opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-02-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/05/31 - Luxembourg City, LUX - Rockhal

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right In Two
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/31 - Luxembourg City, LUX - Rockhal

Setlist:

Stinkfist
The Pot
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism
Right In Two
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

I am so glad we got one more song than the previous few shows. The sound wasn't great at all times, it was partly way too loud, especially the bass drowning the vocals, but there were also perfect moments like Sober and Lateralus. Right In Two was also lovely live and I thought the new stuff went good with the old faves. Maynard was in a great mood, never seen him like that live before. The whole band had a good time, from what I saw. And so did the crowd. Thank you, Tool.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2006, 06:22 PM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

once again, justin was dead on, a little loud at times, but amazing most under rated bassman of today, adam was great, as always danny blew my ears off, maynard was in a good mood, and a really rocking show. prehaps the best so far, set list was great, would give anything to hear swamp song......that would be AWSOME B.T.W. POP THANKS FOR BRINGING ME TO ALL THE SHOWS THUS FAR, MY DAD ROCKS TOO

Last edited by ROCKMOUSE; 05-31-2006 at 06:26 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
UUU
Level 1 - Lurker

indeed, nice show.
best songs were stinkfist, sober, lateralis, right in two and ænema. schism sucked. all in all the older material was impressive, really tight playing. and to be honest, i think the new songs are just not as good. but it was good to see them again. maynard was in good shape (nice mohawk!), doing his weird steps, justin and danny are just fucking unbelievable. the venue was in a beautiful location, nice old ruined factories and so all around the place, it was raining, really cool setting. the venue itself was terrible. no atmosphere at all, just concrete. the sound was not so bad, i've had 'm worse, period.

o, and great visuals with vicarious! :P
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Good show, but I must say I am a little bit dissapointed with the setlist this tour. Not only are the shows a lot shorter than during the Lateralus tour (90 min vs 120+ min), I'm sorry to see that they're not putting much variation in the set.

The absolute highlights of the show were 'Right in Two' (man, what a song!), 'Sober' (still one of my alltime Tool favorites), 'Vicarious' and 'Aenema'.

Most dissapointing : The Pot (not as tight as on CD), Schism (Maynard had to stop singing during the second verse - had to clear his throat and drink some water - but hey, he's only human ofcourse) and Rosetta Stoned (sorry, but I just can't get into this one).

On the Lateralus tour, they managed to suck me in from the very first note, and grabbed me by the throat until the last second of the concert. This time, there were a lot of highlights, and it was a great show ... but I didn't get into this natural trip that I experienced last time.

It was definately a great show, and worth it's money for sure ... but I'm afraid this one doesn't make it to my top 10 ...

Next month Paris ...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2006, 08:42 PM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

Excellent show. But the setlist was too short :(
Right in two and Sober were the best moments of the gig.
As the others already stated, Maynard was in a good mood.

Note that they played the Wings Series on the afternoon (one could hear it form the inside). So maybe they are going to play these on some of the upcoming shows.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2006, 09:43 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

no one complains about YOU... until now!

man, people love to piss and moan huh? The venue was bad-ass! Took almost no time to get in AND get out and beer was only 2 euro. Fucking 2 euro! I would have driven for an hour just for that! But it got better, because motherfucking TOOL was there too! Guess what else? They owned, pure and simple. Who cares if a tom was a little bass heavy for a split second in part of a song. Who cares if Maynard didn't feel like singing every word you were secretly whispering at him. HE fucking screamed at us for 20 minutes, let the man have some water. He's only human, yeah well he should've done you one better and took a dump on your face. But it's okay, you're only human. Who cares if Justin, we're on a first name basis, fucked up a bit. If you do, then you're a *** who speant the whole time taking notes not enjoying yourself and would've been better off giving your ticket to someone who would actually appreciate seeing one of, if not the, most intense band to ever shake the billboard charts by the throat. Did you hear those songs? Um, they aint easy. IF you could do better, then I guess I'll just send your ass my 40 euro next time. It's a fuckng miracle Mr Carey's freaking arms don't fall off and Maynard's head doesn't explode.
Reading up on the setlists in the past, all I wanted to hear was Rosetta Stoned and Right in Two. Heard both, 'cause apparently they dug the scenery too. Old factories and shit. Cool, but reminded me of Hostel and how evil everyone is that's different from me. Maynard looking like a god damn Police academy dropout on crack during Stoned was impressive. Striking the Evangelical Revivalist pose in front of screens of fire as if he thought we all just might meet him on the mother ship, and running around like someone who knew we wouldn't. Nice to see the guy come out of the shadows. Justin, or J-Dogg as he likes to be called, was into it from what I could tell. Stomping around, molesting the bass like a pro, and DID I SEE A SMILE? Cute. Um, Danny... whaddya want, that guy could fall down stairs in rhythm. Adam, well he aint exactly the personality of the group, but he can riff like none other. this was my fourth show and it was just as good as all the others. They rocked for damn near two hours (look at your watch... started a little after nine, ended right before 11), we got an extra song apparently, who knows. The Pot was better than I thought. It was damn well tight enough too. I thought they were gonna start bleeding. I guess I didn't really feel Schism, but that's hardly a complaint. It just seemed a little out of place with everything else they were playing.
Here's a complaint for ya though... my last one... if you can put this show in a "top ten" of tool shows... and you didn't... you're a pretentious ***got fan boy piece of shit. I hate you, you're mother's a whore, and when you go to hell I hope The Spice Girls are there to ram it up your ass... that should make your top ten.

These guys are a band's band. Like a a man's man, but not as gay sounding. If they prove it, and you know it, do it justice.

Last edited by bender151; 05-31-2006 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: grammar
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2006, 10:13 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

oh, one thing cool about the crowd, pictures. It was easier to get a camera in than it is to sneak across the border from Mexico, but I didn't notice cameras flashing all night. A bunch when they first came out, myself included, and then everyone just seemed to enjoy the show. Congrats Luxembourgians!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2006, 10:54 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

Show was fucking great! It was the 7th time I saw them live (first in 1994). After a 4 hour drive we arrived at this great location (some old industrial place); next time they should play outside!

Sound was overwhelming good, at times too loud. The vibration at the start of the show was thrilling. I was verry glad they changed the setlist a bit and that they added 1 more song. Thanks!

Strange that there was no support (although the ticket tells that Isis would be the support).They started at 21:00 and ended at 22:45 (5 minute break before Vicarious).

In comparison with previous tours, it sounded and showed more professional. Justin and Danny are Gods. The pope should declare them sacred (or Satan, whatever). The combination of bass and drum is so fucking cool, it hypnotized me. Especially on Right in Two and at the end of Rosetta Stoned.

Minor things: Maynard missed some of the lyrics at Schism; Video show was not so special as in previous tours; Maynard didn't crawl on his stage and I didn't like the merchandising (just as the Lateralus tour).

But anyway, overall conclusion: TOOL is the best and the show was very great.

PS: next time please play Wings pt 1 and 2. The new cd is really great. Thanks for making this music.

Last edited by Thirdeye.nl; 06-01-2006 at 06:51 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2006, 11:22 PM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUU
the venue itself was terrible. no atmosphere at all, just concrete. :P
What about when the band was playing, did u like the atmosphere then?

Anyway, great show, some minor slips as already mentioned in other posts, did not detract from the show, just a bit painful to watch, I guess...

Nobody mentioned the fact yet that they played the extended Stinkfist and Schism bridges, but I guess they do that every show. I'd never heard them so that was great!

Loved it. See ya Sunday.

Peace. Out.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2006, 01:48 AM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

great show
I never heard schism live before, and it was kick ass
(even though maynard lost his vocals on the second verse)

my higlights were:
schism
lateralus
aenema

The only negative thing was the security, these macho's wouldn't let anyone take a picture. So i'm not able to post a picture/video...

Last edited by geert; 06-01-2006 at 02:07 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2006, 03:49 AM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Best concert ever.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2006, 04:03 AM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show
For those who missed this gig, pics under these links
http://gallery.rockhal.lu/tool?page=1
http://www.eldoradio.lu/events/event...ategory_id=923

The crowed were better at the first venue to Luxembourg, Ettelbrück
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2006, 04:31 AM   #14
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tape
The crowed were better at the first venue to Luxembourg, Ettelbrück
Yeah there were many hip gangster wannabees lol:)
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2006, 05:13 AM   #15
UUU
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels
What about when the band was playing, did u like the atmosphere then?
maar natuurlijk! / but of course!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2006, 05:29 AM   #16
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 4

Hi,

first show since 2002, and of course it was some sort of a religious experience to me.

There were some drawbacks, though.

While Justin & Danny were showing off their godlike-status (they are truly amazing musicians), I think Adam fucked up several times (hitting the wrong notes at the wrong times). This broke the 'magical' experience ... Schism was a slight 'disaster' also, but for different reasons...

The new songs (except jambi & vicarious which were tremendous) weren't really as tight as the old ones were (the band still seems to be waging war with their own songs, sometimes losing a battle,sometime winning...) but it is a very interesting thing to see this going on at the stage....

My TOP-moments:

* 46 & 2: Best muscial experience I have ever had.
* Lateralus: Truly amazing
* Aenema
* Jambi

Looking forward for what will happen sunday.

PS: The guy who was standing behind me and who's arm I burned with the Spliff I was smoking: Sorry dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by His_Royal_Dudeness; 06-01-2006 at 06:36 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2006, 06:30 AM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

Gent present! :-)
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2006, 06:39 AM   #18
Level 2 - Poster

It was a GREAT concert, well worth the 2,5 hour drive!! I've been waiting on this concert since I was 15 (1996) and their Dutch Aenima concert sold out within 10 minutes... Okay, I saw them at Pinkpop 3 years ago, but that's a little different...

Anyway, it was kinda something! The new songs I don't really know yet, which makes them a little more difficult to follow live (which shows that they have not yet become predictable! ;-)).
But it sounded great, really tight, and especially the older songs were absolutely amazing. I would have liked even more older songs, I would have really liked to hear them play Pushit, and in general I would have liked just more songs :-) but hey, I'm satisfied for now!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2006, 06:54 AM   #19
Useful Idiot

We were delayed on route and could not park close to the venue. The pendelbusses took a while so we came in at 21.15 , during 46 & 2 :(
apart from that, great show, great visuals. No surprises in the set and it felt like only half an hour (in stead of the nearly 90 minutes we were able to see). I hope for a revenge in Amsterdam or another Dutch city on June 27 (so I can be there early enough). Otherwise, definetely next Sunday! :)
Old 06-01-2006, 09:44 AM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

Apparently posts get "lost" without reason.

Yesterdays concert was awesome.
Let's see what sunday brings.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2006, 10:31 AM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
We were delayed on route and could not park close to the venue. The pendelbusses took a while so we came in at 21.15 , during 46 & 2 :(
apart from that, great show, great visuals. No surprises in the set and it felt like only half an hour (in stead of the nearly 90 minutes we were able to see). I hope for a revenge in Amsterdam or another Dutch city on June 27 (so I can be there early enough). Otherwise, definetely next Sunday! :)
wow man that sucks!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2006, 12:33 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

This concert really kicked big ass!! It was certainly one for the 'true fans', who else would come to this industrial neverland? Big surprises were Pot as second (never done so far), Maynard on his f* keyboard during vicarious, and the best setlist they could arrange for this concert cause they didn't skip one song played on this tour so far. Sober, 46 & 2 and Aenema did sound as fresh and powerfull as in the Aenema tour, .. really blew me away! The 'lateralus' guitar sound during the Sober bridge, Danny breaking his big china at the end of 46&2 and the whole of Aenema caused me severe headbang damage ;). The new songs sounded intense and powerfull enough to me, Justin his basslines on the pot took my attention the whole time and his f* beautyfull feedback on lost keys riped my soul out. Danny his work on the mandela was enlightening. Right in 2 I think is one of the best live songs of 10,000 days, sweet in the beginning and hard as rock towards the end, the way I like Tool the most. Loved every second! Now I can hear the album from a different angel and, time after time, feel the bassdrums smashing through my brains again. Thanks Tool and his fans, you rock!
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-02-2006, 01:34 AM   #23
Level 4 - Thinker

Nice! Note from the rockhal website, it seems the pictures were only taken during Stinkfist (Maynard's watch :))
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-02-2006, 05:57 AM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels
Nice! Note from the rockhal website, it seems the pictures were only taken during Stinkfist (Maynard's watch :))
I sort of know the guy who took the pics, and he said he was only allowed to take pics during the 1st song... so... yeah, it's all stinkfist ;)

About the venue:

for the first time EVER, I have to say something positive about Luxembourg regarding music and concerts: This venue is well built, well chosen location, the sound is great!
(Note: I am from Luxembourg)

The Sound astonished me, it blew me away! Sure, you can say it was way too loud, but that sort of made me feel Tool's music and the way it's meant to be feeled in a subjective manner, a lot more.

Tool did a great job, and I think they had a really great time in Luxembourg during this show! I kind of missed the big videoscreen seen on the Lateralus tour, but this didn't last very long! The setlist was ok for me, nothing to complain about... as if I start a wishlist, they should have been playing at least 4 hours ;)

Last edited by smokylux; 06-02-2006 at 07:21 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-03-2006, 11:37 AM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

My delusional, mushroom-induced fantasy life... EXCEPT IT WAS REAL DAMNIT

Ok then.. I don't care if you think me insane, narcisistic, delusional, stupid, eccentric, whatever. I had an amazing, glowing experience, and I have Tool to thank for that. I just thought I'd share with the rest of you, and hope in some egotistical way that Tool reads this, if only to acknowledge the fact that they have had an effect on me.

And I don't care if you think I'm wrong, I'm taking this experience with me for the rest of my life, and it's going to inspire me to finally do the things I want to do with my life. Whether that's complete self-sacrifice in the name of the good and just, or complete hedonism in the name of philosophical disgust with the world, who knows. But Tool has influenced me greatly, and here is my much exasperated account of how I feel I personally interacted with the band in a way I hope was novel for them. I know I caught a smirk or two from Maynard and Justin, and I hope in the very least, I was a piece of amusement for them, when it seemed to me they were very bored and disgusted with the current state of things.

Cheers to all of you, and I hope you all find some special delusional fantasy yourselves, to feed all that inspiration-hungry life living that needs to be done.

Copied from an e-mail, as I'm far too lazy to reword all of this now:

Oh man... oh man oh man, don't get me started about the Tool show. No wait, DO get me started! There's a plan I have, and it's to show Tool something surprising. Why do I say this? Well the venue I was at was TINY, and I may have been on mushrooms, but I promise you I had an intimate philosophical discussion/debate with Maynard, in the form of physicial communication and occasionally hollared words from me, and occasionally changed vocals from Maynard. Here's my theory...

Before the show started, I was already disgusted by the corporationism of the whole thing. I mean they took my water bottle so they could charge me two euros for a CUP of water inside. The shirts were rediculously overpriced, and even though I knew I'd feel like a sheep being chunneled through the system (due to the shrooms), I felt it more than I thought I would

So before Tool comes on stage, they start playing a Timothy Leary / Albert Hoffman kinda voice explaining the gobbledygook that goes on in the brain. Meanwhile I'm thinking about how great it is to hear 10 foreign languages all getting babbled incoherently all around me. The voice starts talking about something like this, explaining the mass of humanity and the confusion that stems from it... this voice is soon replaced by a Message to Harry Manback type thing that goes on for like 15 minutes. I realize the harry manbacks are just Maynard, or some techie, fucking around. He says shit like "look at all you fuckin fucks you're all so fuckin fucked up fuckin around like staring at some empty stage and shit, like oo I'm from the east coast yo, I fuck you up yo, I fuck yo granny, holmes, yeah yo", and basically making fun of every kind of person that can exist, eventually just "fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you" ... this is soon replaced by pure white noise in the lowest bass desible. The girls I was with later said this made them really horny, so who knows if that was the intent, but it was like the extreme indulgence of bass reverb. From this emerges some Meshuggah, and we're treated to a view of the road crew getting the stage ready.

Ok, now the show itself, and why I think I got the band's attention, and I hope you do the same thing :-)

They came out to Stinkfist, and immediately I'm struck by the complete opposite nature of this show compared to the Lateralus tour. The band is fully well lit, Maynard is MOCKING Stinkfist. He's kicking his foot back and forth with this holier-than-thou grimace on his face and waving his head around as if he's just having fun. Adam looks bored playing a repetitive riff in the song, and I see Danny roll his eyes at one of his own older drum patterns (a really simple one). The crowd is going crazy, and yet I'm standing back with my arms crossed, a completely confused look on my face. Like "what the FUCK, tool?" I'm looking at Maynard with this face, and as the song is beginning the end, he turns towards me, looksright at me (though who knows if it was really ME - a warning, I'm assuming a lot here, and I was on mushrooms, so take all this with a grain of salt) through his big cowboy shades (complete with mohawk and cowboy hat), and kind of cocks his head to the side. I visibly gesture towards the lighting setup, the stage, the fans, the band, and I go "what the fuck?" ... I tried to enter into a dialogue with the band this way by first criticizing them, showing them I'm not just some blind dumb ignorant fan who will eat up anything they give me. What do they play next? The Pot. Maynard is thrusting his microphone stand at me as he says "who are you to wave your finger?", and for the rest of the show he's facing directly towards me (keep in mind I'm only like three people back from the front, and with a foot of space around me, very visible to the band because the audience was well lit too... and after a couple songs I feel the heat of spotlights shining directly at me. I delusionally believe Maynard pointed at me with the stand and gave the techies hand signals to make that happen... shea right ;-)). I start laughing, and enjoying the show again. I get into Justin's bass groove and rock the fuck out, look up at him, and he nods at me with a smile. The next song I think was Jambi, which as you know starts out really heavy. I laugh as the audience gets into it, jumping around and moshing until it suddenly gets all quiet and melodically serene. When it comes time for the guitar solo, I deliberately turn to face Justin and nod at him the whole time to the beat, being as blatantly obvious as possible, and I'm positive he notices this with curiosity, a little bit of a confused head-cocked-to-the-side look. I couldn't have been more than two yards from him. Next song I think was Schism, during this song Justin's head is completely bowed down, a spotlight of sorts is on him, and he has a shining silver heart pendant necklace hanging blatantly out of his shirt, next to a shining spiral design on his guitar strap. At first I thought this was just cool, but then I realized it was done purposefully, as part of the show. I turn back to Maynard and shake my head at him with a grin, then kinda point at my noggin and raise my eyebrows at him. He totally looked surprised, it was so cool. After Schism I kept mouthing the word communication to him, while tapping my head, hoping to give him the idea that I'd rather listen to some trippy music instead of all the hard rock. He says into the microphone "Ok... new song... and new idea." I think from this point on they turned the concert into an experiment, like "ok this kid is obviously tripping his ass off, let's give him an experience to remember" - lots of gestures to techies before things happen for a reason, and lots of lines shouted directly at me by Maynard. I looked up at Justin once and he gestured towards Maynard. I think somebody was watching, seeing how I was reacting... ooo paranoia is fun...
Ok I'll stop giving every single last detail here... suffice it to say that before Rosetta Stoned, I shouted "tell me a story," and Maynard looks over... "Alright... picture this if you will," sweeping his hand out to the entire audience. Instead of the area 51 story I'm greeted to what I consider a personal explanation, an interview of sorts, straight from the man himself. Here's my rough transcription: "So picture this if you will, you wake up one day and realize that all the life around you is just a piling heep of human shit growing larger and larger by the day all falling on top of itself with nothing you can do to stop it, and it's just all one fucking piece of shit fucking ugly fucking mother fucking AAAAHRHRGHDFGBHGB..... Then one day, you wake up and IT'S ALL THE SAME FUCKING SHIT JUST REPEATED AND MSDNGBKJSNGSDVSDNVS, so what the fuck do you do?"

I'm looking up at Maynard with this sympathetic look, just like "wow, I was right, you are just an old man tired of the bullshit, tired of your own rock image, tired of being the hero, tired of nothing working right and humanity failing time and time again to show you any sign of approval." This was my intent all along, I wanted simply to say "it worked for me, the tool did it's job, please don't give up, keep trying." The rest of the show the songs dealt with suicide and frustration, every single song drove home this point and Maynard kept interacting with me... whenever I got stuck behind somebody, he'd start doing this dance with his microphone stand, poking his head out from either side. I started mocking him and then would stand perfectly still with this mocking face on, and he'd stop and nod once I was back in sight of him... I'm serious man, at least this much I'm positive of. I'm not delusional I say!!

Continued.....
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-03-2006, 11:38 AM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

During Sober, images of champaigne glasses were used...

One of the thoughts I had was that maynard was trying to tell me that this pursuit of philosophy, this trying to understand it all, will only lead to frustration, I'll only end up being the figure in the music videos, decrepid, old, suffering from frustration, wanting only to get drunk and ignore the terrible questions of the meaning of life. But I kept responding "go deeper, go deeper, keep going," and the songs movewd further away from real-world frustrations, to answers - Lateralus, for example. For mosto f the show I purposefully closed my eyes and ignored the band, I was tired of seeing them as an image, and I wanted them to know that not all of their fans were just pleasure-seeking ignorants who wanted to rock out. I wanted to experience their spirutual side. During Aenima, Adam played a trippy as hell little noise which wrapped around the arena, and I found myself waving around orgasmically to it, until Maynard (instead of singing), blurted out the line "Dumbfounded dipshit[s]", and I stopped myself, looking up to him, caught him smirking, and couldn't help but laugh.

Dude, you have no idea how amazing it is to see a band like this humanized, brought down to my level, where I can actually communicate to them, whether they got my message or not, I know for a fact they heard me saying "Thank you!" whenever there was a silence, and I definitely gave and recieved peace signs and thumbs up to Justin, who smiled back at me.

Who cares if they really were interacting with me? Who cares if it was all in my head? The show put Tool in a new perspective for me, realizing they really are just people doing their thing, living life just as all the Kafkas and Voltaires have in the history of time, realizing the same suffering truths of humanity, and deciding to just be hedonists and give up on trying to save the world. But I want to tell them not to give up...

So I thought it would be really cool if you can manage to get close to the stage, give them a few Thank Yous, thumbs up, and peace signs, (as opposed to all the metal hands the Frenchies threw up), and maybe try to have the same sort of interaction I did. It's really worth it, on shrooms or not.

One other cool interactive bit I remembered: Maynard had a keyboard, and he seemed very unconfident with his singing and his playing. I tried to encourage him by gesturing to the keyboard whenever he looked like he was thinking about it, and kept mouthing "experiment" to them... I wanted them to jam out more, and after a while I think he got the idea, turned to Danny, pointed at his head a few times, and then started this spiritual jam type thing... in the middle of Right in Two they extended for a while, made it a really good build up jam... that was awesome :-)

Oh, and after the show, as everyone's filtering out, I'm thinking it can't be over, it was so short, all they played was singles and a couple trippy songs (Right in Two and Lateralus)... so I'm walking away, kind of tentatively, along with the rest of the crowd, and I heard Maynard (all the lights are up, the band is gone, the crew is taking down the stage), through the speakers, saying "My son... my son... my son..." then he starts singing a frickin lullaby, which I don't think ANYBODY heard. So I stop in my tracks, think about following my single-serving-friend out, then change my mind and wander back. After the lullaby he starts singing a song by Astrud Gilberto, ironically enough some song my dad used to play all the time (The Girl from Epanipa [spelling] - if you find it, I'm sure you'd recognize it)... so I'm strolling about, listening to this song, enjoying myself, when I think I hear the words "every now and then, once in a while, one lucky one something something"... and I blink - I think I see Justin in the crowd, but he kind of turns away and walks away. Then I kind of hear "coulda been there, could it be, but no..." or something like that. I'm thinking "oh my god they're fucking mocking me, this is awesome!" So I look up, turning around, hands out, kinda like "so where the fuck are you, if you're watching me?"... my responce "think about it... think about it... think about it..." a light flickers in a doorway way up in some balcony, and out walk four "security guards." I see one raise a hand to his face and I hear "hey there." FUCKING A MAN! :-D I wave and give thumbs ups, and they just stand up there, observing the audience as they filter out of the show...

One fuck of an experience, my friend, I hope you don't think me too delusional, and that you have some of the same fun I did. Tool is fucking with us more than ever, and I love the fact that I think they recognized that I saw through it. More than that, I hope they realize that I appreciate their efforts, and if you can share the same sentiments for me, maybe they really will realize it.

Ok I'll stop being insane now. Sorry for such a long ass letter, but I had to include it ALLL!!! :-)

SO: did anybody else notice the singing after the show, or the four of them up on the banister? I hope I wasn't alone. I heard a few people laugh excitedly at the same time that I realized it was them. Or thought it was, at least.

Ciao for now,
Armando Alvarez
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-03-2006, 11:40 AM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

Oh, and does anybody have any audio/video recording of this show? I really want to re-listen to Rosetta Stoned, and hear more accurately what he was actually saying there, because I know I didn't make up the fact that those "lyrics" were completely different.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-03-2006, 11:48 AM   #28
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

So this was my fourth live Tool experience. I'm writing this several days after the concert. NP: 10.000 Days

A year ago or so on A.M.T. I stumbled upon a fan from Brussels who had already travelled abroad to see Tool, and we agreed that whenever Tool came to our part of the world, we would try to catch a headline show. Before 10.000 Days, it became clear that the band would only play Belgium at the Rock Werchter festival, and that Amsterdam and Luxemburg were our nearest options. After the first date was supposedly cancelled (it reappeared later), we decided to settle for the latter.

After months of anticipation the day finally came and we set course for that little country south of the border. After a 2,5 hour drive we arrived at a virtually deserted ancient industrial area, totally off the map. A brand new concert hall, the Rockhal, had been opened there only last year. Rain was pouring. A very unreal, surreal place, I must say, setting the mood for a special evening.

Alrighty then. Inside it immediately became clear that there would be no opening band, as the whole Tool set was already in place. After waiting for about two hours (I saw the music that was being played came out of an Ipod – one of the band members’s?) a really thick rumbling bass sound was played, literally shaking our bodies, the lights went out, the projection screens flipped on and out came Justin, Adam, Danny and Maynard.

The setlist was about the same as at other 2006 concerts so far, although they gave us one extra song, being The Pot, which I saw was announced on the setlist as ???The Pot???. Very glad they decided to play it anyway. May be the special surroundings inspired them as well, who knows. I was quietly hoping for them to play some more obscure songs, but at the same time they are no juke box and we should be happy with whatever we get. Loved the extended Stinkfist, and also loved all the new songs by the way. Seeing Danny smiling at Justin during Right in Two was special, and watching Maynard frantically leap around during Rosetta Stoned spewing those lyrics finally got me into that song as well, the only one on the new album I really hadn’t gotten into yet. And you gotta love that talk box solo.

There was no playing about between songs. Maynard was in good spirits, but didn’t utter any maynardism this time around. Just said hello, thank you and goodbye. Justin rocked out as usual, Danny again was a true powerhouse and Adam, well, was Adam.

The concert was very loud. Very. Loud. Really. I really can’t understand why so many people don’t wear earplugs to rock concerts. Take it from me: they guarantee that you’ll be enjoying music for the rest of your life, and not only in your Wonder Years. Anyway, there was way too much bass, so the sound could’ve been better rounded, but that was a relatively minor inconvenience concidering the band played hard and tight and really delivered, as always. Only hickup was Maynard having some problem with his throat and therefore with his concentration during Schism: he fucked up the lyrics and skipped a verse. But, as they say: Nihil humanum etc.

I will never forget this evening. Tool, to me, is as inspiring as music can get. They take anything they do to a completely other level, leaving them pretty much peerless in my eyes, and their live performance is no exception. Nothing half assed about them. Thank you Tool.
(And thank you, Dieter, for the ride and the excellent companionship.)

Next stop: Werchter

Last edited by toolish; 06-03-2006 at 11:51 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #29
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamisandisnt
You lost it man. They don't play a song because you were standing in the crowd and making gestures at them, they have a setlist taped to the stagefloor. The only interaction with the audience I saw was Justin who was gesturing at my friend in front of me that he had a nice Frank Zappa T-shirt and that he also liked Frank Zappa. Here's a picture if you wil:

http://gallery.rockhal.lu/albums/tool/071_Tool.jpg
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-03-2006, 04:40 PM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasmaaier
You lost it man. They don't play a song because you were standing in the crowd and making gestures at them, they have a setlist taped to the stagefloor. The only interaction with the audience I saw was Justin who was gesturing at my friend in front of me that he had a nice Frank Zappa T-shirt and that he also liked Frank Zappa. Here's a picture if you wil:

http://gallery.rockhal.lu/albums/tool/071_Tool.jpg

Ok, yeah, point indeedfully undoubtable. But what do you want? I'm still coming down, man :-P
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-04-2006, 04:21 PM   #31
Level 4 - Thinker

By the way! Did anyone notice that the guitar-solo in VICARIOUS is actually a BASS-solo? That's how they pull it off live anyway ...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadde
Good show, but I must say I am a little bit dissapointed with the setlist this tour. Not only are the shows a lot shorter than during the Lateralus tour (90 min vs 120+ min), I'm sorry to see that they're not putting much variation in the set.

The absolute highlights of the show were 'Right in Two' (man, what a song!), 'Sober' (still one of my alltime Tool favorites), 'Vicarious' and 'Aenema'.

Most dissapointing : The Pot (not as tight as on CD), Schism (Maynard had to stop singing during the second verse - had to clear his throat and drink some water - but hey, he's only human ofcourse) and Rosetta Stoned (sorry, but I just can't get into this one).

On the Lateralus tour, they managed to suck me in from the very first note, and grabbed me by the throat until the last second of the concert. This time, there were a lot of highlights, and it was a great show ... but I didn't get into this natural trip that I experienced last time.

It was definately a great show, and worth it's money for sure ... but I'm afraid this one doesn't make it to my top 10 ...

Next month Paris ...
Hey man, Tool is the best thing to grace the music scene, you just need to give these songs more time to fully illuminate themselves. Tool is not the type of band where listening the first time around you can grasp the true intensity and complexity of the art. Give Rosetta stoned an oppurtunity to shine if you are a true Tool fan you will grow to love it just as much if not more than any tool song out there. Personally I think it is one of the most creative songs to ever be written. Tool's music will metamorphasize as their lives change and progress, remember it has been 5 years since the last album, all of their lives are in completely different areas. Remember this is the first leg of the tour, the kickoff tour, wait until the next time around , when they start playing 10,000 days , that is when we will see the true beauty and genius of Tool, That everybody is looking for. I was Supremely impressed with the show that I saw and can't wait to see them again.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-04-2006, 10:39 PM   #33
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadde
By the way! Did anyone notice that the guitar-solo in VICARIOUS is actually a BASS-solo? That's how they pull it off live anyway ...
Yeah I noticed it too at Grenoble, the day before, Justin is that quick here and sounds like guitar so made me turn my head from Adam to Justin ! Quite a surprise !!
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: