opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 01. The Grudge
User Name
Password
Old 11-24-2002, 09:51 AM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
What did everyone the beginning noise was?

I thought the noise was an elevator or something, like maybe an old fashioned one.

I know that a lot of people must have had a lot of thoughts as to what it was the first time they hear it. I mean, it's the first noise you hear on the CD, I had no idea what to expect.

joe
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 03:51 PM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
To me, it sounds like a type of sound which would accompany the "frame" being put up in the first moments of the "Parabola" video.
What it has to do with anything else... no idea.

Patrick.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:50 AM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Its a sound they took from one of their favorite movies.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:21 AM   #4
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
haha, yeah one of their favorite movies, it's just the sound of the film projector starting up.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:54 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

to me it sounds like a cd spinning (this is not sarcastic)

I want to tell what the forests
were like

I will have to speak
in a forgotten language

- W. S. Merwin
Old 11-25-2002, 01:23 PM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

it's air con isn't it? the same sound starts fireball by deep purple.

i think the filmprojector thing makes sense though - considering how they compare lateralus to a big long movie.

i've not really thought about it
Old 11-26-2002, 01:49 PM   #7
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I thought it sounded like a rotating machine of sorts starting up. The whole first riff sounds like the rotating machine at full speed, so it made sense to me.

But then I got tabs for the song and I was all like, "oh." Still... sounds like a rotating machine.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:23 AM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

What I have always thought of that when I hear it, is a movie projector starting up. Who knows if that is right, its just the image I get in my head, and I guess thats as important as anything else.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:44 AM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: noise

are you referring to the drone in the begining of the show with the little synth sounds? i think that the drone is an enhanced sample of a sound that Bill Hicks made during one of his comedy skits called "shrooms"... he made the sound after talking about how wide open his third eye was after taking 5 dry grams... sort of the trip coming on.... it was funny... if anyone else knows the sound i am reffering to let me know....
Old 11-27-2002, 01:15 PM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

I thought it sounded like a futuristic door....makes since too, since it's like, opening the door to the album and stuff, with the song being the first and all......
Old 11-27-2002, 01:39 PM   #11
Banned.

Bincount™: 34
to me it sounded like a spaceship opening its pod door or something..
Old 11-27-2002, 02:01 PM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

To me it sounds like a a big machine starting up in a mad scientist laboritory.. i kind of picture a big dark room with machinery poking out of the corners, random sparks of electricity flying through the air... random smells, not quite human, not quite machine. but a combination of the two... this is the very first, primitive sound that starts up a machine that is complex and intricate (ie the album)
Old 11-27-2002, 03:58 PM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I always thought it was self made but it reminds me of something I heard in Star Wars one or two when I was little. I mean, Star Wars, um, 4 or 5.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:29 PM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

it's a saw.
Old 11-29-2002, 12:13 AM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by Kostia
I always thought it was self made but it reminds me of something I heard in Star Wars one or two when I was little. I mean, Star Wars, um, 4 or 5.
If you wanna compare it to media.....

It sounded like the doors in the Umbrella corp thing (Resident Evil 2) to me. Just that that sound was a quick "swoosh" instead of this "swoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo -" *song starts* thing.
Old 12-01-2002, 01:45 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

It could be the "lateralus starting up as a movie" because at the end of Fiaap De Oiap (distrubing song btw), theres a CLICK like a person is turning a TV or a machine off...
Old 12-01-2002, 01:48 PM   #17
Level 3 - Talker

i think

i go with the movie projector is just that TOOL does compare their music with movie scenes just like mike patton does with fantomas.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:20 AM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

it's funny, regardless of what people think the noise is, it's basically the commencement of something, whether a movie, or an elevator, or spinning CD, a beginning of a rotating machine, etc...

And at the end, it clicks off. And it's over.

God i love this band

Joe
Old 12-02-2002, 05:49 PM   #19
Level 2 - Poster

Its me

It was actually me farting....

Actually I have no clue, but it is an awesome way to begin the cd.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:30 PM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

its totally not a movie projector, the best gues so far was saw like a saw that cuts logs at a logging station. the big one.

or maybe im just stupid

Ghost
Old 12-03-2002, 10:39 AM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

I agree it sounds like an automatic door opening. Very spaceship like.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:02 PM   #22
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 79
i have to go with the film projector. i thought lateralus was an album more or less to help open up your mind and to take what they gave you as any way you choose. and the "film" of the CD is just the pictures that come to your mind as you listened to the track.

i'll go AGAINST what they say at the end of this here page, just for one post...

me too!

this is CLEARLY the projector... DUH!

it's just my opinion

*snickers*

wow i need a life...
You never meant a word. Not a fucking word of it. I am so sick of goodbyes. So sick of committing suicide. I am so sick of the in between, now and then. So sick of swinging the hammer. So sick of my suicide, of burying every hero that I had.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:57 PM   #23
Banned.

Bincount™: 55
My reaction

I honestly don't beleive this is right anymore, but since noone has said this one yet....I thought it was a Vaccum cleaner. I was pretty convinced until I really listened to it and then saw people discussing what it was.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd throw that in there.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:07 AM   #24
Banned.

Due to the use of sonic imagery used I have to stick with the film projector. They communicate images as well as ideas, and the film projector just makes sense. That's the first thing I thought of when I first put it in, so that's what works for me. I imagine a screen in my brain that the music projects itself on. And I watch.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:01 PM   #25
Level 3 - Talker

Good one Paraflux. To me though, Dictator has it. The whole album has a continuity to it and that would make sense. For some reason, I have a feelng Danny is switching it on. At the verrrry start, it sounds like he inadvertently drops some sticks and starts it. I think it sounds like a rotating machine too; the image of the eyes on the cd come to my head. I reckon it sounds like a washing machine though.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:14 PM   #26
Level 3 - Talker

my thoughts were that it was something futuristic, something like a spacecraft...i dunno i have a weird train of thought sometimes
Old 12-05-2002, 02:45 PM   #27
ATG
Level 4 - Thinker

I always thought it was the sound of a reel-to-reel recorder. makes sense...sounds like David Bottril is "rolling tape" before Danny starts his track.
Old 12-05-2002, 04:49 PM   #28
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

The first time I heard it, I just assumed it was an old film projector. Re-listening to it right now, I still think this is the most likely explanation, but I do like the idea of a futuristic door opening up.

More evidence for the projector theory would be the fact that the album turns off like a machine at the end.
Old 12-06-2002, 12:01 AM   #29
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 136
I think this discussion has gone on way too long... To me its definately the sound of the band laughing at all of you for waisting your time discussing what the sound could be. This is by far the most overthought, overanylized 9 seconds of TOOL put into a thread in this entire forum. Its a fact that none of you will EVER KNOW what the band used to make that sound. I think you all should focus more on WHY they put it there, and how it gives you an ardent feeling just by knowing that you are a few short seconds from once again experience one of the most beutifull 78 min. of art for the ears and mind in the history of mankind.

So PLEASE, if your going to waist your time posting on this site (like me and many others), discuss something interesting, something worth discussing!

Thank You.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:49 AM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

It´s just a noise that begins the greatest record of the XXI Century...

I think Lateralus is next to Dark Side Of The Moon and The White Album. A beautiful piece of art.
Old 12-06-2002, 09:11 PM   #31
Banned.

Bincount™: 25
Okay every little goddam sound doesn't have to have a meaning.. did you hear that little beep.. oh oh!! It HAS to mean something.. because it's Tool

jeez

Hehe it's just a film projector thingy, that's what I thought but I don't think it has a MEANING, it just goes good with the starting of The Grudge
Old 12-07-2002, 12:47 PM   #32
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by JuanPRS
It´s just a noise that begins the greatest record of the XXI Century...

I think Lateralus is next to Dark Side Of The Moon and The White Album. A beautiful piece of art.
I completely agree. I think Lateralus is better than Dark Side of the Moon and the White Album, and Pink Floyd's one of my favorite bands.

BTW: Every little sound does mean something, because it's tool. And if you don't want people to analyze tool's songs, then don't go to the section of the site meant for analyzing tools songs. Jesus Christ, people are dumb.
Old 12-07-2002, 01:10 PM   #33
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by Penguin
Okay every little goddam sound doesn't have to have a meaning.. did you hear that little beep.. oh oh!! It HAS to mean something.. because it's Tool
i was just really curious to see what people thought the noise was. i dont really care what it means (although i did type something up), but whatever man. I can analyze tool as much as i want, and trust me, it's not that much. After you know too much, sometimes you aren't better off than before.

joe
Old 12-08-2002, 03:34 PM   #34
Banned.

Bincount™: 25
I didn't mean to sound beligerant(am I a stupid beligerant fucker?).. but it is just some noise that starts out.. just because it's Tool.. well you get the point.. and if you don't, then oh well hehe.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:41 PM   #35
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Heh, i came off a little defensive, but yeah, i have to admit, i MIGHT have crossed the line with that question, but it was a pretty innocent quesiton, i mean, it's like a short noise, i was stoned... and well that = 'wtf is that noise anyway?'

joe - i mean, any other band, i probably wouldn't give a fuck
Old 12-09-2002, 12:26 PM   #36
Banned.

No, don't apologize. The noise in the begining has its place on the album or it wouldnt be there. If universes could possibly exist inside an amulet around a cat's neck, you don't think this sound or any other could have any significance? Why would anything else on the album then? I think the band is laughing at the people who are laughing at the people who are discussing this little noise. So fuck it, this board is for all people, not just those who want to discuss what they consider to be the meat of the project. For a band that teaches about synchronicity, and how to alter your reality to make it look like one coincidence after another, I would not expect any inadvertant sounds coming from the cd player. Even if the sound is just to fuck with us, it's still done for a reason.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:06 PM   #37
Level 4 - Thinker

hmm

it sounds like a fan to me. A large one. I dont know what the significance would be though. Maybe it just sounds cool.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:59 AM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

To me the band will be laughing at you but what do I care, its your opinion and to be honest I don’t care what the band is laughing at. The only thing that matters to me about tool is about their music. This is an opinion forum so stop trying to think what the band is thinking. Read what mjk said on the front of the page. We are all way off but that really doesn’t matter, what matter is what with think and every idea I’ve heard all makes sense. What makes sense to me is that this sound is some type of spaceship opening up or some spaceship gun opening up cause the last song the guy is talking about aliens and then he like gets sucked up or beamed up. Hey that’s my opinion.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:38 AM   #39
Level 2 - Poster

Re: Re: noise

Quote:
Originally posted by marc
are you referring to the drone in the begining of the show with the little synth sounds? i think that the drone is an enhanced sample of a sound that Bill Hicks made during one of his comedy skits called "shrooms"... he made the sound after talking about how wide open his third eye was after taking 5 dry grams... sort of the trip coming on....
What? You mean the 'psweaaaaaah'? or the 'rrr-rrr-rrr-rrr-rrr-rrr'?

What a great sig that'd be - 'Squeegee your third eye!'

Joesph Campbell; 'The Hero With a Thousand Faces'
Old 12-11-2002, 02:40 PM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: Re: Re: noise

Whatever the noise is (and I happen to like to film projector idea) it occurs again near the beginning of the 3 minute interlude in Ticks and Leeches. Any thoughts on that?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: