opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 09. Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 02-07-2003, 03:01 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
meeting maynard

Last night, I met maynard. He had a bald head and stood about 6 inches shorter then I. We disscussed alot about life in general. I was also lucky enough to hear his explanation of lateralus. "His" being my subconcsious of course. So if you dont agree with me, its not me or my fault. It's "his".

He first explained all about the power of the mind and talked about meditation at all different levels. He expressed his experience with the unknown and connecting with the otherside. Which obviously is what the cd is about. To me at least.

To Spiral out is to ascend into the impossible.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind is maynard expressing that more thinking and analyzing will distiguish you as an individual(the mind) rather then a part of an organized society(the body).

I'm reaching up and reaching out,
I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.
And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.

Here maynard is saying
I'm understanding positive and impossible, I'm understanding instead of being subjective to anything that shall perplex me.
And understand our purpose and make your way through
We'll traverse (another word for lateral) the spiral to the final stage and might just go where no one's been.(not returning? i find this very interesting)
Ascend to the impossible. continue leaving...

ok now lateral means to cross or traverse, Leaving just us. Traversing through ourselves by ascending to the impossible is what lateralus the song and cd is about.

Does anyone agree with him(e)?
If so tell me about your experiences with meditation and lucidity.
Thank you for your time.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:31 PM   #2
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1129
i'm no expert on meditation however i have had some weird experiences while listening to tool

once during parabola right as that huge volume swell comes in i feel myself start to float up out of my bed, only i still feel like i am laying on something, but it doesn't feel like my bed that i am laying on

once during the salival version of pushit i felt my "soul" get drawn into the very back of my head, like..... say the soul has a default position in the body, well it left that position and went to the back of my head, resulting in an extremely weird feeling.... like i was being sucked inside my body, only that can't be since i am already inside my body

i don't know how to describe it
Old 02-11-2003, 09:59 PM   #3
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 8
Re: meeting maynard

Quote:
Originally posted by tanner
Last night, I met maynard. He had a bald head and stood about 6 inches shorter then I.
Is Maynard bald right now? In APC he had hair.......hmmm
Old 02-11-2003, 11:31 PM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: Re: meeting maynard

Quote:
Originally posted by ignore-reality
Is Maynard bald right now? In APC he had hair.......hmmm

you DO know that's a wig....don't you?
Old 02-12-2003, 07:12 PM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 8
Re: Re: Re: meeting maynard

i'm a whig....politicaly
Old 03-09-2003, 06:21 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: meeting maynard

That is utterly unbelievable. I have always been amazed by the power of that song and what I thought it meant, but that totally just put a whole new perspective on it, especially the part about seperating from society and distinguishing yourself as an individual. Wow, Maynard has a beautiful mind. I wish that I could think like that, and have the ability to write like that. And I totally agree with what that song has to say, because the human mind is just such a wonderful thing. Maynard recongnizes this and portrays it in a world that seems to do mindless, meaningless things all the time, especially in the facet of music. I think that Tool is the best thing to happen to the music industry in a long time. I love music and plan on doing it for the rest of my life and Tool's music has inspired me more than any other. And you met Maynard. How? I thought he never talked to the media or anybody for that matter. Well, great insight.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:33 PM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

i didnt physically meet maynard. i met him through lucidity my friend. Or in other words I met my perception of him in a controlled dream. Make sense?
Old 03-11-2003, 03:09 PM   #8
Banned

im actually maynard here to shit-talk you losers till you tinkle.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:39 PM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

tanner can eat my dirty lettuce

you punkass cumstain, don't say ' i met maynard ' and then get into your physical differences ( i.e. he stood 6 inches shorter than me ) unless you actually met him. 2nd, in the line ' overthinking, overanalyzing separates ... ' the use of 'over ' in overthinking and overanalyzing has a negative connotation. do you honestly think that maynard means that in order to distinguish yourself as an individual that you need to overthink and overanalyze ?? NO ! maynard is suggesting that overthinking, overanalyzing things takes away from your brain's ability to be intuitive. we should focus on the task at hand, b/c dwelling on things in the past is fruitless. in conclusion, you suck and so does your analysis.

-- Jarvis Jenkins, International Superstar
Old 03-13-2003, 06:01 AM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

i think its the other way around major lee.

:\
Old 03-13-2003, 08:16 AM   #11
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
Is everyone from Austin this harsh?
Old 03-13-2003, 08:17 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: tanner can eat my dirty lettuce

Quote:
Originally posted by Major Lee Hard
you punkass cumstain, don't say ' i met maynard ' and then get into your physical differences ( i.e. he stood 6 inches shorter than me ) unless you actually met him. 2nd, in the line ' overthinking, overanalyzing separates ... ' the use of 'over ' in overthinking and overanalyzing has a negative connotation. do you honestly think that maynard means that in order to distinguish yourself as an individual that you need to overthink and overanalyze ?? NO ! maynard is suggesting that overthinking, overanalyzing things takes away from your brain's ability to be intuitive. we should focus on the task at hand, b/c dwelling on things in the past is fruitless. in conclusion, you suck and so does your analysis.
This is an example of what too much cheap beer and nascar can do to one's intellect. Learn to swim.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:32 PM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

morons, all of you. i hate NASCAR. i live in austin, a progressive and high tech city. tanner, if you keep misinterpreting tool songs i will choke you.

Old 03-16-2003, 06:31 PM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

I hope you choke.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:15 PM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

I think I am falling in love with you.

P.S. ask me about my hiney.

Old 03-22-2003, 11:50 AM   #16
Jip
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
if you keep misinterpreting tool songs i will choke you.
i thought that the point is to interpret the songs however they work for you. Theres no wrong or right...
Old 03-25-2003, 06:29 AM   #17
Level 2 - Poster

Speaking of "fruitless"

Gee, this is a pointless waste of energy. And I am aware that I too am wasting energy on this arguement. But what the hell, you only live till you die, right? ummm... I think that General Lee had no actual evidence that you are a cumstain.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:30 AM   #18
Level 2 - Poster

Oh, my bad

Major Lee Hard. My mistake for not caring enough about your ignorance to get your name correct.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:21 PM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3
yeah

I actually agree with Major Lee on the whole negative connotation of the phrase "over", to me, this means that by "overthinking and overanalyzing" things, we miss out on things that happen in our lives, physically "Withering my intuition, leaving opportunites behind".

Last edited by Lachrymologist; 04-01-2003 at 06:58 PM..
Old 04-21-2003, 08:23 PM   #20
Banned.

tanner

I believe for the most part you are correct. But an added extra would be through the connection of the other songs as a whole. Rediscover communication and such. A arc of the covenant if you will. Being able to look into the other side and direect a message back across to one who came from that side.
I have these cold chills some times where I can feel a surge of a spiral leave the top of my head. Like I'm sending a signal. It's really odd cause it happens alot.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:08 AM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3
Reading this has made me wonder... so far I've interpretted the "overthinking over..." sentence as a positive statement of leaving the, let us say, materialistic world for a spiritual one and if in fact it is not positive, explain to me the purpose of meditation?

Obviously, to leave ones body behind all the time would be, if not stupid, then perhaps a tad drastic! And i don't asume that is the message of the song, nor do i think it is a warning against "overthinking and overanalyzing", but instead a request for people to do so, to broaden horizons and highten mental activity.

Yet I'm bewildered... Just as i thought i had it all sorted out!
Old 04-24-2003, 12:36 PM   #22
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 187
Quote:
morons, all of you. i hate NASCAR. i live in austin, a progressive and high tech city. tanner, if you keep misinterpreting tool songs i will choke you.
Don't tell someone they're misinterpreting something if you may be doing it yourself. Truth be told, no one except Maynard and maybe the rest of the band knows the true meaning of that song. We Tool fans can only speculate, which is what you're telling someone not to do.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:34 AM   #23
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801
Quote:
Originally posted by holy reality
i'm no expert on meditation however i have had some weird experiences while listening to tool

once during parabola right as that huge volume swell comes in i feel myself start to float up out of my bed, only i still feel like i am laying on something, but it doesn't feel like my bed that i am laying on

once during the salival version of pushit i felt my "soul" get drawn into the very back of my head, like..... say the soul has a default position in the body, well it left that position and went to the back of my head, resulting in an extremely weird feeling.... like i was being sucked inside my body, only that can't be since i am already inside my body

i don't know how to describe it
hey i do know what you feel

i couldn't sleep for days after i got salival because i swear to god i was being changed, like molting inside...i know it sounds like shit but seeriously...change was happeneing...sheding all the grudges...lateralus did this to me in Syracuse....when i saw them live.. you know when you get the intense feeling that you aren't you anymore.
Old 06-01-2003, 12:19 PM   #24
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally posted by hbynoe
you know when you get the intense feeling that you aren't you anymore.
FUCK YES......and the first few times I listened to Lateralus I felt this way, and ever since - I've known that there is no song on the planet that can ever match up to being anywhere near as gorgeous as Lateralus truely is. The mathmatics and meaning of the song blend in together in inconprehendable amounts......each instrument, each sound, each half second of the song amazes me every time I listen to it.

It has made me cry more than any other TOOL song......I love Lateralus.

myspace.com/skoi | waxdj.com/skoisirius

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: