Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
Bassfreeker
05-15-2006, 03:24 PM

Hi, my band has recently recorded a demo and one of our songs has ended up having a Tool kinda vibe to it. Check it out and let me know what you think, thanks!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=800728&T=3980
Old 05-15-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
My Band's Toolish Song... Feedback Please!

Hi, my band has recently recorded a demo and one of our songs has ended up having a Tool kinda vibe to it. Check it out and let me know what you think, thanks!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=800728&T=3980
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Electric Wizard's Avatar Electric Wizard
05-15-2006, 08:43 PM

It has a Tool kinda vibe to it.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:43 PM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 53
Re: My Band's Toolish Song... Feedback Please!

It has a Tool kinda vibe to it.
Bassfreeker
05-18-2006, 07:45 AM

C'mon! One comment?!
Old 05-18-2006, 07:45 AM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

C'mon! One comment?!
SynapticSatisfaction
05-18-2006, 09:29 PM

Listened to it 1/2 way through.

You need to mix the vocals down. They are so forward that it makes it difficult to concentrate. Having said that, I don't like the singer. He sounds awkward and unconfident. Also has a little of the "kermit" voice going on in some parts. Vocal melody isn't very dynamic and he goes out of his way to make certain words fit the spaces and it gets awkward.

I thought the intro was alright. The distortion sound is good and all. After that, the music just meanders. And put that damn bass up in the mix. Get more dynamic and make everything go somewhere. The main riff isn't interesting enough to me to be the main focus throughout.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:29 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Listened to it 1/2 way through.

You need to mix the vocals down. They are so forward that it makes it difficult to concentrate. Having said that, I don't like the singer. He sounds awkward and unconfident. Also has a little of the "kermit" voice going on in some parts. Vocal melody isn't very dynamic and he goes out of his way to make certain words fit the spaces and it gets awkward.

I thought the intro was alright. The distortion sound is good and all. After that, the music just meanders. And put that damn bass up in the mix. Get more dynamic and make everything go somewhere. The main riff isn't interesting enough to me to be the main focus throughout.
Insanekat's Avatar Insanekat
05-21-2006, 09:46 PM

I like the guitar a lot, I agree with above poster, intro was good. Can't say I'm a fan of the vocals though. I'm no expert on any of this though so that's just my opinion.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:46 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

I like the guitar a lot, I agree with above poster, intro was good. Can't say I'm a fan of the vocals though. I'm no expert on any of this though so that's just my opinion.
05-22-2006, 02:11 PM

Fire your singer and learn some new chords, drop D will only take you so far. Awesome drumming though, and I like the build up. Maybe add some more effects and work on the mixing as far as the fade in and outs of the tracks in between the heavy and soft parts. Not trying to be harsh, that's just what I'd do. Oh and don't try to sound like Tool; music is much better when you just do your own thing. Expirement for fuck's sake.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:11 PM   #6
farealzio (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 329

Fire your singer and learn some new chords, drop D will only take you so far. Awesome drumming though, and I like the build up. Maybe add some more effects and work on the mixing as far as the fade in and outs of the tracks in between the heavy and soft parts. Not trying to be harsh, that's just what I'd do. Oh and don't try to sound like Tool; music is much better when you just do your own thing. Expirement for fuck's sake.
05-26-2006, 08:27 PM

The mix is rough to me, I have to agree with alot of what was said by the above poster. The vocalist just doesn't come through convincingly strong, like he might be holding back some. The drumming is very good and the music holds up for the most part, at times it is a bit repetitive. However, if this song was cleaned up and tweaked, it would be a interesting listen.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:27 PM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

The mix is rough to me, I have to agree with alot of what was said by the above poster. The vocalist just doesn't come through convincingly strong, like he might be holding back some. The drumming is very good and the music holds up for the most part, at times it is a bit repetitive. However, if this song was cleaned up and tweaked, it would be a interesting listen.
blitzedge's Avatar blitzedge
05-26-2006, 09:36 PM

i thought it was cool. like what they said toward the top, lyrics are rough, drumming is decent though. how'd you guys mix this?? consider protools.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:36 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

i thought it was cool. like what they said toward the top, lyrics are rough, drumming is decent though. how'd you guys mix this?? consider protools.
sound.out.light's Avatar sound.out.light
05-26-2006, 09:58 PM

meh..the main riff of the song is a bit boring....and it sounds like you guys are trying to hard to make something proggy...it ends up sounding too drawn out in parts and too repetitive in others..i think if you made the song more concise it would help tremendously..and your singer doesnt have the greatest voice..id suggest turning him down in the mix, turning your bassist up in the mix and some effects on the vocals would help a little..even if you just did like double vocal tracks.,.your singer doesnt have a tone that translates well in such a dry mix..thats for rod stewart..and trying to sound like tool never works..just do your own thing..
it could be something in a few years..just find your niche
Old 05-26-2006, 09:58 PM   #9
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 165

meh..the main riff of the song is a bit boring....and it sounds like you guys are trying to hard to make something proggy...it ends up sounding too drawn out in parts and too repetitive in others..i think if you made the song more concise it would help tremendously..and your singer doesnt have the greatest voice..id suggest turning him down in the mix, turning your bassist up in the mix and some effects on the vocals would help a little..even if you just did like double vocal tracks.,.your singer doesnt have a tone that translates well in such a dry mix..thats for rod stewart..and trying to sound like tool never works..just do your own thing..
it could be something in a few years..just find your niche
TheBigTool
05-28-2006, 09:09 AM

music wasn't too bad. a little too repetitive and the singer, unfortunately, doesn't fit the music IMO. Just not strong enough. I wouldn't buy it, but far better than I could ever do so respect to you.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:09 AM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

music wasn't too bad. a little too repetitive and the singer, unfortunately, doesn't fit the music IMO. Just not strong enough. I wouldn't buy it, but far better than I could ever do so respect to you.
utertag
06-01-2006, 08:45 AM

This song has potential. I might adding more dynamics, i.e. more drastic tempo changes. Turn down and normalize the vocal track, possibly somer everb, too. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:45 AM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

This song has potential. I might adding more dynamics, i.e. more drastic tempo changes. Turn down and normalize the vocal track, possibly somer everb, too. Good luck.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply