Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 03. Wings for Marie
User Name
Password
Enlightened One's Avatar Enlightened One
03-10-2010, 01:27 AM

So, tonight I was trying to explain Wings For Marie Part 1 and 10,000 Days (Wings Part 2) to a friend. We wound up getting into a heated debate over religion because of the whole thing and his perspective really drove me crazy. He thinks that Maynard is constantly (like, all of his music) trying to preach something to all of humanity. I was told that Maynard is just telling us all to believe what he is saying and to follow every word he says like we (Tool fans) are some twisted cult. The conversation wound up getting so bad that we were about to start beating the shit out of each other. It was pretty bad. I tried to explain to him that Maynard is mostly writing his music to inspire his fans to do something good with themselves. He is not trying to “preach” the "truth" to us. He is simply giving is something to think about (hopefully on a deeper level than most other people).

I don't know about everyone here, but in every Tool song, and in some of Maynard’s other songs (A Perfect Circle, Pucifer), Maynard seems to be trying to inspire us to question things and to look at everything in a different light. My friend just doesn't get this. And I know that I shouldn't really be getting on him about his opinion but it really drives me crazy when I hear someone say that Maynard is like some sort of "false prophet". It's complete madness!

In this song Maynard seems to be asking “God” and his mother why he was “worthy” enough to have such an amazing mom. What has he done “to be a son to an angle?” Then in Wings Part 2 he seems to be angry with “God” and telling “God” that he better give Judith her wings because she has been so incredibly faithful. Through out everything that Judith went through she held on to that faith in her “God” and in Maynard’s eyes, she deserves her wings.

I tried to explain this to my friend and he was completely pissed off with me for trying to tell him that Maynard is just trying to tell us things in hopes to inspire us to think and figure things out on our own. He is “questioning God”. There is nothing in his music that I would consider “preaching”. He is no “false prophet”. He is just a man trying to tell us about things.

I only wish that everyone on this planet had someone like that in their lives. What he does with his music is amazing and we should all have some sort of appreciation for it. He puts meaning into his songs. They are not just there to make money. I like to believe that there is a higher purpose to these lyrics.

I even explained what Tool and Maynard have done to change my life. Tool has inspired me enough to pick up my guitar and start writing music again. I even began writing my own lyrics in a way that I have never known. My perception of life has completely changed since I started to listen to Tool. Maynard is an amazing musician and singer and I don’t understand why some people (who are involved in music themselves) don’t appreciate what he has done with his songs.

“There is beauty in everything around us. All you have to do is look for it. When you find it, your life will be great. Look beyond the ugliness in the world around you and find the beauty. Be happy with your life.” —A phrase from my Grandfathers diary.

B.B.S.C. For life!
Old 03-10-2010, 01:27 AM   #1
I, lengthened eon

Bincount™: 144
Maynards view on things....

So, tonight I was trying to explain Wings For Marie Part 1 and 10,000 Days (Wings Part 2) to a friend. We wound up getting into a heated debate over religion because of the whole thing and his perspective really drove me crazy. He thinks that Maynard is constantly (like, all of his music) trying to preach something to all of humanity. I was told that Maynard is just telling us all to believe what he is saying and to follow every word he says like we (Tool fans) are some twisted cult. The conversation wound up getting so bad that we were about to start beating the shit out of each other. It was pretty bad. I tried to explain to him that Maynard is mostly writing his music to inspire his fans to do something good with themselves. He is not trying to “preach” the "truth" to us. He is simply giving is something to think about (hopefully on a deeper level than most other people).

I don't know about everyone here, but in every Tool song, and in some of Maynard’s other songs (A Perfect Circle, Pucifer), Maynard seems to be trying to inspire us to question things and to look at everything in a different light. My friend just doesn't get this. And I know that I shouldn't really be getting on him about his opinion but it really drives me crazy when I hear someone say that Maynard is like some sort of "false prophet". It's complete madness!

In this song Maynard seems to be asking “God” and his mother why he was “worthy” enough to have such an amazing mom. What has he done “to be a son to an angle?” Then in Wings Part 2 he seems to be angry with “God” and telling “God” that he better give Judith her wings because she has been so incredibly faithful. Through out everything that Judith went through she held on to that faith in her “God” and in Maynard’s eyes, she deserves her wings.

I tried to explain this to my friend and he was completely pissed off with me for trying to tell him that Maynard is just trying to tell us things in hopes to inspire us to think and figure things out on our own. He is “questioning God”. There is nothing in his music that I would consider “preaching”. He is no “false prophet”. He is just a man trying to tell us about things.

I only wish that everyone on this planet had someone like that in their lives. What he does with his music is amazing and we should all have some sort of appreciation for it. He puts meaning into his songs. They are not just there to make money. I like to believe that there is a higher purpose to these lyrics.

I even explained what Tool and Maynard have done to change my life. Tool has inspired me enough to pick up my guitar and start writing music again. I even began writing my own lyrics in a way that I have never known. My perception of life has completely changed since I started to listen to Tool. Maynard is an amazing musician and singer and I don’t understand why some people (who are involved in music themselves) don’t appreciate what he has done with his songs.

“There is beauty in everything around us. All you have to do is look for it. When you find it, your life will be great. Look beyond the ugliness in the world around you and find the beauty. Be happy with your life.” —A phrase from my Grandfathers diary.

B.B.S.C. For life!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Rolo's Avatar Rolo
03-10-2010, 12:43 PM

I think Maynard, as a non-believer, sings a farewell to his mother who held on to her believes untill the very end.

He spawned his frustrations on this subject way back (APC's Judith).

In Wings/10K he sets aside his own view on her faith and accepts that she has reached her destiny.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Jedi Master

Bincount™: 2635
Re: Maynards view on things....

I think Maynard, as a non-believer, sings a farewell to his mother who held on to her believes untill the very end.

He spawned his frustrations on this subject way back (APC's Judith).

In Wings/10K he sets aside his own view on her faith and accepts that she has reached her destiny.
03-10-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened One View Post
So your friend's problem is that he thinks Tool lyrics are too preachy?

It's really a matter of interpretation; Maynard does (or did) get fairly preachy in their live shows from time to time ("Repeat the non-conformist oath: think for yourself, question authority") but I think the key behind his messages is that it's something to think about, not something you absolutely must do, like a sermon in church. Sermons advocate; Maynard gives suggestions.

I dunno, I read your post a couple times, it seems like your friend has his head completely up his ass about what Maynard's lyrics are and refuses to see them any other way. Which is a big mistake when you consider that his lyrics are filled with poetic liberties and double (sometimes triple, quadruple) entendres.

When I first got into Tool, I remember going over to my buddy's house and listening to music and browsing the web (33.6k baby!) on his older brother's computer, which they shared. However, he (my friend's brother) HATED Maynard, with a passion. He was a christian, not too hardcore but he did go to church and participate in the youth group, and he said that Tool's songs were "blasphemous". He really hated Judith when it came out, heh. and if he found any Tool or APC songs on his computer, he'd delete them immediately. I remember we renamed Hush to something really stupid, like The Mud Puppies - Flowers so he wouldn't delete it, haha.

The point of that CSB (cool story, bro) was to illustrate that some people, even if they're cool enough for you to be friends with, might have a giant roadblock in their head something really random and stupid, and you just gotta ignore it. It's really hard to convince someone to change their fundamental beliefs, even if they are completely idiotic in other peoples' opinions.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Quote:
So your friend's problem is that he thinks Tool lyrics are too preachy?

It's really a matter of interpretation; Maynard does (or did) get fairly preachy in their live shows from time to time ("Repeat the non-conformist oath: think for yourself, question authority") but I think the key behind his messages is that it's something to think about, not something you absolutely must do, like a sermon in church. Sermons advocate; Maynard gives suggestions.

I dunno, I read your post a couple times, it seems like your friend has his head completely up his ass about what Maynard's lyrics are and refuses to see them any other way. Which is a big mistake when you consider that his lyrics are filled with poetic liberties and double (sometimes triple, quadruple) entendres.

When I first got into Tool, I remember going over to my buddy's house and listening to music and browsing the web (33.6k baby!) on his older brother's computer, which they shared. However, he (my friend's brother) HATED Maynard, with a passion. He was a christian, not too hardcore but he did go to church and participate in the youth group, and he said that Tool's songs were "blasphemous". He really hated Judith when it came out, heh. and if he found any Tool or APC songs on his computer, he'd delete them immediately. I remember we renamed Hush to something really stupid, like The Mud Puppies - Flowers so he wouldn't delete it, haha.

The point of that CSB (cool story, bro) was to illustrate that some people, even if they're cool enough for you to be friends with, might have a giant roadblock in their head something really random and stupid, and you just gotta ignore it. It's really hard to convince someone to change their fundamental beliefs, even if they are completely idiotic in other peoples' opinions.
03-12-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Are you me?

Ahem, well anyways... I've run into situations like this... not necessarily about Tool, but what I've found is that there are people who are genuinely open-minded, forgiving and understanding; then there are people who, while they may be perfectly nice people, are very stubborn, egotistical and set in their ways to the point where they are un-able to recognize their own flaws. I guess its a matter of certain people being comfortable with saying "I may not be right on this", without caving to whatever anyone tells them.

I guess if I could offer up my own example that would relate to this it would be conflicts I have with my professor(whom I also consider a friend). He's an incredibly smart and motivated man, very caring and forgiving. However when discussions get nudged into the realm of religion or politics; he being a very strong Christian and Republican and myself being what I would say a spiritual agnostic and Not-Quite-So-Liberal-But-Far-Left Democrat, I've learned to mute the discussion very quickly. I try to tell him how I based my decisions and choices in life and he feels completely differently. I respect him for his passion and intelligence and the fact that he attempts to have reasonable discussions with me on these topics, but I know that if I keep pushing someone will get hurt, especially if I (who have accomplished far less in my life than he) tell him that I live my life reacting with compassion, sympathy and empathy without believing in a Christian God, and not accepting Jesus as my savior. That I don't need God to feel inspired and to have a path in my life. I've worked out who I am and where I am in this world on my own. And I feel comfortable with that.

People make their own choices (lol, total quote from an interview with maynard), But I choose to believe that there is more between us all that bonds us rather than separates us... and I feel that it is much more important in life to establish those bonds first rather than dwelling on differences. If someone chooses to believe in something that has a positive effect on themselves and those around them... then its a good thing. I would never tell my professor (Paul) that I think it's ridiculous that given his profession (science related) he would never think to question his belief in what I feel is an archaic, ancient form of law enforcement based of people's fundamental fear of the great unknown, death. He's a great person and a great teacher and I'm proud to call him my friend.

Before I finish I would like to say that my first paragraph doesn't necessarily apply to the rest of my post. I might think that Paul is stubborn and egotistical at times, but I would not consider his beliefs to be a flaw. His flaws lay elsewhere, lol. ;)
Old 03-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860

Quote:
Are you me?

Ahem, well anyways... I've run into situations like this... not necessarily about Tool, but what I've found is that there are people who are genuinely open-minded, forgiving and understanding; then there are people who, while they may be perfectly nice people, are very stubborn, egotistical and set in their ways to the point where they are un-able to recognize their own flaws. I guess its a matter of certain people being comfortable with saying "I may not be right on this", without caving to whatever anyone tells them.

I guess if I could offer up my own example that would relate to this it would be conflicts I have with my professor(whom I also consider a friend). He's an incredibly smart and motivated man, very caring and forgiving. However when discussions get nudged into the realm of religion or politics; he being a very strong Christian and Republican and myself being what I would say a spiritual agnostic and Not-Quite-So-Liberal-But-Far-Left Democrat, I've learned to mute the discussion very quickly. I try to tell him how I based my decisions and choices in life and he feels completely differently. I respect him for his passion and intelligence and the fact that he attempts to have reasonable discussions with me on these topics, but I know that if I keep pushing someone will get hurt, especially if I (who have accomplished far less in my life than he) tell him that I live my life reacting with compassion, sympathy and empathy without believing in a Christian God, and not accepting Jesus as my savior. That I don't need God to feel inspired and to have a path in my life. I've worked out who I am and where I am in this world on my own. And I feel comfortable with that.

People make their own choices (lol, total quote from an interview with maynard), But I choose to believe that there is more between us all that bonds us rather than separates us... and I feel that it is much more important in life to establish those bonds first rather than dwelling on differences. If someone chooses to believe in something that has a positive effect on themselves and those around them... then its a good thing. I would never tell my professor (Paul) that I think it's ridiculous that given his profession (science related) he would never think to question his belief in what I feel is an archaic, ancient form of law enforcement based of people's fundamental fear of the great unknown, death. He's a great person and a great teacher and I'm proud to call him my friend.

Before I finish I would like to say that my first paragraph doesn't necessarily apply to the rest of my post. I might think that Paul is stubborn and egotistical at times, but I would not consider his beliefs to be a flaw. His flaws lay elsewhere, lol. ;)
InertUniformity's Avatar InertUniformity
03-12-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a more hackneyed version of a line from American Beauty. A nice idea nonetheless.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 104

Quote:
Sounds like a more hackneyed version of a line from American Beauty. A nice idea nonetheless.
03-12-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InertUniformity View Post
I have no idea where it came from. He would write a bunch of quotes in it. Some were his and others were just things he heard that he liked.

B.B.S.C. For life!
Old 03-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
I, lengthened eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by InertUniformity View Post
I have no idea where it came from. He would write a bunch of quotes in it. Some were his and others were just things he heard that he liked.

B.B.S.C. For life!
Enlightened One's Avatar Enlightened One
03-12-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post
Are you me?

This explains him perfectly.

B.B.S.C. For life!
Old 03-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
I, lengthened eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elusivEuphoria View Post
Are you me?

This explains him perfectly.

B.B.S.C. For life!
3stars
06-03-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:

I agree with you about Tool and Maynard (how awesome they are and extemely inspirational) I have a lot to learn about the band, i'm very new to the band (about 3 months) but i'm just like speechless to their incredible music and lyrics. WOW!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:

I agree with you about Tool and Maynard (how awesome they are and extemely inspirational) I have a lot to learn about the band, i'm very new to the band (about 3 months) but i'm just like speechless to their incredible music and lyrics. WOW!
06-11-2010, 03:15 PM

Read your message more thouroughly today, I can completely relate to the way you feel about TOOL and with Maynards' lyrics. and i feel your frustration with your friends' opinioin, but everyone is intitled to their own opinion and i think to remain friends you both need to agree to disagree, respect each other as long as you both are well meaning people. i've read some interviews that Maynard has done and i relate to his points of view and it's rare that i can relate to anyone. i know that's one of the reasons i'm so drawn to his music along with the MASSIVE TALANT OF ALL OF THE MEMBERS OF THE BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Read your message more thouroughly today, I can completely relate to the way you feel about TOOL and with Maynards' lyrics. and i feel your frustration with your friends' opinioin, but everyone is intitled to their own opinion and i think to remain friends you both need to agree to disagree, respect each other as long as you both are well meaning people. i've read some interviews that Maynard has done and i relate to his points of view and it's rare that i can relate to anyone. i know that's one of the reasons i'm so drawn to his music along with the MASSIVE TALANT OF ALL OF THE MEMBERS OF THE BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
07-27-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
He thinks that Maynard is constantly (like, all of his music) trying to preach something to all of humanity. I was told that Maynard is just telling us all to believe what he is saying and to follow every word he says like we (Tool fans) are some twisted cult.
I can't say if this applies to your friend but I find that there are people who seem to be hard wired to interpret things literally no matter how many clues there are that a literal interpretation is NOT intended. I have encountered people who felt this way about John Lennon as well.

It almost goes without saying that many folks who track this way tend to be religious fundamentalist. And to a person who believes that the Bible or the Koran or the Torah is LITERALLY the WORD of GOD, any questioning of that belief may be interpreted as a personal attack.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
He thinks that Maynard is constantly (like, all of his music) trying to preach something to all of humanity. I was told that Maynard is just telling us all to believe what he is saying and to follow every word he says like we (Tool fans) are some twisted cult.
I can't say if this applies to your friend but I find that there are people who seem to be hard wired to interpret things literally no matter how many clues there are that a literal interpretation is NOT intended. I have encountered people who felt this way about John Lennon as well.

It almost goes without saying that many folks who track this way tend to be religious fundamentalist. And to a person who believes that the Bible or the Koran or the Torah is LITERALLY the WORD of GOD, any questioning of that belief may be interpreted as a personal attack.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply