Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2009
User Name
Password
highlander
07-27-2009, 06:00 PM

would have posted sooner, but i had to do the registration thing. Anyway, i had an insanely outstanding time. This is my 2nd time seeing Tool (if you don't count the first time I "saw'' them when they were 2nd stage at Lollapalooza 1992 and I walked by the stage heading toward the main stage to see Dinosaur Jr. or some such crap band who was playing at the time and saw this short dude with a mohawk singing and just kept on walking. what can i say, i'm a moron. i digress......). I saw them in detroit for the lateralus tour, missed the 10,000 days tour because I was gone for all of 2007 and part of 08 in sunny southwest asia, choking on iraqi air, so I was ecstatic when I discovered they were coming to San Antonio. on a Friday no less.
i took my buddy who had never seen them before. we missed out on the ga tickets so we had to settle for way upper balcony seats which sucked, but we got a great view of the graphics and the lasers were intense. We got there early and sat in some seats in the 2nd row (as opposed to our 12th row, or 3rd row from the top seats). luckily no one showed up to claim them so we sat there the whole time, so thank you to whoever didn't show up. the only bad part was the severely semi-conscious kid who was directly behind me sitting on the stairs who i think puked or pissed himself or something. i felt a small splash on my arm at one point and can only imagine what the hell that was. luckily security showed up and shooed him away.
i'll just finish up with random thoughts:
- the band sounds freaking spectacular. yeah, the acoustics were not very good, but i think it's rare to have really good sound at a live show unless you can find the sweet spot in the venue. those dudes work really well together and are all about displaying their talents, whether it be music or art, as powerfully as they can. you could see it when adam was up there working with his effects gear during the breaks and before they came out for the encore. Those guys work hard.
- I thought it was awesome before the break when they lined up center stage for a minute or two and just stood there, basking. they deserve it.
-danny is exceptionally gifted, nice spurs representation
-i can only hope they come out with a live DVD because I'd like to be able to relive that show.
-i was wondering if maynard held the mike to the crowd at the end of vicarious. (i couldn't see of course) i just thought his mike/megaphone thing crapped out. that did suck , but it was the only thing that sucked about the show. that dude is so dry with his witticisms. makes it fun.
-pining for another album to come out so they'll come back again. hope that wasn't the last time i'll get to see them, but if it was, i'm thankful i got to see them one last time.
thanks guys.
later
Old 07-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.24.09 - San Antonio, TX @ AT&T Center

would have posted sooner, but i had to do the registration thing. Anyway, i had an insanely outstanding time. This is my 2nd time seeing Tool (if you don't count the first time I "saw'' them when they were 2nd stage at Lollapalooza 1992 and I walked by the stage heading toward the main stage to see Dinosaur Jr. or some such crap band who was playing at the time and saw this short dude with a mohawk singing and just kept on walking. what can i say, i'm a moron. i digress......). I saw them in detroit for the lateralus tour, missed the 10,000 days tour because I was gone for all of 2007 and part of 08 in sunny southwest asia, choking on iraqi air, so I was ecstatic when I discovered they were coming to San Antonio. on a Friday no less.
i took my buddy who had never seen them before. we missed out on the ga tickets so we had to settle for way upper balcony seats which sucked, but we got a great view of the graphics and the lasers were intense. We got there early and sat in some seats in the 2nd row (as opposed to our 12th row, or 3rd row from the top seats). luckily no one showed up to claim them so we sat there the whole time, so thank you to whoever didn't show up. the only bad part was the severely semi-conscious kid who was directly behind me sitting on the stairs who i think puked or pissed himself or something. i felt a small splash on my arm at one point and can only imagine what the hell that was. luckily security showed up and shooed him away.
i'll just finish up with random thoughts:
- the band sounds freaking spectacular. yeah, the acoustics were not very good, but i think it's rare to have really good sound at a live show unless you can find the sweet spot in the venue. those dudes work really well together and are all about displaying their talents, whether it be music or art, as powerfully as they can. you could see it when adam was up there working with his effects gear during the breaks and before they came out for the encore. Those guys work hard.
- I thought it was awesome before the break when they lined up center stage for a minute or two and just stood there, basking. they deserve it.
-danny is exceptionally gifted, nice spurs representation
-i can only hope they come out with a live DVD because I'd like to be able to relive that show.
-i was wondering if maynard held the mike to the crowd at the end of vicarious. (i couldn't see of course) i just thought his mike/megaphone thing crapped out. that did suck , but it was the only thing that sucked about the show. that dude is so dry with his witticisms. makes it fun.
-pining for another album to come out so they'll come back again. hope that wasn't the last time i'll get to see them, but if it was, i'm thankful i got to see them one last time.
thanks guys.
later
OFFLINE |  
The Sven
07-28-2009, 04:27 PM

This was my eighth Tool show.

My fiance and I arrived to the venue and signed up for the drawing to win a director's chair autographed by the band. It never hurts to try, haha. Met up with Tmackc12 and chatted with him and his wife. Big thanks to him for the awesome tickets! After an overzealous security guard got to go on a power trip and stomped her way through every line yelling about how we can't open our cell phones during the show, we made our way into the AT&T center. Had a look at the merch, and then made our way to our seats. Had a pretty nice view of the stage from Section 6, row 12 (Which was more like row 6 since there were no floor seats set up for the first few rows.) I enjoyed Tweak Bird for the most part, especially their drummer. They were fun to listen to, but not as enjoyable for me as Tricky or Tomahawk was. Although Tool's setlist was nothing new from the last tour, it didn't make it any less enjoyable for me. I was caught up in the moment, and still felt the magic that I felt at every other show. Thought the new visuals were great, especially the video during Lateralus. It was something new, instead of the flying red phoenix that was used in the past for Lateralus and Reflection. I seem to think that at one point the band was bathed in purple light and fog coming down from the three "UFO" lights, which didn't occur at Dallas and was incredible. I'll comment more about the stage show during my Dallas review. I know you hear this a lot Junior, but truly amazing job. I can't wait to see what you pull off on the next Tool tour where hopefully a huge reboot/upgrade/change will be done to the stage show.

Also, thanks to whoever had to put a certain person in a headlock to agree to do this tour.
10/23/01 Oklahoma City, OK - 7/25/02 Tulsa, OK - 11/16/02 Oklahoma City, OK - 9/14/06 Dallas, TX - 5/11/07 Wichita, KS - 5/19/07 Oklahoma City, OK - 11/19/07 Tulsa, OK - 7/24/09 San Antonio, TX - 7/25/09 Dallas, TX - 6/23/10 Oklahoma City, OK
Old 07-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #42
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

This was my eighth Tool show.

My fiance and I arrived to the venue and signed up for the drawing to win a director's chair autographed by the band. It never hurts to try, haha. Met up with Tmackc12 and chatted with him and his wife. Big thanks to him for the awesome tickets! After an overzealous security guard got to go on a power trip and stomped her way through every line yelling about how we can't open our cell phones during the show, we made our way into the AT&T center. Had a look at the merch, and then made our way to our seats. Had a pretty nice view of the stage from Section 6, row 12 (Which was more like row 6 since there were no floor seats set up for the first few rows.) I enjoyed Tweak Bird for the most part, especially their drummer. They were fun to listen to, but not as enjoyable for me as Tricky or Tomahawk was. Although Tool's setlist was nothing new from the last tour, it didn't make it any less enjoyable for me. I was caught up in the moment, and still felt the magic that I felt at every other show. Thought the new visuals were great, especially the video during Lateralus. It was something new, instead of the flying red phoenix that was used in the past for Lateralus and Reflection. I seem to think that at one point the band was bathed in purple light and fog coming down from the three "UFO" lights, which didn't occur at Dallas and was incredible. I'll comment more about the stage show during my Dallas review. I know you hear this a lot Junior, but truly amazing job. I can't wait to see what you pull off on the next Tool tour where hopefully a huge reboot/upgrade/change will be done to the stage show.

Also, thanks to whoever had to put a certain person in a headlock to agree to do this tour.
10/23/01 Oklahoma City, OK - 7/25/02 Tulsa, OK - 11/16/02 Oklahoma City, OK - 9/14/06 Dallas, TX - 5/11/07 Wichita, KS - 5/19/07 Oklahoma City, OK - 11/19/07 Tulsa, OK - 7/24/09 San Antonio, TX - 7/25/09 Dallas, TX - 6/23/10 Oklahoma City, OK
OFFLINE |  
EyesOfAFallenAngel's Avatar EyesOfAFallenAngel
07-28-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sven View Post
After an overzealous security guard got to go on a power trip and stomped her way through every line yelling about how we can't open our cell phones during the show.
Funny, I forgot about this. The security guard (rather young girl) that was in our area (right behind us) pulled out her phone to take picture/video/whatever she was doing, and I saw her doing it. I went up to her and was like...sooo, is it cool if I take a picture on my phone? She said sure, as long as it didn't flash. Hahah. Either she didn't know what the "rules" were, or just didn't give a shit. I don't care, either way!

+1 Eoafa. end thread/ -Kelly
Old 07-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #43
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3227

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sven View Post
After an overzealous security guard got to go on a power trip and stomped her way through every line yelling about how we can't open our cell phones during the show.
Funny, I forgot about this. The security guard (rather young girl) that was in our area (right behind us) pulled out her phone to take picture/video/whatever she was doing, and I saw her doing it. I went up to her and was like...sooo, is it cool if I take a picture on my phone? She said sure, as long as it didn't flash. Hahah. Either she didn't know what the "rules" were, or just didn't give a shit. I don't care, either way!

+1 Eoafa. end thread/ -Kelly
OFFLINE |  
Tezcatlipoca
07-29-2009, 08:00 AM

6th Show and was a good one. I thought with all the time between the 1st 10,000 Days Tour this one would have been a bit different, but not really, I was at the May shows in 07' in San Antonio,then the following night in Corpus Christi, and really the only BIG difference was we got to hear FLOOD, this time that's it. I was in the 1st Continental Row and 3rd row for the 07' shows and about the 5th maybe 6th row distance from the rail at this show, and like I said I was a little disappointed that the music and the stage were pretty much the exact same. Maynard ditched the shirtless act an all leather getup, talk about a midlife crisis it's all good Maynard we all get old. I will say there was alot of criticism going into this tour seeing as no album and touring with the same music usually is a pay day tour, but hey that's neither here nor there. On top of that for Maynard at the end of the Show to say and I quote"THANK YOU AUSTIN" really was the give away that he had like somneone else in here aptly said "checked out", Austin is not even on the tour !!! He knew where he was, I mean Danny was sporting a Spurs jersey, like he dis the previous time in San Antonio. Maynard is a very sarcastic guy I know that, but for real dude your in S.A. not Austin !!! Other than that great show, I took my girlfriend who had never seen them, so she was awed to say the least. I got enough enjoyment in watching her face light up as they played the songs I too was all juiced to back in 07', I really was hoping for a fresh set list for both of us to be able to experience something new and unique. Probably my last show, unless they release some new music and decide to shake up the set-list with a few more tracks. But I honestly get the feeling Maynard is about to hang up the mic. Danny is killing it with Volto, Adam's always got his art and art design work to fall back on, so yeah unless they are planning o touring into the 50's, holy shit that in about 4-5 yrs. all the guys will be in their 50's man I'm getting old. Later.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:00 AM   #44
Level 3 - Talker

6th Show and was a good one. I thought with all the time between the 1st 10,000 Days Tour this one would have been a bit different, but not really, I was at the May shows in 07' in San Antonio,then the following night in Corpus Christi, and really the only BIG difference was we got to hear FLOOD, this time that's it. I was in the 1st Continental Row and 3rd row for the 07' shows and about the 5th maybe 6th row distance from the rail at this show, and like I said I was a little disappointed that the music and the stage were pretty much the exact same. Maynard ditched the shirtless act an all leather getup, talk about a midlife crisis it's all good Maynard we all get old. I will say there was alot of criticism going into this tour seeing as no album and touring with the same music usually is a pay day tour, but hey that's neither here nor there. On top of that for Maynard at the end of the Show to say and I quote"THANK YOU AUSTIN" really was the give away that he had like somneone else in here aptly said "checked out", Austin is not even on the tour !!! He knew where he was, I mean Danny was sporting a Spurs jersey, like he dis the previous time in San Antonio. Maynard is a very sarcastic guy I know that, but for real dude your in S.A. not Austin !!! Other than that great show, I took my girlfriend who had never seen them, so she was awed to say the least. I got enough enjoyment in watching her face light up as they played the songs I too was all juiced to back in 07', I really was hoping for a fresh set list for both of us to be able to experience something new and unique. Probably my last show, unless they release some new music and decide to shake up the set-list with a few more tracks. But I honestly get the feeling Maynard is about to hang up the mic. Danny is killing it with Volto, Adam's always got his art and art design work to fall back on, so yeah unless they are planning o touring into the 50's, holy shit that in about 4-5 yrs. all the guys will be in their 50's man I'm getting old. Later.
OFFLINE |  
baileylester
07-30-2009, 03:32 PM

5th show

Always a good show. Wish they would have played "Right in Two" instead of "Rosetta Stoned" O well still Cool, other than the young ass kid next to me, asking me to buy them beer. Is there min. age requirement for entering! Fuck Little kids. Plus People in the pit should be a shame of themselves. I thought ya'll were at Jewel concert or something. No One Was Rocking out! To everyone in the cheap seats, thumbs up. We should've been down there, start a riot!
Old 07-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

5th show

Always a good show. Wish they would have played "Right in Two" instead of "Rosetta Stoned" O well still Cool, other than the young ass kid next to me, asking me to buy them beer. Is there min. age requirement for entering! Fuck Little kids. Plus People in the pit should be a shame of themselves. I thought ya'll were at Jewel concert or something. No One Was Rocking out! To everyone in the cheap seats, thumbs up. We should've been down there, start a riot!
OFFLINE |  
PiperMaru
07-30-2009, 04:57 PM

I forgot to mention that this was my 6th Tool show. And I wished they had played Undertow and Pushit too.

Last edited by PiperMaru; 07-30-2009 at 04:59 PM..
Old 07-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #46
Level 1 - Lurker

I forgot to mention that this was my 6th Tool show. And I wished they had played Undertow and Pushit too.

Last edited by PiperMaru; 07-30-2009 at 04:59 PM..
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply