Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Fear Inoculum
User Name
Password
Sleeper0013's Avatar Sleeper0013
09-14-2019, 12:23 PM

Please excuse the length of this post ill try to keep this as concise as i can.

Considering the multiple occurrences of 7 through out this album I decided to compare Fear Inoculum to the 7 steps of the alchemical process just for shits and giggles, or giggling shits. immediately found some interesting commonalities. This comparison led me to interesting metaphorical interpretation of the songs as the inner struggles that one goes through during stages of purification.

The 7 stages alchemy.

Calcination
Dissolution
Separation
Conjunction
Fermentation
Distillation
Coagulation

Fear inoculum applied to these 7 stages.

#1 Calcination – in this process you take the raw matter and applies extreme heat. In Psychological realm this could signify a trauma or and intimate experience with mortality. The Identity is usually challenged and elements of ego begin to become apparent and identified.

After a lot of thought on the matter It occurred to me, That the Story of Parsifal which is often spoken of in alchemical text has a lot in common with “Invulnerable”. You have the Knight that Spent half of his life trying to prove him self to the king so he can marry the his daughter. Its only after Parsifal realizes his mortality and his insignificance retaliative to the Universe does he return to the Castle to Ask the the question that will heal the land, the king, and all of the people of the kingdom. Who does the grail serve? once that question is asked the grail answers.

#2 Dissolution – In this process the ashes are added to water to dissolve all the material before the stage of separation. In the psychological realm, This refers to the Analysis one undergoes when one questions their own morality and becomes more aware of elements of the Ego.

The Track “Descending” contains the word Dissolution. The intro of the song contains sounds of the ocean or water.

3# Separation – The process of separation is usually done by centripetal motion, or gravity, the lighter particles float to the top and the heavy to the bottom so the impurities can be removed. In the psychological realm this is the stage where The unconscious begins to reveal it self. The good, the bad, the ugly, and the terrifying. This is where the person decides what parts of the unconscious self truly serves them and which do not. Another way to look at this is a slow Psychotic episode. Instead of getting swept away in the torrent of emotion from lack of conscious awareness one controls the experience in a way that is not overwhelming. in this stages one chooses to cut away the aspects of the self that don't serve or reinforce the aspects that do. this is also the stage where one realizes deeper truths about the nature of opposites, and their true unified structure.

“Culling voice” not only does the title refer to cutting away the song refers to psychosis.

4# conjunction in this state the valuable material is collected, and combined into a new substance. This can be done by applying heat again. In the psychological realm The conscious and the unconscious begins to merge. There can be struggle as opposites begin to equalize. One begins to accept the darker aspect of them selves and integrates that in to the new self. This is also referred to as the dark night of the soul where the self is annihilated and a new self emerges.

“Tempest” a violent storm resulting from the equalization of extremely high and low pressure areas, this will eventually pass. in this song the narrator is speaking about accepting the Tempest for its nature and all of the destruction it brings about.

#5 Fermentation – Bacteria or other living organisms are added to continue break down, The the purified valuable material begins to emerge. In psychological terms the new self is tested. through Trials and tribulations Strength grows. This stages is also considered part of the dark night of the soul.

To begin the fermentation of grapes into wine one “Inoculates” the Grapes with yeast.

#6 Distillation The solution is Boiled and condensed in order to further purify the substance. The transpersonal self begins to emerge like a butterfly. Contemplation of the infinite and its relation to the self is usually involve in this stage.

Through the process of elimination “Chocolate Chip trip” ended up here. Interesting that it didn't move.

#7 Coagulation - The substance is crystallized into a solid state. Here, there is the final meeting between matter and spirit, inner and outer, good and evil, the union of dualities. It is at this stage where the spirit has become self aware - it perceives itself, and it sees and understands that the inner world and the outer world are not different, but reflections of each other.

“Pneuma” - the breathing Spirit

Before in another post i suggested that Each of the Full length studio albums represented a Sphere on the middle pillar of the kabbalistic tree of life. IF this alchemical interpretation of Fear inoculum is valid it would most definitely put Fear lnoculum in the upper triad of the tree connecting to kether. 10,000 day representing "Daath" the trauma or that realization of insignificance, "binah" the dark night of the soul. "Chokma" the Merging of the Masculine and feminine, and "Kether" pure spirit.

Interesting tightly wrapped package this seems to be. i don't know could be reaching.

In no way do i suggest or condone alternative track orders. Do so only at your own risk!!! Should you incur injury, legal repercussions, or criminal confinement I here by disavow responsibility or culpability legal or otherwise.
All assertions to a phenomenon are projected, and are the result of the mind stream projecting them. All phenomenon are of a relative nature, there for all phenomenon are subjective. All phenomenon Inherently contain their own contradiction, therefore All phenomenon are Empty and void of inherent assertions.

Last edited by Sleeper0013; 09-14-2019 at 12:31 PM..
Old 09-14-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13
Fear inocolum as applied to the Alchemical Process.

Considering the multiple occurrences of 7 through out this album I decided to compare Fear Inoculum to the 7 steps of the alchemical process just for shits and giggles, or giggling shits. immediately found some interesting commonalities. This comparison led me to interesting metaphorical interpretation of the songs as the inner struggles that one goes through during stages of purification.

The 7 stages alchemy.

Calcination
Dissolution
Separation
Conjunction
Fermentation
Distillation
Coagulation

Fear inoculum applied to these 7 stages.

#1 Calcination – in this process you take the raw matter and applies extreme heat. In Psychological realm this could signify a trauma or and intimate experience with mortality. The Identity is usually challenged and elements of ego begin to become apparent and identified.

After a lot of thought on the matter It occurred to me, That the Story of Parsifal which is often spoken of in alchemical text has a lot in common with “Invulnerable”. You have the Knight that Spent half of his life trying to prove him self to the king so he can marry the his daughter. Its only after Parsifal realizes his mortality and his insignificance retaliative to the Universe does he return to the Castle to Ask the the question that will heal the land, the king, and all of the people of the kingdom. Who does the grail serve? once that question is asked the grail answers.

#2 Dissolution – In this process the ashes are added to water to dissolve all the material before the stage of separation. In the psychological realm, This refers to the Analysis one undergoes when one questions their own morality and becomes more aware of elements of the Ego.

The Track “Descending” contains the word Dissolution. The intro of the song contains sounds of the ocean or water.

3# Separation – The process of separation is usually done by centripetal motion, or gravity, the lighter particles float to the top and the heavy to the bottom so the impurities can be removed. In the psychological realm this is the stage where The unconscious begins to reveal it self. The good, the bad, the ugly, and the terrifying. This is where the person decides what parts of the unconscious self truly serves them and which do not. Another way to look at this is a slow Psychotic episode. Instead of getting swept away in the torrent of emotion from lack of conscious awareness one controls the experience in a way that is not overwhelming. in this stages one chooses to cut away the aspects of the self that don't serve or reinforce the aspects that do. this is also the stage where one realizes deeper truths about the nature of opposites, and their true unified structure.

“Culling voice” not only does the title refer to cutting away the song refers to psychosis.

4# conjunction in this state the valuable material is collected, and combined into a new substance. This can be done by applying heat again. In the psychological realm The conscious and the unconscious begins to merge. There can be struggle as opposites begin to equalize. One begins to accept the darker aspect of them selves and integrates that in to the new self. This is also referred to as the dark night of the soul where the self is annihilated and a new self emerges.

“Tempest” a violent storm resulting from the equalization of extremely high and low pressure areas, this will eventually pass. in this song the narrator is speaking about accepting the Tempest for its nature and all of the destruction it brings about.

#5 Fermentation – Bacteria or other living organisms are added to continue break down, The the purified valuable material begins to emerge. In psychological terms the new self is tested. through Trials and tribulations Strength grows. This stages is also considered part of the dark night of the soul.

To begin the fermentation of grapes into wine one “Inoculates” the Grapes with yeast.

#6 Distillation The solution is Boiled and condensed in order to further purify the substance. The transpersonal self begins to emerge like a butterfly. Contemplation of the infinite and its relation to the self is usually involve in this stage.

Through the process of elimination “Chocolate Chip trip” ended up here. Interesting that it didn't move.

#7 Coagulation - The substance is crystallized into a solid state. Here, there is the final meeting between matter and spirit, inner and outer, good and evil, the union of dualities. It is at this stage where the spirit has become self aware - it perceives itself, and it sees and understands that the inner world and the outer world are not different, but reflections of each other.

“Pneuma” - the breathing Spirit

Before in another post i suggested that Each of the Full length studio albums represented a Sphere on the middle pillar of the kabbalistic tree of life. IF this alchemical interpretation of Fear inoculum is valid it would most definitely put Fear lnoculum in the upper triad of the tree connecting to kether. 10,000 day representing "Daath" the trauma or that realization of insignificance, "binah" the dark night of the soul. "Chokma" the Merging of the Masculine and feminine, and "Kether" pure spirit.

Interesting tightly wrapped package this seems to be. i don't know could be reaching.

In no way do i suggest or condone alternative track orders. Do so only at your own risk!!! Should you incur injury, legal repercussions, or criminal confinement I here by disavow responsibility or culpability legal or otherwise.
All assertions to a phenomenon are projected, and are the result of the mind stream projecting them. All phenomenon are of a relative nature, there for all phenomenon are subjective. All phenomenon Inherently contain their own contradiction, therefore All phenomenon are Empty and void of inherent assertions.

Last edited by Sleeper0013; 09-14-2019 at 12:31 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
UlyssEEEeeeEEEeees's Avatar UlyssEEEeeeEEEeees
09-14-2019, 09:33 PM

This changes everything.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:33 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Fear inocolum as applied to the Alchemical Process.

This changes everything.
09-14-2019, 09:43 PM

Yes yes!!
Old 09-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #3
Up From The Skies
Suicide Booth ID: 13

Bincount™: 26323

Yes yes!!
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
09-15-2019, 12:48 AM

most direct/literal/obvious TOOL album to date?
don't know yet, but wouldn't be at all surprised.

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 09-15-2019 at 12:54 AM.. Reason: coincidentia oppositorum
Old 09-15-2019, 12:48 AM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

most direct/literal/obvious TOOL album to date?
don't know yet, but wouldn't be at all surprised.

Last edited by iAMtheMA!; 09-15-2019 at 12:54 AM.. Reason: coincidentia oppositorum
09-15-2019, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper0013 View Post
(1) no,
(1) what?
(2) hold on.
(3) how dare you?
(5) this is toolnavy.
(8) one-liner bullshit so fuck you
Old 09-15-2019, 01:14 AM   #5
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
(1) no,
(1) what?
(2) hold on.
(3) how dare you?
(5) this is toolnavy.
09-15-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
tl;Dr
Track order proposed by topic starter

Invincible
Descending
Culling Voices
7empest
Fear Inoculum
Chocolate Chip Trip
Pneuma

What? me? No! Fake news! It was Obama's Fault! Noting to see here, Move along.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:04 PM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
tl;Dr
Track order proposed by topic starter

Invincible
Descending
Culling Voices
7empest
Fear Inoculum
Chocolate Chip Trip
Pneuma

What? me? No! Fake news! It was Obama's Fault! Noting to see here, Move along.
Sleeper0013's Avatar Sleeper0013
09-15-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheMA! View Post
(1) no,
(1) what?
(2) hold on.
(3) how dare you?
(5) this is toolnavy.

I tried to condense it down to a series of grunts and pointing, but a couple of things got lost in the translation.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:07 PM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
(1) no,
(1) what?
(2) hold on.
(3) how dare you?
(5) this is toolnavy.

I tried to condense it down to a series of grunts and pointing, but a couple of things got lost in the translation.
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
09-16-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
It's a long an interesting read, however, it's not at all in that order so...
Old 09-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #8
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
09-16-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
ya it doesn't really work unless you change the play order. But its an interesting concept. I mean Maynard Did say in a interview when they were talking about streaming service, go ahead mix em up. So why not and see what happens?
Old 09-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
ya it doesn't really work unless you change the play order. But its an interesting concept. I mean Maynard Did say in a interview when they were talking about streaming service, go ahead mix em up. So why not and see what happens?
09-16-2019, 06:54 PM

message of hope
Quote:
why not... see what happens?
and a warning ...
Quote:
Do so only at your own risk!!!
Old 09-16-2019, 06:54 PM   #10
Level 10 - Vehement

message of hope
Quote:
why not... see what happens?
and a warning ...
Quote:
Do so only at your own risk!!!
09-16-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
message of hope

and a warning ...
Huh?
Old 09-16-2019, 08:57 PM   #11
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
message of hope

and a warning ...
Huh?
09-17-2019, 03:56 AM

what? oh ...nnothing. just some throw-away tongue-in-cheek (cheeky, if you will) TOOL-lyric comparison between the band's "singular message" line (from rosetta stoned) and Sleeper0013's suggesting/condoning alternative track orders while also not suggesting/condoning alternative track orders (from original post). hope/warning. question/authority. circle/square. okay, i feel like, after having to over-explain something so obvious just now, that the "huh?" might've been sarcastic. i get accused of using too many words on this forum all the gd time, so it's probably just another bout of me doing that. and so, i apologize, for any, um, in con ve ni ence.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:56 AM   #12
Level 10 - Vehement

what? oh ...nnothing. just some throw-away tongue-in-cheek (cheeky, if you will) TOOL-lyric comparison between the band's "singular message" line (from rosetta stoned) and Sleeper0013's suggesting/condoning alternative track orders while also not suggesting/condoning alternative track orders (from original post). hope/warning. question/authority. circle/square. okay, i feel like, after having to over-explain something so obvious just now, that the "huh?" might've been sarcastic. i get accused of using too many words on this forum all the gd time, so it's probably just another bout of me doing that. and so, i apologize, for any, um, in con ve ni ence.
09-17-2019, 07:50 AM

I happened upon Carl Jung's Memoirs on the weekend and flipped to the chapter on Alchemy. The chapter was basically about Carl wanting to know more, to have a better understanding of it. And so anyways,

It seems that the process is like a deep unconscious dream that offers as many riddles as answers.

It lead me to this thought: Keep digging. Keep communicating. We are all one. In this great spiral of consciousness.

p.s Reading this post over, I think, Jesus!! How could I type such nonsense? Oh well, whatever. It came from my psyche and dream I had last night.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:50 AM   #13
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1841

I happened upon Carl Jung's Memoirs on the weekend and flipped to the chapter on Alchemy. The chapter was basically about Carl wanting to know more, to have a better understanding of it. And so anyways,

It seems that the process is like a deep unconscious dream that offers as many riddles as answers.

It lead me to this thought: Keep digging. Keep communicating. We are all one. In this great spiral of consciousness.

p.s Reading this post over, I think, Jesus!! How could I type such nonsense? Oh well, whatever. It came from my psyche and dream I had last night.
09-17-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Not really dude, I just wasn't sure what point you were trying to make initially, now I'm just more confused. lol
Old 09-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #14
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Not really dude, I just wasn't sure what point you were trying to make initially, now I'm just more confused. lol
09-17-2019, 06:06 PM

sometimes i get high, think i'm clever, remember i'm not, post quick reply anyway (when sober would not), and then the "hell'd i just do?" scramble is on (gd edit button timer). trying to express without having a clue how it'll be received; idk what that is, but i live it. we've also never been on the same wavelength, inner. all that said, i appreciate you calling me out on my bullshit daily and am glad you've returned.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:06 PM   #15
Level 10 - Vehement

sometimes i get high, think i'm clever, remember i'm not, post quick reply anyway (when sober would not), and then the "hell'd i just do?" scramble is on (gd edit button timer). trying to express without having a clue how it'll be received; idk what that is, but i live it. we've also never been on the same wavelength, inner. all that said, i appreciate you calling me out on my bullshit daily and am glad you've returned.
09-20-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
message of hope

and a warning ...
that was a joke, all of the people suggesting alternative play orders in the past, that thing tends to get old. so i'm not suggesting an alternative play order, but go ahead play them in that order.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:59 PM   #16
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
message of hope

and a warning ...
that was a joke, all of the people suggesting alternative play orders in the past, that thing tends to get old. so i'm not suggesting an alternative play order, but go ahead play them in that order.
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
09-21-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Wasn't a personal attack by any means bro, it's just that your writing can be extremely jumbled and hard to follow at times. It's my own weird OCD in itself to feel the need to correct things. I don't understand it myself. So no hard feelings hopefully.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:32 PM   #17
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Wasn't a personal attack by any means bro, it's just that your writing can be extremely jumbled and hard to follow at times. It's my own weird OCD in itself to feel the need to correct things. I don't understand it myself. So no hard feelings hopefully.
09-21-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
lol, right?! Play them in whatever order makes you happy.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:33 PM   #18
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
lol, right?! Play them in whatever order makes you happy.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply