Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 03. Wings for Marie
User Name
Password
Koan's Avatar Koan
05-12-2006, 08:41 AM

Yes, I certainly picked up on the similarities. David Gilmour's singing and guitar playing is mostly in a slow, flow of sound kind of style, not unlike Wings For Mary. Adam's guitar playing is like that too in this song. It really is a sweeping, emotional soundscape. For Tool to reach such a level of finnese is excellent. This band just keeps evolving.
there was no craddle I can taste it!"
Old 05-12-2006, 08:41 AM   #41
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6
Re: pink floyd

Yes, I certainly picked up on the similarities. David Gilmour's singing and guitar playing is mostly in a slow, flow of sound kind of style, not unlike Wings For Mary. Adam's guitar playing is like that too in this song. It really is a sweeping, emotional soundscape. For Tool to reach such a level of finnese is excellent. This band just keeps evolving.
there was no craddle I can taste it!"
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
quasiperiodica
05-13-2006, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremin_scape
echoes come to mind for anyone else?

Definately based on the very beginning, the super slow rhythm. Of course, Echoes has the echoing of a submarine underwater because that's the atmosphere they're trying to create with Echoes, u can tell also cuz the cover of Meddle looks like you're on the bottom of the ocean.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #42
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremin_scape
echoes come to mind for anyone else?

Definately based on the very beginning, the super slow rhythm. Of course, Echoes has the echoing of a submarine underwater because that's the atmosphere they're trying to create with Echoes, u can tell also cuz the cover of Meddle looks like you're on the bottom of the ocean.
05-24-2006, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrunzset
I said it was their Echoes first. =P

Ever since hearing Echoes for the first time, I always thought Tool should cover it.
Seen echoes with 2001: A space oddesey?
Old 05-24-2006, 07:32 AM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrunzset
I said it was their Echoes first. =P

Ever since hearing Echoes for the first time, I always thought Tool should cover it.
Seen echoes with 2001: A space oddesey?
swampyfool's Avatar swampyfool
05-24-2006, 11:39 AM

One of these days I'm gonna dance with the little piggies . . .

Definite Pink Floyd influences on this album. The bass under the second stanza of "Jambi" is reminiscent of that notorious theme and variation from "The Wall." Any of you (early) Floyd fans into (early) King Crimson? I've often thought that songs like "21st Century Schizoid Man, Pictures of a City . . ., Cirkus and Mars, et al . . . were influencial to Tool's composition and theory. But this album shows that Tool has also been influenced by other Crimson tracks like Epitaph, or In the Court of the Crimson King. And seriously, if you are a fan of Pink Floyd's work (particularly the early and obscure stuff) and you have never heard of King Crimson, then you ought to avail yourself.
But I'll pull through
Old 05-24-2006, 11:39 AM   #44
Ron Swampson

Bincount™: 5576

Definite Pink Floyd influences on this album. The bass under the second stanza of "Jambi" is reminiscent of that notorious theme and variation from "The Wall." Any of you (early) Floyd fans into (early) King Crimson? I've often thought that songs like "21st Century Schizoid Man, Pictures of a City . . ., Cirkus and Mars, et al . . . were influencial to Tool's composition and theory. But this album shows that Tool has also been influenced by other Crimson tracks like Epitaph, or In the Court of the Crimson King. And seriously, if you are a fan of Pink Floyd's work (particularly the early and obscure stuff) and you have never heard of King Crimson, then you ought to avail yourself.
But I'll pull through
06-14-2006, 05:42 AM

"I think if you were to sit down and really investigate all religions, you would see that not believing we are all connected by some symbiotic relationship with a higher power, is ridiculous.".You complete twat. You don't even know what "symbiotic" means.....you eukryote.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:42 AM   #45
Level 2 - Poster

"I think if you were to sit down and really investigate all religions, you would see that not believing we are all connected by some symbiotic relationship with a higher power, is ridiculous.".You complete twat. You don't even know what "symbiotic" means.....you eukryote.
06-14-2006, 05:48 AM

ps....I doubt that TOOL would give credance or give an f about anything Pink Floyd had done> Who are Pink Floyd anyway? Sounds like a gay aussie/pommie boy band to me.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:48 AM   #46
Level 2 - Poster

ps....I doubt that TOOL would give credance or give an f about anything Pink Floyd had done> Who are Pink Floyd anyway? Sounds like a gay aussie/pommie boy band to me.
06-14-2006, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110464
Dude, that's rediculous. If you can't see the similar pathways of these two bands then you just might be retarded. I assume that you are applying sarcasm in your implication that you've never heard of Floyd, but seriously dude . . . The delayed bass riff under the second stanza of Jambi is a blatant homage to and variation on the bass riffs from "The Wall." The meandering style and tempo of WFM/10KD are so on par with the more epic works of Pink Floyd. Why do you want to be ignorant?
But I'll pull through
Old 06-14-2006, 07:26 AM   #47
Ron Swampson

Quote:
Dude, that's rediculous. If you can't see the similar pathways of these two bands then you just might be retarded. I assume that you are applying sarcasm in your implication that you've never heard of Floyd, but seriously dude . . . The delayed bass riff under the second stanza of Jambi is a blatant homage to and variation on the bass riffs from "The Wall." The meandering style and tempo of WFM/10KD are so on par with the more epic works of Pink Floyd. Why do you want to be ignorant?
But I'll pull through
bellamadia's Avatar bellamadia
06-14-2006, 08:20 AM

Quote:
You make it hard for me not to be a bitch.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:20 AM   #48
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
You make it hard for me not to be a bitch.
davelisowski's Avatar davelisowski
06-14-2006, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessfullyPriedOpen

There's no doubt in my mind that King Crimson influenced Tool. Pink Floyd did as well. Yes did too. There might be a theme here... I'm thinking "progressive" rock bands.

I'll agree. If you like Floyd, listen to some Crimson. Great stuff.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:58 AM   #49
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessfullyPriedOpen

There's no doubt in my mind that King Crimson influenced Tool. Pink Floyd did as well. Yes did too. There might be a theme here... I'm thinking "progressive" rock bands.

I'll agree. If you like Floyd, listen to some Crimson. Great stuff.
Gnome_Chomsky's Avatar Gnome_Chomsky
06-14-2006, 09:45 AM

Im just getting into crimson, Ive got Red and In the court... What album should I get next?

http://www.last.fm/user/DanRisinger
Old 06-14-2006, 09:45 AM   #50
Formerly DJR
Suicide Booth ID: 11

Bincount™: 4398

Im just getting into crimson, Ive got Red and In the court... What album should I get next?

06-14-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR
As far as early Crimson, try "In the Wake of Poseidon," "Starless and Bible Black," and "Lizard." The best of the more recent stuff (in my opinion) is "THRAK," but you should look into the live stuff. In an (unsuccessful) effort to eliminate bootlegging, the King began releasing soundboard recordings of shows (there's a really good one from Buenos Aires- though I lost it and the name escapes me). Also in the live department, look for the "Epitaph" and "Projeckts" boxed sets- that shit is fucking killer. Happy listening.
But I'll pull through
Old 06-14-2006, 12:07 PM   #51
Ron Swampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR
As far as early Crimson, try "In the Wake of Poseidon," "Starless and Bible Black," and "Lizard." The best of the more recent stuff (in my opinion) is "THRAK," but you should look into the live stuff. In an (unsuccessful) effort to eliminate bootlegging, the King began releasing soundboard recordings of shows (there's a really good one from Buenos Aires- though I lost it and the name escapes me). Also in the live department, look for the "Epitaph" and "Projeckts" boxed sets- that shit is fucking killer. Happy listening.
But I'll pull through
Gnome_Chomsky's Avatar Gnome_Chomsky
06-14-2006, 12:20 PM

alright thanks.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:20 PM   #52
Formerly DJR
Suicide Booth ID: 11

Bincount™: 4398

alright thanks.

Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
01-23-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gift View Post
Shine on You Crazy Diamond
Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
You were caught on the crossfire of childhood and stardom, blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter, come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr,
and shine!

You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.
Well you wore out your welcome with random precision, rode on the steel breeze.
Come on you raver, you seer of visions, come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner,
and shine!

Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far.
Pile on many more layers and I'll be joining you there.
And we'll bask in the shadow of yesterday's triumph, and sail on the steel breeze.
Come on you boy child, you winner and loser, come on you miner for truth and delusion,
and shine!
Yes, I do belive very similar. I will go read the other parts.
Ya' know, I've heard the song a ton of times and never really stopped to pay attention to all the words and have never read them either. Those are actually some great lyrics.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:29 AM   #53
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Shine on You Crazy Diamond
Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
You were caught on the crossfire of childhood and stardom, blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter, come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr,
and shine!

You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.
Well you wore out your welcome with random precision, rode on the steel breeze.
Come on you raver, you seer of visions, come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner,
and shine!

Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far.
Pile on many more layers and I'll be joining you there.
And we'll bask in the shadow of yesterday's triumph, and sail on the steel breeze.
Come on you boy child, you winner and loser, come on you miner for truth and delusion,
and shine!
Yes, I do belive very similar. I will go read the other parts.
Ya' know, I've heard the song a ton of times and never really stopped to pay attention to all the words and have never read them either. Those are actually some great lyrics.
02-06-2009, 10:25 PM

Pink Floyd had the exact same mysteria about them. No one knew much about them. They were truly about the music, and not a fucking image.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #54
Level 3 - Talker

Pink Floyd had the exact same mysteria about them. No one knew much about them. They were truly about the music, and not a fucking image.
PRYING OPEN MY THRID EYE
02-09-2009, 08:42 AM

Alright Dick, maybe you are the one who needs to activate that brain, and realize that tool is the led zeppelin of the generation. A band with a huge cult following, a mysterious guitarist who dipped into black magic, (opposite the norm) long progressive songs, and rare tours in the US. But hey I'm pretty sure you knew that already....right?
Old 02-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #55
Level 3 - Talker

Alright Dick, maybe you are the one who needs to activate that brain, and realize that tool is the led zeppelin of the generation. A band with a huge cult following, a mysterious guitarist who dipped into black magic, (opposite the norm) long progressive songs, and rare tours in the US. But hey I'm pretty sure you knew that already....right?
PRYING OPEN MY THRID EYE
02-09-2009, 08:43 AM

where the fuck did zeppelin come from anyway
Old 02-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #56
Level 3 - Talker

where the fuck did zeppelin come from anyway
Yast3r's Avatar Yast3r
02-09-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRYING OPEN MY THRID EYE View Post

Does anyone know the meaning of cult following anymore?

A mysterious guitarist who dipped into black magic? Really?

Rare tours in the US? They tour for quite a while when they release material.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #57
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRYING OPEN MY THRID EYE View Post

Does anyone know the meaning of cult following anymore?

A mysterious guitarist who dipped into black magic? Really?

Rare tours in the US? They tour for quite a while when they release material.
Yast3r's Avatar Yast3r
02-09-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
Saying that Tool has a cult following is like saying that the Holocaust was a "small goof".

Adam Jones isn't mysterious, he's just utterly unremarkable. We don't know much about him because honestly most of us don't care to know. All he does is make special effects, play guitar lines of debatable quality, and stand on stage like an autistic kid all damn night.
He's kind of the retarded guy who follows you around work. You don't hate him, but you don't really give a shit about what he has to say and don't really feel as though he is contributing as much as the rest of the team.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #58
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 480

Quote:
Saying that Tool has a cult following is like saying that the Holocaust was a "small goof".

Adam Jones isn't mysterious, he's just utterly unremarkable. We don't know much about him because honestly most of us don't care to know. All he does is make special effects, play guitar lines of debatable quality, and stand on stage like an autistic kid all damn night.
He's kind of the retarded guy who follows you around work. You don't hate him, but you don't really give a shit about what he has to say and don't really feel as though he is contributing as much as the rest of the team.
theamazingtool's Avatar theamazingtool
02-10-2009, 07:01 AM

somebody shit on or around the coats!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:01 AM   #59
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 483

somebody shit on or around the coats!
02-10-2009, 11:25 AM

adam is jesus.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #60
Level 9 - Obstreperous

adam is jesus.
gonzo's Avatar gonzo
02-10-2009, 12:32 PM

Careful with that coatrack, Eugene.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #61
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1841

Careful with that coatrack, Eugene.
02-10-2009, 02:38 PM

Us vs. Them
Old 02-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #62
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Us vs. Them
02-11-2009, 04:45 AM

Yes, you do know them. It's...them. There.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:45 AM   #63
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Yes, you do know them. It's...them. There.
02-11-2009, 07:14 AM

led zeppelin's about broken hearts and joy.

tool is about anal fisting, rape, anger and death.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #64
Level 9 - Obstreperous

02-11-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
And I successfully changed the topic from Pink Floyd to Led Zep.

Go me.
its not a hard task around here to change the topic. ADD. including myself.

i think the harder task would be to sucessfully keep on topic.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #65
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
And I successfully changed the topic from Pink Floyd to Led Zep.

Go me.
its not a hard task around here to change the topic. ADD. including myself.

i think the harder task would be to sucessfully keep on topic.
02-11-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Are you kidding me? Robert Plant was the archetype for the "sexy rock singer". And the Song Remains the Same is all about how individual they could be in their segments of the film. Jimmy Page couldn't have been more of a whore for the public eye if he wore a red dress and spiked pumps. I mean Jesus... maybe use that third brain cell while trying to figure out what to post.
Perhaps, but ya' can't take anything away from the music. Pink Floyd was definitely a great band, regardless of them being attention whores or not.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #66
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Are you kidding me? Robert Plant was the archetype for the "sexy rock singer". And the Song Remains the Same is all about how individual they could be in their segments of the film. Jimmy Page couldn't have been more of a whore for the public eye if he wore a red dress and spiked pumps. I mean Jesus... maybe use that third brain cell while trying to figure out what to post.
Perhaps, but ya' can't take anything away from the music. Pink Floyd was definitely a great band, regardless of them being attention whores or not.
02-11-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
lol

Danny Carey is the occult drummer who created the rest of the band.
Spot on
Old 02-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #67
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
lol

Danny Carey is the occult drummer who created the rest of the band.
Spot on
02-11-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingtool View Post

lol, totally
Old 02-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #68
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingtool View Post

lol, totally
02-11-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Dude... seriously.
lol, what? You don't like Pink Floyd?
Old 02-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #69
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Dude... seriously.
lol, what? You don't like Pink Floyd?
02-11-2009, 12:28 PM

And so the song remains the same...
Old 02-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #70
Level 12 - Scurrilous

And so the song remains the same...
02-11-2009, 01:58 PM

I suppose so.....
Old 02-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #71
Level 12 - Scurrilous

I suppose so.....
02-11-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I was describing Led Zeppelin in that post.

To fuck with people.
i think i already gave a good enough description of zeppelin. refer to post #77.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #72
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
I was describing Led Zeppelin in that post.

To fuck with people.
i think i already gave a good enough description of zeppelin. refer to post #77.
RiseToYourHalo's Avatar RiseToYourHalo
02-11-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I make things fun!
QFT.

(sometimes it’s the same kind of fun my cat has when she’s tossing around a mouse on the tips of her claws.)

WB.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #73
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13

Quote:
I make things fun!
QFT.

(sometimes it’s the same kind of fun my cat has when she’s tossing around a mouse on the tips of her claws.)

WB.
02-11-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Who is them?
It’s obvious that the ‘them’ Waters is referring to are the several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a pict. You can’t trust them cute little fuckers. Just as they hook you with the groove of their unknown song, BAM! they turn around and yell “Hey you!” then bite you in the flesh. You definitely don’t want to wish you were there, but if one of these days you find yourself marooned in that cave due to one slip of young lust or brain damage, you better waste no time on the turning away and run like hell crying for your Mother.

Otherwise, you’ll scream thy last scream, say goodbye cruel world and learn to fly in interstellar overdrive to the Great Gig in the Sky. Where, depending on your possible pasts and the final cut of the trial, you’ll come back to life as an embryo, breathe, give birth to a smile and be welcomed to the machine again because the show must go on in the love scene of the Grand Vizier’s Garden Party.

(that’s 31... but I know you’re not counting)
Old 02-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #74
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Who is them?
It’s obvious that the ‘them’ Waters is referring to are the several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a pict. You can’t trust them cute little fuckers. Just as they hook you with the groove of their unknown song, BAM! they turn around and yell “Hey you!” then bite you in the flesh. You definitely don’t want to wish you were there, but if one of these days you find yourself marooned in that cave due to one slip of young lust or brain damage, you better waste no time on the turning away and run like hell crying for your Mother.

Otherwise, you’ll scream thy last scream, say goodbye cruel world and learn to fly in interstellar overdrive to the Great Gig in the Sky. Where, depending on your possible pasts and the final cut of the trial, you’ll come back to life as an embryo, breathe, give birth to a smile and be welcomed to the machine again because the show must go on in the love scene of the Grand Vizier’s Garden Party.

02-11-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Oh hell, we were having a big deep conversation in that other thread and I didn't remember it until now

I'll post in it soon
I think that Jambi thread came full circle. It began in honor of my son and ended with your tribute to your father.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #75
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Oh hell, we were having a big deep conversation in that other thread and I didn't remember it until now

I'll post in it soon
I think that Jambi thread came full circle. It began in honor of my son and ended with your tribute to your father.
02-11-2009, 07:39 PM

Careful With That Axe, Eugene.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #76
Level 8 - Vociferous

Careful With That Axe, Eugene.
02-12-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
nobody cares
speak for yourself, smokey.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:29 AM   #77
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
nobody cares
speak for yourself, smokey.
02-12-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseToYourHalo View Post

That could be fun
Old 02-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #78
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseToYourHalo View Post

That could be fun
02-12-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I disagree. Clearly the "them" are the flying monkeys in the well-known and completely not-a-sharpshooter-fallacy phenomenon of DSOTM syncing with the Wizard of Oz. I declare your statements bunk and also assert that you may in fact be a "Big, Stupid Doo-Doo Head™".
Although, I do have to say the flying Wizard of Oz monkeys do seem to fit better.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #79
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
I disagree. Clearly the "them" are the flying monkeys in the well-known and completely not-a-sharpshooter-fallacy phenomenon of DSOTM syncing with the Wizard of Oz. I declare your statements bunk and also assert that you may in fact be a "Big, Stupid Doo-Doo Head™".
Although, I do have to say the flying Wizard of Oz monkeys do seem to fit better.
02-12-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
those used to scare the shit out of me when i was little.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #80
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
those used to scare the shit out of me when i was little.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply