Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 03. Wings for Marie
User Name
Password
lateralus0
05-12-2006, 11:12 AM

Theres a part right at 1:43 that really reminds me of the X-Files theme song?
Old 05-12-2006, 11:12 AM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
X-Files theme?

Theres a part right at 1:43 that really reminds me of the X-Files theme song?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
greg vs greg
05-12-2006, 01:22 PM

Agreed. This was my first thought upon hearing it for the first time. It's just a riff that happens to be very similar to the x-files theme. It's not exact. But it gives it a very eery, supernatural feeling, IMO.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
Level 3 - Talker

Re: X-Files theme?

Agreed. This was my first thought upon hearing it for the first time. It's just a riff that happens to be very similar to the x-files theme. It's not exact. But it gives it a very eery, supernatural feeling, IMO.
lagrima
05-14-2006, 10:36 AM

yes zyon almost like the matrix !
Old 05-14-2006, 10:36 AM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

yes zyon almost like the matrix !
s ti N Kfizt's Avatar s ti N Kfizt
05-15-2006, 04:36 AM

i can't hear it, i'll try again with headphones though.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:36 AM   #4
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 706

i can't hear it, i'll try again with headphones though.
beyond's Avatar beyond
05-18-2006, 02:35 PM

When my girlfriend first listened to it, she said the same thing.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

When my girlfriend first listened to it, she said the same thing.
05-18-2006, 06:21 PM

Yeah, I had the same thought as well. A little foreshadowing before Rosetta Stoned, maybe?
Old 05-18-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

Yeah, I had the same thought as well. A little foreshadowing before Rosetta Stoned, maybe?
05-19-2006, 01:26 AM

That didnt come to mind untill you brought it up, I can see what you mean, but still i dont think so all that much.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:26 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

That didnt come to mind untill you brought it up, I can see what you mean, but still i dont think so all that much.
05-21-2006, 03:33 AM

Musical coincidence.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:33 AM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

Musical coincidence.
06-03-2006, 03:53 AM

I think not.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:53 AM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

I think not.
kyyuulle's Avatar kyyuulle
06-06-2006, 01:55 PM

definitely not a coincidence
Old 06-06-2006, 01:55 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 37

Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
06-06-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyyuulle
QFT
Old 06-06-2006, 02:28 PM   #11
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyyuulle
QFT
reordian
06-09-2006, 01:33 AM

It is there, actually it appears twice - first at 1:39 into the song and then again at 1:59 into the song.
It is an exact reverberation of the X-FILES theme. Definitely on purpose.

If Im not mistaken, an author may use up to 2 bars of any copyrighted piece of music without having to credit the original author or pay royalties.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:33 AM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

It is there, actually it appears twice - first at 1:39 into the song and then again at 1:59 into the song.
It is an exact reverberation of the X-FILES theme. Definitely on purpose.

If Im not mistaken, an author may use up to 2 bars of any copyrighted piece of music without having to credit the original author or pay royalties.
STORMCROW1031's Avatar STORMCROW1031
06-09-2006, 06:57 AM

Yes! I hear it! On purpose or by accident it adds to the songs sense of mystery, reflection.
"The Truth is Out There"!
Old 06-09-2006, 06:57 AM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Yes! I hear it! On purpose or by accident it adds to the songs sense of mystery, reflection.
"The Truth is Out There"!
06-09-2006, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicarious_Lee
Lolf,
Old 06-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #14
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicarious_Lee
Lolf,
Luosdasa's Avatar Luosdasa
06-10-2006, 06:54 PM

coincydink
Old 06-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104

coincydink
Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
06-11-2006, 01:21 PM

In my opinion, you're retarded for not realising it's the exact 6 note sequence.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #16
Level 9 - Obstreperous

In my opinion, you're retarded for not realising it's the exact 6 note sequence.
nighthawk's Avatar nighthawk
06-11-2006, 01:22 PM

Sounds alike but it's not the same, and if it is the same I'm sure that is a coincidence.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:22 PM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

Sounds alike but it's not the same, and if it is the same I'm sure that is a coincidence.
06-11-2006, 01:25 PM

It's the same. I'd transcribe it but I have a feeling the people that the transcription would mean anything too are already aware it's the same 6 notes.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #18
Level 9 - Obstreperous

It's the same. I'd transcribe it but I have a feeling the people that the transcription would mean anything too are already aware it's the same 6 notes.
Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
06-11-2006, 03:47 PM

Well, for a start, I didn't have to look for this similarity. It's so similar I heard it without trying.

Secondly, it's not an effect, it's 6 notes. The melody from the x-files theme that is whistled, and typifies the x-files theme. It might not be in the same key, but it's the same sequence of notes in the same rhythm.

You must be talking about a completely different section because what you've just described isn't what is in the song.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #19
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Well, for a start, I didn't have to look for this similarity. It's so similar I heard it without trying.

Secondly, it's not an effect, it's 6 notes. The melody from the x-files theme that is whistled, and typifies the x-files theme. It might not be in the same key, but it's the same sequence of notes in the same rhythm.

You must be talking about a completely different section because what you've just described isn't what is in the song.
Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
06-11-2006, 04:29 PM

Well, I've put a little compilation together. No doubt you'll jump on this and go OMG THE FACT YOU HAD TO DO THAT PROOVES IT'S NOT DELIBERATE. I'm just doing it to show how similar it is.

I couldn't find a good quality version of the theme, so there's a very bad quality version of it, then a midi file of it I found, then the part we're talking about. Turns out it's conveniently in the right key (well almost :P).

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...52C52B6B615021

Same notes, same rhythm, tbh. If it is coincidence, Tool are as deaf as you lot!
Old 06-11-2006, 04:29 PM   #20
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Well, I've put a little compilation together. No doubt you'll jump on this and go OMG THE FACT YOU HAD TO DO THAT PROOVES IT'S NOT DELIBERATE. I'm just doing it to show how similar it is.

I couldn't find a good quality version of the theme, so there's a very bad quality version of it, then a midi file of it I found, then the part we're talking about. Turns out it's conveniently in the right key (well almost :P).

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...52C52B6B615021

Same notes, same rhythm, tbh. If it is coincidence, Tool are as deaf as you lot!
Jimmeny's Avatar Jimmeny
06-11-2006, 06:00 PM

I can't quite work out if you're for real or not, but unfortunately, I think you are.

I'm not a troll. I'm also not suggesting it's definately intentional, but, as I said, if it isn't intentional, Tool are deaf. The x-files has become such a culturally relevent and recognisable piece of media, you hear the theme tune parodied whenever some spooky story is talked about. People say 'it's like something out of the xfiles.', and Tool even say that in Rosetta Stoned. This, coupled with it being so similar to the theme, makes me believe it could well be intentional. I can never say for definate, of course.

I don't know what's hilarious about the link. ok, so the quality isn't great, and midi files are always funny, but what it does show is that it's the same notes, same key, same rhythm... which is exactly what you've been disputing.

I'm not looking for it, and I'm not a lunatic.. I have a particularly phonographic memory and the xfiles theme is the first thing that popped into my head, the minute I heard that riff.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #21
Level 9 - Obstreperous

I can't quite work out if you're for real or not, but unfortunately, I think you are.

I'm not a troll. I'm also not suggesting it's definately intentional, but, as I said, if it isn't intentional, Tool are deaf. The x-files has become such a culturally relevent and recognisable piece of media, you hear the theme tune parodied whenever some spooky story is talked about. People say 'it's like something out of the xfiles.', and Tool even say that in Rosetta Stoned. This, coupled with it being so similar to the theme, makes me believe it could well be intentional. I can never say for definate, of course.

I don't know what's hilarious about the link. ok, so the quality isn't great, and midi files are always funny, but what it does show is that it's the same notes, same key, same rhythm... which is exactly what you've been disputing.

I'm not looking for it, and I'm not a lunatic.. I have a particularly phonographic memory and the xfiles theme is the first thing that popped into my head, the minute I heard that riff.
Carbonatedgravy
06-11-2006, 06:34 PM

I found the file hilarious too but for a different reason. There was something passively insulting about it. First, the two versions of the theme play and then the Wings for Marie part comes up. Mildly funny because it's so obvious. Then the versions play again, this time cut down to only the relevant notes, I guess for the more mentally challenged listener. By the third time it really felt like the point was being shoved down my throat, and considering the other posts you made, it was a fun juxtaposition.

EDIT: ...But I still don't think it was intentional.

Last edited by Carbonatedgravy; 06-11-2006 at 06:36 PM..
Old 06-11-2006, 06:34 PM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 10

I found the file hilarious too but for a different reason. There was something passively insulting about it. First, the two versions of the theme play and then the Wings for Marie part comes up. Mildly funny because it's so obvious. Then the versions play again, this time cut down to only the relevant notes, I guess for the more mentally challenged listener. By the third time it really felt like the point was being shoved down my throat, and considering the other posts you made, it was a fun juxtaposition.

EDIT: ...But I still don't think it was intentional.

Last edited by Carbonatedgravy; 06-11-2006 at 06:36 PM..
swampyfool's Avatar swampyfool
06-11-2006, 10:35 PM

Personally, I gotta agree with the leef (and subsequently with the spleaf). It is entirely incidental. That sequence of notes is not unique, and I'm sure if you spent enough time looking for it, you could find dozens of instances of it- if not hundreds- throughout the spectrum of music. However, the other necessary componenent of the argument that this is intentional placement has not really been adequately addressed- thematics.

There has been the suggestion that this would "add mystery" to the song. But it seems to me that the inclusion of sci-fi TV show reference within a eulogy to Maynard's mother would be a quirky non-sequitor that would sorta defeat the somber nature of such an undertaking; rather than provide layering of mystique.

As for the suggestion that such an alleged, intentional placement might be connected, in any way, to Rosetta Stoned, I really think that this is making quite a reach. There can be arguments made connecting songs on this album to one another (Lost Keys to Rosetta Stoned, Intension to Right In Two, even LK/RS to Intension/RIT, or Jambi to Right In Two), but Wings For Marie/10,000 Days stand apart from the rest of this album- and even apart from any work that Tool and Maynard have ever done (excepting Jimmy or Judith- though to lesser emotional degrees). Regardless, WFM/10KD certainly cannot be viewed on a level comiserate with a song about a particularly intense acid trip- the songs are just irreconcilably skewed in terms of perspective. These songs are in direct corrolation with a very serious, very personal tragedy that has shaped the perspective of their author, and not to be trivialized by pop-culture.
But I'll pull through
Old 06-11-2006, 10:35 PM   #23
Ron Swampson

Bincount™: 5576

Personally, I gotta agree with the leef (and subsequently with the spleaf). It is entirely incidental. That sequence of notes is not unique, and I'm sure if you spent enough time looking for it, you could find dozens of instances of it- if not hundreds- throughout the spectrum of music. However, the other necessary componenent of the argument that this is intentional placement has not really been adequately addressed- thematics.

There has been the suggestion that this would "add mystery" to the song. But it seems to me that the inclusion of sci-fi TV show reference within a eulogy to Maynard's mother would be a quirky non-sequitor that would sorta defeat the somber nature of such an undertaking; rather than provide layering of mystique.

As for the suggestion that such an alleged, intentional placement might be connected, in any way, to Rosetta Stoned, I really think that this is making quite a reach. There can be arguments made connecting songs on this album to one another (Lost Keys to Rosetta Stoned, Intension to Right In Two, even LK/RS to Intension/RIT, or Jambi to Right In Two), but Wings For Marie/10,000 Days stand apart from the rest of this album- and even apart from any work that Tool and Maynard have ever done (excepting Jimmy or Judith- though to lesser emotional degrees). Regardless, WFM/10KD certainly cannot be viewed on a level comiserate with a song about a particularly intense acid trip- the songs are just irreconcilably skewed in terms of perspective. These songs are in direct corrolation with a very serious, very personal tragedy that has shaped the perspective of their author, and not to be trivialized by pop-culture.
But I'll pull through
eyedriht
01-30-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeny View Post

Yeah.. everytime I hear that riff I think of it... these ppl are in denial : }
Old 01-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #24
Banned.

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeny View Post

Yeah.. everytime I hear that riff I think of it... these ppl are in denial : }
blake_bergeron
03-11-2008, 06:53 AM

this is so obviously part of the xfiles theme... and haven't we all learned that there is nothing accidental with tool... so there's the xfiles sounding riff in wings and then maynard actually says 'then the XFILES being' in rosetta stoned... i seriously doubt it's coincidence... but that's just me...
Old 03-11-2008, 06:53 AM   #25

Bincount™: 58

this is so obviously part of the xfiles theme... and haven't we all learned that there is nothing accidental with tool... so there's the xfiles sounding riff in wings and then maynard actually says 'then the XFILES being' in rosetta stoned... i seriously doubt it's coincidence... but that's just me...
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
03-14-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake_bergeron View Post
^Supported^

Extraterrestrial life has always been a returning concept.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #26
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
^Supported^

03-14-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
^Supported^

even on faaip de oiad... the guy and area 51... it sounds pretty genuine to me... i listened to the actual call this guy put in to the art bell show and even art was tripped out by it... i mean if there are people out there who still don't believe in extra terrestrials, than they are regrettably in the dark... because when a very apparent truth comes out about it, those non believers won't be able to handle themselves...
Old 03-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #27

Bincount™: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
^Supported^

even on faaip de oiad... the guy and area 51... it sounds pretty genuine to me... i listened to the actual call this guy put in to the art bell show and even art was tripped out by it... i mean if there are people out there who still don't believe in extra terrestrials, than they are regrettably in the dark... because when a very apparent truth comes out about it, those non believers won't be able to handle themselves...
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
03-18-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I'm reflecting the extraterrestrial to religion here. Maybe you want to participate?
Old 03-18-2008, 02:25 PM   #28
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635

Quote:
I'm reflecting the extraterrestrial to religion here. Maybe you want to participate?
09-14-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurok View Post
Is Marie a fallen angel, the magician in "Jambi"?
She might have told a lie.. line is what is supposed to explain to all those ghouls, until the day ends!
What goes down, must come up?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #29
On Probation

Bincount™: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurok View Post
Is Marie a fallen angel, the magician in "Jambi"?
She might have told a lie.. line is what is supposed to explain to all those ghouls, until the day ends!
What goes down, must come up?
mcnadd's Avatar mcnadd
09-15-2012, 01:59 PM

the intro to lateralus is so close to the x files theme its not funny
Old 09-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #30
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

the intro to lateralus is so close to the x files theme its not funny
infinitee's Avatar infinitee
09-15-2012, 08:41 PM

Maynard sounds EXACTLY like alfred hitchcock in the beginning of rosetta stoned.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #31
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1385

Maynard sounds EXACTLY like alfred hitchcock in the beginning of rosetta stoned.
dancingflame
10-15-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampyfool View Post
That sequence of notes is not unique, and I'm sure if you spent enough time looking for it, you could find dozens of instances of it- if not hundreds- throughout the spectrum of music.
millions (with different pitches and tempo of course).

Last edited by dancingflame; 10-15-2012 at 06:14 AM..
Old 10-15-2012, 06:11 AM   #32
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampyfool View Post
That sequence of notes is not unique, and I'm sure if you spent enough time looking for it, you could find dozens of instances of it- if not hundreds- throughout the spectrum of music.
millions (with different pitches and tempo of course).

Last edited by dancingflame; 10-15-2012 at 06:14 AM..

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply