything off 10,000 Days or Lateralus.

Finally, maybe it was for the sake of Maynard's voice... but they backed the pace on a couple of the songs on the setlist.. which didn't go over well with me either.

I don't regret going... but if you're expecting greatness.. like 97-98... you'll be shaking your head when you're walking out.

you people are pretty retarded for the most part , the stage setup was awsome , they made everything blend in with the screens , so it looked like everyone dissapeared for a while
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 04:52 PM   #84
Level 1 - Lurker

im always on this site reading reviews, the only reason i registerd was to say..... at first people were mad cuz they werent playing wings and 10k days, now they play them and people arent happy cuz they dont play off undertow, people dont like their new music cuz its not the same as the old music.... well thats why tool is the best band ever, they evolve they try new things out and still put out awesome music with tons of talent....of course the shows are not the same as the lateralus tour, its the 10,000 days one, they are promoting their new music not their old music, can any of you just be happy with what they play? none of you will be happy with what you see, i am glad their stage and everything is changing, it shows you why they are the best band ever, they change everything completely and still are the best.... once again, this is their 10,000 days tour, more than likely they wont play the grudge, eulogy, and all those amazing hits, so do not expect them going to this show, be greatfull that they are playing again, geeze people you can not go to one concert and appreciate the music and talent without saying one bad thing, thats pathetic you all must be spoiled
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 06:13 PM   #85
Level 1 - Lurker

Why did Justin sit down to play a couple songs (I believe they were 10,000 Days and Wings for Marie)? I've never seen anybody do that before and thought it was weird. I mean, it makes sense if he was just tired-- But do you think he had to sit down to acutally play the pieces?

Hm.

I love the way Maynard "ended" the show three times and then said, "fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memories," three times in a row during Aenima.

HM.

Awsomeness Abounds.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 06:28 PM   #86
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidblue View Post
you people are pretty retarded for the most part , the stage setup was awsome , they made everything blend in with the screens , so it looked like everyone dissapeared for a while

stfu you already said you were tripping so hard, so obviously your opinion no longer counts on the show.

also while jambi and rosetta stoned is fine, i think wings is a little too long and doesnt really appeal to the tool majority only girls would actually cry during that song unless youre an overly sensitive male. its just not a song to be played live IMO.

25 minutes wasted they could have played the grudge, parabol, H, opiate.

Last edited by jake5824; 09-19-2006 at 06:32 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 06:31 PM   #87
Level 1 - Lurker

This was offcially my first Tool concert and, for the most part, I was not dissapointed. As this is also officially my first entry, I'll give a very brief background. Started listening to Tool in 1996. First album - Undertow. Really became a fan after listening to Aenima. Just recently purchased Opiate - can't believe I waited so long. It's amazing and raw. Although the band has progressed musically, I still find myself drawn to earlier works: 1992-1996 (Opiate, Undertow, Aenima). I like Laterlus and 10,000 Days in terms of the complexity of the music, but miss the anger, energy and rawness.

The Concert: To some extent, my reaction to the 9-18-06 concert (Allstate Arena) reflects my feelings about the progression of Tool's music. The concert began with Stinkfist, which electrified the audience, and ended with Aenima - produced a similar effect. Maynard, despite battling illness, sounded incredible. He performed several songs that pushed him vocally and he rose to the occasion. I understand that tool had to cancel the next day's event. Thus I feel fortunate and appreciative of the fact that Maynard was willing to push himself so hard. However, songs from Opiate and Undertow were absent. I was hoping for just one or two numbers from the old days. The mid-part of the concert was, to some extent, lacking as songs from 10,000 days and laterlus predominated. These songs are incredible, don't get me wrong. I appreciate the direction that Tool's music has taken, but found it difficult to stay connected during some of the 8-10 minute epics. That said, the song 10,000 days was haunting and I found myself pulled back in as the end of the song gradually intensified. Again, I just would have liked to heard some stuff from 1992.

Last Note: I was somewhat suprised by maynard's presentation. Video clips of past concerts that I have found on the internet generally show Tool's frontman as a shadowy figure, far removed from the audience, and painted in various colors (typically half blue and half white). Last night, Maynard looked every bit the rock star that I didn't expect him to be. Although he very rarely moved to the front of the stage (opting, instead, to stay in the background, next to Danny Carey), he remained quite visible and animated. Flexing his body in ways that were matrix-like and wearing only a tight pair of bluejeans (with large beltbuckle), cowboy boots (I think), and a cowboy hat. At one point, before starting his next number, Maynard laid on his back, his arms stretched wide, with his head tilted back facing the audience. The crowd went nuts; they were adoring their frontman. And, it seemed to me, that the only reason Maynard took this position was to evoke such adoration. At about this time, my female friend (very new to tool and also attending her first concert) stated, "He's really sexy; I didn't expect him to be sexy." I guess I didn't either. I think I expected that shadowy figure, a brooding, intense, and angry figure, whose presentation was consistent with the lyrics he was singing. This was not the case. I don't think I'm dissapointed - Maynard was very entertaining. I guess I was (and still am) just surprised. Maybe those of you who are veterans of tool concerts could educate me.

Overall, the concert did not dissapoint. I truly believe that Tool is one of the greatest bands to surface in the last decade and a half. Their talent is obvious in the albums they put out, and it was obvious last night. If the opportunity arises, I would definetely go see them again.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 06:32 PM   #88
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissy View Post
Why did Justin sit down to play a couple songs (I believe they were 10,000 Days and Wings for Marie)? I've never seen anybody do that before and thought it was weird. I mean, it makes sense if he was just tired-- But do you think he had to sit down to acutally play the pieces?
Justin sits down for Wings just to enhance the mood I assume. It's not exactly a song you rock out to...

Last edited by sweatyturtle19; 09-19-2006 at 06:35 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 06:56 PM   #89
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick View Post
At one point, before starting his next number, Maynard laid on his back, his arms stretched wide, with his head tilted back facing the audience. The crowd went nuts; they were adoring their frontman. And, it seemed to me, that the only reason Maynard took this position was to evoke such adoration.
He did this during Lost Keys portraying the patient being examined, not just to "evoke adoration".
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 07:01 PM   #90
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konflixion View Post
He did this during Lost Keys portraying the patient being examined, not just to "evoke adoration".
Thanks. The symbolism was obviously lost on me.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 07:03 PM   #91
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissy View Post
I had a great vantage point for wings(with respect to Justin, about 10ft in front of him) and I have to say he was doing alot of crazy finger picking for it. I also enjoyed him using a beer bottle for the trickling intro noises of vicarious, that was fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konflixion View Post
I think he just wanted to lie down and count the lighters that were all going. That is by the way what he was doing, pointing at them all, it's what made me turn around and see them all.

And speaking of such things, I loved his dancing/wobble running in circles during rosetta stoned.

Last edited by plsck; 09-19-2006 at 07:10 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 07:27 PM   #92
Level 1 - Lurker

You guys bitch too much (teenagers,cell phone cameras,lasers,SMOKE,sound,people not singing,people talking...)! i was in 111 row a and i had a killer show... its a show that crap is GONNA happen. seams to me that those of you who bitch about the stuff i listed above didnt even pay half as much attention to the band as you should have...
quit your bitching manard played sick and they cannceled the next show... we got lucky to even SEE them! again i say KILLER SHOW!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 07:32 PM   #93
Level 4 - Thinker

This was my 4th Tool concert and I thought it was superb. My girlfriend and I had floor tickets which she got me for my 21st birthday, which was Sunday, just 2 days ago!!! This was her 1st and probably last Tool concert since she prefers country music (I told this to some dude selling tickets outside, and he told her "Well, Maynard wears a cowboy hat." ).

This was my 2nd time seeing Tool at the Allstate, the first being on 9-9-01, which I don't remember clearly since the terrorist attacks happened two days later. So anyhow, after driving to school, giving a presentation, and getting a $50 parking ticket, we made our way from downtown Chicago to the Allstate Arena. We got to the area about 5:30, and stopped for some food at the restaurants nearby. We also tailgated and had some beers and some of those new alcoholic energy drinks. I got pretty wasted. Then we made our way in after the doors opened at about 7:30. I didn't buy any merchandise this time, but wish I had bought the white short sleeve shirt with the tour dates on it. We had another drink inside and just chilled in the lobby while Isis played. We heard them finish at about 8:30, so then we got down to the floor to get a decent standing spot. I'd say we were about 30 feet from the stage, pretty much inline with Justin playing his bass. My girl didn't want to get caught in any moshing.

I really enjoyed the show. Sound was good. I thought the lighting and video screens were really cool. The 3 circular lighting rigs above the stage tilted and descended somewhat. They lit up with a flame effect for the end of Schism, representative of the flames on the ceiling at the end of the music video. The laser lights were busted out for Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days and continued. Then the lights hanging in back of the stage came on and were in the shape of Alex Grey's Net of Being which was a really cool touch. Some dude let me hit his joint. Hearing Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days live for the first time was magnificent. I could tell the whole band was performing hard and it was perfect. Justin had to sit down while playing like a mad man. During the band's intermission, there was alot of people with their lighters going. It looked really cool as well. One of the band members had a lighter going too. Danny flicked a lighter too a few times without success I think. This time around I avoided looking at setlists posted online. I was hoping they would play Eulogy, but they did not. Oh yeah, and the stage hands/techs wearing the white lab coats was definately a creepy, yet sweet touch.

Once it was all over and the lights came on, we got a better look at the stage. The floor of it was painted white, and all the guys taking everything down had little blue booties over their shoes! Kinda funny. We slowly made our way out, unfortunately forgetting to pick up our floor ticket stubs as souvenirs.

Here are the only four pictures I was able to take:

http://home.comcast.net/~bozobuttz/toolallstate1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~bozobuttz/toolallstate2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~bozobuttz/toolallstate3.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~bozobuttz/toolallstate4.jpg

Last edited by bozobuttz; 09-19-2006 at 10:40 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 07:55 PM   #94
On Probation

Oh, I forgot to say.... ISIS was great.

very pleasantly surprised to say the least... I definitely suggest anyone going to a future show.. get there early enough to see them.

don't believe the bad press they get from others in this forum
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 08:05 PM   #95
Level 2 - Poster

The concert was just as I expected from reading reviews of previous shows. People around me seemed to think I had ESP or something, but if they were true diehard fans they would've at least known something about the current tour and how it was progressing up to that point. I mentioned to a few people how Maynard was sick and how the past couple of shows had been (from what I read) and that one show had already been cancelled and we should feel lucky they didn't postpone or cancel. Someone asked me what was behind the black curtain and I said "not much, just some strings of light" At the end of Aenima, I said, "Okay, that's it, we can go now." Nobody moved. "That's all they're gonna play, seriously." Nobody moved. Then the lights came on and it suddenly dawned on them that the show was over.

But before the show started behind the stage where anybody could stand, I spotted Justin in his camoflouge hoodie come in from the outside and quickly walk through the backstage entrance. I yelled "Hey, Justin! What's up?" He simply nodded to me while trying not to be noticed. I didn't see any other band member besides him.

Loved the music (of course) despite the poor acoustics of a sports arena. The visuals behind the band were great from where I could see (Sec 113 Row N). Maynard was fun to watch as always and Justin seemed really into it like he usually is. What can you say about Danny besides being one of the most underrated rock drummers ever. (I never hear people give him props, even from fans of Rush and Neil Peart, "Danny who?" DANNY CAREY, YOU IGNORANT PIECE OF SHIT!) Adam sounded awesome and moved around only once which is more than I ever saw him move, but then again, he's got a lot of high tech shit around him to attend to.

The lasers didn't add much and neither did the Christmas lights.

I would have to say TOOL reached their peak of performance with the Lateralus tour. The video screens were fantastic (EVERYONE could see them), they played longer and I was left completely breathless and euphoric each time. I didn't get the same from them this show, but maybe I'm just more jaded and have come to expect more and that's probably my fault as I'm closer to forty than thirty now. Still a fantastic performance musically, just not as good a production value as the last time I saw them.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #96
Level 1 - Lurker

Maynard opted not to belt out the big finish – the last few lines – of Vicarious, instead he let the crowd have the honors, and they (we) did a pretty good job IMHO. Everyone understood why he didn’t sing that part too… He said he’d been sick for a couple weeks and asked that we bear with him. I would never have known that there was a problem with his voice.

This was my second Tool show – the last one being 4 years ago at the UC. Here are some of the differences I noticed between the 2 shows:
- Gone are the huge video screens that flanked the stage. Instead the stage itself was the screen, along with an 8 foot wall along the back. As they were setting up I was wondering why the stage was all white. On it they projected (although I’ll be damned if I could say from where – from behind? underneath perhaps?) images and patterns and occasionally video footage (especially on Schism). It kinda reminded me of those old 60’s rock “videos” where the band would play in front of some psychedelic swirling tie-dyed backdrop. But this was way more sophisticated…clear…creative – mine blowing even.

- No guitar for Maynard. This time he played a l'il keyboard occasionally. He used it as a pitch pipe before he started singing The Pot and he played it all the way through Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days.

- Instead of his familiar hand held mike, Maynard use a mike stand throughout most of the show. This is a small change I know but significant in some way I think. Sometimes he would run in circles trying to decide where to set it down. For Rosetta Stoned he had a handheld with some gizmo slung over his shoulder –some type of voice modulator I suppose.

Maynard hit the stage wearing a cowboy hat and dungarees with a huge brass belt buckle. He also wore an ATF jacket which he removed and put back on a few times (he must have really had the chills – he lied down on stage during Lost Keys). At times when he wasn’t singing he did some country dance moves. When he took off the cowboy hat you could see he was sporting a Mohawk.

Overall the show was incredible. The sound was great. My chick, who is not really even a Tool fan, said it was awesome – so what does that tell you? Danny is amazing to watch. Unfortunately a cymbal was blocking my view so it looked like a human torso with a cymbal head. With the lights and lasers and sound and the overall power of Tool’s music, this is a show I will never forget. Perhaps the best I’ve ever seen.

For the encore break the band stayed on stage, having a seat on the riser Maynard sings from. They sat there for a few minutes then finished up with the last 3 songs. During the encore some string lights were used behind the stage rising up the height of the backdrop in a sort-of hourglass shape. It reminded me of Vegas. As they waved goodbye Adam held up his guitar and swung it like a pendulum for a few seconds as if asking the crowd what they thought of his playing. They (we) roared with approval and all that remained was the traditional throwing stuff out to the audience. Maynard threw out a bunch of water bottles – I wondered if the people who caught them would also catch his cold. Great, GREAT show!

A quick note on ISIS. They remind me of the band at the beginning of Twisted Metal for the PSP. Musically they kinda sounded like a cross between The Cure and Korn. Not a whole lotta lyrics and half of them sung like Cookie Monster (oh how I wish that would go away). Otherwise they have potential if they can write some interesting songs.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 08:45 PM   #97
Level 1 - Lurker

i was there!
section 210
and now i'm so fucking glad i got tix to chicago instead of madison
(and when i woke up today i was actually thinking of heading out and taking my chances of scoring tix)

i was not disappointed ~ the show rocked!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 09:00 PM   #98
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerine kills View Post
I was in section 210 and had the same problem. No one aroud me knew any of the words (It was even a problem during Stinkfist). However, that was a minor qualm in comparison to their talking throughout Wings/10,000 Days. What the fuck, people? Regardless, great show. The next time TOOL shows up in Chicago, I'd like to meet up with some TDN members. Hope everyone enjoyed themselves.
i was in 210....and we rocked the fuck out.....so much so that i have no idea if anyone around me was or not ~ and i know the words but i (mostly) mouthed them.....cuz i came to hear maynard sing it, not me
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 09:52 PM   #99
Level 1 - Lurker

"My throat hurts and my vagina itches."

I loved the show. Everything was amazing. Rosetta Stoned was cool to hear lilve. Everything was, even if Maynard was sick. Hell, he did The Pot cause our pizza rules, right?!?

Was hoping to hear Bottom, tho.
Eh, next time.....
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-19-2006, 10:29 PM   #100
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDeviations View Post
Oh, I forgot to say.... ISIS was great.

very pleasantly surprised to say the least... I definitely suggest anyone going to a future show.. get there early enough to see them.

don't believe the bad press they get from others in this forum
Please tell me what was so great about ISIS........... Anyone? I used the time they wasted to go get a beer and have a couple smokes. I definately suggest anyone going to a future show boo their asses off the stage. There are many bands that would have opened much better for Tool. I wish my part of ticket sales that ISIS collects could go to getting them music lessons.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 06:11 AM   #101
Level 1 - Lurker

wow, i dont know if it was the srooms kickin in around jambi, or the home grown that i smoked through out the show, but that might have been the best tool show yet, yeah maynard was sick, but i dont think he skipped a beat. the lasers turned my mind into sludge and wings might just be the best tool song ever preformed. i cant tell you how many times ive seen them now but its the first since they played the fox in detroit and nothing compared to this one. it was the best hands down. isis was whatever, if your gonna bitch about them then get fucked, they're an opening band, what did you want? bitch bitch bitch, i would love you guys to bitch to the band, like they give a fuck. you gotta go to tool with an open mind and no expectations, then you never leave unhappy. the stage was insane, im completely floored right now. i can only hope that the detroit and cleveland shows are equally amazing. to resond to some "TOOL FANS", why would they play anything from undertow? what tour do you think this is? that shit came out over 10 years ago, where were you then? maynard with the mohawk/mullet, yeah i bet you were still listening to bush and weezer. theres tool, then theres everyone else, remember that
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 06:47 AM   #102
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings for Me View Post
wow, i dont know if it was the srooms kickin in around jambi, or the home grown that i smoked through out the show, but that might have been the best tool show yet, yeah maynard was sick, but i dont think he skipped a beat. the lasers turned my mind into sludge and wings might just be the best tool song ever preformed. i cant tell you how many times ive seen them now but its the first since they played the fox in detroit and nothing compared to this one. it was the best hands down. isis was whatever, if your gonna bitch about them then get fucked, they're an opening band, what did you want? bitch bitch bitch, i would love you guys to bitch to the band, like they give a fuck. you gotta go to tool with an open mind and no expectations, then you never leave unhappy. the stage was insane, im completely floored right now. i can only hope that the detroit and cleveland shows are equally amazing. to resond to some "TOOL FANS", why would they play anything from undertow? what tour do you think this is? that shit came out over 10 years ago, where were you then? maynard with the mohawk/mullet, yeah i bet you were still listening to bush and weezer. theres tool, then theres everyone else, remember that
you are exactly right...some of these people just have waaaaaaaay to high of expectations. this show was absolutely brilliant. i heard this one asshole say "they didn't play sober" with a dissapointing look on his face. its weird that he and i had such total opposite reactions to the show. as much as i would have loved to hear stuff from undertow and opiate, whats the big deal? bands evolve and if we can't evolve as fans we might as well just listen to pop music. the overall show these gentlemen put on is hard to describe in words. having seen them twice before on the floor, i'm glad i was in the stands for this one. from where we were the sound was great, you could see the entire band, and the visuals were great. why are lasers cheesy? when you pay the amount we all paid we should get more than just music, which is what we got. squeegee your third eye. i kept thinking to myself while hearing music from aenema "god, i can't believe this stuff came out 10 years ago". maynard reminded me of a clutch quarterback playing through injuries. knowing he'd probably be damaged i nthe future, he gave us everything he had and for that i will always give him respect. i always knew adam jones was good but not having a view of him in my previous two concerts, i had no idea he was that good. goosebumps the entire time. also one last note:
quit making a big deal of cigarette and pot smoking. i'd rather be attending a concert where people were chillin, smoking weed, than a bunch of idiots getting drunk and obnoxious. and smoking cigs? are you part of the truth campaign or something?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 07:33 AM   #103
Level 1 - Lurker

Tssk, Tssk, Tssk fellow Chicagoans!

Anyone that has a complaint about the show should lighten up! It was totally incredible! The lasers were NOT cheesy, in fact we were the ONLY city who made fun of them. And YES the set list has been the same for three whole nights (as opposed to other bands who keep it the same for an entire tour) but don’t you people realize how much work goes into choreographing and timing those screens to go along with every song! Guess not.

Anywho…Isis…yeah…probably better kept to an instrumental band but still a good “appetizer”….left only mild nausea. : )

TOOL

For those of you who were a bit inebriated/intoxicated/stoned/testosterone flooded—Here is the CORRECT quote that Maynard said about the bears:
“A certain doctor who will not be named (probably so fans don’t track him down and kill him!) told me not to sing this song tonight but you guys have good pizza and the Bears so fuck it!” Launches into “The Pot”.

The set list was tight and Maynard was really trying despite his sore throat. I only spotted one difficulty during The Pot’s high notes you could actually hear his throat crack so bad I winced. It must’ve killed the poor guy, but he continued to stun and never bitched.

Chicago I love you but seriously chill out. If you didn’t walk away feeling totally happy and exhilarated by their effort and artistry, maybe it’s time for you cynical ass to move on…maybe Slipknot or Isis is more your taste ; )

Finally it was great to see more of my fellow females out last night, c’mon ladies you can post too they won’t bite…too hard.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 07:44 AM   #104
swept underneath my skin

Bincount™: 1097

This show seemed a bit short. if I recall correctly it was just under two hours.

The openeing band was ISIS (pronounced eye-sis).

I enjoyed the interesting spins on some of Tool's songs, though I didn't like that in Aenima, maynard repeated "fuck retro-anything, fuck your tatoos, fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memory" three times instead of singing all the other fuck-you's.

The stage was white. mirrors on the floor for ligthing effects.

Fuckups I picked up on:

Justin missed the solo in The Pot completely. I do believe that is a Bass solo, and it never came. Justin was fiddling with his pedals and setup a lot throughout the concert.

Maynard missed a lot of the very opening of The Pot. He joked that his doctor said he shouldn't sing it -- something about his throuat and vagina itching.

Aenima was a great closing song. They try very hard to keep you guessing which song is going to come next. Directly before Aenima, I was sure it was going to be Right in Two.

edit: Despite anything, The concert fuckign rocked.

Last edited by LabRat404; 09-20-2006 at 07:47 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 08:08 AM   #105
Level 3 - Talker

This was the first large arena show I've seen this tour.

1. Nothing unexpected in the setlist as always. They choose good songs, but it's still a short list. For $70, I'd like to get more than 1 hour and 45 minutes of music.

2. Typical performances from everyone. Danny is fun to watch. Adam and Justin pretty much stand still, but sound ok. Maynard was off-key a lot as usual. I know he said he was sick, but he sounded the same as most times I've seen them. I didn't notice a difference.

3. The visuals were weak, except for the lasers. But when compared to the lat tour, these visuals are shit. I like some of the new imagery, but I could hardly see it since IT'S ON THE FLOOR.

All-in-all, I feel bad for anyone who hadn't seen them before this tour. It's still a better-than-average rock show, but I really don't think it's anywhere near as good as the Lateralus shows. I'll be relieved when Isis goes back on tour by themselves. They were amazing for the short time they had.

I guess the highlight for me was the young lady in the row behind me (I was in section 104 row F) who painted herself blue and took off her shirt.

Last edited by saturnal; 09-20-2006 at 08:17 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 08:11 AM   #106
Level 1 - Lurker

many shows - 1st reply. They sucked!!!!!!!! The setlist is getting boring, who's sick in the band? stop shooting heroin & maybe they could keep their health. FUCK TOOL - maynard too, he's a whiney little bitch who's unhappy about the size of his dick! politics don't belong here. Go fuck yourself you pompous bitch. should have stayed home & let one of you losers have my ticket. very unhappy!!!!! new album sounds like the first - talk about stagnating - jams were rehearsed - played the same every time - try something new, huh?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 08:48 AM   #107
swept underneath my skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnal View Post
This was the first large arena show I've seen this tour.

1. Nothing unexpected in the setlist as always. They choose good songs, but it's still a short list. For $70, I'd like to get more than 1 hour and 45 minutes of music.

2. Typical performances from everyone. Danny is fun to watch. Adam and Justin pretty much stand still, but sound ok. Maynard was off-key a lot as usual. I know he said he was sick, but he sounded the same as most times I've seen them. I didn't notice a difference.

3. The visuals were weak, except for the lasers. But when compared to the lat tour, these visuals are shit. I like some of the new imagery, but I could hardly see it since IT'S ON THE FLOOR.

All-in-all, I feel bad for anyone who hadn't seen them before this tour. It's still a better-than-average rock show, but I really don't think it's anywhere near as good as the Lateralus shows. I'll be relieved when Isis goes back on tour by themselves. They were amazing for the short time they had.
I second this post. However, Justin did throw his hair around a bit.

Good show, however, compared to Lateralus (2002 I think, Wings Stadium, Kalamazoo, Michigan) This show was weak.

Last edited by LabRat404; 09-20-2006 at 08:51 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 08:51 AM   #108
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I dont mean to be super critical of people here... ehhh fuck it.

You complainers are absolutely pathetic. The show was great.

If you did not like it please do not by a ticket to the next show. Save yourself the trouble and the complaining so people that really do want to be there can get better seats and not here all the negativity during the show.

Go fuck yourself and everything up somewhere else.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 08:55 AM   #109
Level 1 - Lurker

Tool fucking rocked!! This was my first Tool show ever and I was blown away. I wish it had been longer though, but even if it was 3 hours long I would still want more. lol. The visuals were awesome. The audio was amazing. (Maynard sick.......still the best singer I have ever heard.)
*Ohh and to all of you posting negative things about Tool and/or praising ISIS, in my opinion Isis was ok, but TOOL fucking ROCKED. Maybe you should go see Isis next time and free up the seats to some actual TOOL fans.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 08:56 AM   #110
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake5824 View Post
since all the 10k days songs are average at best it is more disappointing when they leave out a song like sober, and squeegee your third eye? wtf lol i love when people like you think they are more interesting saying dumb stuff like that
average at best...thats a fact folks, not an opinion. "people like you" because you know me so well. if you want to hear sober so bad turn on any random rock radio station across america during any 10 minute period...you'll hear it trust me. i'd like to have heard undertow or bottom, but i'd rather hear ANY other tool song than sober performed. not a bill hicks fan?

Last edited by jimribs; 09-20-2006 at 08:59 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 08:57 AM   #111
swept underneath my skin

I didn't think ISIS was that great. The singer wasn't very good. He screamed well, but his singing needs much improvement. 4 guitars in one band? Jesus christ man, take the guitar away from the singer, lose a guitarist, and you've got a good band.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:00 AM   #112
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat404 View Post
I didn't think ISIS was that great. The singer wasn't very good. He screamed well, but his singing needs much improvement. 4 guitars in one band? Jesus christ man, take the guitar away from the singer, lose a guitarist, and you've got a good band.
i was thinking the exact same thing 3 guitars and a bass is just unneccessary. they weren't as bad as tricky or tomahawk though seeing those two open up for tool was an insult
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 09:11 AM   #113
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhay53 View Post
Maynard quote: "Some Doctor, I don't know what his name was, told me not to sing this song tonight. But you guys make great Pizza. And don't forget about the Bears. Fuck it.".....The Pot.

99% accurate..he said you guys (as in Chicago) have the best pizza and (something, thought he you "you root") for the Bears...Fuck it..."Who are you..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by imonlysleeping View Post
also during anema i swear he said "fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memory" at least 3 times :)
Yes he did, in fact I think it was 4 times. I'm sure he was making a point in doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober1 View Post
Not to be nitpicky but I could of swore he said "My throat hurts LIKE a vagina itches." The former really doesn't make much sense to me. Nard has no 'gina. Or does he...

I was in sec 104. The bass seemed a little lacking in my direction but all in all I had a fkg awsum time.
No, he the other guy was correct. Said he was still a little sick but would do his best. Then followed up with "My throat hurts and my vagina itches"
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 09:24 AM   #114
swept underneath my skin

If maynard was trying to make a point when repeating "Fuck you junkies" then..well, that just doesn't make any sense. Tool's probably done more drugs than the entire arena combined......

seriously....
Old 09-20-2006, 10:21 AM   #115
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober1 View Post
Not to be nitpicky but I could of swore he said "My throat hurts LIKE a vagina itches." The former really doesn't make much sense to me. Nard has no 'gina. Or does he...

I was in sec 104. The bass seemed a little lacking in my direction but all in all I had a fkg awsum time.
LOL yep he did say that. I thought it was funny. :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 10:26 AM   #116
swept underneath my skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren46&2 View Post
LOL yep he did say that. I thought it was funny. :)
I second the "MY throat hurts, and my vagina itches" idea. thats just funny, and something he would say imho.

edit: then again, whats it matter? he said vagina. woot.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:41 AM   #117
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffhead View Post
many shows - 1st reply. They sucked!!!!!!!! The setlist is getting boring, who's sick in the band? stop shooting heroin & maybe they could keep their health. FUCK TOOL - maynard too, he's a whiney little bitch who's unhappy about the size of his dick! politics don't belong here. Go fuck yourself you pompous bitch. should have stayed home & let one of you losers have my ticket. very unhappy!!!!! new album sounds like the first - talk about stagnating - jams were rehearsed - played the same every time - try something new, huh?
I have read this twice so far and was waiting for someone to nail your ass on what you said. Since no one has so far, I'll just give you my opinion:
Just becasue you are too closed minded to actually understand Tool's music does not give you the right to go on here and talk shit about maynard and about Tool. I think that more than likely, you are just jelous that Maynard has a bigger Dick than you and he fucking rocks. How can you say that politics dont belong here. What fucking world do you live in. I am curious to get an explanation on what it is that you meant about politics not belonging here, cuz from the angle I am looking at it you are a fucking idiot. I hope next time you dont purchase a ticket and some1 who really understands and appreciates their music can go.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 10:46 AM   #118
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffhead View Post
been a fan longer than most - being a fan to me, doesn't mean liking everything they do , even if they sucked. just to remind all of you - maynard is not GOD.
have you read all of the posts on here? My post was more directed at a perticular quote where someone said that Maynard sounded like a whining little bitch and on and on.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 11:39 AM   #119
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimribs View Post
i was thinking the exact same thing 3 guitars and a bass is just unneccessary. they weren't as bad as tricky or tomahawk though seeing those two open up for tool was an insult

The vocals were hard to determine.. no doubt.... and there was some primal yelling on a cpl instances.. but it didn't bother me at all... for me, the vocals were totally irrelevant.

The music itself is where it's at w them.

and for those who complain about his "singing"... it's 90% music and maybe 10% singing from what I remember.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 12:13 PM   #120
Level 2 - Poster

Danny is ALWAYS on point...a fucking juggernaut. Justin and Adam wailed during Schism. Maynard...you're 43 and your voice may drop at any moment...but you made me cry during 46 & 2!!! I have to say I miss the raw anger that they expressed during the early to late 90's on Undertow and Aenima...but as the vocalist put it..."Thats an emotion that has already been addressed." "I cannot continue to be angry forever...sure I get upset...I just deal with it in different forms." "If you want to hear that emotion...go by the records...its all in there."

You know what I have to say to that!!! "Teen angst just isn't cool anymore in your 40's."

This being my third show - St Paul, 01' and Chicago, earlier this year - did not hold a candle to the performance I witnessed just a few days ago...The band I saw 5 years ago is not the same group of guys...they're much balder, older, and KNOW how to put on an amazing spectacle for those who follow them...

The uncompromising quality of TOOL is that while their music may be held in high reguard because it is the end product that is their driving force for continuing to brand their lifestyle...they, in fact...live. They release an album every a 5 years...but you can bet that its going to be said with much more poise and authority than all of the other music that fills in those lengthy gaps.

Their music is something that carries such a savage level of emotion as it ebbs and flows from walk-up, to bridge, to chorus...Its like being part of a character in cinema. Yet the sheer fact that they are murderous in their efforts to preserve such a level of life in their sound is reason to be a guest in their reality.

From comedic, political satirists like Bill Hicks, to Deists like Thomas Paine and the Father of Psychoanalysis - Carl Jung, Sacred Geometry...Portishead...
This collective has opened my eyes to experiences I may have never known existed.

"Convince me of a soul where the mind had been examined whole."

Last edited by neotoma; 09-20-2006 at 02:44 PM..
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: