opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-20-2006, 06:48 AM   #121
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
Re: 2006/09/14 - Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
I have been an avid Tool fan since about 1993 and I think this was my 7th show....

...Either way, I will be there...
Good post imo (except I disagree about Rosetta Stoned... I like it. Besides, they have been playing Right in Two at some shows. We just didn't get it in Dallas... but I digress.) Your post reminds me of a post that a good friend of mine made a few weeks ago.

http://toolnavy.com/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=407
Live TOOL: 08.03.97, 07.25.98, 08.06.98, 08.07.98, 07.01.01, 08.06.01, 08.07.01, 10.07.01, 10.13.01, 10.25.01, 10.27.01, 10.28.01, 07.26.02, 07.27.02, 07.29.02, 07.31.02, 08.01.02, 11.07.02, 11.08.02, 11.09.02, 11.15.02, 11.16.02, 04.30.06, 05.08.06, 05.19.06, 05.20.06, 08.27.06, 09.11.06, 09.14.06, 05.15.07, 05.17.07, 05.21.07, 05.22.07, 05.24.07, 05.25.07, 05.26.07...

Last edited by optimistic-pessimist; 09-20-2006 at 09:28 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 06:59 AM   #122
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimistic-pessimist View Post
Good post imo. It reminds me of a post that a good friend of mine made a few weeks ago.

http://toolnavy.com/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=407
That post sums up EXACTLY how I feel. I first saw them in 1997, then twice in 1998. Maynard isn't as good a vocalist as he was then, but he could certainly try to be half the performer he was then. More people would leave their shows with a sense of awe and wonderment. I felt GREAT after the Dallas show, but not like I did in 1998. It's like using a drug for the first time and never getting that high again. That's how I felt in 1998 and it has continued to current. Come on Tool, new shows, covers, experimental versions. Give us something new.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 11:10 AM   #123
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
I have been an avid Tool fan since about 1993 and I think this was my 7th show. All seven were amazing compared to any other show I have seen from any other band and they sounded good at this one once again, especially considering the sickness and the fact that the sound wasn't that great - especially for Stinkfist. I thought the stage being the visual effect was a great idea and made for a better visual show than probably any other. I don't care if Maynard dresses up like a girl, a preacher, a cowboy, a sheep, a pony, or a normal guy. I also don't care if the all stand still, do cartwheels, or tap dance throughout the show. The only criticism I have of this show is the same criticism I have of every other Tool show I have seen since the Lataralus album was released....lack of creativity in the setlist and playing the songs themselves. I do like both albums quite a bit so don't get me wrong. I was happy to see that some other "old school" fans pointed out the same disappointment in previous reviews. Don't mis-read or mis-understand me. Everything everyone said about how "they didn't miss a word" or a note or whatever about how they sounded just as good if not better than the album was correct. They ALWAYS play that well and, by the standards set to any other band, that would mean they kick ass live. I am talking about the standards they set for themselves in the late 90s tours when they not only played better than they did on the album, but DIFFERENT than they did on the album. The best show I have ever seen from anyone live was the one here in 98. Almost every song was different from the album or extended in some way or at least a song you were not expecting them to play. I remember them opening with Cold and Ugly (not a single), playing the extended version of Stinkfist with the Elvis verse, playing You Lied (an unexpected cover song that had everyone confused and debating the origins), the bad ass slow version of Push It and long winded intro to Sober (both of which some of you heard many years later on the box set), and wrapping up with the super-kick ass extended version of Jerk-Off followed by that weird Hooker With a Penis outro. Almost every song they played then was out of left field in some way and it was incredibly creative.

They still do a little of this. They played the extended version of Stinkfist (minus the Elvis lyrics) and the people around me who did not know it got really fired up. Unfortunately, I have heard it live for 8 years so it was not exciting to me in the same way. There were some ever-so-slight modifications on some other songs, but they were hardly noticeable.

They played almost all of the new album, which they did on the Lateralus tour as well. They are both good albums and I know the tour is to promote those albums, but I wish they would re-visit some older stuff as well. I understand the avoidance of Opiate material because I don't think they still have their 20-something year old angry outlook on the world as much anymore. I am definately happy they finally took the Sober training wheels off their show and realized they could put that 6 minutes to better use with something we all had not heard at every show. But why not Prison Sex or 4 Degrees which are my two favorites from that album and I have NEVER heard either of them live? From the third album, why not scrap 46&2 and Aenema (even though it makes for a nice sing along) and play H or the slow version of Push It once again? Hell, throw in Hooker With a Penis for kicks - even better sing along.

Why not scrap Schism, which is played at every show and probably most people's least favorite from that album, and play The Grudge or Parabola or The Patient? And finally, Tool played almost every second of the new album except for Right in Two. Raise your hand if you would have liked to have heard the drums on that live - perhaps instead of the silly 20 minute rosetta stoned song?

I also miss the days of the cover song being thrown in. Rather it was No Quarter, You Lied, Comando, Stranglehold, or one of the others, it really gives something for you to run and tell your friends about. That is the complaint I have about the last several Tool shows I have seen. It isn't even a complaint because they always put on a great sounding show. It is just that, like someone mentioned before, you have to have something memorable to say about a concert to make it special. I could ramble on about the details of the show in 98 forever and how original and creative it was. All I can say or remember about this show a week later is...'They sounded just as good as the album and that is basically what they did - play the new album - note for note."

Tool is a better band than that. They got the reputation for being a great live band because they put more into their show than that. They dug down deeper than that. When you tried to sing along with them they would take you off on a tangent and you would not know where they were going. That is the exciting, goose bumps part of the
Tool experience that has been missing the last few times I have seen them. I hope they will go back to that creative, different aproach the next time around. Either way, I will be there...

I hear what you are saying BUT.....I don't see how anyone could not love the new 10,000 days album and the live performances of Vicarious, The Pot, Rosetta, Right In Two, 10,000 days! I just think Tool is growing and evolving and we should all be totally thankful that they are even on tour period!! Let's not live in the past wishing it was 1998 again....let's show our support for the present Tool so that we get "future" Tool!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 01:23 PM   #124
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcleveland View Post
I hear what you are saying BUT.....I don't see how anyone could not love the new 10,000 days album and the live performances of Vicarious, The Pot, Rosetta, Right In Two, 10,000 days! I just think Tool is growing and evolving and we should all be totally thankful that they are even on tour period!! Let's not live in the past wishing it was 1998 again....let's show our support for the present Tool so that we get "future" Tool!!!
Obviously you never saw them in 1998, or you would know why so many want to go back there. I experienced the best show of my LIFE hands down, on August 8, 1998. It was the only show (out of 8) that I've seen Tool do a cover. It was the only show where I saw Tool do an experimental version of one of their songs (Pushit) and it was the only show I was TRULY in AWE after leaving. I've seen over 150 bands in concert (probably a lot more but I can guarantee that many) and this was the only single show where I left going "How did they pull it off?"

The current tour is AWESOME.... if what you want to hear is the album versions of the songs, just like the CD, but louder and with the band members playing the music live. There is nothing wrong with that, I'd gladly pay $100 to see that show 2-3 times a year in my city.. More if I could afford to travel.

I can't tell you how much I would pay to see them repeat that performance in 1998. Well worth $300-400 without blinking an eye, and probably worth more.

If Tool promised me a show of 4 hours of music, with covers, experimental versions, a much more full catalogue of their music, or something along those lines, I KNOW for a fact many would pay $150+ to see that show.

Chad
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 02:11 PM   #125
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdeye11 View Post
If Tool promised me a show of 4 hours of music, with covers, experimental versions, a much more full catalogue of their music, or something along those lines, I KNOW for a fact many would pay $150+ to see that show.

Chad
I'd easily pay a grand for that ticket. It'd kinda be like going to the superbowl with your hometown team in it, only better. :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 04:54 PM   #126
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

Anyone notice the couple minutes of Faaip De Oiad before Lost Keys?
Old 09-20-2006, 05:07 PM   #127
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by delysid View Post
Anyone notice the couple minutes of Faaip De Oiad before Lost Keys?
I believe you're thinking of Mantra. I noticed it too.

(This further proves that Mantra is not a cat, or an old lady, or Bill Hix, or whatever, but rather just the band playing around with sound FX)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 06:51 PM   #128
Level 1 - Lurker

The four hour show with covers, experimental versions, and unexpected old favorites thrown in for a grand a ticket huh? I would rather pay a grand for that ticket than $100 again for my ticket to last week's shows. Like Thirdeye11 said it, if you don't understand that, then you just were not there. There are some live recordings floating around out there that might capture the moment we are talking about from that time period (as well as a CD can). Buy one if you can find one and you will see what we mean. Then, of course, mail the band a $20 bill so they don't feel robbed.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-20-2006, 10:34 PM   #129
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 7

A week after my second Tool show and my family and I are still talking about our experience.The show was filled with the some of the nicest people and I just wanted to thank everyone in attendance for a wonderful time.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: