Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
resonance.'s Avatar resonance.
05-04-2006, 08:50 PM

Does anyone else notice all the white noise on this record? I'm listening to it with good headphones through a 96khz audio interface... I couldn't hear this stuff through the stereo, but there seems to be this rediculous, unnesessary amount of white noise throughout the album. And there are also a lot of little clicks and distortions that seem to be coming from the drums.

A few examples

Right in Two: about 13 seconds in, white noise just fades in and out

Jambi: 6:37 What the fuck is that? This is coming right from the cd and it sounds like an mp3.

Rosetta Stoned: about 6:54.... not so much white noise but weird glitchy/clicky distortions. You can hear it well during the drum roll right after that.

When Vicarious kicks in you can hear clicky distortions that seem to be coming from the drums.... but then it goes away as soon as the words start.

Anyone else hear this? And don't just be like "DUZ RETARD I HAVENT NOTICEDED OMG loL!!!" Get some good headphones and you'll be able to hear it.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
amateur alchemist

Bincount™: 3472
Production problems/distortion/white noise

Does anyone else notice all the white noise on this record? I'm listening to it with good headphones through a 96khz audio interface... I couldn't hear this stuff through the stereo, but there seems to be this rediculous, unnesessary amount of white noise throughout the album. And there are also a lot of little clicks and distortions that seem to be coming from the drums.

A few examples

Right in Two: about 13 seconds in, white noise just fades in and out

Jambi: 6:37 What the fuck is that? This is coming right from the cd and it sounds like an mp3.

Rosetta Stoned: about 6:54.... not so much white noise but weird glitchy/clicky distortions. You can hear it well during the drum roll right after that.

When Vicarious kicks in you can hear clicky distortions that seem to be coming from the drums.... but then it goes away as soon as the words start.

Anyone else hear this? And don't just be like "DUZ RETARD I HAVENT NOTICEDED OMG loL!!!" Get some good headphones and you'll be able to hear it.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Ocelot199's Avatar Ocelot199
05-04-2006, 08:53 PM

The distortion on the bass/drums seems a little out of place here and there too.

Whatever. Maybe they did it on purpose. Or something.

Edit: Yeah you said that. Maybe I should have read your post.

heh.

I noticed it too, anyway. Dunno...
Old 05-04-2006, 08:53 PM   #2
On Probation

Bincount™: 8929
Re: White noise. Distortion.

The distortion on the bass/drums seems a little out of place here and there too.

Whatever. Maybe they did it on purpose. Or something.

Edit: Yeah you said that. Maybe I should have read your post.

heh.

I noticed it too, anyway. Dunno...
bitter_enigma's Avatar bitter_enigma
05-04-2006, 09:03 PM

Actually there are quite a few weird noises in Jambi.
I posted about it:
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=44827
Old 05-04-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 23

I posted about it:
Blue10
05-04-2006, 09:23 PM

I know exactly what your talking about. I hear it too.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:23 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I know exactly what your talking about. I hear it too.
TGothe
05-04-2006, 09:53 PM

I can hear it, but only if I'm trying to listen for it (and I'm listening to Sennheiser HD650's through a X-Canv3, so it's not for lack of decent equipment). My guess is that it's so clear to you because you're upsampling the audio stream to 96khz instead of listening at the regular 44.1khz. Did you try listening at 44.1khz to see if it was as obvious?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:53 PM   #5
Level 2 - Poster

I can hear it, but only if I'm trying to listen for it (and I'm listening to Sennheiser HD650's through a X-Canv3, so it's not for lack of decent equipment). My guess is that it's so clear to you because you're upsampling the audio stream to 96khz instead of listening at the regular 44.1khz. Did you try listening at 44.1khz to see if it was as obvious?
omnitronic's Avatar omnitronic
05-04-2006, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitter_enigma
I posted about it:
I think those are distorted vocal sounds. But what is up with Wings II? Is anyone getting the volume fading in and out?
Old 05-04-2006, 10:18 PM   #6
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitter_enigma
I posted about it:
I think those are distorted vocal sounds. But what is up with Wings II? Is anyone getting the volume fading in and out?
05-04-2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnitronic
If you listen to the song on a good system with a decent sub, you will understand what that whole fading in and out deal is all about.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:40 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnitronic
If you listen to the song on a good system with a decent sub, you will understand what that whole fading in and out deal is all about.
05-04-2006, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGothe

Yes. Sounds exactly the same. I thought thats what it was at first.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:05 PM   #8
amateur alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGothe

Yes. Sounds exactly the same. I thought thats what it was at first.
ktrip
05-05-2006, 01:03 AM

i believe the "white noise" and the random distortion are caused by what makes this album so kicknuts. on the most parts, they are playing really really really quietly, and just boosting the gain epicly.

in boosting the signal, the noise is boosted too. in boosting the signal, the clipping point is breached in certain places.

but thats how they got the sound for this album, and the sound is amazing [even if you dont love songs] go joe baressi!
Old 05-05-2006, 01:03 AM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

i believe the "white noise" and the random distortion are caused by what makes this album so kicknuts. on the most parts, they are playing really really really quietly, and just boosting the gain epicly.

in boosting the signal, the noise is boosted too. in boosting the signal, the clipping point is breached in certain places.

but thats how they got the sound for this album, and the sound is amazing [even if you dont love songs] go joe baressi!
tuzi
05-05-2006, 01:20 AM

Quote:
You mean, they don't know how to do a proper job of choosing microphones and gain structures to avoid getting noise?

Sorry, that's a load of arse. You can get pristine, clean recordings off a pizzicato violin - even in a live context. There's no need for floor noise off of fucking guitar and bass cabinets, drums and an incredibly powerful vocalist.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:20 AM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
You mean, they don't know how to do a proper job of choosing microphones and gain structures to avoid getting noise?

Sorry, that's a load of arse. You can get pristine, clean recordings off a pizzicato violin - even in a live context. There's no need for floor noise off of fucking guitar and bass cabinets, drums and an incredibly powerful vocalist.
Window Licker
05-05-2006, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzi
The hired the next door neighbor. He's new.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:26 AM   #11
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
The hired the next door neighbor. He's new.
Juanjay
05-05-2006, 04:10 AM

Quote:

Not to speak for the person you quoted but I think he/she was getting at that Joe set the sound up like that on purpose for the record, to get the noise.

I'm going to listen to some other stuff that he's mixed / recorded to see if thats what he normally does or whatnot. I did notice a few phantom noises on the last QOTSA album, so it could be him.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:10 AM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

Not to speak for the person you quoted but I think he/she was getting at that Joe set the sound up like that on purpose for the record, to get the noise.

I'm going to listen to some other stuff that he's mixed / recorded to see if thats what he normally does or whatnot. I did notice a few phantom noises on the last QOTSA album, so it could be him.
Rotating_Energy_Field's Avatar Rotating_Energy_Field
05-05-2006, 04:44 AM

It could be down to faulty equipment, whenever I mix my music I always seem to notice minor interferences in the audio when I play it back on a high quality sound system, this is because I mix all of my stuff on my semi-decent PC rather than in a good studio.

If they mixed it in a studio where the equipment is either a) old or b) crap then that might be the cause of the white noise. They might not have noticed the interferences while they were working on it. Personally I don't think that this was intentional, it doesn't sound like they used it in a creative way, just sounds accidental to me.
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning the ET revealed to me his singular purpose; he said you are the chosen one, the one who will deliver the message, a message of hope for those who will listen and a warning for those who do not. Me, the chosen one! They chose me and I didn't even graduate from fuckin' high school!
Old 05-05-2006, 04:44 AM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

It could be down to faulty equipment, whenever I mix my music I always seem to notice minor interferences in the audio when I play it back on a high quality sound system, this is because I mix all of my stuff on my semi-decent PC rather than in a good studio.

If they mixed it in a studio where the equipment is either a) old or b) crap then that might be the cause of the white noise. They might not have noticed the interferences while they were working on it. Personally I don't think that this was intentional, it doesn't sound like they used it in a creative way, just sounds accidental to me.
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning the ET revealed to me his singular purpose; he said you are the chosen one, the one who will deliver the message, a message of hope for those who will listen and a warning for those who do not. Me, the chosen one! They chose me and I didn't even graduate from fuckin' high school!
Haidar's Avatar Haidar
05-05-2006, 04:46 AM

I haven't noticed it yet, i'll have a good listen later.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:46 AM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

I haven't noticed it yet, i'll have a good listen later.
05-05-2006, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotating_Energy_Field

Are they not using the same studio as they did on the previous albums? I mean... it's not like they can't afford decent equipment. Fuck, _MY_ recordings sound better than this.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:49 AM   #15
amateur alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotating_Energy_Field

Are they not using the same studio as they did on the previous albums? I mean... it's not like they can't afford decent equipment. Fuck, _MY_ recordings sound better than this.
josh's Avatar josh
05-05-2006, 08:52 AM

who cares?
Old 05-05-2006, 08:52 AM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

who cares?
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-05-2006, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh
who cares?

Some people listen with different ears.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:06 AM   #17
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh
who cares?

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Satival Tributary's Avatar Satival Tributary
05-05-2006, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon
They should try my set. They seem to be less querulous.
Stillness breathes apex supreme - I walk toward the mountain.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:18 AM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon
They should try my set. They seem to be less querulous.
Stillness breathes apex supreme - I walk toward the mountain.
dracomordag's Avatar dracomordag
05-05-2006, 10:08 AM

i'll listen for this next time
Old 05-05-2006, 10:08 AM   #19
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Location: UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE IMO
Bincount™: 8627

05-05-2006, 10:10 AM

Ever see the movie Contact when they first listen to the signal and figure there is a video stream imbedded as well?

OMG TOOL ARE FUCKING ALIENS!!!

Calls I.N.S.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:10 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

Ever see the movie Contact when they first listen to the signal and figure there is a video stream imbedded as well?

OMG TOOL ARE FUCKING ALIENS!!!

Calls I.N.S.
05-05-2006, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracomordag
I tried
Old 05-05-2006, 10:14 AM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracomordag
I tried
slamminsalmon's Avatar slamminsalmon
05-05-2006, 10:23 AM

i noticed a lot of static like distortion through 10,000 days, i thought it was my sound system but i tried a different one and heard it. i dont like it
Old 05-05-2006, 10:23 AM   #22
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

i noticed a lot of static like distortion through 10,000 days, i thought it was my sound system but i tried a different one and heard it. i dont like it
05-05-2006, 12:54 PM

Yeah, I'm sure they didn't notice. Just like they didn't notice how the new logo looks like "FOOL"
Old 05-05-2006, 12:54 PM   #23
amateur alchemist

Yeah, I'm sure they didn't notice. Just like they didn't notice how the new logo looks like "FOOL"
Sol Invictus's Avatar Sol Invictus
05-05-2006, 01:37 PM

original.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:37 PM   #24
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 66

original.
05-05-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamminsalmon
I hear the static in my car, especially in Vicarious. I don't recall hearing it at home but I'll try it again. I wonder if it has to do with the HDCD encoding? I don't have an HDCD player so maybe the 16-bits that I get aren't quite enough.

Has anyone heard the CD through an HDCD player?
Old 05-05-2006, 01:41 PM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamminsalmon
I hear the static in my car, especially in Vicarious. I don't recall hearing it at home but I'll try it again. I wonder if it has to do with the HDCD encoding? I don't have an HDCD player so maybe the 16-bits that I get aren't quite enough.

Has anyone heard the CD through an HDCD player?
tuzi
05-05-2006, 01:47 PM

Quote:
No. Anybody in the pro-audio field who deliberately set up wrong gain structures to bring up floor noise on a high-budget album like this one would never work again.

Seriously. The reason you pay for expensive microphones, cables, $100,000 custom-built ultra-shielded PCs with gold conductors everywhere and big-money recording, mix and master engineers is to avoid exactly that issue. If you don't care about floor noise you can nip down to the best sounding room you can find in your area with a $1000 PC and an M-Audio Delta 1010LT and run a few decent microphones through a half-decent pre-amp.

If this was done on purpose then Tool are basically the victim of fraud in the cost of the studio they used.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:47 PM   #26
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
No. Anybody in the pro-audio field who deliberately set up wrong gain structures to bring up floor noise on a high-budget album like this one would never work again.

Seriously. The reason you pay for expensive microphones, cables, $100,000 custom-built ultra-shielded PCs with gold conductors everywhere and big-money recording, mix and master engineers is to avoid exactly that issue. If you don't care about floor noise you can nip down to the best sounding room you can find in your area with a $1000 PC and an M-Audio Delta 1010LT and run a few decent microphones through a half-decent pre-amp.

If this was done on purpose then Tool are basically the victim of fraud in the cost of the studio they used.
05-05-2006, 03:18 PM

You really think they didn't notice?
Old 05-05-2006, 03:18 PM   #27
amateur alchemist

You really think they didn't notice?
waXresilienT's Avatar waXresilienT
05-05-2006, 03:23 PM

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but there is the theory out there that they recorded this album in 5.1 as well. Maybe they mixed it down for the release and there were a few resulting sounds....
Old 05-05-2006, 03:23 PM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but there is the theory out there that they recorded this album in 5.1 as well. Maybe they mixed it down for the release and there were a few resulting sounds....
05-05-2006, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waXresilienT
Well I'm glad they sacrificed the sound quality for the .001% of people that have a proper 5.1 setup.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:28 PM   #29
amateur alchemist

Quote:
Well I'm glad they sacrificed the sound quality for the .001% of people that have a proper 5.1 setup.
waXresilienT's Avatar waXresilienT
05-05-2006, 03:32 PM

not saying they did...but ya never know....anyway..it would be worth buying for this...have you heard "With Teeth" in 5.1?
Old 05-05-2006, 03:32 PM   #30
Level 7 - Loquacious

not saying they did...but ya never know....anyway..it would be worth buying for this...have you heard "With Teeth" in 5.1?
05-05-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:
NO! I'm really excited about that though, Downward Spiral was released in 5.1 as well, but I don't know anyone with a 5.1 setup.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #31
amateur alchemist

Quote:
NO! I'm really excited about that though, Downward Spiral was released in 5.1 as well, but I don't know anyone with a 5.1 setup.
KJM
05-05-2006, 04:08 PM

Shit I just made a thread about this. My bad.

yea it's all over the place. I think it's the guitar that caused it. it's absolutely ridiculous though. it's all over the place and I can't listen to the album through headphones because of it.

AWESOME JOB GUYS =)

btw, there's no way this is purposefully. the whole end of vicarious sounds like trash. I'm listening (headphones) with sennheiser 280 pros. Awful.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:08 PM   #32
KJM
MJK impostor, 2002

Bincount™: 48

Shit I just made a thread about this. My bad.

yea it's all over the place. I think it's the guitar that caused it. it's absolutely ridiculous though. it's all over the place and I can't listen to the album through headphones because of it.

AWESOME JOB GUYS =)

btw, there's no way this is purposefully. the whole end of vicarious sounds like trash. I'm listening (headphones) with sennheiser 280 pros. Awful.
05-05-2006, 04:39 PM

Heh, this thread is one post away from "OMFG IF U DONT LIK TEH ALBUM JUST SHUT UP ABOU TIT OMG!!!!"

Seriously though. Why does this record sound so shitty? We're not talking about opinions of the songwriting here, we're talking about crap production. Clipping, gratuitous white noise, shit fading in and out for no reason...

Last edited by resonance.; 05-05-2006 at 05:00 PM..
Old 05-05-2006, 04:39 PM   #33
amateur alchemist

Heh, this thread is one post away from "OMFG IF U DONT LIK TEH ALBUM JUST SHUT UP ABOU TIT OMG!!!!"

Seriously though. Why does this record sound so shitty? We're not talking about opinions of the songwriting here, we're talking about crap production. Clipping, gratuitous white noise, shit fading in and out for no reason...

Last edited by resonance.; 05-05-2006 at 05:00 PM..
mike09's Avatar mike09
05-05-2006, 09:15 PM

Interesting. I can't really hear what you are talking about, but I'll listen later on my headphones. There are some things that I don't like about the album concerning the mixing (I guess that's the proper word?) and distortion. For example, 6:56 into "Jambi", what the hell is that clutter of noise I hear? It's like a really bad distortion.

Last edited by mike09; 05-05-2006 at 09:19 PM..
Old 05-05-2006, 09:15 PM   #34
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

Interesting. I can't really hear what you are talking about, but I'll listen later on my headphones. There are some things that I don't like about the album concerning the mixing (I guess that's the proper word?) and distortion. For example, 6:56 into "Jambi", what the hell is that clutter of noise I hear? It's like a really bad distortion.

Last edited by mike09; 05-05-2006 at 09:19 PM..
mike09's Avatar mike09
05-05-2006, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
At 6:57 the GONG! Maybe you blown your speakers?
While there may be a gong in there, that's not what I'm talking about. It just sounds like a complete clutter of sound. I hear it on my computer, I heard it in my friend's car and I think I hear it in my headphones (I'll check later to make sure). I don't know what it is. It just bothers me.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:43 PM   #35
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
At 6:57 the GONG! Maybe you blown your speakers?
While there may be a gong in there, that's not what I'm talking about. It just sounds like a complete clutter of sound. I hear it on my computer, I heard it in my friend's car and I think I hear it in my headphones (I'll check later to make sure). I don't know what it is. It just bothers me.
05-05-2006, 10:03 PM

Jambi at 6:57... static... slop.... quiet drums. I've noticed at a lot of the parts of this album that are supposed to be the 'climax' have the drums turned way the fuck down. Hmmm. The Pot at 5:59 sounds like they _tried_ to make it sound weak.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #36
amateur alchemist

Jambi at 6:57... static... slop.... quiet drums. I've noticed at a lot of the parts of this album that are supposed to be the 'climax' have the drums turned way the fuck down. Hmmm. The Pot at 5:59 sounds like they _tried_ to make it sound weak.
delysid
05-06-2006, 03:13 AM

That same weird sound is in the live version too....I don't know what the hell that is.

Have any of you ever listened to Joe Baressi's other efforts?

The Melvins, QOTSA, and Kyuss have noise and weird sounding shit all over their albums. Same exact shit we're complaining about right now, but I honestly don't think even the most hardcore fan of any of those bands would care about that shit at all.

I will admit though, a few Melvins albums done by Joe have been mixed way way better than this album. Louder, clearer, and cleaner.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:13 AM   #37
Level 7 - Loquacious

That same weird sound is in the live version too....I don't know what the hell that is.

Have any of you ever listened to Joe Baressi's other efforts?

The Melvins, QOTSA, and Kyuss have noise and weird sounding shit all over their albums. Same exact shit we're complaining about right now, but I honestly don't think even the most hardcore fan of any of those bands would care about that shit at all.

I will admit though, a few Melvins albums done by Joe have been mixed way way better than this album. Louder, clearer, and cleaner.
05-06-2006, 03:18 AM

Also, the Melvins have spent 95% of their career working with much lower recording budgets than Tool have available to them these days.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:18 AM   #38
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Also, the Melvins have spent 95% of their career working with much lower recording budgets than Tool have available to them these days.
PmF
05-06-2006, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrip
Yeah? Go listen to The Patient again. Really really quiet intro, and then in second minute it explodes so fucking loud and hard it just fucks with your head. And no "white noise". Baressi sucks.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:26 AM   #39
PmF
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrip
Yeah? Go listen to The Patient again. Really really quiet intro, and then in second minute it explodes so fucking loud and hard it just fucks with your head. And no "white noise". Baressi sucks.
unfnknblvbl's Avatar unfnknblvbl
05-06-2006, 03:49 AM

OK people, I had a similar issue - probably the same one - and here's how I solved it.

I turned the overall gain down in Winamp's Equaliser. It was at 0dB, now it's at -2dB, and no more clipping sounds!
Give it a go...
Old 05-06-2006, 03:49 AM   #40
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

OK people, I had a similar issue - probably the same one - and here's how I solved it.

I turned the overall gain down in Winamp's Equaliser. It was at 0dB, now it's at -2dB, and no more clipping sounds!
Give it a go...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply