Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
k~nug's Avatar k~nug
06-16-2006, 10:26 AM

that is damn impressive..( the rosetta stoned clip)

www.soundclick.com/bands/9/markmattermusic.htm

www.matter4u.com pics and music
Old 06-16-2006, 10:26 AM   #201
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4
Re: Hardest Song to play on drums?

that is damn impressive..( the rosetta stoned clip)

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Absolute_Zero's Avatar Absolute_Zero
06-16-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k~nug
I agree and disagree with champion. There's an old adage that says a musician is only as good as his instrument. However, if you gave Danny a piece of shit cb percussion kit with out of tune drums, he would still fucking rock.
I don't know ... there's alot of truth in Champion's post. When I play other kits, it feels uncomfortable as hell. ... everyone arranges their cymbals differently, some people angle their toms (I keep the heads of mine horizontal), kick pedals have different levels of responsiveness (I use a dw 5000 series double kick, so super-responsive pedals [like Axis longboard] or under-responsive pedals [like Iron Cobras] fuck up my timing slightly. My absolute petpeeve = tilted snares (I believe in the rimshot) and cymbals set too far away (I also like to incorporate alot of grabs and holds when I jam).
This is getting long-winded, but here's my point: drum kits are set-up for the owner, and if the setup is really divergent from your rig, it'll screw you up (sometimes really bad). Danny would still rock, but -- depending on circumstances -- probably alot less. I know how I feel when I play on one of my student's bullshit rigs.

I'll also go out on a limb here and say that out of tune drums always sound like shit, no matter who's playing them.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:30 AM   #202
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 255

Quote:
I agree and disagree with champion. There's an old adage that says a musician is only as good as his instrument. However, if you gave Danny a piece of shit cb percussion kit with out of tune drums, he would still fucking rock.
I don't know ... there's alot of truth in Champion's post. When I play other kits, it feels uncomfortable as hell. ... everyone arranges their cymbals differently, some people angle their toms (I keep the heads of mine horizontal), kick pedals have different levels of responsiveness (I use a dw 5000 series double kick, so super-responsive pedals [like Axis longboard] or under-responsive pedals [like Iron Cobras] fuck up my timing slightly. My absolute petpeeve = tilted snares (I believe in the rimshot) and cymbals set too far away (I also like to incorporate alot of grabs and holds when I jam).
This is getting long-winded, but here's my point: drum kits are set-up for the owner, and if the setup is really divergent from your rig, it'll screw you up (sometimes really bad). Danny would still rock, but -- depending on circumstances -- probably alot less. I know how I feel when I play on one of my student's bullshit rigs.

I'll also go out on a limb here and say that out of tune drums always sound like shit, no matter who's playing them.
06-16-2006, 01:00 PM

Jimmeny's band is pretty sweet.

Yeah, just thought I'd post that...
Old 06-16-2006, 01:00 PM   #203

Bincount™: 21

Jimmeny's band is pretty sweet.

Yeah, just thought I'd post that...
Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
06-16-2006, 02:06 PM

Thanks alot for commenting. I actually do it all myself, it's just a psuedonym.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #204
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 30

k~nug's Avatar k~nug
06-16-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute_Zero

Well, that's not really the point I was making. I guess my point would be made better with a guitar, since setups tend to be much more simple and common. If Steve Vai played a series 10 POS, it would still sound great.

If danny played a POS kit setup how he wanted, even with the drums out of tune, he would still rock is what i mean. I wasn't referring to the setup, but the sound.

Old 06-16-2006, 02:36 PM   #205

Quote:

Well, that's not really the point I was making. I guess my point would be made better with a guitar, since setups tend to be much more simple and common. If Steve Vai played a series 10 POS, it would still sound great.

If danny played a POS kit setup how he wanted, even with the drums out of tune, he would still rock is what i mean. I wasn't referring to the setup, but the sound.

06-16-2006, 02:47 PM

Quote:

agreed then.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:47 PM   #206
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

agreed then.
06-16-2006, 03:47 PM

Hell, just give Danny a tabla and he'll still kick ass.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:47 PM   #207
Gettin' that big taste

Bincount™: 752

Hell, just give Danny a tabla and he'll still kick ass.
06-16-2006, 04:43 PM

Quote:
agreed then.
Did you get your name from the Faith No More song?

Old 06-16-2006, 04:43 PM   #208

Quote:
agreed then.

Raul78
06-16-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeny
That's very impressive. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:25 PM   #209

Bincount™: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeny
That's very impressive. Keep up the good work.
comfortably_numb
06-18-2006, 06:24 AM

keep the clips coming in people...
Old 06-18-2006, 06:24 AM   #210
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

keep the clips coming in people...
06-18-2006, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I got it from the Kelvin scale.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #211
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
I got it from the Kelvin scale.
06-19-2006, 06:39 AM

Ok here's a clip of me playing the bridge of rosetta stoned....on pots and pans!! I allready posted it in the rosetta stoned section so here ya go.

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p...83#post1157283

Feel free to leave some feedback!!
Women have this wierd myth that you can tell how good a guy is in bed by how he is on the dance floor. I think that's ludicrus. What does it matter anyway? If a guy's on a dancefloor really gettin' into it and enjoying himself and expressing himself, what does it matter how he is in bed.......... he's gay!! - Bill Hicks
Old 06-19-2006, 06:39 AM   #212
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 11

Ok here's a clip of me playing the bridge of rosetta stoned....on pots and pans!! I allready posted it in the rosetta stoned section so here ya go.

Women have this wierd myth that you can tell how good a guy is in bed by how he is on the dance floor. I think that's ludicrus. What does it matter anyway? If a guy's on a dancefloor really gettin' into it and enjoying himself and expressing himself, what does it matter how he is in bed.......... he's gay!! - Bill Hicks
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
06-19-2006, 07:58 AM

That was fuckin' trippy to figure out! Fuckin' trippy. 7:00 to 8:35... the bass drum in that part is trippy. I love it. And the bass really gives it more dimension. I just love that part of the song. Fuckin' awesome. Can't say enough.

Last edited by DON IOTAE; 06-19-2006 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: inc
Old 06-19-2006, 07:58 AM   #213
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310
rosetta stoned drum & bass solo

That was fuckin' trippy to figure out! Fuckin' trippy. 7:00 to 8:35... the bass drum in that part is trippy. I love it. And the bass really gives it more dimension. I just love that part of the song. Fuckin' awesome. Can't say enough.

Last edited by DON IOTAE; 06-19-2006 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: inc
drone007
06-19-2006, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonblue462

your bass drum is all fucked up man.. :) still fun to listen to, but that's def. not the right beat
Old 06-19-2006, 08:25 AM   #214

Quote:

your bass drum is all fucked up man.. :) still fun to listen to, but that's def. not the right beat
06-19-2006, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drone007
Well I'm not a drummer (hence the pots), I'm a guitarist. And the box kept jumpin away!!!
It's just someting I did when I should have been studying for a physics exam!! Maybe I'll try and get a video up so you can all see my sweet rig..three pots, a box and a CD!!!
Old 06-19-2006, 09:42 AM   #215
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drone007
Well I'm not a drummer (hence the pots), I'm a guitarist. And the box kept jumpin away!!!
It's just someting I did when I should have been studying for a physics exam!! Maybe I'll try and get a video up so you can all see my sweet rig..three pots, a box and a CD!!!
champion's Avatar champion
06-19-2006, 10:10 AM

Hey, I think this would be easier for me if I just played along to the song. But how can I record my drumming WHILE still keeping the song level recorded and loud?
Old 06-19-2006, 10:10 AM   #216
Banned.

Bincount™: 360

Hey, I think this would be easier for me if I just played along to the song. But how can I record my drumming WHILE still keeping the song level recorded and loud?
06-19-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion
When I jam to CDs, I put earbuds in and wear industiral ear protection (e.g. the ones that look like headphones). Its my budget version of an in-ear monitor... you can still hear your drumming, but the actual track is much louder. Works like a charm.

Maybe try that, then sync-up your drum track with the track you played to?
Old 06-19-2006, 10:18 AM   #217
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
When I jam to CDs, I put earbuds in and wear industiral ear protection (e.g. the ones that look like headphones). Its my budget version of an in-ear monitor... you can still hear your drumming, but the actual track is much louder. Works like a charm.

Maybe try that, then sync-up your drum track with the track you played to?
06-19-2006, 10:40 AM

Well, I meant not so much for me, but for recording the effort to put it up on here. How can I record the song and my drums at the same time?
Old 06-19-2006, 10:40 AM   #218
Banned.

Well, I meant not so much for me, but for recording the effort to put it up on here. How can I record the song and my drums at the same time?
06-19-2006, 11:01 AM

what are you recording with?
Old 06-19-2006, 11:01 AM   #219
Level 8 - Vociferous

what are you recording with?
06-19-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Well if you have any sort of recording software like, Acid, Cubase, Audicity etc. you can listen to it in your headfones while you record your drumming. Then record the actual song seperatly and when you have both just sync them up by using your recording software and master them to one track of MP3.

I would e-mail Acid 3.0 to you, but it's 20MB and I only have dial-up, sorry.

If you can't do it the way I said you could always just get a big ass amp from someone and play the song while you record.

Anyway, try your best to get it recorded, I'm lookin forward to hearing someone play some 10,000 days properly
Old 06-19-2006, 02:28 PM   #220
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Well if you have any sort of recording software like, Acid, Cubase, Audicity etc. you can listen to it in your headfones while you record your drumming. Then record the actual song seperatly and when you have both just sync them up by using your recording software and master them to one track of MP3.

I would e-mail Acid 3.0 to you, but it's 20MB and I only have dial-up, sorry.

If you can't do it the way I said you could always just get a big ass amp from someone and play the song while you record.

Anyway, try your best to get it recorded, I'm lookin forward to hearing someone play some 10,000 days properly
champion's Avatar champion
06-19-2006, 03:36 PM

I have a digital 8-track recorder. I can burn it right onto CD. So I guess I can use six inputs for my drums and one input for an amp that's playing the song?

Or I can just video tape it all.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:36 PM   #221
Banned.

I have a digital 8-track recorder. I can burn it right onto CD. So I guess I can use six inputs for my drums and one input for an amp that's playing the song?

Or I can just video tape it all.
k~nug's Avatar k~nug
06-19-2006, 04:33 PM

Just video tape yourself while playing to the song then use Windows movie maker to over dub your recorded drums and actual Tool song to the video...it easy.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:33 PM   #222

Just video tape yourself while playing to the song then use Windows movie maker to over dub your recorded drums and actual Tool song to the video...it easy.

eonblue462's Avatar eonblue462
06-20-2006, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Yep that'd work. Go for it champion!
Old 06-20-2006, 05:58 AM   #223
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Yep that'd work. Go for it champion!
drone007
06-20-2006, 08:15 AM

imma see if i can record myself playin something tonight... pretty busy right now but this is something i've wanted to try for a long time actually.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:15 AM   #224

imma see if i can record myself playin something tonight... pretty busy right now but this is something i've wanted to try for a long time actually.
06-20-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:

lol ah, i didn't know you weren't a drummer.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:17 AM   #225

Quote:

lol ah, i didn't know you weren't a drummer.
06-22-2006, 04:17 AM

so wheres all these video's?
Old 06-22-2006, 04:17 AM   #226
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 47

so wheres all these video's?
06-27-2006, 06:17 AM

There are some on youtube, this guy who plays stinkfist (rather good) and parabola (rather.. meh... a lot of fuck-ups). And the point of view of the camera is in front of the drum, so you hardly see what's going on.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:17 AM   #227
Level 8 - Vociferous

There are some on youtube, this guy who plays stinkfist (rather good) and parabola (rather.. meh... a lot of fuck-ups). And the point of view of the camera is in front of the drum, so you hardly see what's going on.
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
06-27-2006, 07:00 AM

Opiate.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:00 AM   #228
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310
hardest song to play on drums...

Opiate.
k~nug's Avatar k~nug
06-27-2006, 07:21 PM

Old 06-27-2006, 07:21 PM   #229

Gajarigon's Avatar Gajarigon
06-28-2006, 12:02 AM

Quote:
A mazing
Old 06-28-2006, 12:02 AM   #230
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
A mazing
telder
06-28-2006, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Proud of that. That really kicks ass. I'm close, but not that fluid. Definitely better than me.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:13 AM   #231
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Proud of that. That really kicks ass. I'm close, but not that fluid. Definitely better than me.
06-29-2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:

holy shit that was amazing! thanks for the vid
Old 06-29-2006, 08:34 PM   #232
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

holy shit that was amazing! thanks for the vid
eonblue462's Avatar eonblue462
07-05-2006, 06:43 AM

OK mo-fo's! THIS is some bad ass pots and pans drumming on the streets of Dublin! Grafton Street to be percice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5eqK...t%2Ddrummer%2F
Old 07-05-2006, 06:43 AM   #233
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

OK mo-fo's! THIS is some bad ass pots and pans drumming on the streets of Dublin! Grafton Street to be percice.

Peaceful Moments's Avatar Peaceful Moments
07-05-2006, 07:19 AM

Quote:

Haha, fuckin' awesome!
Old 07-05-2006, 07:19 AM   #234
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 51

Quote:

Haha, fuckin' awesome!
inSin's Avatar inSin
07-05-2006, 06:54 PM

Quote:

hahaha.. some one get the poor guy a 100 dollar set or somthing
Old 07-05-2006, 06:54 PM   #235
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

hahaha.. some one get the poor guy a 100 dollar set or somthing
elysianfields
07-06-2006, 08:50 PM

Lipan Conjuring you guys.... Lipan Conjuring. I dont even know where to begin...
Old 07-06-2006, 08:50 PM   #236
Level 3 - Talker

Lipan Conjuring you guys.... Lipan Conjuring. I dont even know where to begin...
07-11-2006, 05:50 AM

this guy is pretty damn good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkoqNoo3bfg
Old 07-11-2006, 05:50 AM   #237
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

this guy is pretty damn good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkoqNoo3bfg
scorectum
10-03-2006, 03:50 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QigyYZ5VTvo

here's a video of a guy drumming the FUCK out of ticks and leeches
Old 10-03-2006, 03:50 PM   #238
Level 4 - Thinker

lachrymolog's Avatar lachrymolog
10-05-2006, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorectum View Post

Sweet virgin mary tittyfuckin christ that was sick! He had the skills -and- the own personal touch that so many of these guys is missing (allthough most try to play -exactly- like Danny). And the energy of this bloke... Danny would've been be proud, if only he could've been here today :P
Old 10-05-2006, 06:36 AM   #239
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

Sweet virgin mary tittyfuckin christ that was sick! He had the skills -and- the own personal touch that so many of these guys is missing (allthough most try to play -exactly- like Danny). And the energy of this bloke... Danny would've been be proud, if only he could've been here today :P
10-05-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:

OMG
Old 10-05-2006, 02:52 PM   #240
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote: