Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
devouredinchaos
05-09-2006, 06:10 AM

Not that reviews matter in my book, but this is truly one of the best 10,000 Days reviews I have come across...

From metalreview.com

I’ll make two things clear. First, in certain cases the most helpful thing a reviewer can do is to make his opinions on a band’s prior work as clear as his thoughts on the album in question. While I have a healthy respect for Opiate and Undertow, I find Ænima and Lateralus to be utterly pants-crappingly fantastic music. Some fans have complained the band has gotten too long winded, too artsy, and too experimental. Keep spiraling out, I say. I’d rate Ænima a 6/6 and Lateralus a 7/6. Bias claimed. Know your source, people. Secondly, coincidentally I was recently discussing album reviews with a guy who claimed that not only are reviews (and especially print reviews) becoming irrelevant in the age of near unlimited access, but that reviews are almost never worth much anyway because they’re written after very limited experience with an album. Reviews are only actually useful, he argued, when the reviewer has the intimate familiarity with an album that comes after extended listening and the passage of time. I didn’t agree (or fully disagree) of course; I think good reviewers listen to albums enough to provide ample description and an overall recommendation to either explore or avoid the album. Tool is among the group that exists as the exception that proves the rule. First impressions of Tool are worth very little. Coming to know, and finally establishing a final opinion of a Tool album just seems to take a little longer than usual. And that’s just a face value “knowing”. The mouth watering intricacies and idiosyncrasies come later. And then some more after that. I have no doubt that six months down the road I’ll look back at this review and cringe, because then I’ll have a better understanding and different relationship with 10,000 Days. So what you get now is the “so far” of it. And my so far view is still changing with every spin.

My first impression (you know, the one that’s not worth much) was not good. Not good at all. I found little on 10,000 Days that measured up to the band’s earth shaking, third eye prying last two albums. But I kept listening. And things changed. Keep listening and things become clearer. Listen how much? Enough to bury the lingering specter of expectation. Based on my expectations alone, 10,000 Days is not the album I wanted to hear. Lateralus II would have been just fine. But Tool doesn’t make the same album twice, and this time is no different. Good things started to happen after I returned to 10,000 Days for a second round of spins. Namely, I quit ruminating about the album this wasn’t and started to enjoy the album that it is. The album opening duo “Vicarious” and “Jambi” are a formidable, predominantly heavy pair that are easy to jump right into, but what really sank its claws into me first was a portion of the nearly eighteen minute title track, which has been split into two songs. “Wings for Marie (Pt 1)” and “10,000 Days (Wings Pt 2)” initially felt unassuming, overlong and without pay-off, but subsequent listens have revealed its true nature as an incredibly subtle, intricate, highly personal epic. The song is about the recent death and ascension to heaven of Maynard’s mother (who suffered a stroke and partial paralysis 27 years before her death), and this achingly moving and beautiful song has the delicate, introspective nature that the subject matter would suggest. The song weaves, twirls and builds tension in painstaking slowness and glorious anticipation, but rather than peaking and exploding into the expected snarling outburst, reaches a massive emotional climax juxtaposed by a musical anti-climax with Maynard singing “Ten thousand days in the fire is long enough, you’re going home”. It’s absolutely chilling. And even when the band does eventually shift into the song’s lone “heavy” (it sounds so silly to describe it that way given context) section, they maintain a more restrained and respectful element. This is a gorgeous and true jaw-dropping epic. The introspective, personal, and even spiritual vibe is a theme that continues to crop up again, along with a passive (or at least puzzled) observation of the declination of society. “Lipan Conjuring”, one the patented Tool interludes (three are offered this time around), consists of spiritual sounding Native American chanting, while “Right in Two” describes the angels watching from the sidelines in shock and wonder as mankind uses its freewill to destroy itself (taking what is one, and enough, and dividing it right in two). “Vicarious” is an indictment of vampire-like mainlined media exposure to sensationalized death and tragedy. There’s even the story of a “chosen one”/high school dropout who wanders into an ER during the interlude track “Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman)”, then on the subsequent “Rosetta Stoned” tells his story. While in the throws of a bad acid trip thinks he’s been abducted by aliens who have given him a warning about the end of man, but to his dismay he’s too fucked up to write it down to relay the message to mankind.

The vocals on 10,000 Days are frequently slightly less prominent than usual and occasionally use atypical approaches. Maynard’s megaphone, machine gun, LSD rantings at the beginning of the twisted and fantastic “Rosetta Stoned” are a prime example. The a cappella intro of “The Pot” is grating initially, but suits the song, and Maynard soon after resumes a more usual approach. The bass heavy track is a “who the hell are you to tell me” track reminiscent of “Hooker with a Penis”. Once you become more familiar with the album it feels like a natural and logical step for Tool, and unless you’re of the opinion that the band needlessly stretches things out these days, you’ll find yourself up to your neck in everything you love about Tool. Some of the ideas and presentation are different, but the language of it remains the same. The back breaking syncopated riffing, odd time signatures, obscenely talented and unique drumming, complex and winding compositions, and a spectacularly talented voice continue to combine to deliver mind-bendingly satisfying and addictive heavy music of the highest quality. With all the talk of “Meshuggah influence”, I expected more aggressive and explicitly heavy tracks. Given the marathon “Wings” duo and the serene “Intension”, as well as interludes and quieter portions of other tracks (especially “Right in Two”), a large portion of 10,000 Days’ 76 minutes consists of quieter and slower material. Just don’t mistake that for a lack of intensity. There are moments along the way that conjure allusions to earlier times—the sound and role of “Intension” bears a similarity to “Disposition”, the familiar nature of “The Pot” has already been discussed, and “Vicarious” and “Jambi” could be a blend of the last two albums. Other glimpses emerge and disappear. But overall, 10,000 Days is different enough to raise an initial clamor of disappointment, familiar enough to be a long-craved comfort, and powerful enough to transcend both of those things to become something all its own. Fantastic.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:10 AM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Best. Review. PERIOD.

Not that reviews matter in my book, but this is truly one of the best 10,000 Days reviews I have come across...

From metalreview.com

I’ll make two things clear. First, in certain cases the most helpful thing a reviewer can do is to make his opinions on a band’s prior work as clear as his thoughts on the album in question. While I have a healthy respect for Opiate and Undertow, I find Ænima and Lateralus to be utterly pants-crappingly fantastic music. Some fans have complained the band has gotten too long winded, too artsy, and too experimental. Keep spiraling out, I say. I’d rate Ænima a 6/6 and Lateralus a 7/6. Bias claimed. Know your source, people. Secondly, coincidentally I was recently discussing album reviews with a guy who claimed that not only are reviews (and especially print reviews) becoming irrelevant in the age of near unlimited access, but that reviews are almost never worth much anyway because they’re written after very limited experience with an album. Reviews are only actually useful, he argued, when the reviewer has the intimate familiarity with an album that comes after extended listening and the passage of time. I didn’t agree (or fully disagree) of course; I think good reviewers listen to albums enough to provide ample description and an overall recommendation to either explore or avoid the album. Tool is among the group that exists as the exception that proves the rule. First impressions of Tool are worth very little. Coming to know, and finally establishing a final opinion of a Tool album just seems to take a little longer than usual. And that’s just a face value “knowing”. The mouth watering intricacies and idiosyncrasies come later. And then some more after that. I have no doubt that six months down the road I’ll look back at this review and cringe, because then I’ll have a better understanding and different relationship with 10,000 Days. So what you get now is the “so far” of it. And my so far view is still changing with every spin.

My first impression (you know, the one that’s not worth much) was not good. Not good at all. I found little on 10,000 Days that measured up to the band’s earth shaking, third eye prying last two albums. But I kept listening. And things changed. Keep listening and things become clearer. Listen how much? Enough to bury the lingering specter of expectation. Based on my expectations alone, 10,000 Days is not the album I wanted to hear. Lateralus II would have been just fine. But Tool doesn’t make the same album twice, and this time is no different. Good things started to happen after I returned to 10,000 Days for a second round of spins. Namely, I quit ruminating about the album this wasn’t and started to enjoy the album that it is. The album opening duo “Vicarious” and “Jambi” are a formidable, predominantly heavy pair that are easy to jump right into, but what really sank its claws into me first was a portion of the nearly eighteen minute title track, which has been split into two songs. “Wings for Marie (Pt 1)” and “10,000 Days (Wings Pt 2)” initially felt unassuming, overlong and without pay-off, but subsequent listens have revealed its true nature as an incredibly subtle, intricate, highly personal epic. The song is about the recent death and ascension to heaven of Maynard’s mother (who suffered a stroke and partial paralysis 27 years before her death), and this achingly moving and beautiful song has the delicate, introspective nature that the subject matter would suggest. The song weaves, twirls and builds tension in painstaking slowness and glorious anticipation, but rather than peaking and exploding into the expected snarling outburst, reaches a massive emotional climax juxtaposed by a musical anti-climax with Maynard singing “Ten thousand days in the fire is long enough, you’re going home”. It’s absolutely chilling. And even when the band does eventually shift into the song’s lone “heavy” (it sounds so silly to describe it that way given context) section, they maintain a more restrained and respectful element. This is a gorgeous and true jaw-dropping epic. The introspective, personal, and even spiritual vibe is a theme that continues to crop up again, along with a passive (or at least puzzled) observation of the declination of society. “Lipan Conjuring”, one the patented Tool interludes (three are offered this time around), consists of spiritual sounding Native American chanting, while “Right in Two” describes the angels watching from the sidelines in shock and wonder as mankind uses its freewill to destroy itself (taking what is one, and enough, and dividing it right in two). “Vicarious” is an indictment of vampire-like mainlined media exposure to sensationalized death and tragedy. There’s even the story of a “chosen one”/high school dropout who wanders into an ER during the interlude track “Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman)”, then on the subsequent “Rosetta Stoned” tells his story. While in the throws of a bad acid trip thinks he’s been abducted by aliens who have given him a warning about the end of man, but to his dismay he’s too fucked up to write it down to relay the message to mankind.

The vocals on 10,000 Days are frequently slightly less prominent than usual and occasionally use atypical approaches. Maynard’s megaphone, machine gun, LSD rantings at the beginning of the twisted and fantastic “Rosetta Stoned” are a prime example. The a cappella intro of “The Pot” is grating initially, but suits the song, and Maynard soon after resumes a more usual approach. The bass heavy track is a “who the hell are you to tell me” track reminiscent of “Hooker with a Penis”. Once you become more familiar with the album it feels like a natural and logical step for Tool, and unless you’re of the opinion that the band needlessly stretches things out these days, you’ll find yourself up to your neck in everything you love about Tool. Some of the ideas and presentation are different, but the language of it remains the same. The back breaking syncopated riffing, odd time signatures, obscenely talented and unique drumming, complex and winding compositions, and a spectacularly talented voice continue to combine to deliver mind-bendingly satisfying and addictive heavy music of the highest quality. With all the talk of “Meshuggah influence”, I expected more aggressive and explicitly heavy tracks. Given the marathon “Wings” duo and the serene “Intension”, as well as interludes and quieter portions of other tracks (especially “Right in Two”), a large portion of 10,000 Days’ 76 minutes consists of quieter and slower material. Just don’t mistake that for a lack of intensity. There are moments along the way that conjure allusions to earlier times—the sound and role of “Intension” bears a similarity to “Disposition”, the familiar nature of “The Pot” has already been discussed, and “Vicarious” and “Jambi” could be a blend of the last two albums. Other glimpses emerge and disappear. But overall, 10,000 Days is different enough to raise an initial clamor of disappointment, familiar enough to be a long-craved comfort, and powerful enough to transcend both of those things to become something all its own. Fantastic.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Volrath's Avatar Volrath
05-09-2006, 06:18 AM

I love it when reviewers know what they are talking about. Nice find.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:18 AM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 2641
Re: Best. Review. PERIOD.

05-09-2006, 06:21 AM

i endorse that review
Old 05-09-2006, 06:21 AM   #3
the inside man

Bincount™: 20548

i endorse that review
05-09-2006, 06:27 AM

Wow. Very good. He can put what I felt into words. Excellent.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:27 AM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 7

Wow. Very good. He can put what I felt into words. Excellent.
05-09-2006, 06:34 AM

Wow... wow.

Couldn't have said that better myself...
Old 05-09-2006, 06:34 AM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

Wow... wow.

Couldn't have said that better myself...
xlc210
05-09-2006, 06:37 AM

That is a very thorough review. Some of his interpretations are a bit shallow, but this is by far the best review in the sense that the writer spun the disk a few times before jumping to conclusions.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:37 AM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

That is a very thorough review. Some of his interpretations are a bit shallow, but this is by far the best review in the sense that the writer spun the disk a few times before jumping to conclusions.
HolyReality's Avatar HolyReality
05-09-2006, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volrath
agreed. good article.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:48 AM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
agreed. good article.
devouredinchaos
05-09-2006, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlc210
EXACTLY what I thought.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:00 AM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlc210
EXACTLY what I thought.
anfisechka's Avatar anfisechka
05-09-2006, 07:30 AM

Awesome -- I felt almost the same way the first time I heard it. I also agree that first impressions aren't worth shit.

"Keep listening and things become clearer."

Beautiful.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:30 AM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Awesome -- I felt almost the same way the first time I heard it. I also agree that first impressions aren't worth shit.

"Keep listening and things become clearer."

Beautiful.
TooL_TiM413
05-09-2006, 07:38 AM

Good Good...
Old 05-09-2006, 07:38 AM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Good Good...
perhan
05-09-2006, 07:42 AM

very well written. even thoe i dont agree with most of what he said.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:42 AM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

very well written. even thoe i dont agree with most of what he said.
yasoon
05-09-2006, 07:42 AM

Hats off to this dude.

If I listened to an entire Hoobastank song twice....would I understand the depth of their compositions......
Old 05-09-2006, 07:42 AM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

Hats off to this dude.

If I listened to an entire Hoobastank song twice....would I understand the depth of their compositions......
hbynoe's Avatar hbynoe
05-09-2006, 07:56 AM

forgetting previous notions..and giving it an honest multiple listens is a good thing :)
Old 05-09-2006, 07:56 AM   #13
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

forgetting previous notions..and giving it an honest multiple listens is a good thing :)
05-09-2006, 08:00 AM

That is a good review.

Exactly the way that I felt during my many listens to this album.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 15

That is a good review.

Exactly the way that I felt during my many listens to this album.
05-09-2006, 08:01 AM

I agree...the more I listen to this album, the better it gets. But there's still something I feel is either missing, or I'm just missing it. But what a great fuckin' album.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:01 AM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

I agree...the more I listen to this album, the better it gets. But there's still something I feel is either missing, or I'm just missing it. But what a great fuckin' album.
jimbobvaquero's Avatar jimbobvaquero
05-09-2006, 08:01 AM

are you sure Tyson didn't write it?

And a little Heaven spent, While the Hell I'm taking.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:01 AM   #16
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 515

are you sure Tyson didn't write it?

And a little Heaven spent, While the Hell I'm taking.
Aggroculture's Avatar Aggroculture
05-09-2006, 08:31 AM

Yeah...Mike Tyson should review the new Tool record.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:31 AM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

Yeah...Mike Tyson should review the new Tool record.
Kobi
05-09-2006, 08:40 AM

Very nice review. Seems like this guy knows what he's talking about. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:40 AM   #18
Level 2 - Poster

Very nice review. Seems like this guy knows what he's talking about. Thanks for sharing.
JAG
05-09-2006, 09:10 AM

This guy took the words right out of my mouth. Great Review
Old 05-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #19
JAG
Level 4 - Thinker

This guy took the words right out of my mouth. Great Review
Aggroculture's Avatar Aggroculture
05-09-2006, 09:11 AM

Meat Loaf stylee!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:11 AM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

Meat Loaf stylee!
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-09-2006, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggroculture
Meat Loaf stylee!

Hot patootie, BLESS MY SOUL.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:13 AM   #21
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggroculture
Meat Loaf stylee!

Hot patootie, BLESS MY SOUL.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
evilprimeval
05-09-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser
What might be "missing" is the transcendental magic.
It's a very sad album, full of anger and disillusion.
It drags the listener through all of it and leaves him there.
It's painful to listen to... and I love it.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:50 AM   #22

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser
What might be "missing" is the transcendental magic.
It's a very sad album, full of anger and disillusion.
It drags the listener through all of it and leaves him there.
It's painful to listen to... and I love it.
Kinesthesis's Avatar Kinesthesis
05-09-2006, 10:49 AM

Solid goodness. All it takes is time for the album to naturally absorb and function properly.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:49 AM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Solid goodness. All it takes is time for the album to naturally absorb and function properly.
05-09-2006, 10:53 AM

the only problem with that review is it glosses over the fact that the album isn't very good.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:53 AM   #24
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

the only problem with that review is it glosses over the fact that the album isn't very good.
05-09-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfimportanttoolfan
Old 05-09-2006, 10:57 AM   #25
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-09-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:57 AM   #26
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Sine Nobilitas's Avatar Sine Nobilitas
05-09-2006, 11:27 AM

oberon
Old 05-09-2006, 11:27 AM   #27
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 2025

oberon
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-09-2006, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine Nobilitas
oberon
yes?

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:27 AM   #28
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine Nobilitas
oberon
yes?

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Volrath's Avatar Volrath
05-09-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
It's hard to take you seriously with your username and all...
Old 05-09-2006, 11:28 AM   #29
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 2641

Quote:
05-09-2006, 12:01 PM

I liked this review, but mine was better.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:01 PM   #30
Banned.

Bincount™: 3710

selfimportanttoolfan
05-09-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
a rose by any other name would still smell just as sweet
Old 05-09-2006, 12:32 PM   #31
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-09-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Not "This flower raped your mother and you should always remember that". I think that would influence the enjoyability of the flower, somewhat.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:41 PM   #32
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

Not "This flower raped your mother and you should always remember that". I think that would influence the enjoyability of the flower, somewhat.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
jakethesnake
05-09-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Except a rose isn't called a narcissist.

If it was then this would be pertinent.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:41 PM   #33
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

selfimportanttoolfan
05-09-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake

get a clue
Old 05-09-2006, 12:42 PM   #34
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake

get a clue
05-09-2006, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
your avatar makes me laugh...
Old 05-09-2006, 12:49 PM   #35

Bincount™: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
your avatar makes me laugh...
Squishy's Avatar Squishy
05-09-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devouredinchaos
From metalreview.com, about the title track:

...subsequent listens have revealed its true nature as an incredibly subtle, intricate, highly personal epic ... this achingly moving and beautiful song has the delicate, introspective nature that the subject matter would suggest. The song weaves, twirls and builds tension in painstaking slowness and glorious anticipation ... This is a gorgeous and true jaw-dropping epic.
RIGHT ON, CHAMP!

...rosetta stoned still sucks though...
Old 05-09-2006, 02:03 PM   #36
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by devouredinchaos
From metalreview.com, about the title track:

...subsequent listens have revealed its true nature as an incredibly subtle, intricate, highly personal epic ... this achingly moving and beautiful song has the delicate, introspective nature that the subject matter would suggest. The song weaves, twirls and builds tension in painstaking slowness and glorious anticipation ... This is a gorgeous and true jaw-dropping epic.
RIGHT ON, CHAMP!

...rosetta stoned still sucks though...
Eminor
05-09-2006, 05:21 PM

I wrote this review. Thanks for checking it out and for the comments. Regardless of whether or not you agree with the review, I'm glad some of you think I did a decent job of covering the album. I'll agree that "some of the interpretations are a bit shallow", and I regret that I didn't have more time with the album before having to write the review--it was published several days ago. Like I said, over time things become clearer, and I look forward to that. Can't wait for them to hit the road...
Old 05-09-2006, 05:21 PM   #37
Level 1 - Lurker

I wrote this review. Thanks for checking it out and for the comments. Regardless of whether or not you agree with the review, I'm glad some of you think I did a decent job of covering the album. I'll agree that "some of the interpretations are a bit shallow", and I regret that I didn't have more time with the album before having to write the review--it was published several days ago. Like I said, over time things become clearer, and I look forward to that. Can't wait for them to hit the road...
CelestialRender
05-09-2006, 05:38 PM

Excellent review. I especially like the fact that he gave us a heads-up on his personal Tool preferences at the start, as that can have a huge impact on what he's gonna think of the album.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:38 PM   #38
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Excellent review. I especially like the fact that he gave us a heads-up on his personal Tool preferences at the start, as that can have a huge impact on what he's gonna think of the album.
05-09-2006, 07:07 PM

it does make a difference when you're a tool fanboi, no?
Old 05-09-2006, 07:07 PM   #39
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Location: UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE IMO
Bincount™: 8627

it does make a difference when you're a tool fanboi, no?
05-09-2006, 07:16 PM

That is a good fucking review. Period.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:16 PM   #40
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

That is a good fucking review. Period.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply