Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 03. Wings for Marie
User Name
Password
briavael
07-11-2009, 02:11 PM

Tool has been my salve since my teenage years. I've been an unabashed fan even when I didn't really understand their work. The music is dense with many layers and requires many repeated listens. And your perspective changes as you grow with the songs. In short, I believe that Tool's influence on rock music will be like Beethoven's contribution to the Romantic period.

Wings for Marie/10000 Days is the zenith of their work so far. The song structure unfolds like an Indian raga and is exquisitely executed starting with the alap and culminating in the jhala. Considering their past work with Aloke Dutta and Danny Carey's interest in tabla, it is certainly not coincidental. I find people grow impatient with the almost 20 minute journey between these 2 movements. Our culture sadly places little value in reflective and meditative states, but that is the best approach for this song (I don't separate them into 2 "tracks" like the CD producers found it necessary to do).

Adam Jones may not be the flashy guitarist, but his genius shows with the way he strikes the notes and chords in these 2 songs. Maynard James Keenan's vocals consist of quarter tone notes that add even more to the element of Indian music influence. Justin and Danny's parts unfold throughout the song culminating in the fast pace and rhythm in the final few minutes of the song.

I know there are many who consider these 2 songs "overrated" but they truly showcase why Tool fans find most modern rock music tedium.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Indian Raga Influence

Tool has been my salve since my teenage years. I've been an unabashed fan even when I didn't really understand their work. The music is dense with many layers and requires many repeated listens. And your perspective changes as you grow with the songs. In short, I believe that Tool's influence on rock music will be like Beethoven's contribution to the Romantic period.

Wings for Marie/10000 Days is the zenith of their work so far. The song structure unfolds like an Indian raga and is exquisitely executed starting with the alap and culminating in the jhala. Considering their past work with Aloke Dutta and Danny Carey's interest in tabla, it is certainly not coincidental. I find people grow impatient with the almost 20 minute journey between these 2 movements. Our culture sadly places little value in reflective and meditative states, but that is the best approach for this song (I don't separate them into 2 "tracks" like the CD producers found it necessary to do).

Adam Jones may not be the flashy guitarist, but his genius shows with the way he strikes the notes and chords in these 2 songs. Maynard James Keenan's vocals consist of quarter tone notes that add even more to the element of Indian music influence. Justin and Danny's parts unfold throughout the song culminating in the fast pace and rhythm in the final few minutes of the song.

I know there are many who consider these 2 songs "overrated" but they truly showcase why Tool fans find most modern rock music tedium.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
inSin's Avatar inSin
07-13-2009, 01:02 PM

wow great first post. most of the time the only way i can listen to songs like Wings, Pushit, and D/R/T is during a meditative state.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1
Re: Indian Raga Influence

wow great first post. most of the time the only way i can listen to songs like Wings, Pushit, and D/R/T is during a meditative state.
inSin's Avatar inSin
07-14-2009, 05:11 PM

reflection is the most droning song. the repetitiveness puts you in a trance.. unless i'm thinking drone means something else.

Last edited by inSin; 07-14-2009 at 09:48 PM..
Old 07-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

reflection is the most droning song. the repetitiveness puts you in a trance.. unless i'm thinking drone means something else.

Last edited by inSin; 07-14-2009 at 09:48 PM..
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
07-16-2009, 01:30 PM

I think Wings is just amazing. I almost think Pink Floyd when I listen to it, it's by far one of the most atmospheric songs they've ever made.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

I think Wings is just amazing. I almost think Pink Floyd when I listen to it, it's by far one of the most atmospheric songs they've ever made.
07-22-2009, 09:37 AM

excellent post briaivel, thanks a lot, its such a precious insight for me to see the connection with compositional styles that are not typically western in this definitive Tool masterpiece. ill pay more attention next time i listen to WFM. i wonder if you could explain what is "alap" and "jhala" and what exactly it means in relation to song's structure...
Old 07-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

excellent post briaivel, thanks a lot, its such a precious insight for me to see the connection with compositional styles that are not typically western in this definitive Tool masterpiece. ill pay more attention next time i listen to WFM. i wonder if you could explain what is "alap" and "jhala" and what exactly it means in relation to song's structure...
Angel on the Sideline
10-14-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briavael View Post
... (I don't separate them into 2 "tracks" like the CD producers found it necessary to do). ...
This strays from your main point, but I find it difficult to believe that the guys in TOOL did not personally approve of having the tracks split into two songs. There may be a definitive answer on this elsewhere on the site, but there has to be a reason the track listing shows them as separate songs. I know the band considers the suite to be one song, just like it considers Disposition/Reflection/Triad to be one song.

But TOOL has reached the point in the band's career where it has earned the right to call the shots. I don't think a producer or record company is dictating to them how to list their tracks. My inkling is that the band either A) Directly chose to do list them as two separate songs or B) At the very least, said, "Okay, sure" when someone outside the band suggested they do so.

Knowing how much the band pores over every detail, not the least of which includes the art, leads me to believe they approved the track listing as we see it on the album.

Anyone else have any input on this?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by briavael View Post
... (I don't separate them into 2 "tracks" like the CD producers found it necessary to do). ...
This strays from your main point, but I find it difficult to believe that the guys in TOOL did not personally approve of having the tracks split into two songs. There may be a definitive answer on this elsewhere on the site, but there has to be a reason the track listing shows them as separate songs. I know the band considers the suite to be one song, just like it considers Disposition/Reflection/Triad to be one song.

But TOOL has reached the point in the band's career where it has earned the right to call the shots. I don't think a producer or record company is dictating to them how to list their tracks. My inkling is that the band either A) Directly chose to do list them as two separate songs or B) At the very least, said, "Okay, sure" when someone outside the band suggested they do so.

Knowing how much the band pores over every detail, not the least of which includes the art, leads me to believe they approved the track listing as we see it on the album.

Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
10-19-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel on the Sideline View Post

I know that they fought long and hard to have their own creative control for their music, however, I'm not sure how much control they have and how much the record company does. They may have full creative control or majority at least I believe.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel on the Sideline View Post

I know that they fought long and hard to have their own creative control for their music, however, I'm not sure how much control they have and how much the record company does. They may have full creative control or majority at least I believe.
11-26-2009, 08:32 AM

Hi This is Fregzius.
I basically do not so aware of the Indian Culture and all about it, but the Indian Songs are really good to hear.
Thanks.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:32 AM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

Hi This is Fregzius.
I basically do not so aware of the Indian Culture and all about it, but the Indian Songs are really good to hear.
Thanks.
01-10-2010, 09:52 AM

also pushit live puts me in a trance
Old 01-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

also pushit live puts me in a trance

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply